The Official Batman Returns Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not almost a complete reboot just because there's a new Batman and a new tone and visuals.

Batman 1989 and Batman Returns look and feel very different. Gotham City is different. Wayne Manor is different. The Batcave is different. Batman's got a new suit. Returns is way darker in tone. But it's still a sequel to Batman 1989. It's just that Batman 1989 didn't leave any lingering plots to be dealt with other than Bruce being with Vicki which was covered in his conversation with Selina.

Batman was framed for murder and it was never rectified in Returns. That's a major plot point. It shouldn't have been ignored.
They can slip in a reference about Batman liking strong women in skin tight vinyl and a whip but they can't mention how he got cleared of murder?

In that case, it's a problem within Returns. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but we see the Batsignal turn on at the end of BR. Why would Gordon and the cops turn on the batsignal if Batman is wanted for murder (and reckless driving)?

And that reminds me of the same scene when we see Catwoman. So did she survive that ending with Shreck!? I've honestly always just seen that scene as Burton just screwing with us, inserting whatever he wanted to in the movie. And for the sake of it, the camera is panning up buildings and Catwoman just appears out of nowhere... is she floating in the air!? I believe someone from the movie even questioned this, saying it made no sense.

I think Gordon knew that Batman didn't push the Ice Princess. When you think of it, how can anyone prove it? Sure it looked like it but no one witnessed Batman actually pushing her. Awhile ago someone mentioned that in the script it says something like the Mayor asks Gordon if "he" will forgive them.

I think Gordon knew that Batman didn't push the Ice Princess. When you think of it, how can anyone prove it? Sure it looked like it but no one witnessed Batman actually pushing her. Awhile ago someone mentioned that in the script it says something like the Mayor asks Gordon if "he" will forgive them.

Everyone in Gotham Square thought they saw him push her. Then five minutes later he's seen getting into his Batmobile which then goes on a wreckless joy ride through Gotham mowing down citizens and Police cars.

Batman's name was mud.

In that case, it's a problem within Returns. I'm sure it's been mentioned before but we see the Batsignal turn on at the end of BR. Why would Gordon and the cops turn on the batsignal if Batman is wanted for murder (and reckless driving)?

That was a goof.

And that reminds me of the same scene when we see Catwoman. So did she survive that ending with Shreck!? I've honestly always just seen that scene as Burton just screwing with us, inserting whatever he wanted to in the movie. And for the sake of it, the camera is panning up buildings and Catwoman just appears out of nowhere... is she floating in the air!? I believe someone from the movie even questioned this, saying it made no sense.

But wasn't that scene shoe horned in at the last minute by WB to show Catwoman is alive?

Wasn't Burton toying with the idea to do a Catwoman spin off?

I have heard about Burton possibly doing a Catwoman spin off during that time. I'm glad it didn't happen though. I think she works best as a supporting character in Batman than on her own. I did not know WB wanted that scene though.

Nice theory but it is just baseless speculation. I didn't see the other Red Triangle members who got caught in the first and second attack on Gotham selling out Penguin for a lighter sentence. So why should they save Batman's bacon?

The police didn't know that The Penguin existed after the first attack, and thought Oswald Cobblepot was Gotham's new hero after the second attack so they had no reason to do a deal with The Triangle Gang. By the time they were caught for attempting to kidnap and kill children they were looking at an attempted murder rap so the stakes were much higher, plus Gordon presumably knew Batman was innocent and may have decided to get the truth out of the gang in exchange for lower sentences. Sure it's speculation but it makes perfect sense to me.

Anyway, why would the public think Batman killed The Ice Princess to begin with? Once the truth came out I'm sure they'd find it easier to believe Batman was framed and that this was a part of the now exposed Penguin's master plan to defraud Gotham City.

Another thing, many of the goons during the initial attack on Gotham may just have been hired thugs and not close members of The Penguin's 'inner circle'. After all, we only ever see a small group, including The Organ Grinder and The Poodle Lady, with The Penguin. The few that were caught after the first attack on the tree-lighting ceremony (and it was probably only a few, including the clown who seized Selina Kyle and was eventually knocked out by Batman) might not even have met or known about The Penguin.

As Joker already said, not only Batman was on the rooftop seen by an entire crowd, in the very spot where the Princess just fell from, not only did the bats attack the crowd but also cops and the crowd actually saw Batman getting into the Batmobile and then going on this killing spree. To believe that after seeing all this crowd would assume that Batmobile was remotely controled by someone else is silly and way too much of a stretch to believe they would deduce/suspect and believe that scenario. Entire crowds saw Batman put in such situations that theres no doubt in their mind that he got mad, getting into Batmobile (like in TDK cops seeing him getting on the Batpod). And again, as Joker already said too, the last scene was added in the very last minute and was just a visual ending more than anything, so I wouldnt focus on the Bat signal thing at the end as much

And some seem to have misunderstood my point. Im not saying Forever has to answer what happened (although it wouldve been nice since, again, its like TDKR ignoring the same situation from TDK), but Im saying that its wasting a very interesting story, which now will be told in TDKR, which is dealing with Batman who is seen by Gotham as a murderer and lunatic who went mad, with only Gordon knowing (or in the case of Returns suspecting) otherwise

The police didn't know that The Penguin existed after the first attack

And what was preventing the Circus gang from telling the Cops about him and where they can find him?

and thought Oswald Cobblepot was Gotham's new hero after the second attack

That still wouldn't stop them from proving they work for him. And they could prove it.

By the time they were caught for attempting to kidnap and kill children they were looking at an attempted murder rap so the stakes were much higher

There was enough counts of criminal assault and damage against them to get them a hundred years in jail before this. Not to mention they did kill many of Gotham's citizens in their attacks. They blew up several shops with people inside. LOL the poodle even went into a cafe with a grenade in it's mouth. You even saw one citizen on fire in the first attack.

plus Gordon presumably knew Batman was innocent and may have decided to get the truth out of the gang in exchange for lower sentences. Sure it's speculation but it makes perfect sense to me.

