Roland Emmerich to direct Asimov's 'Foundation'

biolumen

The End
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds this news very, very depressing? Considering my fondness for both 'Foundation' and Proyas, I think it's outrageous.

Roland Emmerich finds 'Foundation'
Columbia wins auction for Asimov's sci-fi trilogy

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Columbia won an auction late Thursday for screen rights to "Foundation," Isaac Asimov's ground breaking science fiction trilogy. The film will be developed as a directing vehicle for Roland Emmerich.

Emmerich and his Centropolis partner Michael Wimer will produce the film. The deal was mid six-figures against low seven figures.

Originally published as a series of eight short stories in Astounding Magazine beginning in 1942, "Foundation" is a complex saga about humans who are scattered on planets throughout the galaxy, living under the rule of the Galactic Empire.

A psycho-historian who can scientifically read the future sees an imminent empire collapse, and sets to work preparing to save the knowledge of mankind.

The emergence of Sony and Emmerich at the controls of "Foundation" is a surprise development, and one that owes at least a bit to the animosity between Warner Bros. and Fox over "Watchmen."

The property, originally developed by Fox and producer Vince Gerardis, found its way to New Line, and then to Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne as the first major project announcement after the former heads of New Line formed Unique Pictures at WB.

Gerardis, whose Created By formerly repped the Asimov estate and who is producing an adaptation of Asimov's "The End of Eternity" at New Regency, was attached as producer. And Fox would have had to be compensated for its development costs. That became a problem for WB, and the studio allowed its option to lapse, expecting to quietly make a new deal with a clear chain of rights that would have left Fox and Gerardis on the outside.

It turned into a spirited auction. WB bid for Unique and director Alex Proyas, Fox bid for Gerardis. Emmerich and Sony were the surprise entrants. Turns out that Wimer had been tracking the availability of the rights since he was Emmerich's agent at CAA, and Columbia Pictures president Matt Tolmach pounced. Emmerich and Wimer just completed "2012" at Sony.

CAA and Trident Media's Dan Strone brokered the deal on behalf of the Asimov estate.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117998687.html?categoryId=13&cs=1

Dammit to hell, WB and Alex Proyas are a match made in heaven!

Emmerich could also be producer only.....

I just finish reading the first 30 pages or so of Foundation (Part 1: The Psyhohistorians) and its amazing, this depresses me a great deal :( I hate to be an ass about it but Emmerich sucks but who knows, Terminator Salvation looks great and who would of expected that with McG at the helm :huh:

I just finished reading part 2... Christ this story is so cool but its not an action movie at all, in fact, it reminds me a great deal of 2001: Space Odyssey and the problem is people equate Science - Fiction with Space Opera, rather than real Science Fiction, outside of BSG (which has good deal of melodrama), I don't know if this could work on the screen and be a financial success.

I just finished reading part 2... Christ this story is so cool but its not an action movie at all
Emmerich will fix that.
I don't know if this could work on the screen and be a financial success.
I agree. A faithful adaptation would be almost impossible to film, and if by some miracle someone were to somehow accomplish that, the movie isn't going to be that popular with general audiences.

But I'm sure Emmerich has it all figured out. Unfortunately.

I just read book 2 "Foundation and the Empire" and z0mg the ending just blew my mother****in mind! :cmad: A little more action this time around and its only 2 stories instead of 5, but I really don't get how there going make these into movies. :csad:

SDCC Exclusive! Rodat Adapting Foundation for Emmerich
Source: Edward Douglas July 25, 2009

It's Day 3 of Comic-Con and ComingSoon.net had a chance to sit down with Roland Emmerich to talk about his new movie 2012. Before we wrapped up, we asked what was going on with Emmerich's adaptation of Isaac Asimov's sci-epic Foundation, and we learned that Oscar-nominated writer Robert Rodat (Saving Private Ryan, The Patriot) has been hired to adapt it.

"'Foundation' is my first attempt to do a series of movies, because we're developing three movies: 'Foundation,' 'Foundation and Empire' and 'Second Foundation,'" he told us. "It took me a long time to actually wait for the moment where the rights were totally free and we got them all, it's like 11 books, and we own the title 'Foundation' and also some of the robot novels and now we can really do these. I just hired a very good writer, the writer of 'Saving Private Ryan' who wrote 'The Patriot' for me and he's incredible. He is the most knowledgeable person I ever met about the 'Foundation' novels. It's great to write with somebody like that because there's no, 'I'll just look in the book and see what's there'... he knows it. I had a certain idea and he had a certain idea and that together I think will make this a movie."

He wasn't sure whether that would be his next movie because he hasn't actually seen a finished script.

*Fingers crossed for carnivorous ostriches*

Damn it all to hell...

Foundation is too good for Emmerich...

Emmerich just doesn't have the maturity level that the adatpation needs.

And from his recent motion capture comment, it just sounds like he's just jumping on the bandwagon rather than be a smart film maker.

i just finish reading the first 30 pages or so of foundation (part 1: The psyhohistorians) and its amazing, this depresses me a great deal :( i hate to be an ass about it but emmerich sucks but who knows, terminator salvation looks great and who would of expected that with mcg at the helm :huh:

lmao!

THe Foundation is not cinematic enough so I cannot see how that would work as a movie. So, Roland, let's take some concepts of the book and blow some **** up. That will be fine for me.

Emmerich just doesn't have the maturity level that the adatpation needs.

And from his recent motion capture comment, it just sounds like he's just jumping on the bandwagon rather than be a smart film maker.
dude you need to go watch some of hes interviews from 2012. :woot:

he doesnt f... care. really he is not thinking. he just blows stuff up and smiles :yay:

I always wanted to read Foundation, so I'm very curious about this. I hated 2012, but I still believe Emmerich is capable of more... While not the best, I respect how he keeps doing "original" work, as opposed to sequels, remakes, etc... Even though this would be and adaptation :p

Why does Hollywood hate Asimov? What did he ever do to Hollywood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"