Spiritual Remakes- The only remakes that should be made...

Movies205

Corporate Money
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day after watching Scarface (1932), it reminded me greatly of Little Ceasar (1930). The story is very similar, of a no-body who was vicious enough was able to rise to the top but in the end loses everything due to there avarice. And there was plently of time in between for Scarface simple to have been a re-envisioned Little Ceasar. Another good one is Best Years of Our Lives (1946) and Born on the Fourth of July (1989) both about post-war trauma, one dealing with WW2 and the other dealing with the Vietnam War. You guys have any more spiritual remakes, none of this bull**** where it's simply the same thing with new actors (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :cmad:), but taking a story and changing it up with new characters, etc.

I guess Disturbia could be considered a "spiritual remake" to Rear Window. similar plotlines, though Disturbia does manage to be its own thing.

I guess Disturbia could be considered a "spiritual remake" to Rear Window. similar plotlines, though Disturbia does manage to be its own thing.

I'd say it's definately a Remake of Rear Window... At least from the trailer... Person confinded to his house sees a murder across the street... That'd be one :o I don't really like the term spirtiual remake, now that I think about it... :(

Recently, The Departed as a "spiritual remake" of Infernal Affairs.
Both are similar in some ways, and very different in other ways.

:up:

Reservoir Dogs is a spiritual remake of City on Fire.

I guess the upcoming "Halloween" could be a spiritual remake. Different stuff happens, and way more characters are added.

These type of remakes are usually most common with foreign films. Such as SevenSamurai and such. Or most recently infernal Affairs.

And while Disturbia took much of its plot from Rear Window, they really are completly different movies.

I'd say it's definately a Remake of Rear Window... At least from the trailer... Person confinded to his house sees a murder across the street... That'd be one :o I don't really like the term spirtiual remake, now that I think about it... :(

Trust me dude, as a huge Rear Window fan, Disturbia was DEFINITELY a "spiritual remake" as you defined the term.

Yes, there are aspects that are the same, but for the most part all they used really was the concept. Nothing else.

Similar to how House of Wax is a "spiritual" remake, and imo actually a better film than the original. The original HOW seemed like just a boring rip-off of the great Universal Monster flicks that it was embarresing to watch, at least for me. Nothing ever happened in it and they severely underused their own concept! The remake was a "dead teenager" (I think that's the correct term) flick rather than monster movie, and imo, used the concept to it's extreme in one of the most memorable and scary torture sequences I've seen in recent years: being made into a living wax statue! :wow:

So if you want to see one of the, imo, biggest departures between original and remake I SERIOUSLY reccomend checking out both the new and original 'House of Wax.' Because NOTHING transfered from original to remake other than the idea, which the original really didn't cover and if it did did it behind the scenes in a very unscary way, of a person being turned into a wax statue. That's it. Oh- and the name... but, extremely different films.

You can also add 'The Fly' to that list as well, I've never seen the original- but from the trailer it looks like a "spiritual" remake as well.

so your saying a reimaging of a concept or idea to be used in a film with a different title is a Spiritual Remake. That is the definition?

Trust me dude, as a huge Rear Window fan, Disturbia was DEFINITELY a "spiritual remake" as you defined the term.

Yes, there are aspects that are the same, but for the most part all they used really was the concept. Nothing else.

Similar to how House of Wax is a "spiritual" remake, and imo actually a better film than the original. The original HOW seemed like just a boring rip-off of the great Universal Monster flicks that it was embarresing to watch, at least for me. Nothing ever happened in it and they severely underused their own concept! The remake was a "dead teenager" (I think that's the correct term) flick rather than monster movie, and imo, used the concept to it's extreme in one of the most memorable and scary torture sequences I've seen in recent years: being made into a living wax statue! :wow:

So if you want to see one of the, imo, biggest departures between original and remake I SERIOUSLY reccomend checking out both the new and original 'House of Wax.' Because NOTHING transfered from original to remake other than the idea, which the original really didn't cover and if it did did it behind the scenes in a very unscary way, of a person being turned into a wax statue. That's it. Oh- and the name... but, extremely different films.

You can also add 'The Fly' to that list as well, I've never seen the original- but from the trailer it looks like a "spiritual" remake as well.

The new House of Wax was a remake of the classic with Vincent Price. The older one your mentioning with the classic horror monsters is called Waxwork. There was even a sequel that was worse than the original, only good thing about it was it had a cool/funny scene with Bruce Campbell.

On another note, I don't think you can include The Fly since it would be classified as just a remake. Aren't spiritualy remakes where someone takes the main idea behind one film and use it for thiers but with totally different characters and more importantly the movie has a different name. If the movie is sharing the same name as the original, then it's just a remake.

A spiritual remake could almost be considered an Omage(sp?) or tribute in a way to an older film it was heavily influenced off of.

