Recycled Music

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
What the hell happened here? Danny Elfman only composed two or three new scores. Everything else was recycled! Kind of disappointing. Considering the amazing job he did in Batman Returns.

Yeah I was like WTF?!?! The scene for burning building was exactly the one from spiderman 1 burning building. Elfman is an idiot.

I liked the reuse of the music because it made it more familiar, like we were revisiting old friends or something. Personally Elfman would not have been my pick for the first one, but since he was picked...

Its like a soap-opera. They don't change the theme-music every day. You hear that music and you say, "Oh goody, my show's on now.... what happens next?!"

(Well ideally you do... soap-operas now are extremely boring IMO. I'll use Dark Shadows as an example. You hear that goofy music and then the fun begins!)

That's really what these comics are: soap-operas for guys, with fistfights included :gg:

there's something about constant changing music in sequels that takes away the consistency in a movie. in x2, it was almost like not watching the sequel to x men cause the music was different...that's mainly in terms of the theme music changing, that i think should remain the same mostly, with little changes in it.

his pee wee's big adventure score was the effin bomb,

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
Elfman is an idiot.

I'm gonna throw a rock at you for saying that.

Originally posted by MST3KPIMP
his pee wee's big adventure score was the effin bomb

He could have used the Pee-Wee Herman theme during the elevator scene. :p

Originally posted by MCRapier9
there's something about constant changing music in sequels that takes away the consistency in a movie. in x2, it was almost like not watching the sequel to x men cause the music was different...that's mainly in terms of the theme music changing, that i think should remain the same mostly, with little changes in it.
Great example..

I really missed Kamen's score from the first X-Men, IMO...They felt like completely different movies..

-TNC

The Spider-Man theme is practically the same, except for a section in the middle that throws me off everytime I watch it, as well as in the opening, which is exactly the same except in red, and they add this weird sound when the first web strand appears across the screen, maybe it was an oboe? Everytime I watch it, I feel like I've stumbled into an alternate universe, and I'm watching the Bizarro-"Spiderman".

And I loved the Ock theme, pure brass horns I think (I'm probably wrong), very simplistic, almost like a Jaws style theme.

The opening credits for Spider-Man 2 are the same as the first one? Were you not awake for the credits? I don't remember the painted spoilers, but maybe that's just me.

The first, oh, twenty seconds is similar, but not the same. They might have just reused the first shot to make you think of the first movie, until they blatanly reminded you of it.

Originally posted by Oniwago 18
The opening credits for Spider-Man 2 are the same as the first one? Were you not awake for the credits? I don't remember the painted spoilers, but maybe that's just me.

The first, oh, twenty seconds is similar, but not the same. They might have just reused the first shot to make you think of the first movie, until they blatanly reminded you of it.

Uh, when I said the opening, I was referring to those twenty seconds. Really, what else would I be referring to?
Don't be so thinskinned, I'm not trying to subvert the greatness of Spidey, indeed I enjoyed what they did, because it makes Spidey 2 even more of a companion piece.

Eh, I consider the entire sequence the opening.

The opening of Spider-Man was all the credits up until the web dissolve.

Easy to get confused, so I apologize.

Originally posted by Oniwago 18
Eh, I consider the entire sequence the opening.

The opening of Spider-Man was all the credits up until the web dissolve.

Easy to get confused, so I apologize.

Don't worry about it.;)

Wait for the score cd...you'll hear that most of the music Elfman composed for the film was taken out by Raimi and/or producers.

I still haven't seen the movie (1.45 tomorrow :p) but one of the clip on ifilm confirms that this recycling approach is not a choice by Danny Elfman (he wouldn't have score the movie in those conditions) : it's the scene with aunt may and the "hero" monologue. In that clip, the music used from the first movie is "Getting Through" , which is in fact the love theme for PP and MJ. It just doesn't make any sense...:confused:

I really hope they didnt pay Danny for just playing his music over again. I only heard a few new scores and 2 songs "raindrop" and the other one.

The music may have sounded the same in the theatres but i'm sure there are small differences between the 2 movie scores. If not, i'll be very very angry :mad:

Yeah, I was really disappointed with the score. It seemed as though Danny Elfman got really lazy with it. It repeated the same portion from the Main Theme in several scenes. I'm sure I'll wind up buying the CD anyway.

Wasn't it not his fault though ? Didn't they re-edit a bunch of scenes and threw out his score ? :confused:

Originally posted by Magneto29
Wasn't it not his fault though ? Didn't they re-edit a bunch of scenes and threw out his score ? :confused:

Well, that's what I keep repeating but apparently it's hard to be understood. I already see comments in 20 days, when the score will be released : "hey, there are huge parts that are not in the film !! Why ??"...:rolleyes:

Recycled music is what makes some movies great. Who doesnt know the music from Star wars. Would anyone ever consider changing the opening music. How about the superman music? Indiana Jones. Jaws. That music stands alone and when we hear it at a sporting event or something the movie clicks in our head. These movies and many more kept several music and themes and reused them.

Originally posted by Mnemosyne
I liked the reuse of the music because it made it more familiar, like we were revisiting old friends or something. Personally Elfman would not have been my pick for the first one, but since he was picked...

Its like a soap-opera. They don't change the theme-music every day. You hear that music and you say, "Oh goody, my show's on now.... what happens next?!"

(Well ideally you do... soap-operas now are extremely boring IMO. I'll use Dark Shadows as an example. You hear that goofy music and then the fun begins!)

That's really what these comics are: soap-operas for guys, with fistfights included :gg:

Or just think: Original Star Wars Trilogy. much revisited and reused work. It's like you said. there are certain themes and those are used to portay the characters. You feel like you're returning home. bah. Elfman did a great job.

For that matter the Superman films re-used the same music. The Indiana Jones films as well. It's the nature of a franchise. And I liked how it was used personally. I think Elfman's music complimented the movie nicely.

Okay, I've seen the movie.
SHAME on M.Raimi and the produceurs. Now I see what happened : they temp tracked the movie with the first movie's score and with other scores like Young's Hellraiser II. Then of course, they ask Elfman to compose the original music. But the love Raimi had for the temp track was too strong and they ended up taking Elfman's original music off and using the temp track instead. They even asked Young to rescore the cue from Hellraiser II !
Hopefully, the music Elfman composed will be on the score cd, released July 20th.

If I was Danny Elfman, I would certainly not accept to score the third one - those filmmakers just don't deserve his talent...

When the hell has it been said that they booted Elfman's score? Stop making assumptions for stuff you weren't there for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"