Rogue One Rogue One: RT Watch Thread

Europeans are so generous.

We are the snobs when assessing blockbuster movies now, I'm afraid.

I'm very happy to see Rogue One getting a positive response so far. I mean I am damn relieved. Now I just want it to deliver. Hopefully it's not just a standard film that's well done but truly a great one and proves me wrong in my major concerns. I'm still not excited, and I still have some major fears, but if it's at least impressive where I can feel something for the story and characters then that's better and I can at least start there. Baby steps.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I'm very happy to see Rogue One getting a positive response so far. I mean I am damn relieved. Now I just want it to deliver. Hopefully it's not just a standard film that's well done but truly a great one and proves me wrong in my major concerns. I'm still not excited, and I still have some major fears, but if it's at least impressive where I can feel something for the story and characters then that's better and I can at least start there. Baby steps.

I'm starting to think that maybe Star Wars just is not the franchise for you. Maybe should move on, save yourself the trouble.

Things apparently get very dark in the third act.

The only thing Rogue One is good for is as a stick to be beat TFA with. :hehe:

I'm starting to think that maybe Star Wars just is not the franchise for you. Maybe should move on, save yourself the trouble.

I'll move on when if Ep. 8 is more of the same, but until now you're stuck with me. If you can't handle someone being critical and questioning Star Wars in a Star Wars thread, then too bad.

I see critics even saying this might be the best SW yet. Everyone says that! I'm glad this isn't a dumpster fire and it's at least good, but I'm still feeling we're going to get a solid SW film that doesn't do much more. I won't be convinced until I see the movie to prove me wrong. I'm not going to blame myself that it has to be a lot to do that. But if it does, I'll be more than happy to embrace it.

I'll move on when if Ep. 8 is more of the same, but until now you're stuck with me. If you can't handle someone being critical and questioning Star Wars in a Star Wars thread, then too bad.

I see critics even saying this might be the best SW yet. Everyone says that! I'm glad this isn't a dumpster fire and it's at least good, but I'm still feeling we're going to get a solid SW film that doesn't do much more. I won't be convinced until I see the movie to prove me wrong. I'm not going to blame myself that it has to be a lot to do that. But if it does, I'll be more than happy to embrace it.

:ninja:

I disliked TFA pretty strongly, but I feel pretty good about Rogue One so far. For me, the fact that this isn't a Saga film means as long as it isn't a crap movie, I'll probably be happy. I can hold the Anthology films to a different standard because I can take what I want and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar.

The problem I have with TFA isn't the overall quality of the movie, but that I think it's a crap addition to the Saga. And unnecessary. Now even if Episode VIII is great, I'll still be pissed because I can't buy that one on blu-ray without buying TFA first (one does not simply skip a Saga film) so if Episode VIII is crap or if it's great, I'm guaranteed to be cross. I'll not be buying any more saga films on blu-ray. Six is enough.

But Anthology films... I can deal with that the way I do Rebels or whatever. If it's good I'll enjoy it, if I want to buy it I can... but even if it were bad it wouldn't cheapen the saga. TFA did cheapen the saga.

By all accounts, Rogue One actually adds to it without even being a saga film. I like that George Lucas called Gareth Edwards and told him he loved Rogue One. George didn't like TFA any better than I did, and I doubt he'd have called Gareth at all if he thought Rogue One was pants. I know Tio Jorge's opinion doesn't count by much for some of you, but even if he's lost his touch as a filmmaker, he's still the father of Star Wars, and in my book that matters.

Lucas is probably still upset that JJ made a Star Wars film better then everyone he directed bar one. :hehe:

Lucas is probably still upset that JJ made a Star Wars film better then everyone he directed bar one. :hehe:

Heh. :)

I don't know. Lucas's prequels were full of missteps and pretty poorly paced, but they had soul. TFA just feels empty. It's a better movie on a technical level, but it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

I don't know. Lucas's prequels were full of missteps and pretty poorly paced, but they had soul. TFA just feels empty. It's a better movie on a technical level, but it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Here's some soul for ya. Vader's deepest darkest secret :o

tumblr_o6set1Wc781vnke1no1_500.jpg

If there was clearly anything the prequels was missing, it was the soul, characters and heart of the OT. It was as artificial as it comes, and that is what happens when you write a series of films on the run. TFA brought back those things in spades. Rey, BB-8 and Finn are as lovable as they come, and Han was probably his best self.

