BvS Rate the Worst Batman and Superman movie villain portrayals

rogbngp

Snyderverse supporter
Reaction score
Edit: This discussion is framed as a foundation for appreciating the history-making event of bringing Batman and Superman together on screen for the first time, i.e., looking back upon this important aspect (past portrayals of supervillains) of the lore and history of both in film.

I normally don't go negative, but it's all in good fun:

1) Jim Carey as the Riddler (words fail me)
2) Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face (I felt sorry for this great actor)
3) Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze (the absolute worst puns ever--maybe achieves 'so bad it's good' status, though)
4) Danny Devito as the Penguin (Tim Burton's fault not his, but ugh)
5) Terrance Stamp as General Zod (he seemed to show absolutely zero emotion to me--even to the point of literally looking bored; others may are sure to disagree)
6) Jack O'Halloran as Non (okay, really just for the thrown the S scene)
6) Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (just... not good)

I can barely even remember Superman III of IV, so I can't even comment on them.

At the risk of alienating some fans I'm going to give honorable mention to Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor. It's in no way Hackman's fault, but that type of characterization that is played for comedy grates on me now. (I'll give a pass to Michelle Pfeifer for the same complaint.)

Last edited:
Terence Stamp's Zod on a worst list? WTF???? I would rank Stamp's Zod as the greatest movie villain period!

Also Non didn't throw that S that was Superman at Non.

Guess each to their own

Bro seriously branch out and use the search function. You can't keep creating threads nothing to do with BvS in the BvS board.

Oh and what BH said. Terrance Stamp on a worst list. WTF!

Isn't it considered a sin to say that Terrance Stamp as General Zod was awful?

Stamp's Zod was boss. Of course he's bored. Nobody's trying to stop him :sly:

Bro seriously branch out and use the search function. You can't keep creating threads nothing to do with BvS in the BvS board.

Oh and what BH said. Terrance Stamp on a worst list. WTF!

Ouch!

Okay, fair enough on this not being directly related to BvS. But past Batman and Superman films do create a context for the two superheroes on screen together for the first time. It's Batman-and-Superman-on-film related.

I know I am in the minority, but I really thought Stamp's Zod was awful. I watched it again recently after all these years and I was struck by how wooden a performance it was. Standing by that one. I figured others will fiercely disagree.

*Grabs flame ******ant shield and crouches*

Also things seem a bit slow re: BvS...

Last edited:
Rogbngp, I can't believe you feel that way about Zod but to each their own.

Devitos Penguin is amazing. As is Stamps Zod.

Worst portrayals are everyone besides Reeve in IV, everyone in Catwoman, everyone besides Helen Slater in Supergirl, everyone in Steel, and Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl

The villains in Green Lantern were also ****

I think Batman and Robin and Batman Forever actually have a lot of great elements, despite the goofiness of the villains

Arnold could've been an amazing Mr Freeze if he played him like Terminator

Rogbngp, I can't believe you feel that way about Zod but to each their own.

I know, I almost feel bad about it! A great friend of mine in RL who is also a CBM fan is appalled at this as well.

Worst portrayals are everyone besides Reeve in IV, everyone in Catwoman, everyone besides Helen Slater in Supergirl, everyone in Steel, and Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl

I think Batman and Robin and Batman Forever actually have a lot of great elements, despite the goofiness of the villains

What you didn't like Nuclear Man? :huh:

"Destroy Superman" :funny:

3662570-reign330.jpg

I know, I almost feel bad about it! A great friend of mine in RL who is also a CBM fan is appalled at this as well.

No hard feelings buddy, we can't all like the same stuff :woot:

I still think Chris Odonnell was a pretty great Robin

He was the ideal 90s movie Robin

Superman II is a 'boss' movie as well.

Mmm, I just rewatched the film recently after literally decades of only relying on my memory from seeing it in the theater. And while I loved the chemistry between Clark and Lois (the only good thing for me--and its great), the rest of the movie was almost painful to me. I mean stuff like Kryptonians wearing tinfoil suits. An even bigger disappointment to me was Brando's Jor-El.

Terence Stamp's Zod on a worst list? WTF???? I would rank Stamp's Zod as the greatest movie villain period!

Also Non didn't throw that S that was Superman at Non.

Guess each to their own

Right, thanks re: the throwing the S thing--it's not Non's fault. He's still a pretty cheesy villain to me though!

I mean look at this scene, for me it epitomizes the movie:

[YT]XiN0Lwvi7CA[/YT]

and I did watch the Donner cut! (In which that scene is removed.) Didn't help me like it any better. This whole film was imho doomed once Donner left it.

Last edited:
I still think Chris Odonnell was a pretty great Robin

He was the ideal 90s movie Robin

I would have balked at this sometime ago but when I watched Batman Forecer last time I thought the same thing. I actually quite like Batman Forever, if it weren't for the awful brainwaves plot U actually think this movie could have been the best Batman film. For all the crap it gets Schumacher did some good things and Val Kilmer made for a great Batman.

Yes, BUT... if you watch Peter Saarsgard as giving a comic performance it is nothing short of brilliant! See this montage:

[YT]srpEHGZ2cko&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

Mmm, I just rewatched the film recently after literally decades of only relying on my memory from seeing it in the theater. And while I loved the chemistry between Clark and Lois (the only good thing for me--and its great), the rest of the movie was almost painful to me. I mean stuff like Kryptonians wearing tinfoil suits. An even bigger disappointment to me was Brando's Jor-El.
To each their own. I think the movie is in many ways actually better than the original and more faithful to the comics than people would lead you to believe. I have a lot of time for those first two Reeve outings.

To each their own. I think the movie is in many ways actually better than the original and more faithful to the comics than people would lead you to believe. I have a lot of time for those first two Reeve outings.

I prefer STM but totally agree on the faithfulness, the memory kiss is right out of the comics.

The first two Reeve movies are too good

I even like III, just take the Superman, Smallville, evil Superman stuff and that aspect is fantastic. I also think Reeve gives his best performance in III, he's more established and he has a ball when he's evil. More good than there is bad in III for me.

I also like IV but that's because it really makes me laugh :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"