Days of Future Past "Romeo & Juliet Return?": The Official Jean Grey/Cyclops Debate - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was his role in the original "God Loves, Man Kills." He, along with Professor X, get kidnapped in the original comic book run as well. The only thing they changed about that was Storm - in the original storyline she also gets kidnapped along with them.

I'm probably going to assume they didn't do the same with Storm because they wanted to avoid the whole "Damsel in Distress" aspect that would undoubtedly come up.

thats just an excuse, its clear if singer doesn't wanna follow certain aspects of the comic he won't, so maybe they felt it worked in their favour to write cyclops out early

either way you look if you wanna do that story then do cyclops justice too don't use it as an excuse not too, they didn't even do cyclops much justice at all with what he did have, the fight at the prison was cut short and even then wasn't that impressive and cyclops got knocked out, the best power display we got was of him blasting his own gf and then crying at her death

Singer should have found something for cyclops to do, i personally think they should just have had him stand around brain washed like lady deathstrike, i mean yeah it wouldn't have been great but least he would have been there

thats just an excuse, its clear if singer doesn't wanna follow certain aspects of the comic he won't, so maybe they felt it worked in their favour to write cyclops out early

either way you look if you wanna do that story then do cyclops justice too don't use it as an excuse not too, they didn't even do cyclops much justice at all with what he did have, the fight at the prison was cut short and even then wasn't that impressive and cyclops got knocked out, the best power display we got was of him blasting his own gf and then crying at her death

Singer should have found something for cyclops to do, i personally think they should just have had him stand around brain washed like lady deathstrike, i mean yeah it wouldn't have been great but least he would have been there

Aparently there were also scenes with Cyclops and Professor Xavier while they were captured that were cut out, but you're right. I found it convenient that they decided to stay faithful to Cyke being sidelined, and meanwhile Wolverine is making out with Cyke's girlfriend. Hmm....

Or maybe it was just because Halle Berry needed more screentime. :hehe: :o
Actually they changed the original script to change certain lines that Jean said to make them what Halle/Storm says. I think that is were most people think there was tension between Halle and Bryan because she very well might have demanded to have a larger role for X2 for her to return thus side-lining other characters such as Cyke.

I don't think Singer intentionally slighted Cyclops in X2 because he had such a great plan for him in X3 as far as increasing his role. That being said he should have done more with him out the gate rather than waiting until it was to late.

Actually they changed the original script to change certain lines that Jean said to make them what Halle/Storm says.

Like what exactly? What lines uttered by Storm could also be spoken by Phoenix? They were on opposite sides so that can't be true. Their dialogue was not interchangeable.

I think that is were most people think there was tension between Halle and Bryan because she very well might have demanded to have a larger role for X2 for her to return thus side-lining other characters such as Cyke.

She wanted the character to be meaningful, to be done justice, to have some characterisation and a reason to be there. So do I. So does everyone on here, even 14 years later.

I don't think Singer intentionally slighted Cyclops in X2 because he had such a great plan for him in X3 as far as increasing his role. That being said he should have done more with him out the gate rather than waiting until it was to late.

I am pretty sure the studio wanted Jackman's lead role to have a romantic element and were pushing for that. It meant Marsden's Cyclops was always at risk of being pushed aside.

Singer probably went along with the original God Loves comic book story that saw Cyclops captured, knowing that it would also appease the studio's demands.

And I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have final say on what Cyclops' role was in X3. Rothman was still around and he, and whatever other dark forces there were at the time, would still be wanting Wolverine front and centre. Cyclops may have come out better than in the X3 we got, but he wouldn't suddenly be leading man with Wolverine moping on the sidelines. Who are we kidding here?

Or maybe it was just because Halle Berry needed more screentime. :hehe: :o

I know you're saying this tongue in cheek but I feel I must clear some things up for those that actually believe this.

The script was written before Halle won her Oscar and had always had Storm not being captured. After she won her Oscar the script was changed to give Halle lines that Jean was originally supposed to say. Best example, the scene when there in the X-jet about to go into Stryker's base. Originally Jean had Storm's lines about the structure of the base and Storm had Jean's single line, "If we go in there Stryker could flood the spillway"

During the course of filming Singer also decided to add an extra scene involving Storm. His reason, as he says in the X2 commentary, is that he felt the film lost focus of Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler. So he added the scene with Storm and Nightcrawler (one of the best Storm character moments of the entire series) which created the Faith and Anger character arc. Singer rewrote the ending between Storm and Nightcrawler about to go into Dark Cerebro to continue the faith and anger arc, which is addressed by Storm's line "I have faith in you"

In the end Halle didn't really get loads of screen time and her character didn't suddenly become important. Singer didn't let Halle's win affect the story he wanted to tell. Which surprises me considering how Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting a whole lot of screen time for a role though important in the source material should really be minimal.

Last edited:
I know you're saying this tongue in cheek but I feel I must clear some things up for those that actually believe this.

The script was written before Halle won her Oscar and had always had Storm not being captured. After she won her Oscar the script was changed to give Halle lines that Jean was originally supposed to say. Best example, the scene when there in the X-jet about to go into Stryker's base. Originally Jean had Storm's lines about the structure of the base and Storm had Jean's single line, "If we go in there Stryker could flood the spillway"

During the course of filming Singer also decided to add an extra scene involving scene. His reason, as he says in the X2 commentary, is that he felt the film lost focus of Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler. So he added the scene with Storm and Nightcrawler (one of the best Storm character moments of the entire series) which created the Faith and Anger character arc. Singer rewrot the ending between Storm and Nightcrawler about to go into Dark Cerebro to continue the faith and anger arc, which is addressed by Storm's line "I have faith in you"

In the end Halle didn't really get loads of screen time and her character didn't suddenly become important. Singer didn't let Halle's win affect the story he wanted to tell. Which surprises me considering how Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting a whole lot of screen time for a role though important in the source material should really be minimal.

