The Official Batman Returns Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only problem with the movie was the penguins with rocket launchers. I love the visuals, the music, the duality between the three main characters, etc. But the penguins with rocket launchers are simply a WTF moment more appropriate for Schumacher's movies than Burton's IMHO.

Well, that was something from the comic books tho

I thought so. He was of a puppet of Max Schrek... even though he had the "master plan" to steal all the children that Max didn't seem to know about. I think Schreck was just overused. But they needed him as the foil for Catwoman (to create her) and as the guy who could bring Penguin out of the sewers and into the spotlight. Kind of a tricky thing to do, really.

Ah ok. I had misunderstood you.

Plenty of the crap in Batman & Robin is from the comics too. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Absolutely. But most Bat fans are just obsessed with "its in the comics so its great and valid no matter what it is" and "it wasnt in the comics, its wrong and its not what should be in the movie no matter what it is or how good it is"

So I've got kind of a weird question; does anybody know if there's deleted material in Batman Returns of the batmobile firing a kind of disc during any of it's scenes? the reason I ask is multi-layered, one is this mcdonalds commercial from the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWK1HC8PjUw&playnext=1&list=PL0C3A106B109D69C8

it looks kind of weird, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for mcdonalds to go through to sell a cup lid if it's not actually from the movie.
also, if anyone remembers the Batman Returns SNES game, you are firing discs out of the batmobile during that level.
so yeah, maybe I sound like an idiot, but I find it fascinating that there could be something from the Burton batflicks that I was unaware of, seeing as how I don't think the footage is on any of the dvd or blu ray releases and i've just sort of happened upon it.

I wish I had those cups. And that shot of Batman running as he transforms into a drawing on one of the cups was cool. It would've been even cooler if that shot (of him running) was in the movie.

little batarang discs shot out of the batmobile in the beginning of BR at the skull headed motorcycle thugs.

So I've got kind of a weird question; does anybody know if there's deleted material in Batman Returns of the batmobile firing a kind of disc during any of it's scenes? the reason I ask is multi-layered, one is this mcdonalds commercial from the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWK1HC8PjUw&playnext=1&list=PL0C3A106B109D69C8

it looks kind of weird, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble for mcdonalds to go through to sell a cup lid if it's not actually from the movie.
also, if anyone remembers the Batman Returns SNES game, you are firing discs out of the batmobile during that level.
so yeah, maybe I sound like an idiot, but I find it fascinating that there could be something from the Burton batflicks that I was unaware of, seeing as how I don't think the footage is on any of the dvd or blu ray releases and i've just sort of happened upon it.

Looks to me like they just added superimposed cup lids coming out of the top of the Batmobile for the commercial. That wouldn't be hard to do, even at that time. The commercial even features a more complex effect of the characters morphing into cups, so it seems as if they put some money into the commercial.

little batarang discs shot out of the batmobile in the beginning of BR at the skull headed motorcycle thugs.

That's what I'm wondering. It doesn't actually happen in the movie, though. He knocks the one motorcycle guy off his bike with that flat piece that swings open on the side of the car, and backhands another one after he gets out to save selina from the clown with the taser.

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the extras or the comic for BR they explain that they are actually batarang discs that fly out when those openings are opened up if you look closely and slow down the film I think I can see it.

If they made a sequel to BR, I think it should have been loosely based on The Dark Knight Returns. Batman retires for 3 years since the end of BR.

Last edited:
If they made a sequel they should have addressed how Batman got out of the frame up for the Ice Princess' murder.

Batman Forever just seemed to gloss over that.

If they made a sequel they should have addressed how Batman got out of the frame up for the Ice Princess' murder.

Batman Forever just seemed to gloss over that.

joker-not-sure-if-serious-o.gif

I'm confused by what you're trying to say with that?

Im confused on whether or not your previous post was serious...

It was serious. returntovoid was talking about it they had made a sequel to Batman Returns, what they should do with it.

