Back to the Future part 3...

Reek

_____
Reaction score
Im watching the trilogy today...and im sure this was already asked...but im going cross eyed thinking about it...

Doc goes back to 1885. And the Doc from 1955 sends him back there...therefor the doc form 1955 growing up til 1985 knows marty goes back for him in 1885...we know Doc decides to stay in 1885...so when he dies...does he get reborn in the 1900's and just keep repeating the process from 1955,85 and 1885, is he stuck in a 'time loop' or what...

completely irrelevant but ive been thinking about it all day and itll give us something else to talk about

Im watching the trilogy today...and im sure this was already asked...but im going cross eyed thinking about it...

Doc goes back to 1885. And the Doc from 1955 sends him back there...therefor the doc form 1955 growing up til 1985 knows marty goes back for him in 1885...we know Doc decides to stay in 1885...so when he dies...does he get reborn in the 1900's and just keep repeating the process from 1955,85 and 1885, is he stuck in a 'time loop' or what...

completely irrelevant but ive been thinking about it all day and itll give us something else to talk about

I think you've thought about this harder than the writers did.

i think so too...i was just watching the movies and i got to thinking and ive been clusterf***** ever since.

also, if doc was born in say 1927, and doc from 1885 is still alive, could he witness his own birth.

damn you steven spielberg.

also, if doc was born in say 1927, and doc from 1885 is still alive, could he witness his own birth.

damn you steven spielberg.

Be funnier if Clara Clayton gave Birth to him :p what a loop that would be :D

Be funnier if Clara Clayton gave Birth to him :p what a loop that would be :D

that comment alone just ruined my life... i need beer...lots of beer. perhaps i can forget i even got to thinking...

Its miller time.

Even this can not stop this trilogy to be one of the greatest in cinema history. Well, american at least ;-)

As far as I understand it, Dr. Emmett Brown was born sometimes in the 1920s, because he describes his father "changing our name before the first World War". By the end of the trilogy, his present-day (1985) self had ultimately wound up in 1885, and lived there for about ten years or so (taking his sons' ages into account). This would make it 1895.

However, he then travels to the present day to reunite with Marty at the end of "Part III", and then flies off for places and times unknown. The animated series states that he and his family moved the 1980s Hill Valley, although the relevancy of that series is under dispute by the fans. If you count that as true, then Doc Brown would (chronologically) be around 75 years old by the end of "Part III", although he also mentions that his "all-natural overhaul" in 2015 added "a good 30 or 40 years" to his life. Subtract 10 for the time he spent in the West, and he'd live to be 105 (75 + 40 - 10).

To sum it all up, he probably could go back and witness his own birth, but doesn't in order to preserve the safety of his own future. I mean, Marty screwed up his entire existence by pushing George away from a car; who's to say what the effect would be if he went to see himself be born? Things like this (as conviluted as they may be) are precisely why Doc warned Marty against interacting with his "other self" or his kids in "Part II".

I love these movies!

exactly. BTTF 3 breaks it's own rules. The BTTF timeline, like the terminator is a linear based one.

if the doc from 1985 goes back to 1885 and dies, then the 1955 Doc would not have been born.

Just forget about it. Plus the doc builds a time machine that runs on steam?! its a family movie, so it doesnt matter.

that said, I think the hover boards pre-empted magnetic trains.

exactly. BTTF 3 breaks it's own rules. The BTTF timeline, like the terminator is a linear based one.

if the doc from 1985 goes back to 1885 and dies, then the 1955 Doc would not have been born.

Just forget about it. Plus the doc builds a time machine that runs on steam?! its a family movie, so it doesnt matter.

that said, I think the hover boards pre-empted magnetic trains.

I know you said to forget about it but that doesnt make any sense if the 1985 doc goes to 1885 and dies that means he still has a good 20-30 years to even be born so technically the 1985 doc that went back to 1885 could die and the 55 doc could still be born but he would not live in the 85 dimension that marty lives in.

i guess doc would be stuck in a time loop...

Yes he would.

prove it! can you prove it?! didnt think so.

theres no "set" guidlines in the BTTF movies, okay so youre taking into account the parallel realities, but on the base of it, it's a paradox.

If Docs FUTURE is to go INTO THE PAST and DIE......................

then how would 55 Doc exist to prevent it in the first place? especially considering the alternate 55 doc only exists due to the actions of 85 doc. 85 doc wont exist, because he will die in 1885 - meaning no alternate timeline because biff never gets the book

once i finish all my nonsense for today, i will work on a BTTF timeline that will prove that Doc will be born again.

I don't even know what to make of this. It makes my brain hurt.

I think that at the moment that the delorean was struck by lightning, at that point, if following the logic of bttf I, doc's corpse and tombstone would steadily appear at the graveyard in bttf III.
And this tombstone changes several times throughout the movie. It becomes Marty's corpse at one point, and then disappears altogether.

I don't understand what would keep doc from being born.

ooooh. i totally misread your argument. i think Doc and his family probably live outside the tiemstream, similar to rip hunter. but it seems pretty irresponcible for Doc to be having children from different eras.

Jimmylace, I don't think you have a very good handle on time travel. And please, take no offense at this, because it's nonsense science fiction. However, that will not stop me from droppin' some irrelevant knowledge on ya. :yay:

You erroneously state that if Doc's future dies in the past, then the Doc in the middle can't exist. This is wrong, ironically, for the same reason you gave as evidence for your theory -- time in BTTF is linear.

Therefore, if Doc Brown is born in say, 1920, grows up to be 35 in 1955 where he first meets Marty (such as the timeline is left at the end of part 3), then matures to the age of 65 thirty years later, then travels back in time to 1885, then it's his 65 year old self from 1985 that would die in the past. Unless something happened to interrupt the events surrounding his own conception and birth (as is the case with Marty in part 1), then he would still be born in the 20's and grow old in the 80's and travel back to the Old West. His role in Earth's timeline would continue in a linear fashion unless something interfered with it between the years of 1920 and 1985.

So to answer the original question, no, hobgob11, there is no 'loop,' per se. A loop indicates that the end winds up at the start again. But Doc's life is just a linear as anyone else's. It begins at birth and ends at death. However, due to his time-hopping lifestyle, he happens to die in an era that precedes his birth -- at least temporarily. This has no repercussions on his birth and life, it's simply the strange result of physically transplanting himself from one point in time to another.

What's weird is that Doc Brown lives for thirty years with the knowledge that he will time-travel and wind up in the Old West. Really, you've got to give credit to a guy that can act so surprised by everything, when really he's got to be the most bored guy on the planet -- he knows the second half of his life before he's lived it! :woot:

And yes, I love time-travel fiction and these movies.

-- END!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"