Richard Parker fight from Amazing Spider Man 2 versus Jor-El fight from Man of Steel

Only remember Jor El getting stabbed, don't recall the fight. The Richard Parker one being in the air and trying to send the details was more memorable so voted that.

I didn't even remember the Richard Parker fight until you mentioned that. I see no contest actually and narratively Jor-el all the way.

If i felt like trolling i would post a poll about the train station in ASM2 versus that in Matrix Revolutions.

You mean that lame scene where Peter found his dad's secret train lab?

I don't like Man of Steel and I really don't like Amazing Spider-Man 2, but I pick Jor-El fight because it was better than boring Richard Parker fight.

If i felt like trolling i would post a poll about the train station in ASM2 versus that in Matrix Revolutions.

LOL !

Not really comparable, but both not particularly great examples of a plot device for exposition purposes - or at least that's how it seemed to me, and I'm no expert on film or narrative elements.

In general, ASM 2 is Shakespeare compared to Matrix Revolutions, the most unsatisfying end to a trilogy ever !

Weird how it seems to be really hard to end trilogies well. Other than Lord of the Rings:ROTK and the Bourne Ultimatum (now THAT is how you end a trilogy) it seems like even the good 3rd episodes never live up to the promise of the first two (yes TDKR I'm talking 'bout you).

Now there's a thread idea (although I'm sure someone's done it already).

Cheers.

The Jor-el scene, along with the whole Krypton sequence, is one of my favorite openings to a superhero film ever, so I voted that. My favorite is either that, or the raid on Hydra that starts Age of Ultron.

Zod is shown to be utterly incompetent in every important aspect on Krypton and his fight with Jor-El is one of those key moments. I don't remember the Richard Parker fight as a really harmful scene for the movie so that wins by default, although me not remembering much of it indicates that I didn't feel that it added anything either.

I think Marc Web did a great job building tension in the Richard Parker fight, but considering the big reveal for that whole sequence wound up being leaving a good bye message for Peter, it loses serious points. It was a well shot scene, and such a phyrric victory for both sides of the conflict would make a great ending to a whole movie, as a prologue it fails because it adds nothing to the actual story.

MOS's Jor-El v Zod fight set up themes and conflict for the rest of the film, and had a better ending in my opinion. Now, to argue with you guys who say there was no reason for the Jor-El fight, here's my counter-argument:

Joe-El wining the fight but dying at the end of the scene serves the two major purposes of reinforcing the reasoning behind Krypton having no evacuation and imprisoning Zod and Co. in its final moments, and supporting the claim Jor-El makes that their culture is effectively broken. For the former, Jor-El was having trouble getting the Council to understand him, and his death and Zod's rebellion put enough of a kabosh on his prediction of their end that the Council simply ignores him.

The latter is a point I think is often forgotten; Kryton's the prettiest, most well-organized failed state in history, and their entire genetic engineering plan has lead to guys who have some skills in their assigned area, but no adaptability and surprisingly huge flaws in their operation. The ruling Council commits planetary suicide, and can't do anything actually impressive with their leadership. The Sapphire guard stares at interlopers and gets shot instead of moving to defend their charges, and shows more competence at attacking Zod later then anything else. And the military is an inflexible and stubborn force that keeps losing.

Zod can't think of any answer that doesn't involve violence, intimidation, and immediate action. Faora brags about her evolutionary advantage when, in fact, Superman has that advantage and immediately starts beating her. And the entire group is outfought or outmanuvered by a scientist and mongrel refugee.

Though tying into Jor-El's skills, I like to think that means that at some point in the backstory for MOS, there was this moment.

Jor-El: "Alright, Lara, we must draw up an itinerary of goals to ensure our child's survival through our child."

Lara: "Correct. Item One; build a ship capable of inter-dimensional travel. Item Two; build a mode of inter dimensional travel."

Jor-El: "Item Three; discover a planet suitable for Kryptonians habitation by a young helpless child."

Lara: "Item Four; mother must learn the correct dietary habits and practices for healthy birth, father must learn how to protect young via Kryptonian Krav Maga-"

Jor-El: "-and pimped out boss suit of ass kicking! In Gold!"

Lara (rolls her eyes): "Very well, and Item Five..."

Jor-El: "Item Five?"

Lara (coughs): "...Sexual reproduction."

Awkward silence.

I was laughing through the whole Richard Parker sequence.

I found both quite unimpressive but at least with Jor-El we had some nice music leading up to it soooo....what the hell, I'll give it to that one.

Jor el should not have been able to beat Zod. Plain and Simple. A genetically bred soldier getting his ass whooped by a scientist? Yeah no lol

Which isn't that unrealistic for a Superman movie, given that even in our world someone with better genetics for combat can be beaten by someone genetically inferior. It's just a fact of life and it happens quite often.

It's also very common for villains to underperform. They usually end up not being as good as they think they are. Bad judgement, arrogance and rage can also lead to mistakes in combat. That's a big problem with villains. They're usually full of themselves. Again, nothing unrealistic about that either. It happens in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"