Robert Pattinson IS The Batman

I separate BvS Batfleck and Justice League Batfleck, cause the performances are just that different. He really came off as visibly checked out in JL.

As for the 'injustice' of Affleck not finishing his story...well, so far actually finishing a live action Batman story is the exception, not the norm. It's only happened once. So Affleck sits right alongside Keaton, Kilmer and Clooney in that sense. The thing with Affleck is I think a lot of fans had anointed him the Most. Comic Book Accurate Batman. Ever.™ before seeing a frame of the film, so it stings a bit more. He definitely could have been a great Batman given the right circumstances, but again...same goes for Kilmer and Clooney.

IMO another big issue that doesn't get talked about was how they simply rebooted the character too soon. Affleck's is the one version of the character I honestly feel like I'd be okay with if it was just deleted from existence. It just felt like a double slap in the face that only one year after Rises and months after Man of Steel to learn that we would be diverting from doing a proper Superman trilogy AND that we're getting a brand new Batman, while many people were still barely done digesting the previous incarnation and weren't asking for a new version right away. It was difficult for a lot of people to overcome that initial cynicism about the project, and throw in Snyder's highly divisive vision for these characters and it was just a perfect storm for pop culture to eviscerate it. The sad thing is I think the whole experience was really tough on Affleck. I don't want to speculate too much about his personal life, but given what he's gone through in his career, it couldn't have been easy on him. I think he went in with all the right intentions-- he was a fan that wanted to do right by the character and was honored to get to be a part of that legacy. We can't blame him for saying yes to a once in a lifetime opportunity like that, but sadly I think he knew all too well what the risks were and decided to roll the dice. But hey, I'm sure for the rest of his life he'll have fans walking up to him and telling him he was their favorite Batman, so he can take some comfort in that. And now he can go back to being a fan, himself.

I remember watching ER back in the day when Clooney was playing Doug Ross in it, and the first time I saw him on screen (having not been familiar with him before at all) it immediately struck me that he really, really envisaged how I would picture Bruce Wayne if he walked off the pages of the Batman comics I had grew up with - kinda masculine, 50s Hollywood leading man look as drawn by the likes of Neal Adams and Don Newton. And I started finding out more about him as an actor and hoping he might get a shot at the role some day.

090311clooney1.jpg

He's a good actor, it's just a shame that he ended up in the Schumacher crap-fest that was Batman & Robin, completely decimated his chances of ever doing a serious take on Batman and also left a fairly big stain on his resume. At least he laughs about it now!

I genuinely love Clooney's scenes with Alfred and the speech he delivers to Freeze at the end is quite good.

Affleck just didn't make as much of an impact on the character as his supporters would lead you to believe (and I liked him overall). The characterization was off, the performances across both films were inconsistent and his arc was limited to 'I'm a ****' and 'Now I'm not a ****'. Take away his size and ''comic accurate'' BvS costume and you're not left with an awful lot.

A nice guy, with the best of intentions, shackled with Snyder's misguided vision. A decent, but forgettable Batman.

Let's hope Pattinson has a better chance.

6 Angry Reactions to the Casting of Michael Keaton as Batman

I absolutely can't wrap my head around the people that LOVE Michael Keaton as Batman but refuse to give Pattinson a chance. It's like they don't realize the big irony there.

That requires self-awareness, a willingness to examine *why* you feel a given way. Which, given that the hatred of Twilight and everything associated with it is tied up with some nasty undercurrents of misogyny in geek culture. . .

That requires self-awareness, a willingness to examine *why* you feel a given way. Which, given that the hatred of Twilight and everything associated with it is tied up with some nasty undercurrents of misogyny in geek culture. . .

Sad... but very true. Twilight is a fantasy genre narrative that is not aimed at young men. Certain subsections of that particular demographic really didn't like that. They basically got all bent out of shape because someone dared to do a genre movie that objectified the male stars as much as the female. These are the same people that got all hot under the collar about Captain Marvel... because, again, it wasn't really aimed at them.

It's all kinds of pathetic.

I genuinely love Clooney's scenes with Alfred and the speech he delivers to Freeze at the end is quite good.

