Comics Regarding Gambit and The New Sun.

Mistopurr83

Sidekick
Reaction score
I understand the New Sun is an alternate reality version of Gambit but, is it also what 616 Gambit was originally meant to be? I heard the reason why Gambit doesn't have the powers/abilities of the New Sun is b/c Mr. Sinister removed them soon after he was born. Does anyone here know if that's true? A good answer would be very appreciated.

Is it possible 616 Gambit is gonna become The New Sun in the future? I read about some spoilers from X-Men 186 and it's giving me a feeling that Marvel must be planning something big for Gambit when he returns. You never know. Gambit becoming The New Sun could be an epic arc like the Pheonix saga was. Of course only time will tell if that's gonna happen.

The thing with Sinister was that not when he was kid. Remy couldnt control his powers and Sinister removed part of his brain, thus limiting his powers. Now he was indebt with Sinister. So Sinister made him do a few missions for him. One being the Mutant Massacre, which Remy didint know was a massacre.

In Gambit's first ongoing series he had Sinister replace what was taken from his brain. That is when his powers grew. He even fought The New Sun. He sapposedly burnt out his enhanced powers in that fight however.

Thanx for those answers but there's still something that's confusing about this. Were Gambit's powers leveled down by Sinister just before he joined the x-men? Was his solo series (where he fought the New Sun) a prequel to his first appearance (issue #266)? Was Gambit suppost to be the New Sun of the main universe or not? A lot of this is sounding vague to me so I need something clearly expressed about it. So I'll ask again...

Were Gambit's New Sun powers removed right after he was born or just before that massacre event took place? I need to know exactly when Sinister removed his new sun powers. Every source I've read about this doesn't clearly express how it happened. All they say is that Sinister is responsible for Gambit not having his new sun powers.

It was before he joined the Xmen, when he was grown man, not a child. Sinister didint know Gambit when he was a child (at least nont 616)

At least not until they retcon him into some clone-tastic creation of Sinister with a pinch of Scott Summers like in The End.

Sinister dampened down Gambit's New Sun like powers when he was 18 years old. It was clearly stated in the first Gambit series by Fabian where the New Sun series was written. Gambit was to marry right after his eighteenth birthday and then of course had to leave the Guild because of the killing of his brother-in-law at the wedding and subsequently ending the marriage on the spot. The Gambit series states that in his travels right after that is when his powers start growing out of control, this is when he meets Scalphunter as Grey Crow and doesn't know that the man already knows Sinister and it as assumed when his out of control powers have something to do with that theater in Seattle. Sinister operates on Gambit to tamp down his powers in return for Gambit working for him on some specificed number of tasks with the last one being the marauders.

Gambit is well in his 20s by the time he meets up with the X-Men (there is a statement somewhere about it being nearly six years since he had to leave the Thieves so Gambit was about 24 when he first meet Storm.

Given that the Massacre was a few years back Marvel time prior to Gambit joining, Gambit worked on and off for Sinister as required from about 18 to 21/22 years old until he completely repayed the debt with the last task and got the capsule with the part of himself that was removed to damp down his powers. I would suspect that Sinister just shown up every now and then in Gambit's life to ask him to steal something for him for those few years since we know Gambit was out and about all during those years traveling around via other stories of Gambit's past.

Then after joining the X-Men, after Antartica, and during the New Sun time in his book, Gambit went back in time to save his father and had the Sinister of the past replace the part of him that allowed him to tap into his full power again. Gambit seemed to be getting a handle on his control much better than he did as a teen and could time travel, as well as trvel between dimensions and just look at someone and affect their molecular structure through kinetics including blowing anything or anyone up. In his final battle with New Sun they both expended alot of energy and Gambit says he used up his extra powers. Personally I think it makes more sense Gambit has a mental block about them since he never wanted them in the first place knowing how dangerous they were and New Sun confirming how deadly there are since he destroyed a whole world.

So I would think the potential is still there but it's highly unlikely Gambit will ever tap it again unless something terrible happens).

what i dont understand is why apocalypse didn't restore them to that level.. rather than giving him stupid 'gas powers' why not just enhance what was already there? that's what he's done with every other incarnation of horsemen after all..

canned_raccoon said:
what i dont understand is why apocalypse didn't restore them to that level.. rather than giving him stupid 'gas powers' why not just enhance what was already there? that's what he's done with every other incarnation of horsemen after all..

Because it's being written by Milligan? I agree in a sense. In the past, Poccy has enhanced the already existing powers but I would have never expected him to enhance Gambit to New Sun levels - then he'd be more powerful than Poccy and Poccy couldn't deal with that. The real problem is that Gambit didn't need to be Horseman - in the sense that like Angel did (ie Angel was in a bad way both as written - he had lost his wings and was desperate and as a character in general - and as a character had a weak power and history and deperately needed an upgrade to get him just even with the rest of his team in terms of potential). Gambit's powers were fine as is and his mindframe at the time doesn't fit with the one who needed to join Apocalypse because he was desperate so Gambit was shoehorned into the story to get him out of the books it seems when all the character really needed was a writer willing to use his regular powers and thief skills in a creative and useful way for the team. Polaris on the other hand was a good choice and hopefully will pay off when Brubaker gets her.

f4faith said:
Because it's being written by Milligan?

i thought so...:(

yeah, i agree, not a boost back to new son levels, but at least an increase in what was already there would have made sense.. and yes, the story has been a poorly written excuse to apparently bump gambit into limbo :mad: .. but carey starts soon..>rocks back and forth<..carey starts soon..

f4faith said:
Sinister dampened down Gambit's New Sun like powers when he was 18 years old. It was clearly stated in the first Gambit series by Fabian where the New Sun series was written. Gambit was to marry right after his eighteenth birthday and then of course had to leave the Guild because of the killing of his brother-in-law at the wedding and subsequently ending the marriage on the spot. The Gambit series states that in his travels right after that is when his powers start growing out of control, this is when he meets Scalphunter as Grey Crow and doesn't know that the man already knows Sinister and it as assumed when his out of control powers have something to do with that theater in Seattle. Sinister operates on Gambit to tamp down his powers in return for Gambit working for him on some specificed number of tasks with the last one being the marauders.