Im with Joker on that one. Its like if The Dark Knight Rises would completely ignore the framing aspect of The Dark Knight story. There was such a great story and potential in continuing this storyline of Batman seen as enemy and Forever ignored it completely

Last edited:
I'm actually working on a graphic novel that's inspired by the Burton-Two. It's supposed to be the story that takes place after Batman Returns. Pieces of the story are picked up from rumored ideas from Batman Returns and it's possible sequel. The death of the Ice Princess will be addressed. I know it's a cheap plug but I just wanted to say something. More information, including the logo & art, can be found here: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=357911

Im with Joker on that one. Its like if The Dark Knight Rises would completely ignore the framing aspect of The Dark Knight story. There was such a great story and potential in continuing this storyline of Batman seen as enemy and Forever ignored it completely

Tim Burton ignored his previous continuity with Returns... apart from a few cheap Vicki mentions.

Why should Forever... with a new vision mind you... be any different.

Exactly. Batman Forever was a loose sequel at most. It's as moot as asking why Schumacher didn't explain why Gotham went from being bleak to being filled with neon. And on another level, it is something that could be left up to a comic tie in. BF didn't take place exactly after BR. Lots of things could have happened between the few years of the films(trying to rationalize it).

Exactly... minus Pat Hingle and Michael Gough its almost a complete reboot.

WB wanted to quickly move on from Returns... so why on earth would they wish to bring any dangling plot points over.

The Burton/Shumacher series isn't continuity ridden... its just a series of episodes in Batman's life.

It's not almost a complete reboot just because there's a new Batman and a new tone and visuals.

Batman 1989 and Batman Returns look and feel very different. Gotham City is different. Wayne Manor is different. The Batcave is different. Batman's got a new suit. Returns is way darker in tone. But it's still a sequel to Batman 1989. It's just that Batman 1989 didn't leave any lingering plots to be dealt with other than Bruce being with Vicki which was covered in his conversation with Selina.

Batman was framed for murder and it was never rectified in Returns. That's a major plot point. It shouldn't have been ignored. They can slip in a reference about Batman liking strong women in skin tight vinyl and a whip but they can't mention how he got cleared of murder?

Last edited:
Didn't Tim Burton himself say he wouldn't really consider Returns a sequel...

I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Last edited:
Batman was framed for murder and it was never rectified in Returns. That's a major plot point. It shouldn't have been ignored. They can slip in a reference about Batman liking strong women in skin tight vinyl and a whip but they can't mention how he got cleared of murder?

I don't know if it was such a major loose end as such. I always figured that The Red Trinagle Circus Gang members apprehended by Batman, during the kidnapping of the children, could quite easily have cleared Batman for the kidnap and murder of The Ice Princess, especially if there was any chance of a plea bargain for a lesser sentence. That's assuming Batman didn't kill the Organ Grinder etc like he apparently did with the Strong Man...:whatever:

I don't know if it was such a major loose end as such. I always figured that The Red Trinagle Circus Gang members apprehended by Batman, during the kidnapping of the children, could quite easily have cleared Batman for the kidnap and murder of The Ice Princess, especially if there was any chance of a plea bargain for a lesser sentence. That's assuming Batman didn't kill the Organ Grinder etc like he apparently did with the Strong Man...:whatever:

Nice theory but it is just baseless speculation. I didn't see the other Red Triangle members who got caught in the first and second attack on Gotham selling out Penguin for a lighter sentence. So why should they save Batman's bacon?

Didn't Tim Burton himself say he wouldn't really consider Returns a sequel...

I sure I read that somewhere.

He did. But read how he worded it:

"Batman Returns is not really a sequel to Batman. It doesn't pick up where the first film left off . . . The point was to make it all feel fresh and new."

http://imaginarycinema.com/bat2.html

How many sequels pick up where the last movie left off? I can only think of one off the top of my head and that's Halloween II. So I don't know where he's getting that logic from. A movie doesn't have to pick up from where the last one left off to be a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"