1. Batman Begins
2. Batman
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5. The Dark Knight
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman 66
8. Batman & Robin

I honestly don't know what rating I'd give them all, I just know that's how I rank them. Begins has grown on me over the years and it feels more like a real Batman movie than TDK does, IMO. The Burton movies are still my personal preference overall, but Batman is flawed and Returns is silly at times. I never had much of an interest in the Schumacher movies, from the beginning I was disappointed at the change in cast, director, score, and style. I put MotP above TDK for also having a more Batmanish feel but it's never been a particular favorite for me, so it goes below the Burton movies.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight 10/10
Batman Begins 10/10
Batman 89 9/10
Batman Returns 8/10
Batman Forever 7/10
Batman 66 7/10
Batman and Robin 0/10

1. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight 10/10
2. Batman 89 9/10
3. Batman Returns 8/10
4. Batman Forever 7/10
5. Batman & Robin 0/10

Animated movies (the ones I seen)
1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 10/10
2. Batman: Under The Red Hood 8/10
3. Batman/Mr Freeze: SubZero 8/10
4. Batman/Superman: The Movie 7/10
5. Batman: Gotham Knight 7/10
6. Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker 7/10
7. Batman Mystery Of The Batwoman 6/10
8. The Batman vs Dracula 5/10

The Dark Knight 10/10
Batman Begins 10/10
Batman 89 9/10
Batman Returns 8/10
Batman Forever 7/10
Batman 66 7/10
Batman and Robin 0/10

i think you meant 10/10 for Batman & Robin and its epic-ness

1. Batman 89 - 9/10
2. Batman Returns - 10/10
3. Batman Forever - 7/10
4. Batman and Robin - 6/10
I give Batman Forever and Batman and Robin the rating I did because I've always enjoyed both on them. the same way I enjoy Batman 66. A kind of live-action cartoon.
5. Batman Begins - 8/10
6. The Dark Knight - 5/10
And I give TDK the rating I do because I don't care much for the film as a Batman movie. As a stand alone film, it's incredibly well written, incredibly well acted, incredibly well scored. Incredibly well made. As a film alone I gove it 10/10. but as a Batman film I give it 5/10. It never felt like a Batman movie to me.

Animated Films
1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 10/10
2. Batman: Under The Red Hood 8/10
3. Batman/Mr Freeze: SubZero 10/10
4. Batman/Superman: The Movie 5/10
5. Batman: Gotham Knight 8/10
6. Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker 8/10
7. Batman Mystery Of The Batwoman 7/10
8. The Batman vs Dracula 5/10

Last edited:
The Dark Knight 9/10
Batman Begins 8/10
Batman 8/10
Batman Returns 8/10
Batman Forever 6/10
Batman & Robin 4/10

Last edited:
6. The Dark Knight - 5/10
And I give TDK the rating I do because I don't care much for the film as a Batman movie. As a stand alone film, it's incredibly well written, incredibly well acted, incredibly well scored. Incredibly well made. As a film alone I gove it 10/10. but as a Batman film I give it 5/10. It never felt like a Batman movie to me.

I agree. Some say it's a positive trait, that it gives it more respectability because it doesn't feel like a Batman or comic book movie normally would.. but I think it needs that feel, that atmosphere. As it is, it feels like the true story of a man who tried to make Batman a reality rather than simply BEING Batman.

I agree. Some say it's a positive trait, that it gives it more respectability because it doesn't feel like a Batman or comic book movie normally would.. but I think it needs that feel, that atmosphere. As it is, it feels like the true story of a man who tried to make Batman a reality rather than simply BEING Batman.
There's actually dozens of Batman comics that have that same gritty realistic tone that The Dark Knight has.

How TDK "feels" is actually very faithful to the comics.

The Dark Knight very much feels like a Batman movie to me.

It has Batman in it fighting crime to the best of his abilities, even going so far as to cross major lines to get it done, alienating himself from his allies in the process at times (much like he has done in the comics).

It has James Gordon having to deal with the responsibilities of having to lead a police force, as both captain and commissioner, and fight crime to the best of his abilities alongside Batman, a relationship that both hurts and helps him, which is very much like the comics.

It has Harvey Dent using the law to fight crime, both helping Batman and Gordon and using their help in order to succeed, but his own personal flaws cause him to become a criminal when tragedy brings his true nature to the forefront. As a result, he goes from one of Batman’s allies to one of Batman’s enemies. This is very much like the comics.

