Rotten Tomatoes Watch thread

I don't think it's weird considering the crux of the movie. It was bound to cause polarizing reactions.
I wonder if Wakanda Forever and The Marvels are going to have a sophomore slump as well.

I cant see Wakanda Forever scoring as high the first movie. The Marvels scoring lower than CM's 79% wouldn't be a good look for Carol.

For MCU ips, the only ones that scored higher than their 1st movie are Captain America and Ant-Man.

I wonder if Wakanda Forever and The Marvels are going to have a sophomore slump as well.

I cant see Wakanda Forever scoring as high the first movie. The Marvels scoring lower than CM's 79% wouldn't be a good look for Carol.

For MCU ips, the only ones that scored higher than their 1st movie are Captain America and Ant-Man.

I'd be surprised if Wakanda Forever scored higher than the first BP. That movie was lightning in a bottle. Plus, I think the loss of Boseman is going to really be felt. Not to mention the production problems reported.

On the other hand, I can see The Marvels being seen as an improvement over the first film. Nia DaCosta strikes me as an upgrade over Borden and Fleck.

So 120k votes in Imdb suggest audiences don't go there to vote, but 10k+ in Rotten Tomatoes says that they do? A B+ is generally a quite good grade, but in terms of CinemaScore it's relatively low. And a 7.5 in Imdb isn't bad at all either, but it's not great for a film like this either and it's going to drop quite a bit after a while, probably making it end up being on the lower tier of the MCU films.

I didn't mean that most viewers actively dislike the movie, I pretty much replied to the comment that said people seem to "really like it", which it mostly comes out as "people seem to somewhat like it" to me. It's more of a mixed to positive reaction that I'm overall seeing in and outside the internet. Maybe the binary nature of Rotten Tomatoes doesn't allow that to be clear, because it's equally important as to how much they like it.

Yeah.

MOM is one of those films in which the GA seems to think is "fine ", " Solid" and "okay", but that alot of people in fandom think is " excellent" and "great" relatively speaking.

I'd be surprised if Wakanda Forever scored higher than the first BP. That movie was lightning in a bottle. Plus, I think the loss of Boseman is going to really be felt. Not to mention the production problems reported.

On the other hand, I can see The Marvels being seen as an improvement over the first film. Nia DaCosta strikes me as an upgrade over Borden and Fleck.
Honestly I eXpected more glowing reviews from Sam Raimi and Chloe Zhao so, I shouldn't have high eXpectations anymore. But I'd be surprised if The Marvels gets a lower rt rating than Captain Marvel. With Wakanda Forever, anything lower than 85% would be a clear sophomore slump for me.

IMDB in general isn't trustworthy considering how much partisan voting there is.

Yeah, the issue is not "Do a lot of people use IMDB", the issue is "How much effort does IMDB exert to make sure that their user rating presents useful, accurate information". The answer sadly being "Even less than most other internet polls, by like a lot". At least RT puts a *little* effort into ensuring that each account belongs to a single distinct human being.

They're all about as trustworthy as each other IMO.

In almost all cases I generally think the user rating of films on these sorts of websites are closer to my own than the actual critical score which I find to be even more unreliable.

I like to average the audience score with the critic score to get the most accurate rating.

Inaccurate. Avengers: Endgame scored higher than Avengers. Thor: Ragnarok scored higher than Thor and Thor: The Dark World. No Way Home scored better than Homecoming.

Inaccurate. Avengers: Endgame scored higher than Avengers. Thor: Ragnarok scored higher than Thor and Thor: The Dark World. No Way Home scored better than Homecoming.
I'm referring to the 2nd movie hence the term "sophomore slump".

I don't think you could apply sophomore slump to movie #3 or 4.

I'm referring to the 2nd movie hence the term "sophomore slump".

I don't think you could apply sophomore slump to movie #3 or 4.

Well, when you say, "For MCU ips, the only ones that scored higher than their 1st movie are Captain America and Ant-Man," that inherently implies films other than the second installment.

Regardless, even if it's restricted to just Captain America and Ant-Man, that shows it's possible. Also, we are talking about how a group of critics, not all of whom are like-minded, view a film. Not to mention, it's probably not always the same ones reviewing all the films.

I think the more pertinent data is that when you look at the collective MCU, most of the films received favorable to positive reviews. Considering the timing, and amount of films, it's a fairly strong track record.

Again, I was clearly comparing to movie #2 to movie #1 and movie #2s for the most part in the MCU, isn't as well received (critically) as movie #1 - which is true.

I wasn't comparing Ragnarok to Thor 1 then Infinity War/Endgame to the first Avengers. I'm pretty confident that the neXt Dr. Strange would be better than Multiverse of Madness. And Love and Thunder would be better than the first two Thor movies.

Again, I was clearly comparing to movie #2 to movie #1 and movie #2s for the most part in the MCU, isn't as well received (critically) as movie #1 - which is true.

I wasn't comparing Ragnarok to Thor 1 then Infinity War/Endgame to the first Avengers. I'm pretty confident that the neXt Dr. Strange would be better than Multiverse of Madness. And Love and Thunder would be better than the first two Thor movies.

Better in terms of fans or critics though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"