Reading WWIII?

Roughneck

Avenger
Reaction score
So What order do I read these in?

Do I read the 4 issues of WWIII and then 52 Week 50 or do I read 52 first.

52 week 50 says WWIII Begins Here, but reading it first it seems to pass over the WWIII issues and goes to the end. So, I stopped reading it......Can someone help me with that?

Thanks

Week 50 is the whole event.

WWIII expands on the event for people who want to know more about what happened.

So Week 50 then WWIII.

Honestly, you're probably better off NOT reading WWIII. It was pretty bad. Though it's really just an extended version of 52. I read the mini AFTER I read 52-50 and it was fine. Reading it the other way around would probably lessen my enjoyment of 52, but who knows.

Pretty much...however, if you want to be a freak about it, you can follow the days in 52 and read the minis as they correspond. However I find it odd how 52 ends WW3 on day 6 while the minis end it on day 7. Gotta love that DC editorial staff.

Well, I read Week 50 first, and then I was like "****...when I go to read the four WWIII issues, I'm going to already know the ending." But I guess there is no way around it. While Week 50 explains the ending, WWIII doesn't reveal the ending til the end of the 4th issue (obviously).

So I cannot really say that there is an order to read it. Frankly I think they should've just put this into one graphic novel since they sent them all at once. I mean, this happens in a week's time period anyway. What would've been wrong with have Week 50 it's own graphic novel with the sub title being WWIII? Spent a little over 16 dollars anyway so you can't argue that it would've been too expensive. Most graphic novels that are like 5 issues long are $14.99 or so.

Honestly, I think I would read the minis first. I mean, we all know what it's about, we all know the circumstances. Black Adam is fighting the world, and that's what the minis show (the minis are also a really awesome J'onn story). What #50 shows is the set up PLUS the rather awesome ending. Which I think works better with a little build up.

The general advice is to read week 50 first. It covers all the important parts and, imo, much more coherently than the tie-ins.

The general advice is to read week 50 first. It covers all the important parts and, imo, much more coherently than the tie-ins.
Which is exactly why I think it should be read last.

The minis would basically raise all of these questions that #50 would answer. And, personally, I'd say the ending of #50 would have a lot more impact after seeing Adam punch people's stomachs out in the minis.

World War III ends up being more about Martian Manhunter, to me, than about the actual war. Sort of like a final sendoff to the real J'onn, the one he never got before he was dispatched into "brooding Marvel character" territory.

Looks like there's a lot of **** being talked on the World War III book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. MM's been a bit of a favorite of mine for a long time, and it was good to see him treated with the respect and dignity that he deserves,
even if it did end with him in that ridiculous costume.

I agree that World War III should be read before #50. #50 has a better ending for the war, while World War III's ending is essentially,
"And then J'onn flew off into the sunset, confident with his new outlook and costume. Too bad we all know A.J. Lieberman's going to take a **** on you in that ****ty Brave New World mini."

While I thought it was very cool to see it from J'onn's perspective, I thought we would see perspectives from each of the characters with major OYL changes: Aquaman, Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, Beast Boy from TT (cause he joined the Doom Patrol after the WWIII mess in OYL because he couldn't handle leading the TT without the others). I really do feel that if the book wasn't written by mainly J'onn's perspective, it would've been a whole lot better (even though it was already good).

Only problem I have with WWIII is the huge **** up with Aquaman OYL's continuity.

While I thought it was very cool to see it from J'onn's perspective, I thought we would see perspectives from each of the characters with major OYL changes: Aquaman, Jason Todd, Cassandra Cain, Beast Boy from TT (cause he joined the Doom Patrol after the WWIII mess in OYL because he couldn't handle leading the TT without the others). I really do feel that if the book wasn't written by mainly J'onn's perspective, it would've been a whole lot better (even though it was already good).

Only problem I have with WWIII is the huge **** up with Aquaman OYL's continuity.
It would have been interesting to see things from all of those perspectives, but in a way, WWIII was the Martian Manhunter book I THOUGHT I was getting from Brave New World. So I'm happy with it as it is.

I thought the major OYL changes to Aquaman, Jason Todd, Batgirl, and Beast Boy were handled very well, although Batgirl's changeover seemed a bit hasty. Had Deathstroke been working her for awhile? Is that what's implied?

What's the Aquaman ****up?

So let me see if I understand the posts I skimmed.
You need to read week 50 1st. Then you read WWIII 1-4?
Because I thought it started off in the middle of something.

You don't need to read either first. Whatever you choose is fine, they both cover the events of the week, including the resolution. Well, WWIII doesn't show what happens to Adam after the end of the war--you'll have to read 52 for that.

52 is better, so...if you want to read the better version of the event first, read 52 first. If you want to save it for last...figure it out.

What's the Aquaman ****up?

In WWIII we all saw Aquaman make that sacrifice, because the people of Sub Diego could no longer breathe underwater (limited timing I guess) so the entire city was dying. While it was cool and a nice touch to WWIII, this conflicts with Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis (OYL stuff).

In A:SoA, Sub Diego is still underwater and the people still breathe underwater and have even growned a political system and such; the whole shabang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"