Affleck just didn't make as much of an impact on the character as his supporters would lead you to believe (and I liked him overall). The characterization was off, the performances across both films were inconsistent and his arc was limited to 'I'm a ****' and 'Now I'm not a ****'. Take away his size and ''comic accurate'' BvS costume and you're not left with an awful lot.

A nice guy, with the best of intentions, shackled with Snyder's misguided vision. A decent, but forgettable Batman.

Let's hope Pattinson has a better chance.
I always believed that performance is far more reliant on writing and directing. Only a handful of actors can make any line of dialog work or at the very least mitigate how terrible it can be. Also a director has to keep the entire vision in check and at the end of each take gives a thumbs up or thumbs down. So when I see a bad performance I just think of a director, sitting there, watching the playback and saying "we got it, moving on" as such actors really have to trust directors that the film is on track.

George Clooney did a good job, of what was asked of him. The movie was not written to be a dark take on Batman and Clooney is really good at that typical and generic leading man protagonist. So his performance was spot on, as is the rest of the cast. The thing was, the audience did not want a campy Batman movie. The failure was not from the actor's ability or range, but of writing and directing.

I absolutely can't wrap my head around the people that LOVE Michael Keaton as Batman but refuse to give Pattinson a chance. It's like they don't realize the big irony there.
You have to remember that most people who are upset, probably weren't born when that casting was announced and more likely weren't aware of the outrage to begin with. I'm in my 30's and first saw that film with I was 4 or 5 on VHS. I was surprised to learn that Keaton was known as a comedian because that film was my only point of reference for him growing up.

People's reaction can only be based on what they know prior, unfortunately Patterson hasn't had any mainstream hits that most people are aware of aside from Twilight which understandably leaves a lingering stink around it. I've always operated on the idea of given an actor the chance to do better and very rarely have I ever out right hated a casting choice. It is annoying to see people offer other casting ideas and you can see they're all usually based on actors who've had similar roles to base on. Sometimes we have to trust they nailed the audition that we'll never see until after the film comes out.

The only two times I outright hated a casting choice that I can think of is Affleck and Eisenberg for BvS. Affleck because I just think he's a terrible actor and I base that on dozens of his previous films and Eisenberg not because of his ability as an actor but of the direction the casting suggested it was going. Turns out I was right at least in my opinion. But every other casting I can think of I just always thought it was either a good choice or "give them a chance"

After watching Pattinson in Water for the Elephants, I gotta say, that's probably the best Pattinson has ever looked in a film:

430663_lg1.jpg
Xy5I.gif
new-trailer-GIFs-water-for-elephants-19930069-500-213.gif

Wouldn't mind if he looked like this for Batman, although of course with darker brown hair.

Although of course, a hairstyle longer and messier could still work
robert-pattinson-reese-witherspoon-water-for-elephants-premiere-06.jpg

I wonder what the modern equivalent of casting Michael Keaton would be. A guy mostly known for comedies but w a few under-the-radar dramatic credits, w an interesting face but overall "wrong" look. Maybe Bill Hader, hehe.

Why would someone assume that he'd come out like Keaton did? We have hindsight with him. We don't with Pattinson. If I were to give a response, as someone whose not really pro or against either way, I think his face doesn't work for me. It doesn't seem aesthetically pleasing to me. I don't know if I'd want to watch a whole movie I'm supposed to take seriously with his face as that for this.
Why would that be the case? It seemingly wasn't for Affleck or Keaton, or Eisenberg. Why would it be for Pattinson? Isn't it also as likely that some people don't care what he's done inbetween and care that he was in a movie that wasn't good, based on a book that wasn't good? Same as Affleck was in Daredevil, Keaton was mainly a comedy guy, etc.?
Sad... but very true. Twilight is a fantasy genre narrative that is not aimed at young men. Certain subsections of that particular demographic really didn't like that. They basically got all bent out of shape because someone dared to do a genre movie that objectified the male stars as much as the female. These are the same people that got all hot under the collar about Captain Marvel... because, again, it wasn't really aimed at them.

