Remakes that SHOULD be made.

Most of Hollywood is stupid. I don't get the logic behind remaking good films. The only films that should be remade are old ones with good ideas behind them but bad execution. What the hell is the point of remaking a good film!?!

There isn't. That's why remakes are generally frowned upon, being made for no apparent reason.

JACKASS.
lol jj
gone with the wind.

Die.

Most of Hollywood is stupid. I don't get the logic behind remaking good films. The only films that should be remade are old ones with good ideas behind them but bad execution. What the hell is the point of remaking a good film!?!

I think it's blasphemy just to MENTION such a thing.
Sorry, just a thought :csad:

I will beat myself to a pulp now:csad:

I thought Sam Raimi was directing new The Shadow movie?

Rumor was he was directing.
Now, I think he is only attached to produce.

The Shadow was a movie that, while flawed, was ahead of its time. Making a new version today could really be something special. I hope it gets made.

Forreal.

What do you guys think of a Back To The Future remake?

I wouldn't like it but I just want to see what you all think.

That's too popular, amazing, and unique to be remade.
I don't think that film will ever be remade.

JACKASS.
lol jj
gone with the wind.

Same as above post.
Even if it's 50+ years old.

There isn't. That's why remakes are generally frowned upon, being made for no apparent reason.

Most remakes are remakes to films that weren't all that shabby, anyway.
Either that, or they actually benefited from being remade (War of the Worlds, for example).

Before I throw in my own, I thought I'd highlight Entertainment Weekly's occasional contributions to this question. Every couple of months, in the movie reviews section, they have a sidebar blurb named "Remake This." The first unofficial entry in an "Ask the Critic" sidebar was when either Owen or Lisa said they'd love to see a remake of "Network." If I recall (it's been a few years), they suggested getting Anthony Hopkins as a reality-game-show host who goes berzerk and sends the ratings through the roof. Anyway, I dug up all the official entries and here they are:

Just One of the Guys: It’s almost criminal that this 1985 comedy—about a teenager named Terri (Joyce Hyser) who attends high school in boy’s clothes to win a journalism contest—grossed only $11.5 million at the box office. Refreshingly nonhomophobic—a disheveled hottie named Rick (Clayton Rohner) is unfazed when “Terry” dotes on his hair and clothes—Guys is the perfect redux candidate in light of Hollywood’s current appetite for role-reversal flicks…so long as it eschews the tabloid-tarnished Lindsay Lohan and casts the phenomenal Amber Tamblyn as the girl in drag.

Love in the Afternoon: Revamping an Audrey Hepburn romantic comedy borders on the sacrilegious, and can be deadly for your career. (Remember Julia Ormand? In 1995’s Sabrina? Exactly.) But director Billy Wilder’s schmaltzy 1957 soufflé of a film—about a naïve Parisian cellist (Hepburn) feigning worldliness to seduce an aging American playboy (a miscast Gary Cooper)—lacks the oomph and sly visual wit you’d expect in a self-declared homage to Ernst Lubitsch (To Be or Not To Be). Though Wilder and co-writer I.A.L. Diamond are also responsible for 1960’s gem The Apartment, Love is overly long and lacking in the zinger department—nothing a modern infusion of sharp rewriting and star power (say, the gamine-like Natalie Portman) couldn’t fix. Plus, who wouldn’t pay to see, say, Pierce Brosnan play a businessman slick enough to keep a quartet of violin-playing Gypsies on speed dial? –Michelle Kung

The Star Chamber: As usual, Hollywood’s got it all wrong. We get that new ideas are hard to come by, but lately, they’ve got this whole remake thing ass backwards. Take The Longest Yard. Why update a movie that pretty much stuck the landing the first time around? An ideal remake should be something with a killer premise that for some reason whiffed. Something like 1983’s The Star Chamber. Marking the last gasp of the ‘70s vigilante flick, Star Chamber stars Michael Douglas as an idealistic young judge tapped by his mentor to join a secret society of fed-up judges who meet in a dark, wood-paneled room to vote on some real justice – the kind that’s carried out by hitmen. Hear that, Hollywood? That’s the sound of red-state America opening its wallet. –Chris Nashawaty

The Black Cauldron: This Lloyd Alexander young-adult novel was butchered during the dark days at Disney Animation (post-Jungle Book, pre-Little Mermaid), its adaptation disappearing from Mouse House lore in shame…but that had nothing to do with the source material. Alexander’s five-volume Chronicles of Prydain tells the story of Taran, an Assistant Pig-Keeper, who—along with the strong-willed Princess Eilonwy—must save the kingdom from the forces of evil. Think Jamie Bell and Evan Rachel Wood. Think mythology and epic sweep. Anyone looking for the next Lord of the Rings (and you know everyone is) could do a lot worse. –Whitney Pastorek

