Iron Man Sequels Recast Tony Stark

Jason schwartzman is an intriguing possibility...

honestly the way Downey made that role his own anybody else would just be doing an impression of him.

People only think like that because there literally haven't been any other actors play tony on the big screen.

When it happens people will still love RDJ but they'll also be willing to give the next guy a go and the people who thought only RDJ can do it will be suprised

I feel it's honestky gotten to Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford levels. All media pretty much use his visage and persona in their interpretations. It's possible but it'll be weird at first.

As much as RDJ has defined the role, Iron Man as a character predates RDJ playing him by over 40 years. The character is bigger than any one actor, and that is true with every comic book character. I think they just need to find someone who is talented enough to make the character his own and not just do his best RDJ impression.

His name has been thrown around a bit for Dr. Strange, but I'd actually rather see Jake Gyllenhaal take over the role when RDJ steps down. He looks the part and fits the above criteria.

Jake would be interesting but he might be a bit old now maybe

Heh, I was thinking that he was still a tad bit too young. :oldrazz: Though I figure that wont be a problem in another five years or so. Which will probably be about the time RDJ decides to move on.

But Iron Man is one of those characters where they should go for a more mature actor and not skew too young, IMO.

honestly the way Downey made that role his own anybody else would just be doing an impression of him.

I agree that Downey made the role of Ironman his own. However I don't think that anybody else that stepped in to the role would just an impression of him. It would be a matter of the new actor taking the role and making the role his.

Think of it this way. When you read comic books you get new writers and those writers will put there own spin on said character. So the concept is the same here. It's more of a matter of finding some one who can do it right. Maybe they won't be as good as Downey or maybe they will be better but doesn't mean they shouldn't try to make another Ironman movie with out Downey.

How do you recast a human being? Someone should change this to Tony Stark.

Jack Huston is my pick.

jackhuston.jpg

I feel it's honestky gotten to Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford levels. All media pretty much use his visage and persona in their interpretations. It's possible but it'll be weird at first.

Agreed.

John Cho as IM? Serious no from me.

This is going to be impossible to recast

I'm torn between Zac Efron and DJ Cotrona.

Matt Bomer or Colin Farrell seem like good fits.

Last edited:
I don't think Marvel will EVER recast Tony Stark. Like, they just cast another actor and everyone will pretend that's the same Tony Stark? Seems stretching for me.

OTOH I'm all for cast another actor for Another IM-Character though. Like Stark can die or retire and the suit goes to someone else. But my favorite option is just drop the IM suit if RDJ no longer plays Stark and focus on the new blood.

They'll do what Marvel has been doing for decades and is in love with doing now. Having someone else take up the mantle and call them the new whoever.

What I hope is in Phase 4 we have Iron Man 4 with RDJ as Tony Stark facing the real Mandarin. This would complete RDJ's appearance in the MCU, and end the individual Iron Man films. From this point on Iron Man could reappear in the MCU in Ensemble films like for example a Secret Wars movie where pretty much every hero imaginable appears. Because the focus is not on Iron Man per say, they can focus on Iron Man outside the suit using practical effects and CGI, but not show Tony inside the suit. Just have either RDJ do the voice acting or get someone else that sounds kind of like him to do it. I feel RDJ needs to be seen on screen if he is the star of the movie, but with a big enough cast and enough characters Iron Mans appearance is all that is needed.

Surfer

I reckon iddo goldberg would make a great tony

But if they wanted to go for someone less traditional they should get Marwan kenzari who’s playing jafar in the Aladdin remake and he might just end up stealing the show

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"