It has The Joker, causing absolute chaos and anarchy all for the purpose of having fun, as well as exposing what he perceives as hypocrisy from the so-called "normal people" by doing horrible things to them that pushes them to the breaking point, all the while inspiring fear among Gotham citizens and making himself enemy #1 in Gotham. This is very much like the comics.

Some of Batman's allies get hurt and or killed in his battle with The Joker, much like has happened in the comics.

Batman fights gangsters and mobsters, much like he has done in the comics. He uses his skills and gadgets to pull off spectacular feats of heroism, much like does in the comics all the time. He works with and fights the Gotham police force, much like he does in the comics.

The Joker kills people without mercy, without remorse, and takes pleasure and great fun in doing it, like he has done in the comics since the 70's and when he was first created.

Alfred is there to comfort him, and give him tough love and advice, like he always is doing in the comics.

Bruce Wayne's public persona in Gotham is that of a good looking rich playboy who is incompetent and irresponsible, because Bruce creates that persona so no one could tie Bruce Wayne and Batman together, which is the way it's been in the comics for years.

So in what way is The Dark Knight NOT a Batman movie again? I am confused.

Batman Begins - 8/10
The Dark Knight -10/10
Batman -11/10
Batman Returns - 7/10
Batman Forever - 6/10
Batman and Robin - 4/10

There's actually dozens of Batman comics that have that same gritty realistic tone that The Dark Knight has.

How TDK "feels" is actually very faithful to the comics.

It has Batman in it fighting crime to the best of his abilities, even going so far as to cross major lines to get it done, alienating himself from his allies in the process at times (much like he has done in the comics).

It has James Gordon having to deal with the responsibilities of having to lead a police force, as both captain and commissioner, and fight crime to the best of his abilities alongside Batman, a relationship that both hurts and helps him, which is very much like the comics.

It has Harvey Dent using the law to fight crime, both helping Batman and Gordon and using their help in order to succeed, but his own personal flaws cause him to become a criminal when tragedy brings his true nature to the forefront. As a result, he goes from one of Batman’s allies to one of Batman’s enemies. This is very much like the comics.

It has The Joker, causing absolute chaos and anarchy all for the purpose of having fun, as well as exposing what he perceives as hypocrisy from the so-called "normal people" by doing horrible things to them that pushes them to the breaking point, all the while inspiring fear among Gotham citizens and making himself enemy #1 in Gotham. This is very much like the comics.

Some of Batman's allies get hurt and or killed in his battle with The Joker, much like has happened in the comics.

Batman fights gangsters and mobsters, much like he has done in the comics. He uses his skills and gadgets to pull off spectacular feats of heroism, much like does in the comics all the time. He works with and fights the Gotham police force, much like he does in the comics.

The Joker kills people without mercy, without remorse, and takes pleasure and great fun in doing it, like he has done in the comics since the 70's and when he was first created.

Alfred is there to comfort him, and give him tough love and advice, like he always is doing in the comics.

Bruce Wayne's public persona in Gotham is that of a good looking rich playboy who is incompetent and irresponsible, because Bruce creates that persona so no one could tie Bruce Wayne and Batman together, which is the way it's been in the comics for years.

Agreed.

The Dark Knight - 5/5
Batman Returns - 4/5
Batman Begins - 4/5
Batman - 2/5
Batman Forever - 2/5
Batman and Robin - 1/5

And just to be clear, I do like Batman Begins and think it has the right atmosphere. There's just something cold and clinical about TDK compared to it.

It's not the plot or characterizations, it's the atmosphere. It feels far too plain for something that's supposed to feel larger than life. Batman shouldn't come off like a SWAT officer with pointy ears and a cape. That's just my preference.

But just to be clear, I do like Batman Begins, and I think they got the feel right. I think The Dark Knight fell prey to the same things Batman Returns and Batman & Robin did: the director went too far with their style. Returns was far more Burtonish (quirky and macabre) than the first, Batman & Robin was far more colorful and campy than Batman Forever, and The Dark Knight is far more "real life" than Batman Begins, even despite some of the unrealistic things that happened.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight didn't feel anymore "real life" to me than Batman Begins did, or comic book stories like Batman Year One did. Actually, Year One is one of the most "real life" Batman stories I've ever read, and Nolan's films are far more fantastical and larger than life compared to it. Not really sure where the problem is.