To be honest, I think those lines about the structure of the base are better suited for Storm than for Jean anyway, so I approve that change. Storm was always second in command, and that kind of helps ease into her becoming more in charge by the time X3 came around.

To be honest, I think those lines about the structure of the base are better suited for Storm than for Jean anyway, so I approve that change. Storm was always second in command, and that kind of helps ease into her becoming more in charge by the time X3 came around.

Agreed. It makes sense and the scene feels natural. I think it would have been weird the other way around.

I'm okay with Lawrence's Mystique getting a reasonable chunk of screentime in this if it shows how and why she becomes a deadly assassin, and perhaps also includes the maternal link to Nightcrawler.

In the comics, Mystique was a well-established deadly villainess by the time of the DoFP story. In the movie, she isn't.

However, I don't want them to dwell too much on Mystique after this movie - but I fear they will, because of Lawrence's star power (and especially if she wins another Oscar).

I'm okay with Lawrence's Mystique getting a reasonable chunk of screentime in this if it shows how and why she becomes a deadly assassin, and perhaps also includes the maternal link to Nightcrawler.

In the comics, Mystique was a well-established deadly villainess by the time of the DoFP story. In the movie, she isn't.

However, I don't want them to dwell too much on Mystique after this movie - but I fear they will, because of Lawrence's star power (and especially if she wins another Oscar).

I guess I understand why she's got a lot of screen time I just wish they used some of that time to develop some of the other female characters. Not even talking about Storm. Kitty the character whose story this film should be telling. She should get a bit of development, so far it seems all she does apart from an action scene or two, is touch Logan's temple and wince.

Also hope Mystique doesn't become the female lead in another x-film. someone else deserves that screen time

During the course of filming Singer also decided to add an extra scene involving Storm. His reason, as he says in the X2 commentary, is that he felt the film lost focus of Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler. So he added the scene with Storm and Nightcrawler (one of the best Storm character moments of the entire series) which created the Faith and Anger character arc. Singer rewrote the ending between Storm and Nightcrawler about to go into Dark Cerebro to continue the faith and anger arc, which is addressed by Storm's line "I have faith in you"

Lol, I was really kidding. I know the script was already done before her Oscar win and I remember reading that only a few scenes were added after that. It was just a joke. :yay:

I guess I understand why she's got a lot of screen time I just wish they used some of that time to develop some of the other female characters. Not even talking about Storm. Kitty the character whose story this film should be telling. She should get a bit of development, so far it seems all she does apart from an action scene or two, is touch Logan's temple and wince.

Also hope Mystique doesn't become the female lead in another x-film. someone else deserves that screen time

Without veering off topic too much, I really am sick of how over-exposed Mystique is in the X-Men movies. She really was completely unnecessary in First Class (her struggle between Xavier and Magneto's views could have been projected onto another character). That being said, I love J-Law, so I'll put up with it :p

Agree. I hope things don't get too much stuck to Mystique in XMA. I like the character and i like the actress, but they shouldn't make everything turn around her only because she's been played by JLaw.

Back In 2003 It was said there was an attempt to give storm a bit more to do
after halle's oscar win.

There Is very good chane if the singer version of X3 would have been made that you would have a lot of conflict going on between Cyclops and Wolverine In
keeping wolverine as key character but also giving cyclops more to do.

Cyclops got short end of stick because singer was doing god loves man kills as
starting point for X2.

I see Mystique Is starting to become the new wolverine to some:woot:

Like what exactly? What lines uttered by Storm could also be spoken by Phoenix? They were on opposite sides so that can't be true. Their dialogue was not interchangeable.
No they weren't... you know I'm talking about X2 don't you?

Agreed. It makes sense and the scene feels natural. I think it would have been weird the other way around.
I agree actually I was just pointing out a fact. :oldrazz:

True.

His reason, as he says in the X2 commentary, is that he felt the film lost focus of Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler. So he added the scene with Storm and Nightcrawler (one of the best Storm character moments of the entire series) which created the Faith and Anger character arc. Singer rewrote the ending between Storm and Nightcrawler about to go into Dark Cerebro to continue the faith and anger arc, which is addressed by Storm's line "I have faith in you"

So true. I'm hoping we get more of this kind of Storm and more of this type of acting from Halle.

In the first 3 X-MEN movies the biggest female role was Famke's ...Halle's role always was second or third sometimes (Rogue in X-MEN 1)
In X-Men 1 Famke has a bit support role...I hope Storm will have more screen time in DOFP and more fight scenes:woot:

I wouldn't call what she did in Xmen 3 a big role. She was a zombie mute most of the time.

Famke was the best of X3,
by far.She won a saturn award for her performance .Up to half of film they let him talk and he did wonderfully.

Of all the actresses of X-Men is the best interpretation has had.

famke1.jpg
untitled.jpg

Yeah and I also find Storm more fitting than Jean Grey as a spokesperson when it comes to mission briefing.
I see Mystique Is starting to become the new wolverine to some:woot:

Well thats because Mystique is a villain.

If there's gonna be another Wolverine, it should be at least a member of the X-Men, like Cyclops or Storm.

Have you seen this photo posted on twitter?
Probably a fake, but it is curious.

29o63w3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"