I have seen, read and played a lot of Star Wars. TFA sits perfectly next to "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" for me, and it seems for the vast majority of fans and audiences. If Rogue One does that as well, that means Disney is doing exactly what I wanted them to. Make great Star Wars movies again.

Last edited:

I disagree 110%, but this is neither the time nor the place, suffice to say the prequels are the most soulless trilogy of movies I've ever seen, right next to the Hobbit trilogy.

Last edited:
Never saw the hobbit trilogy.
It didn't draw me in.
It didn't feel like there was any emotion there.

TFA had more heart and soul in that hug between Rey and Finn than the entirety of the PT.

If there was clearly anything the prequels was missing, it was the soul, characters and heart of the OT. It was as artificial as it comes, and that is what happens when you write a series of films on the run. TFA brought back those things in spades. Rey, BB-8 and Finn are as lovable as they come, and Han was probably his best self.

I have seen, read and played a lot of Star Wars. TFA sits perfectly next to "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" for me, and it seems for the vast majority of fans and audiences.

giphy.gif

I have seen, read and played a lot of Star Wars. TFA sits perfectly next to "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" for me, and it seems for the vast majority of fans and audiences. If Rogue One does that as well, that means Disney is doing exactly what I wanted them to. Make great Star Wars movies again.

I have a response to that, but I don't want to pull this thread hopelessly off-topic so I will simply link you to the blog post I did about it a while back.

:ninja:

I disliked TFA pretty strongly, but I feel pretty good about Rogue One so far. For me, the fact that this isn't a Saga film means as long as it isn't a crap movie, I'll probably be happy. I can hold the Anthology films to a different standard because I can take what I want and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar.

The problem I have with TFA isn't the overall quality of the movie, but that I think it's a crap addition to the Saga. And unnecessary. Now even if Episode VIII is great, I'll still be pissed because I can't buy that one on blu-ray without buying TFA first (one does not simply skip a Saga film) so if Episode VIII is crap or if it's great, I'm guaranteed to be cross. I'll not be buying any more saga films on blu-ray. Six is enough.

But Anthology films... I can deal with that the way I do Rebels or whatever. If it's good I'll enjoy it, if I want to buy it I can... but even if it were bad it wouldn't cheapen the saga. TFA did cheapen the saga.

By all accounts, Rogue One actually adds to it without even being a saga film. I like that George Lucas called Gareth Edwards and told him he loved Rogue One. George didn't like TFA any better than I did, and I doubt he'd have called Gareth at all if he thought Rogue One was pants. I know Tio Jorge's opinion doesn't count by much for some of you, but even if he's lost his touch as a filmmaker, he's still the father of Star Wars, and in my book that matters.

I'd love if I like Rogue One better, and I did like TFA a lot (I love it in fact, because it's SW, like I love the prequels despite them not being good) and I still think new SW can do amazing things. The opportunity is still there, it's just not much is giving me hope that it can in the foreseeable future apart from Johnson.

Lucas doesn't like how Disney is turning the SW movies into movies for the fans. And I totally agree. They're giving us what we already love without thinking what made SW great in the first place. When that original film came out, there was unlimited possibilities for the sequels. Then ESB came out and they went in that direction which was brilliant and it became a staple, but we've seemed to be too hung up on that and not try to find the next new thing. I just want them to treat these movies like there's never been a second SW movie before and see the total uncharted territory. But if we're just gonna get the same timeline dealing with the same characters in and out then it's been a damn waste.

I want to see a movie that takes place hundreds or thousands of years later. New characters, new worlds, new storytelling ideas. There's 36 other stories out there. Not just the hero's journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"