Two things:

1. As I've already established these guys were already facing murder charges. Criminal damages. Multiple assaults. Attempted murder. Not even Gordon could get them off easy on that list of charges in exchange for helping a masked vigilante.

2. What even makes you think the Red Triangle gang would sell Penguin out?

Anyway, why would the public think Batman killed The Ice Princess to begin with?

All they know about Batman is that he's a masked vigilante who likes to beat up and murder criminals. He's a man who dresses up as a bat. He's not going to be viewed as some kind of sane or stable person.

Plus they all saw him do it, or they thought they saw him do it. Then they get attacked by a swarm of bats. Then 5 minutes later an angry crowd of cops and citizens see him getting into his Batmobile and then he goes on a joyride mowing down citizens and plowing through cop cars and civilian cars.

Once the truth came out I'm sure they'd find it easier to believe Batman was framed and that this was a part of the now exposed Penguin's master plan to defraud Gotham City.

Without proof of any of that it's only hearsay.

Another thing, many of the goons during the initial attack on Gotham may just have been hired thugs and not close members of The Penguin's 'inner circle'.

Again baseless speculation on your part. I can't debate with something that is just totally unfounded.

After all, we only ever see a small group, including The Organ Grinder and The Poodle Lady, with The Penguin.

That doesn't mean diddly squat. We predominately only ever saw Bob and two or three others around Joker most of the time in Batman 1989. But when it came to the action scenes he had lots of men at his disposal.

They were not going to over crowd Penguin's cool hideouts with crowds of clown thugs. Only a select few were needed to show they're his gang.

he few that were caught after the first attack on the tree-lighting ceremony (and it was probably only a few, including the clown who seized Selina Kyle and was eventually knocked out by Batman) might not even have met or known about The Penguin.

More baseless speculation. I can only go by what the movie showed us and told us. What we're told is that these guys are the Red Triangle gang. They have an ugly history of being involved in child disappearances. The Penguin controls them. He uses them when ever he needs them. There's no reason to believe why they never met the Penguin.

Batman took down several of the gang in that first attack including stilt walkers, bikers, clowns and that guy who tried to taze Selina.

Last edited:
And what was preventing the Circus gang from telling the Cops about him and where they can find him?
But why would they at this stage? The cops didn't know about The Penguin so there's no reason to offer any kind of deal. Plus, at this point all they were looking at was criminal damage and assault. If they had given away The Penguin's whereabouts they would have led the police to further indictable criminal activity including conspiracy, and plans to murder Gotham's first-born children. It wouldn't have been in their interest to give anything away at this stage.

There was enough counts of criminal assault and damage against them to get them a hundred years in jail before this. Not to mention they did kill many of Gotham's citizens in their attacks. They blew up several shops with people inside. LOL the poodle even went into a cafe with a grenade in it's mouth. You even saw one citizen on fire in the first attack.
We don't see them kill anybody. It was apparently very late at night (Shreck's Department Store was already closed), so why would any of the other shops be open? It's more likely that they were empty and the gang were responsible for criminal damage rather than murder. We do see them beat up on a shop-keeper but nothing that would cause the poor man to die. Apart from that I'm not sure how you have come to the conclusion that they killed anyone during this attack.

Two things:

1. As I've already established these guys were already facing murder charges. Criminal damages. Multiple assaults. Attempted murder. Not even Gordon could get them off easy on that list of charges in exchange for helping a masked vigilante.

2. What even makes you think the Red Triangle gang would sell Penguin out?

Firstly, I'm still not sure where you have got these multiple murder charges from. We don't see the Circus Gang kill anyone. Plus, even if some of the apprehended gang were guilty of murder that doesn't mean all of them were looking at murder charges. Sure, all of them were looking at large sentences, but primarily as accessories to The Penguin's crimes.

Criminals cut deals all the time. Even criminals facing murder charges especially if they commit their crimes within a state that still carries the death sentence. If Gordon was so adamant that Batman was guilty, and bearing in mind he was Gotham's senior police officer, he would surely be able to find an angle that would clear Batman, especially if he had a sympathetic DA on his side (i.e. Harvey Dent - yes, I know we don't see him in Returns, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist).

As for why I believe The Red Circus Triangle Gang would sell The Penguin out. Simple. We see the remianing members of the gang quite happily abandon The Penguin when it's finally clear Batman is going to foil his plans. They evidently weren't as loyal as you seem to be suggesting, and if it was the choice between a particularly long sentence and ratting out their boss, who is in anycase in all probability dead by the time the police interrogate them, it's not much of a choice. Why would they be loyal to a dead man (especially one they were so willing to abandon when things went pear-shaped)?

All they know about Batman is that he's a masked vigilante who likes to beat up and murder criminals. He's a man who dresses up as a bat. He's not going to be viewed as some kind of sane or stable person.
Gotham has happily accepted Batman as their saviour for what is probably a good few years after the events of the first movie. Like you say, he beats up and yes, occasionally kills criminals. That doesn't suggest that he goes around kidnapping and then pushing innocent beauty queens off tall buildings. Would you believe it if say, Dirty Harry went around murdering innocent people? He has beaten up and killed at least as many criminals as Batman.

Plus they all saw him do it, or they thought they saw him do it. Then they get attacked by a swarm of bats. Then 5 minutes later an angry crowd of cops and citizens see him getting into his Batmobile and then he goes on a joyride mowing down citizens and plowing through cop cars and civilian cars.
The Gotham public were a fickle crowd, and at the time of the Ice Princess' death all the apparent evidence did indicate that Batman had pushed her off the roof. However, once the realisation that The Penguin was a crook came to light (i.e. they all heard him say he'd 'played Gotham like a harp from hell' - what do you suppose that must have meant?), it wouldn't be too difficult to put two and two together and establish that he was guilty for the previous night's events. Not Batman.