Bullitt: Let’s dispense with the heresy right up top: Bullitt is not a very good movie. It just isn’t. It’s a relatively run-of-the-mill Bay Area detective story—nowhere near as good as, say, Vertigo, Dirty Harry, or even The Streets of San Francisco—redeemed only by one car chase. (And to an audience that’s seen the speed thrills of Ronin, that Mustang-over-the-hills scene doesn’t really hold up.) Yes, Steve McQueen was walking, talking cool, but the movie—about a stoic cop on the hunt for the person who killed the Mob informant he was assigned to protect—just sits there, wallowing in its turtle-necked pre-‘70s-ness. Why not take advantage of all the subcultures that San Francisco has to offer and craft a detective story that sends our Bullitt careening through the drug-laced enclaves of Haight-Ashbury, a mobbed-up Chinatown, and the go-go profit-hungry Silicon Valley? Get a director like The Bourne Supremacy’s Paul Greengrass or Layer Cake’s Matthew Vaughn—import helmers who can bring both a taut style and an intimate sense of place—to guide Ewan McGregor or, even better, Benicio Del Toro through their paces. And hey, Ford’s got a new Mustang on the road, one that looks like it’s just begging to jump over some Frisco hills. –Marc Bernardin

The Heroes of Telemark: Did you know that during WWII, the Third Reich was pretty far along in developing its own atomic bomb? It’s true. And they would’ve gotten away with it if a band of Norwegian resistance fighters hadn’t done what British and American forces failed to do—blow up the Nazi factory that was creating one of the key components. This story was previously told in 1965’s The Heroes of Telemark, starring Richard Harris and Kirk Douglas as members of the squad who skied in (yes, skied!) and saves the West from a nuclear attack. Put a couple of fresh faces in there—like Jake Gyllenhaal and Peter Sarsgaard—time it for the next Winter Olympics, and rake in the gold. –Mark Bernardin

- Clash of the Titans

What do you guys think of a Back To The Future remake?

I wouldn't like it but I just want to see what you all think.

jurassic park. make it just like the book and more violent/gory

No.

Exactly.

See I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of "Clash of the Titans".

However, I say no to 'Robocop'. It's fine the way it is. Same goes with Jurassic Park. Bullitt a bad movie? Come on.

310 to yuma looks like a good remake , i think it works better with movies that people have forgotten , if you remake robocop everyone is going to compare it to the original .
i would like to see a remake of old westerns like the magnificent seven or the wild bunch . also frankenstein for some reason

Robocop is special because it's a satire. The cheesey infomericals, one-liners were all classic Paul Verhoeven. It's just his brand of offbeat humor that no one else can copy.

A couple people on this thread have already mentioned The War of the Worlds. Ever since I read that book I've wanted not a remake of the movie (any of the movies) but a complete reimagining of the novel, that actually follows the plot of the book and is set during the turn of the 20th century. I've hated every film adaptation I've ever seen of that H.G. Wells masterpiece.
Exactly. Much better said. I think it could be visually stunning, and much more frightening than anything we've received.

Also, Van Helsing should be remade. Great idea...bad, bad, bad execution. Pearl Harbor as well. Keep the attack scene, change everything else.

Robocop is special because it's a satire. The cheesey infomericals, one-liners were all classic Paul Verhoeven. It's just his brand of offbeat humor that no one else can copy.

Exactly.

Plus you cant replace Peter Weller as Robocop or Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker without it probably being very lame. Robocop 3 shows part of that.

Robocop 3 was very lameo!

another good remake idea would be westworld...hmmm.

Hmm, not a bad idea.

I may be sounding like a broken record but Yul Brynner was a big cool factor for that movie. But it could turn out very cool.

I really think some of the pulp charcters, like The Phantom, should get a remake. Poor Billy Zane.

Also, I think a more faithful Aeon Flux remake would be great.

Aeon Flux could have been a lot better.

I actually liked The Phantom, but it could have been a lot better.

The Shadow was pretty cool but a remake wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Stephen King's It should really be remade, I know it was supposed to but I haven't heard anything about it in like a year.

310 to yuma looks like a good remake , i think it works better with movies that people have forgotten , if you remake robocop everyone is going to compare it to the original .
i would like to see a remake of old westerns like the magnificent seven or the wild bunch . also frankenstein for some reason

As long as they don't mess with the Sergio Leone films. :up:

Bloodsport as the ultimate martial arts film.With Van Damme,Seagal,Jet Li,Wesley Snipes,scott Adkins,Michael JAi white,Dolp Lundgren,Jackie Chan and the return of Sho Kosugi

The movie was horrible and used nothing good from the book. The only noteworthy thing about the mini-series is Pennywise, and even that was toned down significantly.

That and that damn guy with the ponytail and uber-mole on his face.

at least there wasn't any preteen sex.:down

uggh, just reading the wiki description made me sick. and it makes no sense! it would've been more practical for her to give them head.:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"