The new House of Wax was a remake of the classic with Vincent Price. The older one your mentioning with the classic horror monsters is called Waxwork. There was even a sequel that was worse than the original, only good thing about it was it had a cool/funny scene with Bruce Campbell.

Dude, I saw the original. Not waxwork, but 'House of Wax.' I didn't like it because it seemed to be in the same vein of the other Universal monster films and other black and white horror films of it's time (or did this come after?).

I don't only see Wolfman, Frankenstein and Dracula in there... but, the others to like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for example.

And you, in all honesty, can't tell me that 'House of Wax' with Price is anything like the new 'House of Wax'. One was a more "serious" monster movie, thinking more Jekyll and Hyde type of monster movie- not Wolfman, etc., that seemed from the same era... whereas the new film is NOTHING like the original other than the name and concept.

If you can of anything similar beyond those two things, I'll pay you a million dollars. Lol. :cwink:

Kind of on the fence about 'The Fly', since it could be considered both- kind of like how WOTW could still be considered a remake even though it's a reenvision as well.

But, I know that you can DEFINITELY and WITHOUT A DOUBT add 'House of Wax' to that list. One is more of a "monster" movie in the spirits of Jekyll and Hyde, whereas the new one is a dead teenager film.

House of Wax is DEFINITELY two completely different movies between the remake and the original. As I noted the reasons for above... concept is the same, but the take is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Anyone who has seen the original and remake would know that.

Here's the best feature I could find on the original:

[YT]6rm-mNKMCb0[/YT]

Vs.:

[YT]TCrl7M3FSr8[/YT]

ONLY thing they share is the 1) name, 2) basic concept of wax statues being people.

Dude, I saw the original. Not waxwork, but 'House of Wax.' I didn't like it because it seemed to be in the same vein of the other Universal monster films and other black and white horror films of it's time (or did this come after?).

I don't only see Wolfman, Frankenstein and Dracula in there... but, the others to like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, for example.

And you, in all honesty, can't tell me that 'House of Wax' with Price is anything like the new 'House of Wax'. One was a more "serious" monster movie, thinking more Jekyll and Hyde type of monster movie- not Wolfman, etc., that seemed from the same era... whereas the new film is NOTHING like the original other than the name and concept.

If you can of anything similar beyond those two things, I'll pay you a million dollars. Lol. :cwink:

Kind of on the fence about 'The Fly', since it could be considered both- kind of like how WOTW could still be considered a remake even though it's a reenvision as well.

But, I know that you can DEFINITELY and WITHOUT A DOUBT add 'House of Wax' to that list. One is more of a "monster" movie in the spirits of Jekyll and Hyde, whereas the new one is a dead teenager film.

Sorry, I got confused thinking you were talking about Waxwork. Thanks for clearing that up. As far as the fly goes, well if that constitues as a spiritual remake according to the thread starter, then he doesn't know what he's talking about. The Fly was a straightforward remake like the ones were getting more and more of each day. As far as remake/reenvision, a remake is always a reenvision. Unless your whats his face(can't remember his name) who directed the Psycho remake. Never wasted my time or money on that once I heard the unoriginal bastard mimicked the whole movie shot for shot and angle as the original was.

Well, that's an extreme.... but, look at The Hitcher, The Fog, etc. vs. The Fly.

As I said, I never saw the original the Fly... but the original looked like a different story and everything sharing only a couple of similarities. Half Fly/ Half Man. Thus, probably just a Reenvision.

As I said, never saw the original- so I can't flat out judge it... just seemed like a similar concept, really really different tone and main plot type of difference.

So, there is a line between remake and reenvision- it's a thin one though, but it does exist.

|Extreme reenvision (House of Wax)| Reenvision (Fly, Planet of the Apes, etc.)| Remake (The Fog, The Hitcher)| Carbon Copy Remake (Psycho)|

Extreme Reenvision: Only uses basic concept, possibly name, and NOTHING else.

- House of Wax

Reenvision: Uses basic concept and some key plot points, changes and shifts the tones and other aspects.

- Disturbia
- The Fly
- Planet of the Apes
- War of the Worlds

Remake: Uses basic concept, all/ most of the same characters, most of the same plot points, but still is able to seperate- albiet slightly- from the original source.

- Amityville Horrror
- The Fog
- The Hitcher

Carbon Copy: Make it EXACTLY the same as the original. No difference at all.

- Psycho

You've got a category- in this case "remake" and within that you've got subcategories, in the case of remakes the differentiate it in the degrees to which it resembles the original.

How are they remakes? they were both based on books...

oh...dur. i didn't read the thread carefully. i read the topic "the only remakes that SHOULD be made" so i just posted 2 i think should be remade...

Reenvision and Extreame Reenvision should be the only ones allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"