After all, what have they really got to go on? Some loud mouth claims he saw Batman push the Ice Princess off the roof, and the fact that bats came out of the tree must automatically mean Batman is responsible...

That doesn't mean diddly squat. We predominately only ever saw Bob and two or three others around Joker most of the time in Batman 1989. But when it came to the action scenes he had lots of men at his disposal.
NO, The Joker's gang was generally much smaller. The same actors appeared beside him in most of the action scenes. Only Bob and Lawrence, the big, bald guy had any extra screentime with him, probably because Bob was his de facto Lieutenant and Lawrence was a particularly loyal and handy member to have around at all times.

More baseless speculation. I can only go by what the movie showed us and told us. What we're told is that these guys are the Red Triangle gang. They have an ugly history of being involved in child disappearances. The Penguin controls them. He uses them when ever he needs them. There's no reason to believe why they never met the Penguin.
Now you're just arguing for the sake of it because I can easily turn your argument around and say that since the movie doesn't show us certain members hanging around The Penguin there is no reason to believe they are close members of his gang.

Batman took down several of the gang in that first attack including stilt walkers, bikers, clowns and that guy who tried to taze Selina.
Sure, but we don't see any of them get arrested. The guy who tried to taze Selina was almost certainly arrested since he was knocked out and down for the count, but we don't see anyone else knocked out. For all we know the majority of them could have got away. The Organ Grinder, Sword-Swallower and Indian Head-dress woman, all of whom were present at the first tree-lighting riot, certainly got away because we see them in later scenes.

Another thing, just because we see the Bat-signal lit up at the end of the film doesn't even mean that Batman has been cleared at this stage. For all we know, Gordon could be trying to contact Batman for questioning. Since Gordon clearly trusts Batman, he probably thinks Batman will voluntarily come in himself to try and clear his name.

In any case, I don't think we can take any thing for granted with this film. A lot of the plot is purposefully ambiguous.

I dont know why the realization that Penguin is a villain would in any way lead people that with some miracle Batman is innocent, when people saw him flying above them after the bat attacks and getting into Batmobile that started driving over people.For all I know Gotham will now be even more wary of their heores after Penguin appeared to be a criminal and Batman attacked the citizens

Gotham has happily accepted Batman as their saviour for what is probably a good few years after the events of the first movie.

Not really, not according to Burton. Burton said in Returns' commentary that people in Returns are actually scared of Batman and avoid him

Luckily in Forever they all love Batman and happily scream his name when he drops in from the roof.

I dont know why the realization that Penguin is a villain would in any way lead people that with some miracle Batman is innocent, when people saw him flying above them after the bat attacks and getting into Batmobile that started driving over people.For all I know Gotham will now be even more wary of their heores after Penguin appeared to be a criminal and Batman attacked the citizens
The public heard The Penguin say 'I've played this city like a stinking hard from hell' etc, before turning on him. What did they think he meant when he said that? Obviously they got the impression he'd been up to no good, otherwise it's just a load of meaningless words.

I find it hard to believe that Gotham would still consider Batman to be a killer of innocent people, particularly on the basis of such flimsy evidence, when he later saved their children from being drowned from The Penguin, not to mention stopped The Penguin from blowing up the entire city.

Sure they saw him drive away from the scene of a crime. But when a mob of angry citizens start turning on you for an apparent crime you didn't commit, you and I would probably do the same thing.

Any half-decent criminal investigation would have cleared Batman of the crimes that were pinned against him, especially once it was clear that The Penguin had the means to plant the tree with bats. Also, are you sure that someone wouldn't have discovered the mini-Batmobile linked to the real thing once The Penguin had been exposed as a criminal? An investigation into The Penguin's hideout and 'campaign van' once The Penguin had been outed as a villain would prove to be a veritable treasure-trove of evidence, all of which would easily have led to Batman's exoneration. It may have taken a while, but honestly I don't see how there could have been any doubt about Batman's innocence once the various possible pieces of evidence stacked up against The Penguin and his henchmen and women. Like Gordon said, all the police had against Batman was essentially 'circumstantial evidence'.

Not really, not according to Burton. Burton said in Returns' commentary that people in Returns are actually scared of Batman and avoid him
This I do agree with, but it doesn't really contradict the main thrust of my argument with respect to the evidence, nor does it really give any credit to the conceit of Batman killing an entirely innocent woman when he had thus far only tackled or killed criminals.

But why would they at this stage? The cops didn't know about The Penguin so there's no reason to offer any kind of deal.

Yes, there is if the Cops want to find out where the rest of the gang is and who they are working for. Someone put them up to it.

Plus, at this point all they were looking at was criminal damage and assault.

No, they were also up on murder charges.

If they had given away The Penguin's whereabouts they would have led the police to further indictable criminal activity including conspiracy, and plans to murder Gotham's first-born children.

No, they wouldn't since Penguin had not even put that plan down on paper yet. He had not gotten access to the Hall of Records after the first attack.

We don't see them kill anybody. It was apparently very late at night (Shreck's Department Store was already closed), so why would any of the other shops be open? It's more likely that they were empty and the gang were responsible for criminal damage rather than murder. We do see them beat up on a shop-keeper but nothing that would cause the poor man to die. Apart from that I'm not sure how you have come to the conclusion that they killed anyone during this attack.

Oh man, come on. You just said yourself you saw a shop keeper being attacked. What was a shop keeper doing in there if the store was closed? How did the poodle just walk into the cafe with the grenade unless it was open?

There was people present in all of these buildings that they blew up. Just because Schreck's was closed doesn't mean every where was. There's no universal hour for a close of business. Plus even if they had blown up Schreck's they would have killed the two security guards whom Catwoman had frightened off.