To me, Dark Knight was as much of a Batman film as Batman Begins was, and as much, if not more, than both Burton and Joel's movies combined.

First class post :up:

In order of enjoyment.

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman (1989)
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman (1966)
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman and Robin

It's not the plot or characterizations, it's the atmosphere. It feels far too plain for something that's supposed to feel larger than life. Batman shouldn't come off like a SWAT officer with pointy ears and a cape. That's just my preference.
Then I feel kind of bad for you. Because there's literally years of Batman comics written by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker (two of the absolute best comic book writers working today) that portray Batman in an extremely realistic way. Comics that have that same gritty atmosphere as TDK - and are pretty damn good to boot.

I understand the appreciation for a dark and gothic atmosphere - it's one of my favorite things about B89 - but to fault either TDK or BB for their atmosphere...is like faulting popcorn for being too salty. Or the bible for being too preachy. What TDK portrays...is a pretty core trait of the character itself. And while having preferences is fine...it should never limit your appreciation or enjoyment of the character.

In my opinion, of course.

Then I feel kind of bad for you. Because there's literally years of Batman comics written by Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker (two of the absolute best comic book writers working today) that portray Batman in an extremely realistic way. Comics that have that same gritty atmosphere as TDK - and are pretty damn good to boot.

I understand the appreciation for a dark and gothic atmosphere - it's one of my favorite things about B89 - but to fault either TDK or BB for their atmosphere...is like faulting popcorn for being too salty. Or the bible for being too preachy. What TDK portrays...is a pretty core trait of the character itself. And while having preferences is fine...it should never limit your appreciation or enjoyment of the character.

In my opinion, of course.

Don't feel bad for me, TDK just didn't do it for me. Not everyone's going to like even the most widely praised movies. Admittedly, I've always been more of a Burton Batman fan and not JUST a Batman fan, so yeah, the gothic atmosphere is something I prefer Batman to have. But really, it's not just that. I just feel that since Batman is a superhero and he's supposed to be larger than life that the atmosphere shouldn't betray that. Like I said, it's not the actual plot or even the script, it's just the way it's directed. It's just too sterile, like a police procedural. To me, anyway... but lets just agree to disagree. I know I'm in the minority.

I just feel that since Batman is a superhero and he's supposed to be larger than life that the atmosphere shouldn't betray that. Like I said, it's not the actual plot or even the script, it's just the way it's directed. It's just too sterile, like a police procedural. To me, anyway... but lets just agree to disagree. I know I'm in the minority.

I feel the exact same way about Nolan's Batman. I don't like that it's seemingly grounded in today's reality. It bores me, or rather, doesn't interest me. And you described it perfectly... it's too sterile.

It's fine to prefer a certain look for a Batman story or movie, but I thought it was a bit much that people on here were saying The Dark Knight "is not even a real Batman movie". Uh, yes it is a real Batman movie. It may be a Batman movie that didn't have the look that you want the character to have, but it's no less valid of a take on the character and it fits with a lot of the popular source material.

Why is it any less of a Batman movie than Burton's? Because of the lack of goth? That's absurd.

There has always been more to Batman than any one look or feel in the comics. Why should the movies restrict itself to just one look or feel? Why can't we have different visual styles? If every Batman movie had Burton's look, it would get boring and stale after awhile.

It's fine to prefer a certain look for a Batman story or movie, but I thought it was a bit much that people on here were saying The Dark Knight "is not even a real Batman movie". Uh, yes it is a real Batman movie. It may be a Batman movie that didn't have the look that you want the character to have, but it's no less valid of a take on the character and it fits with a lot of the popular source material.

Why is it any less of a Batman movie than Burton's? Because of the lack of goth? That's absurd.

There has always been more to Batman than any one look or feel in the comics. Why should the movies restrict itself to just one look or feel? Why can't we have different visual styles? If every Batman movie had Burton's look, it would get boring and stale after awhile.

I don't recall anyone saying that they want a Tim Burton rip off. Well maybe a COUPLE of people. If anything I see a number of people saying that they'd rather prefer the look from Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins. To some people the visuals are important because this is a movie after all. There's nothing wrong with that. When I watched TDK with my father, who used to read the comics when he was a kid, the first thing he said was "that doesn't look like Gotham City".

I agree.... it feels like a Batman movie and it is a great film. It is my favorite film and I even gave it a high ranking on the other page however I never agreed with the visuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"