Review: The Wickerman

Reaction score
Im thinking about seeing this sunday and wanted to know what you guys think, my friend said he liked it.

I might check it out if I have time.

I might watch it, looks pretty cool

It's getting murderlized critically

It deserves much worse.

Is there any way to destroy all copies of this ****ty remake?

im seeing it tommorrow.......

nic cage is awesome

And awesome actors at times appear in crap films

The original is a lot better. I'm almost certain that the remake can never recreate the same amount of creepiness that the original has.

xwolverine2 said:
and crazy people usually make crazy assumptions
Aside from the very small number of remakes that are considered great (Wizard of Oz, Ben Hur, The Maltese Falcon, and in some circles Scarface), all the rest are piss poor. There is no need to see a remake to pass judgment on it.

Nic Cage has made some good movies. However, there is no way he can outperform Edward Woodward in The Wicker Man remake

Ellyn Burstyn. Great actress. She cannot top Christopher Lee in The Wicker Man.

LastSunrise1981 said:
The original is a lot better. I'm almost certain that the remake can never recreate the same amount of creepiness that the original has.

I watched it last night, Nic Cage is pretty good but as a whole, the re-make pales in comparison to the original.

Whilst some things are taken right from the original, most of the concept has been re-imagined for modern times

The Americanisation of the films doesn't help at all, you don't feel the same creepynes when its a small colony outside Washington. The major change is the general tone of the movie.

Whereas the first concentrated on animalistic sexuality and the opposing religeons of the island and the policeman, this film just feels like a feminist camp. There is no nudity in this film, which I feel is necessary and inherent to the original's theme, and makes this one seem somewhat tamer and shallower.

Also, the film does not resolve the opening car accident, involving a little girl which I feel is needlessly inserted just to create some interesting day dream sequences which seem tacked on for cheap frights.

The village where everyone lives seems too manufactured, and looks like a holiday resort as well.

The film also has some (minor) laughs which do well to lighten the tone, butt cannot be forgiven for the cliché of having two ugly blind twins talking in unison acting like something out of Macbeth.

Overall 1.5/5

Its nicely shot and paced, but inconsequentially shallow compared to the original.

Darth Elektra said:
So, who cares?

You asked about reviews i just commented plus when something is universally panned you have to wonder

The BatDude said:
i might see after i see Crank

Why would you do that to yourself? I like action movies just as much as the next guy, but that movie appears to have no plot whatsoever. It seems like they made just to have fun blowing stuff up and pretend to see guys getting hurt.

Future Prez said:
Why would you do that to yourself? I like action movies just as much as the next guy, but that movie appears to have no plot whatsoever. It seems like they made just to have fun blowing stuff up and pretend to see guys getting hurt.
I'll do it because I don't know any better.

this movie was aweful...

it's first: boring,

second: stupid (Nick Cage's character is one of the most moronic cops i've ever seen portrayed in a movie trying to take itself seriously),

and finally near the end: unintentionally hilarious.

and it's not scary, it's not scary, IT'S NOT F#CKING SCARY!

save your money...go see Crank or more importantly SoaP.

Did they keep the original sacrifice intact?

LastSunrise1981 said:
Did they keep the original sacrifice intact?

if, in the original, at the end the cop is being burned alive in a giant wicker man..than yes...and if it was funny in the original, it's full of laughs this time as well

It's funny that there are people that actually spend money on crap

Yeah. So I guess this one's a no-go for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"