It's all kinds of pathetic.
i think it could also for the same reasons I stated above. Why would it be sexism, when some would argue that material is sexist against women? Why would they take issue with that when most people are fine with many men being objectified in the MCU, the same as, if not more than the women? I think it's not appropriate to claim that that's true. Someone doesn't have to be sexist to do those things. Just like someone can be what would be described as probably kinda racist and want to watch Black Panther and walk out saying they agreed with Killmonger. Ask my mom.

Last edited:
The Rover came out on one of the HBO channels and i watched it again ,
The last minutes got me ****** even worse this time
giphy.gif

RP is so good here, I love his Rey

Last edited:
Eh, Affleck talking his one percent speech, him running into the demolished buildings, his speech about his legacy, his talk about Superman being more human than he could ever be, I felt all that. I mean, I found myself rooting against Bale in some scenes with Heath. Lol But I still believe Bale never got to that sweet spot that was BB performance for me.

Eh, Affleck talking his one percent speech, him running into the demolished buildings, his speech about his legacy, his talk about Superman being more human than he could ever be, I felt all that. I mean, I found myself rooting against Bale in some scenes with Heath. Lol But I still believe Bale never got to that sweet spot that was BB performance for me.
To be fair, Ledger was a maelstrom of charisma and gravitas in TDK. He swallowed up just about everybody in his path.

To be fair, Ledger was a maelstrom of charisma and gravitas in TDK. He swallowed up just about everybody in his path.

Yup. Bale got worse in my view after BB. Physically and performance wise. BB suit and growl were on the damn money, but Nolan needed new hockey pads and a wider opening for his chin and surprised look to being stabbed. Lol

Last edited:
I wonder what the modern equivalent of casting Michael Keaton would be. A guy mostly known for comedies but w a few under-the-radar dramatic credits, w an interesting face but overall "wrong" look. Maybe Bill Hader, hehe.

Jonah Hill :gngl:

Bill Hader's probably spot-on for that. He's even got that "naturally a bit creepy" vibe Keaton had, lol.

Everytime I look at a picture of Pattinson, I feel like they're going to lean heavily on the "dark and weird" with this Bruce/Batman and that's...not a bad thing.

Hader would be good for sure.

And then there’s Jake Johnson...

^ I'd add Charlie Day as an actor along those lines too. Unfortunately none of these guys (Hader, Johnson, or Day) are quite young enough to play Batman. Maybe a villain? I could maybe see Charlie Day as Riddler, Scarecrow, or possibly Joker even.

Also John Krasinski and Josh Radnor. Now that I think about it, although Krasinki is a bit old for the role now, he could've been an interesting pick when he was younger. Anyone who's seen either A Quiet Place or Jack Ryan will know the dude has dramatic acting chops.

Last edited:
Burton didn't care about age when he was making his Batman. In the hypothetical scenario/alternate reality of Burton making his Batman movie today Hader,Jake Johnson and Day would be on his shortlist most likely. Probably Bill Skarsgard and Benedict Cumberbatch as well as Burton is a fan of those crazy looks on actors.

BIll Hader is so good in Barry.

Actually, if not for Pattinson, I might've been able to get on board with John Krasinki as a slightly older Batman in an alternate scenario. I don't think he might've worked when he was younger as I mentioned on the previous page, I'd say the older he's gotten the better he's looked for the role. Photo from last year:

Or since the dude is naturally charismatic & friendly, I could definitely see him as Superman instead of Batman....

11-john-krasinski.w330.h330.jpg

Last edited:
Take the beard off him and he looks goofy as hell. He wouldn't have been a good traditional Bruce Wayne, but in that alternate "Batman 1989 in 2019" reality he probably would've been on Burton's shortlist.

Actually, if not for Pattinson, I might've been able to get on board with John Krasinki as a slightly older Batman in an alternate scenario. I don't think he might've worked when he was younger as I mentioned on the previous page, I'd say the older he's gotten the better he's looked for the role. Photo from last year:

Or since the dude is naturally charismatic & friendly, I could definitely see him as Superman instead of Batman....

11-john-krasinski.w330.h330.jpg

Nah, I still think Krasinski would be a far stronger pick to play Superman. Granted, that almost certainly will never happen at this point since we'll probably be waiting a good three to five years before we see the Man of Steel on the big screen again at least and WB will want to cast on the younger side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"