Make no mistake, they killed people. Many people.

Firstly, I'm still not sure where you have got these multiple murder charges from. We don't see the Circus Gang kill anyone.

Covered this above.

Plus, even if some of the apprehended gang were guilty of murder that doesn't mean all of them were looking at murder charges.

They would all be charged with murder because the it was a mass gang attack. The Cops can't be sure which specific ones blew up one store. They just know the circus gang was involved. They'd all be charged as one criminal conspiracy.

Criminals cut deals all the time. Even criminals facing murder charges especially if they commit their crimes within a state that still carries the death sentence.

And how do you know Gotham carries a death sentence for murder? In fact all evidence suggests it doesn't since none of them ratted Penguin out.

If Gordon was so adamant that Batman was guilty, and bearing in mind he was Gotham's senior police officer, he would surely be able to find an angle that would clear Batman, especially if he had a sympathetic DA on his side (i.e. Harvey Dent - yes, I know we don't see him in Returns, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist).

Whether Gordon believed Batman was guilty or not was irrelevant. Without a shred of proof to clear him he's got nothing.

What he has got is evidence against Batman like the batarang and the eye witness accounts.

And you think Gordon is going to make some sort of case to prove Batman is innocent by getting the circus gang to squeal on Penguin just to clear a vigilante whom he already allows to go around killing criminals anyway?

As for why I believe The Red Circus Triangle Gang would sell The Penguin out. Simple. We see the remianing members of the gang quite happily abandon The Penguin when it's finally clear Batman is going to foil his plans.

That was a simple case of they don't have a hope in hell of beating Batman so lets get the hell out of here before he arrives. They already saw he was coming in something very large and fast.

What were they going to do? He's whupped their butts twice already. Did you think the skeleton crew of clowns Pengy had left were going to be able to take him on? Even Penguin was bricking it.

Gotham has happily accepted Batman as their saviour for what is probably a good few years after the events of the first movie. Like you say, he beats up and yes, occasionally kills criminals. That doesn't suggest that he goes around kidnapping and then pushing innocent beauty queens off tall buildings.

Oh yes it does. If a man who's chosen to hide his identity and willingly kill criminals pushed a beauty queen off a roof, why would that be so hard to believe?

It's a murdering vigilante dressed up as a bat whom Gotham don't know diddly squat about personally. Anything is possible with an individual like that.

Would you believe it if say, Dirty Harry went around murdering innocent people? He has beaten up and killed at least as many criminals as Batman.

Dirty Harry is a well known figure with an identity and a past and probably a psychological profile done on him, too. He's not a mysterious figure people have clue who he is and he doesn't operate outside the law.

The Gotham public were a fickle crowd, and at the time of the Ice Princess' death all the apparent evidence did indicate that Batman had pushed her off the roof. However, once the realisation that The Penguin was a crook came to light (i.e. they all heard him say he'd 'played Gotham like a harp from hell' - what do you suppose that must have meant?), it wouldn't be too difficult to put two and two together and establish that he was guilty for the previous night's events. Not Batman.

And why on earth should they come to that conclusion? Penguin wasn't seen anywhere near the scenes of these events. Neither was the Red Triangle gang come to that. Nobody was except Batman.

Only Batman was found on the roof by the Cops where the Ice Princess fell. Only Batman was seen getting into the Batmobile before it went on it's reckless joyride.

How could anyone connect any of this to Penguin or his circus gang? Even Catwoman couldn't be implicated in the Ice Princess kidnapping. Only Batman saw her.

After all, what have they really got to go on? Some loud mouth claims he saw Batman push the Ice Princess off the roof, and the fact that bats came out of the tree must automatically mean Batman is responsible...

It wasn't just one loud mouth, they were all looking up when it happened, just one citizen shouted out what Batman did.

And yes, the bats certainly implicate him as using them as a diversion while he escaped.

NO, The Joker's gang was generally much smaller. The same actors appeared beside him in most of the action scenes. Only Bob and Lawrence, the big, bald guy had any extra screentime with him, probably because Bob was his de facto Lieutenant and Lawrence was a particularly loyal and handy member to have around at all times.

Really? So lets take into account all the goons Joker had with him at the parade including the ones Batman gunned down, then the ones he conveniently had up in the church tower, then the ones he had come collect him in the helicopter.

You're trying to tell me his gang was small just because he kept a small handful around him?

Now you're just arguing for the sake of it because I can easily turn your argument around and say that since the movie doesn't show us certain members hanging around The Penguin there is no reason to believe they are close members of his gang.

You couldn't argue any such thing because you've got no basis for that argument. I, on the other hand, have the facts I quoted you above from the movie to support mine.

Unless you think Gotham's generic thugs are experts at juggling, walking on stilts, riding unicycles and blowing fire etc. because I didn't see them hanging around in Penguin's lair.

Sure, but we don't see any of them get arrested.

Did you really need to see the Police slapping the cuffs on them to know they got arrested? What did you think they did with all those beaten clowns, gave them a good talking to and sent them on their way? :cwink:

The guy who tried to taze Selina was almost certainly arrested since he was knocked out and down for the count, but we don't see anyone else knocked out. For all we know the majority of them could have got away. The Organ Grinder, Sword-Swallower and Indian Head-dress woman, all of whom were present at the first tree-lighting riot, certainly got away because we see them in later scenes.

They got away because none of them had a run in with Batman. Keep in mind all this happens in less than five minutes. Batman comes in, takes out stilt walkers, bikers, gun clowns. This all happens in under two minutes. Then he toasts the fire clown and rescues Selina. Right after Selina is saved you hear the Cop sirens and Gordon and his men are on the scene.

You're not trying to tell me all those guys Batman beat all managed to get up and clear out in that short time, are you?

There's a reason we never see the stilt walkers and bikers again in the second attack.

