Rate the second trailer of Shang-Chi

Reaction score
7 Rings for me. For some reason, I don't feel eXcited about this movie. And this new trailer didn't change that.

7 Rings for me. For some reason, I don't feel eXcited about this movie. And this new trailer didn't change that.
Hate to be a downer but I really don't get a good feeling about this one. I've expressed concern about the Labour Day weekend release (this is a box office dead zone, studios use it as a throw-away slot) and the trailer's views are highly lacking for an MCU film, even an origin for a lesser known character.

This is not to say anything about the actual quality of the film. It could end up being a great film! We'll have to see. I've just noted yours and others' lack of anticipation for it and linking it with the realities of its release.

Hate to be a downer but I really don't get a good feeling about this one. I've expressed concern about the Labour Day weekend release (this is a box office dead zone, studios use it as a throw-away slot) and the trailer's views are highly lacking for an MCU film, even an origin for a lesser known character.

This is not to say anything about the actual quality of the film. It could end up being a great film! We'll have to see. I've just noted yours and others' lack of anticipation for it and linking it with the realities of its release.

If you go by the polls on here for the teaser trailers, Eternals actually fared worse. It remains to be seen how people react to that movie's full trailer, but it could potentially be in worse trouble.

If you go by the polls on here for the teaser trailers, Eternals actually fared worse. It remains to be seen how people react to that movie's full trailer, but it could potentially be in worse trouble.
Yeah I'm not that surprised. The Eternals teaser was much more vague about a property that's fairly vague to begin with, at least as far as Marvel characters go. I personally believe that film will pick up steam as we get into fall, though. Same could easily happen for Shang-Chi as we get into August as well. The traditional rules of thumb are kind of thrown out the window here while we recover from the pandemic. I've said before that the only other explanation I can really come up with for the Labour Day release is that Marvel simply needed to get the film out there and September gives it maximum space between Black Widow and Eternals.. All studios are dealing with backlogs of product and Marvel is no different, even more so with their Disney+ shows going full steam ahead.

I don't want to get too overly excited about seeing Abomination, but I was happy to see him there, and he actually looks like Abomination now and not that garbage 2008 design.

Not sure what we can actually expect from Abomination's appearance, but I hope he has some actual dialogue and characterization, and it's not just a throwaway "big monster to fight" cameo.

great trailer I'm looking forward to this.

The second trailer continues to win me over with "The Mandarin: Evil Villain, Actually a Fairly Decent Father". I really hope the central conflict is essentially "Shang-Chi rebels against Dad, not because Dad is mean to him, but because Dad is evil to *others*."

All action trailers today are pretty much the same. Mysterious voiceover. A couple of action beats. Either a slowed down song or rap song played to enforce the mood. Title card. Humor beat. End.
This was no different.

The second trailer continues to win me over with "The Mandarin: Evil Villain, Actually a Fairly Decent Father". I really hope the central conflict is essentially "Shang-Chi rebels against Dad, not because Dad is mean to him, but because Dad is evil to *others*."

Which is more or less the premise in the comics as well, fwiw.

8.5 much better than the first, the music choice is still baffling. Let's see what trailer 3 will deliver just before the release of the film.

Which is more or less the premise in the comics as well, fwiw.

I actually like them keeping that element while mixing in other influences and seasoning it with the usual MCU accents.

That said... I didn't think this upped my hype more as a trailer outside of it was nice to get some more meat on character relationships etc.

But it was not a grab you and won't let you go trailer from start to finish.

7 for me. I liked the trailer but wanted to hear Simu talk more and wanted them to show us some proof that the fights won't be a bunch of quick cuts.

Do trailers ever do that? I don't think so but I would have liked to have seen that. Otherwise I liked the trailer for giving us more insight about the story and Shang Chi's personal struggle.

A 7.5 out of 10.
Better trailer than before.

A ton of stuff packed into this second trailer, while the first one felt more personal, this one was the splashy one to show all the action, special effects...

A solid 8.

Maybe because I love Marvel and kung fu movies but these trailers get me hyped.

I like the family dynamics too.

I think this my second most anticipated only behind Spider-man 3.

All action trailers today are pretty much the same. Mysterious voiceover. A couple of action beats. Either a slowed down song or rap song played to enforce the mood. Title card. Humor beat. End.
This was no different.

Nailed it. But I'm still excited. I like the idea of Marvel trying their hand at the kung fu genre. The relative dearth of new theatrical releases during the pandemic has me more interested than I otherwise would have been, and the cast looks good.

I think Canadians in particular might be rooting for Simu Liu, especially now that Kim's Convenience has ended (amid much-publicized critical remarks about the show by Liu and others).

It was a good trailer. Just hope they didn't show to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"