New Mutants Rate The New Mutants teaser!

Well I knew that this was supposed kind of have horror elements.

But I was expecting something less cliche like The Fly or The Thing.

But I guess there's only one way to do horror these days.

While I can't blame Fox for trying to diversify the superhero genre this felt gimmicky, forced and generic.

Usually I rate trailers based on emotional impact and replay value.

This gets a 6 and only because of the cast and a bit of novelty.

I wish Fox the best with this but please don't experiment with X-Force. Go for accuracy and the fanbase like Deadpool.

It does look like they are experimenting with the New Mutants, I do wonder if this gets a sequel, will they continue the horror/suspense vibe? The New Mutants aren't really that dark and gloomy in the comics.

I think the horror elements are good to build up some of the weirder elements of New Mutants, make those a bit more grounded, and then go a bit less horror-focused in the sequel.

A slasher sequel perhaps? I think for the sequel they should take the fantasy route.

I don’t think it’s experimenting. Demon Bear is a horror story...just like Uncanny X-Men #143 Where Kitty Pryde is stuck alone in the mansion and fights a demon. Hell the Brood are Alien knockoffs. Their stories tip toe into horror genre.

But New mutants the comic book series isn't a horror comic book series. Anyway, the X-Men comics have variety of sci fi, fantasy, supernatural, action and comedy elements. New Mutants shouldn't be limited under the horror genre. And are we still supposed to be scared when these Mutants finally display their mutant abilities?

Watched the teaser a few more times and it actually grew on me.

Also, Blu Hunt is cuuuute.

The Anya girl is rocking the fringe and the Charlie guy looks like Harry Styles.

Gave it a 6 bordering on 5. Cinematography looks good, actors look good, but the horror elements are kind of cheap and lazy, but they've only finished filming a while ago and since it's a teaser I imagine many elements of the movie are still hidden. I'm giving it a chance.

This looks like hot garbage to me.

Then again, I hate horror films but love superhero films. So, I'll see it but it really does look like a bad TV show.

But New mutants the comic book series isn't a horror comic book series. Anyway, the X-Men comics have variety of sci fi, fantasy, supernatural, action and comedy elements. New Mutants shouldn't be limited under the horror genre. And are we still supposed to be scared when these Mutants finally display their mutant abilities?

But the story they are pulling from is.
Whether we’re scared when they use their powers is up to filmmakers to figure out. To be completely honest I don’t know because I’ve never seen a superhero horror movie before. This is all uncharted territory.

Is fox trying to promote the new mutants as a horror movie ?

The production values looks like something from blumhouse (an enclosed set throughout the whole movie).......

I hope they are not under-budgeting this movie like how they did for fantastic 4.

Horror elements are effective when they are used to increase tension, build an environment without showing much, keep the suspense and hint at horror, this came across like they were trying too hard for me.

So, meh. Though cast looks great.

this is worst teaser for such interesting, fresh movie.

ignore x men , you get generic boring cliche trailer.
I'm really surprised how bad it is..

I think if this were not a movie based on The New Mutant and has nothing to do with the X-Men universe, it might be okay, but if it's really based on the Demon Bear storyline then there's not much to be excited about. I like the young cast, especially Maisie Williams from GOT, but I'm not that excited about this trailer. Then again, with Deadpool pretty much just create its own universe, maybe this movie will too.

This looks like hot garbage to me.

Then again, I hate horror films but love superhero films. So, I'll see it but it really does look like a bad TV show.

I am curious why "TV show?"

I am just wondering that after a decade of people increasingly turning moviegoing into something they do for "event films" (superheroes, fantasy, maybe a war movie, etc.) that more moviegoers now associate horror as a TV genre thanks to shows like American Horror Story, Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Penny Dreadful, and so on.

I know horror movies can still be hits (look at Split, Get Out, and It just this year), but they are all making obviously a lot less money than superhero movies. So is a wider audience now just not used to seeing horror on the big screen? Because honestly, the only reason I can assume that folks say it looks like television is because there are very few computer generated effects in the trailer, and there is an emphasis on characters and practical effects in what was teased.

I don't mind their current play with genre, especially if they stay relatively true to the source and continue to deliver solid X-Men installments, and perhaps one final original cast installment. Sorry, I still have my hopes up.

Making a heist film out of Gambit also sounds like a fresh turn. That rumored storyline a few weeks ago was pretty exciting.

btw, we still haven't seen any memorable chick fights in any any comic book films not just Fox, have we? I find it's so odd given it's been 17 years since X-Men.

I don't mind their current play with genre, especially if they stay relatively true to the source and continue to deliver solid X-Men installments, and perhaps one final original cast installment. Sorry, I still have my hopes up.

1b670a9370aa732432bcebe80fb98894.gif

You can keep hoping.

I am just baffled why would they hide a girl who can turn into a wolf, a girl with a sword and who can teleport, Lockheed, a man on fire, Warlock. And I am not asking them to show me the whole movie but as someone who's familiar with the source material, those things should have been showcased in the teaser trailer. Remove the Marvel logo and the reference to the Mutants and rename the movie to teen asylum, And it could just be another Indie horror flick coming out.

Don't understand why you're baffled. They only wrapped shooting last month. Major visual effects shots aren't completed overnight. As you just said previously. So........?! On another note, some possible interesting clues about other characters from the comic hinted at in the trailer:

[YT]LPcMLKVlAzQ[/YT]

Last edited:
Had I seen this as a trailer on TV w/o knowing it was New Mutants, I would have just figured it to be another craptastic horror movie out of Hollyweird. Knowing it's New Mutants just makes it worse. Unless Marvel has gone really dark with them, they were never that dark of a comic. Even during the Majik 4-issue run, she wasn't that dark. The only time they were was during the Marvel-wide Inferno series

The film's horror tone has roots in one of the main comic story-line they're adapting. And many of the cast did say it would stay close to the source material.

[YT]6QSiZdqYZ6k[/YT]

[YT]JlCOSQBtfEI[/YT]

Last edited:
Also X-Men: Dark Phoenix just wrapped. If X-Men is going to be about Young Mutants fighting foes in a world that fears and hates them...why would New Mutants be about young Mutants fighting foes in a world that fears and hates them? They’d just be making the same movie over again but with different casts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"