Another thing, just because we see the Bat-signal lit up at the end of the film doesn't even mean that Batman has been cleared at this stage. For all we know, Gordon could be trying to contact Batman for questioning. Since Gordon clearly trusts Batman, he probably thinks Batman will voluntarily come in himself to try and clear his name.

How dumb would Batman be to go to Police HQ voluntarily when he's wanted for murder? If that's what Gordon was doing, then he's an idiot. Batman was never going to come when he was a wanted man by them.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned my point is as simple as the following questions and their obvious answers should suggest:

Did Batman stop the Red Triangle Circus Gang from kidnapping Gotham's first-born sons?

If the answer is yes, move onto to the next question...

Is it likely that some, if not all, of The Red Triangle Circus Gang members stopped by Batman were apprehended by the police?

If the answer is yes, move onto the next question...

Is it likely that the police would have questioned the various members of The Red Triangle Circus Gang regarding The Penguin's various activities (especially since the link between them and The Penguin was now incontrovertible seeing as The Penguin had publically announced his plans to capture and kill the first-born sons at Max Shreck's party)?

If the answer is yes, move onto the next question...

Is It highly possible that Commissioner Gordon, Gotham's highest ranking plice officer and a man who clearly had doubts about Batman's part in The Ice Princess' kidnap and murder (having stated that the batarang was merely 'circumstantial evidence', and having stopped his men from firing at Batman when they were on the roof), would have sought confessions from The Red Triangle Circus Gang exonerating Batman of his alleged crimes?

Furthermore, is it also not highly possible that Commissioner Gordon would question Batman's alleged part in an innocent woman's death bearing in mind this was the first time Batman had ever been linked with such a random crime?

Would Batman's other recent actions, including saving Gotham's first-born sons from drowning and stopping The Penguin from blasting all of Gotham to hell not seem to conflict with his alleged murder of The Ice Princess, and wouldn't the police therefore have a duty to investigate further before pinning the crime on Batman on the basis of circumstantial evidence (and Batman's presence at the scene of the crime is circumstantial until any more compelling evidence can be uncovered linking Batman to the alleged crime)? Wouldn't the police be duty-bound to consider what Batman's motive was for killing The Ice Princess bearing in mind he had done nothing as crazy or unfathonable before or since her death?

If the answers to all or even most of these questions is yes the overwhelming likilhood is that Batman would have been eventually cleared of murder, regardless of what a few mistaken eyewitnesses claim they saw occurring on a roof 100 feet or so above their vantage point.

As for some of your arguments The Joker...

Yes, there is if the Cops want to find out where the rest of the gang is and who they are working for. Someone put them up to it.
That may have been the case, and could even be considered to be a plothole (even as a fan of the film I won't pretend this film contains more than its fair share of these). However, whether The Red Triangle Circus Gang did or did not buckle under pressure to give up there boss' identity at this stage has little bearing on whether they'd do the same later on once it became clear who their boss was and what he had been up to. Not to mention, their supposed (but IMHO questionable) loyalty to The Penguin would have been a moot point once their boss was dead. By that stage it would make little to no sense for them to remian loyal to The Penguin bearing in mind the stack of evidence against them.

No, they were also up on murder charges.
With all due respect, you have accused me of speculation but a number of the points you make including this one, is pure speculation. Unless we saw the circus gang kill anyone and I maintain that we didn't, although it's clear that a number of the gang who had evaded arrest until the end were going to be indicted with attempted murder for their part in the kidnapping of the first-born sons, I don't see how anyone can state with any certainty that they were going to be indicted with murder charges.

Your belief makes little to no sense bearing in mind that the murder of various Gotham citizens would surely have merited front-page news on the covers of Gotham's various newspapers, and yet headlines like 'ME-OUCH' and 'Batman Blows It' seem to focus entirely on the millions of dollars of structural damage sustained against its various shops and properties. Since when has damage to a few shops taken precedence in the news over mass killings? No doubt you will argue this point as well as you strike me as the type of person who won't back down in an argument but I'd have more respect if you'd concede this point since does not seem particularly arguable to me.

No, they wouldn't since Penguin had not even put that plan down on paper yet. He had not gotten access to the Hall of Records after the first attack.
So what if he hadn't yet gotten access to the Hall of Records? That was his intention in ascending to the surface. He surely would have included his gang members in his masterplan which was always to kill Gotham's first-born children, NOT to become Mayor, which was merely a side-issue cooked up by Max Shreck.

Oh man, come on. You just said yourself you saw a shop keeper being attacked. What was a shop keeper doing in there if the store was closed? How did the poodle just walk into the cafe with the grenade unless it was open?
I've already addressed this point, but if you're going to be pedantic...the shop-keeper I was referring to seemed to be an unfortunate victim of what looked like 'happy-slapping'. Sure, it can very, very occasionally result in someone's death but that's hardly ever the case. In fact, the clowns slapping the shopkeeper on the head was almost comical in how relatively tame it appeared. I think the gang merely wanted to create as much chaos as possible. If they really wanted to kill anyone they would have pushed the shopkeeper to the ground and then proceeded to kick the proverbial out of him, or even simpler, just have shot him with one of the various weapons at their disposal.

The shopkeeper probably lived above the shop, although it may also have been a 24-hour convenience store. However, it appeared quite clear to me thata the attack occurred late at night. We even see a clock a couple of scenes later indicating that the gang's rampage took place during the late hours of the night/early hours of the morning.

As for how the poodle got into the store, admittedly that may be a plothole but since we don't see any customers in the restaurant, nor even any lights on, I refuse to believe it was open. The more likely possibility is that one of the circus thugs had already broken into the restaurant and absconded before the poodle could caus maximum damage with the grenade. Anyway, it was just a funny, cool looking shot. I don't think we're meant to take the whys and wherefores too seriously in this instance.

