Rogue One Rey or Jyn Erso? Who's your favorite?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
Star-Wars-Rey-Jyn-banner.jpg

Unless my memory is bad, it's somewhat unprecedented in Star Wars history for the franchise to deliver us not one, but TWO well received Female Protagonists within a generation.

So now that "Rogue One" has finally been released, who would you guys say is your favorite Female Protagonist between Rey & Jyn Erso?

I am just glad that they are both part of the story.

Jyn, but only because I'm fickle. I wouldn't kick either one of them out of a galaxy far far away a long time ago....or even more recently.

The British one who's a brunette :o

Man, that's a tough one. Both are fantastic characters!

Going to take a bit to think about it.

Rey. Come on, is it even a contest? She can use the Force.

Jyn is hotter, but I like Rey's character and story much, much better.

Love them both, but Rey is my girl. On my character list, she is only behind Luke and Vader. But like I said I love them both, and they both stand fittingly next to Luke as great Star Wars main characters. :yay:

tumblr_og8tfk59ku1ty4yffo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohkcu4LBdK1v0owm7o1_1280.jpg

Rey, without a doubt. I did like both, and I absolutely love Star Wars having female protagonists, even if meninist tears make the whole thing even more enjoyable.

Tough call and it is probably biased from seeing Rogue One more recently but Jyn Erso. They both have similar backgrounds and stories (orphaned from war, grew up rough, learned to survive on their own, resilient but not jaded by the experience) and both know how to react and show emotion.

Jyn does not have the advantage of the Force either so I give her a slight edge for that.

I'll take Jyn because she's a character you can't peg into a particular slot while Rey is too much of the generic "good guy" very much in the same way Luke was which is why I always gravitated to Han more. I want to know more and see what Jyns life was like before we met her and I know it was probably really messed up while I'm not as interested in Rey's.

Rey because we know more about her. If I knew more of Jyn's story, she could be my favorite.

They are both terrible main characters but if i had to choose i'd choose Jyn because she isn't as perfect as Rey aka the walking plot device.

Love them both, but Rey is my girl. On my character list, she is only behind Luke and Vader. But like I said I love them both, and they both stand fittingly next to Luke as great Star Wars main characters. :yay:

tumblr_og8tfk59ku1ty4yffo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ohkcu4LBdK1v0owm7o1_1280.jpg

What Darth said. Rey is just such a wonderful character. However, I am one of the few who always liked Luke more than Han.

Rey and it's not even close. Rey is a fully written character and an actress who is able to convey sympathy for that character. Her relationship with the other characters in the film is organic, and the bond that her and Finn form is genuine through the events of the film. Jyn is a poorly written character with an actress that is just boring to watch, and her relations with other characters in the film is forced and unnatural.

Rey. Jyn was dull and inconsistent.

Rey all the way! I actually care about that girl and I can't wait to learn more about her. Jyn, on the other hand... calling her a "character" might be a bit too generous. :o

Jyn, because even though I like Rey and we get to know her better, and as much as I like TFA, I just still don't like how Rey just catches onto the force and uses it like she does. Jyn feels more real to me.

Yeah I want to see her training with Saw and see all the things she had to do to survive in that element as well as when she was on her own up to the point we met her. You can tell she was a rebellious badass, pun intended.

Rey, easily. Jyn wasn't all that memorable to me, to be honest.

Rey is already a lot more developed than Jyn and we don't even know her fully backstory yet. Jyn worked by and large but the characterization was thin.

Jyn, because even though I like Rey and we get to know her better, and as much as I like TFA, I just still don't like how Rey just catches onto the force and uses it like she does. Jyn feels more real to me.

I've never understood that complaint. The Force is not something that one learns how to use via an instruction manual. It is free flowing and mysterious it always has been. It's not like an RPG where one gains experience and learns more about it necessarily. Kind of like with basketball I had to learn how to shoot and have lots teach me how to become better, but I had friends that just picked up on it naturally and had no one do it and they were better than me.

Actually it's interesting to see how she learns, Rey is self-sufficient, that is her entire character, unlike Luke or anyone else she's a loner a survivor she has to learn how to do things on her own or it's death. Where technically even Anakin and Luke lived much more sheltered lives than that. Rey picks up on things quickly. And actually it's quite a long scene where she learns how to use the Jedi Mind trick. Because Ren is using it on her she slowly (with wonderful acting I might add) starts to mimic what he's doing, just as much as if someone picked up a basket ball and started to shoot it, and someone that has never seen a basketball before but may be athletically endowed (like my buddy) just starts to do it too but even better.

Rey mimics what Ren is doing and then tries it on a weaker individual then Ren. She's naturally endowed with the Force as the Luke an Anakin before them, but she gets to use it in more of a tangible way. She learns by doing while Luke who knows how he learned how to use it in Empire? I mean he force pulled a lightsaber and there was no one around or I'm sure any Jedi instruction books on how to do it. Using the Force I'm sure is not like step one crook your fingers this way etc. To quote Han "That's not how the Force works!!!"

Rey is self-sufficient and that's the entire point of her character. She's far from perfect though, she actually is more cowardly then Luke and continues to reject the call of the gods until the very end of the film. She's mind raped, beat to crap bangs up the Falcon something good running into everything. Stumbling all over the place when she fights Ren at the end.

But I just don't see the Force as some RPG where one has to spend a certain amount of time with it. I mean even Luke blocks the lasers with the lightsaber in like what 5 seconds of training? It's just never the way the Force has ever worked and it's no different with Rey. She is a fast learner she has to be, and she learned some of these things by others doing them to her or in front of her. That's how she learns. Of course she will need much more serious training as time goes on but like in real life some people are just faster learners, so in some ways Rey is much more flawed, and in others much better than Luke or Anakin.

So on the topic I love both of the characters but I will say Rey, she feels much more fleshed out and just a special character all around. Someone I think destined to become iconic herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"