Gambit is well in his 20s by the time he meets up with the X-Men (there is a statement somewhere about it being nearly six years since he had to leave the Thieves so Gambit was about 24 when he first meet Storm.

Given that the Massacre was a few years back Marvel time prior to Gambit joining, Gambit worked on and off for Sinister as required from about 18 to 21/22 years old until he completely repayed the debt with the last task and got the capsule with the part of himself that was removed to damp down his powers. I would suspect that Sinister just shown up every now and then in Gambit's life to ask him to steal something for him for those few years since we know Gambit was out and about all during those years traveling around via other stories of Gambit's past.

Then after joining the X-Men, after Antartica, and during the New Sun time in his book, Gambit went back in time to save his father and had the Sinister of the past replace the part of him that allowed him to tap into his full power again. Gambit seemed to be getting a handle on his control much better than he did as a teen and could time travel, as well as trvel between dimensions and just look at someone and affect their molecular structure through kinetics including blowing anything or anyone up. In his final battle with New Sun they both expended alot of energy and Gambit says he used up his extra powers. Personally I think it makes more sense Gambit has a mental block about them since he never wanted them in the first place knowing how dangerous they were and New Sun confirming how deadly there are since he destroyed a whole world.

So I would think the potential is still there but it's highly unlikely Gambit will ever tap it again unless something terrible happens).

Thank you f4faith. That was really helpful and now I get it. It seems like Gambit's reason for not wanting the new sun powers is b/c their too much for him and he can't control them. With those powers he probably would be the most powerful superhero in the marvel universe. However I still think 616 Gambit actually turning into the New Sun would set up an exciting arc. He wouldn't seem like the same person anymore and the x-men would struggle (as they did with Pheonix) to turn him back into Remy Lebeau.

I've read on interviews that there are future plans for Gambit that won't be seen until adjectiveless x-men #200. So that's a whole year away. It only seems like Marvel is writing Gambit out temporarily instead of writing him poorly (as the sucky Milligan did) so they can have enough time to set up something great or interesting for him when he returns. This is why I've become curious about the New Sun. As we all know 616 Gambit has not become the full blown New Sun (yet?).

Mistopurr83 said:
Thank you f4faith. That was really helpful and now I get it. It seems like Gambit's reason for not wanting the new sun powers is b/c their too much for him and he can't control them.

Well actually he was getting pretty decent control at the end but the issue with Gambit is that like Phoenix, no one can be in that kind of control all the time and all it takes is one slip. Gambit just is not interested in that type of power and responsibility (which is why I think it's a mental block). The difference between Remy and Jean is that Jean actually liked the power while Gambit didn't/was ambivolent to it - it's the reason she can't ever completely give it up like he did. I think that is a fitting end to his version of the story. As Gambit himself says at the end of the arc, he isn't interested in being an overly powerful character - Gambit's always prided himself on surviving and living as a thief not a mutant and I like that about him.

However I still think 616 Gambit actually turning into the New Sun would set up an exciting arc. He wouldn't seem like the same person anymore and the x-men would struggle (as they did with Pheonix) to turn him back into Remy Lebeau.

But it's been done with Phoenix. As noted, the Gambit version of it was different in that Gambit gave it up and I don't think it will ever be seen again as overly powerful character who like being overly powerful usually have to die - at least as X-Men.

I've read on interviews that there are future plans for Gambit that won't be seen until adjectiveless x-men #200.

I think you are getting confused. Carey has said he will do a Gambit and Rogue meeting again issue either right before or after X-Men 200. There are no plans for Gambit to have anything to do with issue 200 or after that we know of and Carey has not indicated any interest yet of any long term plans beyond that for the character. So no as of yet, there are no real future plans that we know of for Gambit. There have been hints that Marvel keeps saying he will be used but there is no proof of that at the moment.

f4faith said:
I think you are getting confused. Carey has said he will do a Gambit and Rogue meeting again issue either right before or after X-Men 200. There are no plans for Gambit to have anything to do with issue 200 or after that we know of and Carey has not indicated any interest yet of any long term plans beyond that for the character. So no as of yet, there are no real future plans that we know of for Gambit. There have been hints that Marvel keeps saying he will be used but there is no proof of that at the moment.

I'm confused b/c different writers have been saying different things. One of them said Rogue's powers and Romy would be resolved and another one said there are future plans for Gambit. Now of course they weren't being specific about this and that doesn't really surprise me. Storytelling in comics always seem to be in flux.

By the way. You mentioned that Angel becoming Death only advanced him. Well I was wondering if you know this. When Wolverine was Death was he advanced in any way? Also how, when and why did Wolverine become Death? In fact how long did he stay that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"