There was people present in all of these buildings that they blew up. Just because Schreck's was closed doesn't mean every where was. There's no universal hour for a close of business. Plus even if they had blown up Schreck's they would have killed the two security guards whom Catwoman had frightened off.
I've answered this point above, but I will reiterate the most compelling point. If the gang had killed anyone in this attack it would be reasonable to assume that their deaths would have made front-page news and have been the focal-point of The Penguin's post-riot speech to the public. Instead, no mention was made of any casualties, although millions of dollars in property damage was cited.

Another thing, why would the circus gang blow up Shreck's Department Store? The point is The Penguin was working alongside Shreck so as far as his gang went that was a no-go zone. Therefore, there was no chance of them killing Shreck's security guards.

One final point here. Catwoman later demonstrates that she's not interested in killing innocent people; in fact it goes against her nature. Why would she then team up with The Penguin if she believed and understood him and his gang to be murderers? Your argument makes no sense. Bear in mind that when Catwoman teamed up with The Penguin she had no idea he was going to kill Gotham's first-born sons and simply believed his list to be an 'enemies list' ala Nixon.

Make no mistake, they killed people. Many people.
If you believe that after what I would argue is incontrovertible evidence to the contrary that's your prerogative.

I like it when people are able to raise their hands up and say 'maybe I was wrong', or at least 'you have a point'. I do this whenever I believe someone has a strong argument. However, I suspect (although hope I am wrong) that you will maintain your stance and seek to argue these points however tenuous your arguments might be.

They would all be charged with murder because the it was a mass gang attack. The Cops can't be sure which specific ones blew up one store. They just know the circus gang was involved. They'd all be charged as one criminal conspiracy.
They would not all be charged with murder. They'd be charged with criminal conspiracy sure, but this is not the same as a collective murder charge, unless it can be established that each member of the gang had a part in anyone person's killing.

Assuming anyone did commit murder in the first two attacks on Gotham, the nature of the rioting was so haphazard I can't see how anyone would come to the conclusion that there was an orchestrated plan to kill anyone. It would go completely against the interests of justice and a fair trial if the gang were to be indicted as one for any individual killing undertaken by one or more members of the gang.

And how do you know Gotham carries a death sentence for murder? In fact all evidence suggests it doesn't since none of them ratted Penguin out.
I don't know. Neither do you. I never stated that I did. It was a minor point to underscore how useful a confession might be, but the stakes don't have to be quite as high as a death sentence. There are other bargaining 'chips' even for a crime as cut-and-dry as murder, or conspiracy to murder. Even if life-imprisonment was on the cards a deal for a particular prison might be made. It's also likely that some of the members of the gang involved in the kidnapping of the children could negotiate a lesser sentence as 'accessories' to kidnap etc.

Of course all this is pure speculation, but as my questions at the above of this post should illustrate, the overwhelming likelihood is that Gordon and his officers would have found some way of getting the truth out of one of the gang during routine questioning. It's very difficult in such circumstances involving multiple arrestees for everything to remain under wraps. That's just common-sense.

Whether Gordon believed Batman was guilty or not was irrelevant. Without a shred of proof to clear him he's got nothing.

What he has got is evidence against Batman, including:

- A blood stained batarang found in the Ice Princess' dressing room
- Hundreds of eye witness accounts of Batman pushing the Ice Princess
- More eye witness accounts of Batman getting into his Batmobile and trashing the city with it
The first and second 'pieces of evidence' are purely circumstantial. A blood-stained batarang and Batman getting into his car to evade a mob of blood-thirsty members of the public mean nothing without any other overwhelming evidence.

Before anyone starts jumping to conclusions regarding the batarang who is to say that it even belongs to Batman in the first place?

I trust you've seen 12 Angry Men. I'm guessing you'd have been one of the ones on the jury voting 'guilty' on the basis of the knife and the fact that there couldn't be more than one such weapon.

And you think Gordon is going to make some sort of case to prove Batman is innocent by getting the circus gang to squeal on Penguin just to clear a vigilante whom he already allows to go around killing criminals anyway?

Without a motive, or any witnesses who clearly saw Batman oush the princess, and I'd argue that noone could clearly see what Batman had or had not done from one-hundred or so feet below, the evidence against Batman is pretty flimsy. I'd agree that the police would want to bring him in for questioning but if, as I suspect, Gordon was able to find evidence exonerating Batman, including possible confessions from The Penguin's gang and corrorobative evidence including the plans to the Batmobile inside The Penguin's lair, and The Penguin's campaign van and the mini-Batmobile, it wouldn't have been too difficult to establish a case against The Penguin which would in time, clear Batman from any intentional wrong-doing.

That was a simple case of they don't have a hope in hell of beating Batman so lets get the hell out of here before he arrives. They already saw he was coming in something very large and fast.
The Penguin felt clearly betrayed by his gang's decision to abandon him. If they were as blindly loyal as you seem to suggest they are they would have stuck around until the end even if it meant having their asses whopped by Batman.

Also, your point applies to their arrests. Asuming the gang abandoned The Penguin because they didn't have a hope in hell of beating Batman, then it only stands to reason that they would try to cut a deal with the police if that was there 'only hope in hell' of a lengthy prison sentence.

Oh yes it does. If a man who's chosen to hide his identity and willingly kill criminals pushed a beauty queen off a roof, why would that be so hard to believe?
He's killed criminals liked you state. NOT innocents. If we assume the same length of time has passed between the events of Batman and Batman Returns as the gap between the two movies' respective releases, and I see no reason to suspect otherwise, Batman has presumably been known to the public for approximately three years. In that time he haas apparently gained the trust of Commissioner Gordon and even the Mayor who we see casually chatting to him after the first Red Triangle Circus Gang attack on the city. Even if Batman was capable of randomly killing a beauty queen, it doesn't fit with everything the public knows about him, no matter how limited that might be. People would naturally be asking questions as to why Batman would do such a thing, and it's only reasonable that the issue of motive would need to be addressed before concluding that Batman did kill The Ice Princess without any shread of doubt.

Dirty Harry is a well known figure with an identity and a past and probably a psychological profile done on him, too. He's not a mysterious figure people have clue who he is and he doesn't operate outside the law.
I haven't sen those films for a long time but I'm pretty sure he did operate outside the law, which is why he was in constant trouble with his superior officers and why in one instance he threw his badge away.

And why on earth should they come to that conclusion? Penguin wasn't seen anywhere near the scenes of these events. Neither was the Red Triangle gang come to that. Nobody was except Batman.
To begin with I would agree that there was little reason to suspect The Penguin's involvement in The Ice Princess' murder, which is why I maintain that Gordon's dogged determinaton to establish the truth and not automatically assume that Batman was a killer for the flimsiest of reasons, plus the later revelations concerning The Penguin's manipulation of Gotham, hatred of Batman and various other plans to kill people, not to mention Batman's part in foiling those same plans, would surely have led to a thorough investigation.

I don't doubt for a moment that a cloud would always hang over Batman, even if he was exonerated of an innocent's murder, following the events of Batman Returns, and that the public and as a result, the plice, would be very wary of having anything to do with him once any degree of suspicion had fallen on him regarding a beloved figure's kidnap and death. However, I still maintain that as far as the law was concerned it wouldn't have been too difficult for the truth to emerge once Batman had foiled The Penguin and some arrests had been made.

In any case, I'm one of those people who don't consider Batman Forever to be a proper sequel to Batman Returns. I suspect that if the events of Batman Forever really did follow Batman Returns, we would be looking at a much more fractured relationship between Batman and the public/police, more on par with the type of relationship they shared during the first half of Batman where Batman was still regarded as a shadowy, somewhat untrustworthy individual and not one who could simply be summoned to action any time Gotham needed some help.

Really? So lets take into account all the goons Joker had with him at the parade including the ones Batman gunned down, then the ones he conveniently had up in the church tower, then the ones he had come collect him in the helicopter.

You're trying to tell me his gang was small just because he kept a small handful around him?
Once again, this is a rather minor point which does little for either side of the argument, but I still maintain that The Joker's gang is much smaller than The Red Triangle Circus Gang. Apart from the black shade-wearing guy who knocks the crap out of Batman, the other two goons in the church tower were regularly seen with The Joker, including during the gallery scene. The goons in the helicopter were at the parade and were also sen in the gallery scene, and only a handful of other goons were killed at the parade.

You couldn't argue any such thing because you've got no basis for that argument. I, on the other hand, have the facts I quoted you above from the movie to support mine.
What facts? They seem less facts than personal observations and speculationl, which to be fair is also what I'm mainly going on. Please don't assert these as FACTS though since it only weakens your argument and gives the impression of unreasonability when as I state it's clear that much of what you have stated is pure speculation and assumption as well. At least I have provided a logical, coherent argument for my position based on various factors, speculation or not.

Oh for god's sake, man, did you really need to see the Police slapping the cuffs on them to know they got arrested? What did you think they did with all those beaten clowns, gave them a good talking to and sent them on their way?
Weren't you the one who earlier stated that unles you see or are told somehing it's only speculation? Seems like that statement applies to the both of us...

I don't doubt for a moment that some of tha gang, at least the guy who apprehended Selina, were arrested during the first attack on the Plaza, but apart from that one guy we don't see any other thugs knocked out, and we certainly don't see any police officers make any arrests prior to Batman's exit. Since the gang's objective was always to cause maximum chaos and either capture Max Shreck or cause him to flee and then get captured, it's much more likely that the various members of the gang who attacked the Plaza fled as soon as Batman arrived, and that the ones who were beaten up by him also ran off as soon as they got off their asses.

You're not trying to tell me all those guys Batman beat all managed to get up and clear out in that short time, are you?
Wny not? The film wasn't shot in 'real time'. They could quite easily have got away before the proper police arrived. Once Batman gets out of the Batmobile we only ever see him take on one thug, the guy who manhandled Selina. During this encounter it seems like the various thugs have fled the scene.

I have watched the film several times and I don't recall hearing any police sirens, although assuming you're right, and it's a fair point, the gang could easily have fled before the police got to the plaza since they already seemed to have dispersed by the time Batman has knocked out the one thug.

There's a reason we never see the stilt walkers and bikers again in the second attack.
Yes, because the action didn't require them. How cumbersome is it going to be for stilt walkers and bikers to enter shops and beat up random shop-keepers etc? They were more effectiveduring the initial attack on the Plaza since that attack was taking place inn a much more open environment.

How dumb would Batman be to go to Police HQ voluntarily when he's wanted for murder? If that's what Gordon was doing, then he's an idiot. Batman was never going to come when he was a wanted man by them.
I never said Batman would voluntarily turn himself in did I? However, if Gordon trusts Batman, and all evidence indicates that he does, he would surely want to get in touch with him, and how else is he going to do that? It's a criticism of the film that I will readily accept and you no doubt harbour, that Gordon and Batman's relationship was never as developed as deeply as it should have been. However, whatever the film's shortcomings there is no reason to believe that Batman and Gordon don't enjoy the same relationship they do in the Nolan films even if we don't see it.

I have no idea who controls the Bat-signal in Batman Returns but comic-lore not to mention Schumacher and Nolan's entirely independent Batman-movies might suggest Gordon is primarily responsible for it. It's not stupid to think that Gordon would wish to speak to Batman one-to-one to try and get to the bottom of what happened. If Batman heard Gordon tell his men to stop firing during the rooftop scene Batman may even be well aware that Gordon is sympathetic and that his trust might be in Batman's best interest.

JohnnyGobbs, I'm not going to go through all of that again to just essentially repeat what I've already said to you twice already now.

If you want to believe some unfounded notion that Batman got cleared off screen by the Red Triangle gang then go for it. I don't write off such major plot points based on nothing. Good movies don't do that. Which is why I suspect it was going to be left for the next movie to be addressed. But the backlash Returns got put an end to that.

You can't even seem to acknowledge the basics shown in the movie without conjuring up your own unfounded what ifs. Case in point, the whole Red Triangle gang actually killing people during their attacks like in the cafe bombing. You make up some notion that because you don't see any customers in it that it was deserted. The door was open. The lights were on. No sign it was broken into. There was undoubtedly some people in there, staff at the very least:

cafe.jpg

Even your other points like Batman stopping the Penguin from destroying the city has no basis because how is anyone going to know Batman did that? It was all done through the Batcave.

I can't debate with someone who can't even acknowledge the basics. No offense.

Peace out.

Last edited:
JohnnyGobbs, I'm not going to go through all of that again to just essentially repeat what I've already said to you twice already now.

If you want to believe some unfounded notion that Batman got cleared off screen by the Red Triangle gang then go for it. I don't write off such major plot points based on nothing. Good movies don't do that. Which is why I suspect it was going to be left for the next movie to be addressed. But the backlash Returns got put an end to that.
By all means rubbish the film. I don't have a problem with you having a negative opinion about the film, but when people try and make unfounded claims based on little to no evidence, or rubbish perfectly reasonable arguments by people who d like the film I do question their agenda.

You can't even seem to acknowledge the basics shown in the movie without conjuring up your own unfounded what ifs. Case in point, the whole Red Triangle gang actually killing people during their attacks like in the cafe bombing. You make up some notion that because you don't see any customers in it that it was deserted. The door was open. The lights were on. No sign it was broken into. There was undoubtedly some people in there, staff at the very least:

cafe.jpg
This is laughable! You've failed to address all my other points and instead give me a screencap of a clearly empty cafe with outside lights illuminating the interior. There's nobody in there for goodness sake! Plus there are no inside lights on. LOL! :woot: Priceless!

Thanks for the laugh though mate! I appreciate it.

Even your other points like Batman stopping the Penguin from destroying the city has no basis because how is anyone going to know Batman did that? It was all done through the Batcave.
Who else could have stopped The Penguin from blowing up Gotham or indeed kidnapping the children and drowning them? Some other masked vigilante with hi-tech devices at their exposal that Gotham doesn't yet know about? It certainly wasn't the police, and as far as whether Batman is guilty for murder or not, they are the only ones that count unless someone tries to bring a private prosecution, which is admittedly a possibility.

I can't debate with someone who can't even acknowledge the basics. No offense.

Peace out.
I went to very conscientious detail to address all your points offering many, many arguments you have failed to acknowledge and therefore, rebut. I can only conclude that you are unable to satisfactorily address these points which is fine. I don't hold that against you at all, but to lack the humility to either admit that or to shrug off my lengthy and forensic arguments by suggesting that I 'can't even ackowledge the basics' takes such chutzpah.

No probs. I've made my point. If you don't accept them that's fine. I hope others on this board will be more receptive, or at least willing to engage in reasoned discussion if they don't agree. Besides, a hardened Batman Returns hater (and judging by the tone and style of your post I believe I have encountered you elsewhere on this topic) is going to take such an antagonistic position on this film no matter what. It's a pity because if you are who I think you are we generally get along much better on another forum. Apologies however if this is a case of mistaken identity.

I'm going to have to agree with Joker in that you can't just rely on unfounded speculation to provide an answer. The film does not address Batman's name being cleared. Had Burton did a third film it would have been cool if he went over that but alas.

The whole issue of Batman's name being cleared is dealt with in Peter David's excellent Batman Forever novelisation, in which Bats is helped out by none other than Harvey Dent.

The whole issue of Batman's name being cleared is dealt with in Peter David's excellent Batman Forever novelisation, in which Bats is helped out by none other than Harvey Dent.

Yes, I might get it out and quote some passages but I believe it is suggested that once various members of The Penguin's gang were apprehended their evidence helped clear Batman.

The novelisation, which is incidentally much superior to the film, also establishes a fascinating basis for the friendship and mutual support between Batman and Harvey Dent, pre-Two Face. On an unrelated note, the novelisation also adds some extra character shading to Edward Nygma during one of its opening passages which depicts his childhood, including being the victim of bullying and developing an early admiration, bordering on obsession for Bruce Wayne after glimpsing a newspaper picture of a determined looking Bruce post-murder of his parents.

I think the real question is why was the door to the cafe open since its clearly the middle of winter in a freezing cold town....that's the real problem! haha

I'm pretty sure Catwoman still had one life left after the ending with Shreck. Bruce saw her shadow run away before he picked up her black cat at the end.

As far as her popping up at the very end of the movie when the batsignal goes off, I saw it as a way to mirror the ending of B89. I assumed she was standing on a ledge with a camera behind her.

Don't get me wrong, I love Returns, it's my favorite Batman movie but there are some moments that make me go "huh."

I like that we're not given a definitive answer about whether or not Catwoman really has 9 supernatural lives. Lots of mystique!!!

I just remember her twisted countdown as she was being shot by Shreck. :funny:

"Two lives left. I think I'll save one for next Christmas. In the mean time, how about a kiss Santy Claus?" Then she goes in for the propane and electric wire for the kiss.

Six, seven, all good girls go to heaven.

Burton always takes something dark, and still makes it grim but in his own silly whimsy style. Like when Shreck is electrocuted, his corpse is burned to a crisp but his hair and eyes remain. It's dark, but in a Burton way.

I always liked the "4...5...STILL ALIVE!"

Michelle Pfeiffer absolutely owned that character! If anyone could have pulled off a spin-off movie it would have been her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"