RT MCU ranking:

24. Doctor Strange: MOM - 75%
25. Iron Man 2 - 72%
26. The Incredible Hulk - 67%
27. Thor: TDW - 66%
28. Eternals - 47%

Last edited:
Well I didn't eXpect it to be in the bottom siX for sure

Another 2quel that failed to score better than the first film.

Its down to 76% with 300 reviews. Yeah I knew it was going to stabilize in 75 to 77 percent.

TOMATOMETER
75%

Average Rating: 6.5 out of 10
Fresh: 228
Rotten: 74

It won’t get the certified fresh badge if it dips any further. I guess the hesitation of attributing that badge has to do with the fact that the rating keeps on dipping.

The Audience Score, a 12 percent difference.
They appeared to really like it.

Cinemascore, IMDB rating and metacritic user score suggest otherwise.

I guess, we will really know the answer next week, when we see the box office dropoff.

TOMATOMETER
75%

It won’t get the certified fresh badge if it dips any further. I guess the hesitation of attributing that badge has to do with the fact that the rating keeps on dipping.
So over 300 reviews in. Barely going to move from here then.

TOMATOMETER
75%

That certified fresh badge doesn't seem consistent as Iron Man 2 has it and it only has a 72% on RT.

76% with 308 reviews in. This is, evidently, a very different MCU movie and when you do something out of the ordinary, there will be a lot of people who get thrown off. I wouldn't expect a somewhat "different" movie to be rated as high as standard fare. It just isn't going to happen. Ultimately, the general public will weigh in. The ratings from critics and the GA seem solid, but not spectacular.

I expect a significant dropoff next weekend even without much competition as a movie like this typically drops 55-60%. That should still have it in the neighborhood of 300M in the first 10 days. That's pretty damn nice neighborhood.

76% isn't bad given the word of mouth from the advance screenings and reports of major reshoots. But it was clear that the movie had issues before it was even released.

at least it isn't as badly reviewed as Eternals. One day Marvel Studios would have a second film with a rotten rating. And I don't think its going to take as long as the first one (13 to 14 years).

76% isn't bad given the word of mouth from the advance screenings and reports of major reshoots. But it was clear that the movie had issues before it was even released.

at least it isn't as badly reviewed as Eternals. One day Marvel Studios would have a second film with a rotten rating. And I don't think its going to take as long as the first one (13 to 14 years).

When that day happens, it will hardly mean the end of the MCU.

I wonder, what classic movie would still have been hits if RT was around,
Wizard of Oz?
Gone With The Wind?
Chinatown?
Just Curious.

I wonder, what classic movie would still have been hits if RT was around,
Wizard of Oz?
Gone With The Wind?
Chinatown?
Just Curious.

I think all those still would have been hits or eventual classics. They also all had widespread critical acclaim upon their release.

The original Blade Runner was not well received by critics or audiences when it was released, and it's now hailed as a classic and genre-defining landmark.

The Northman was beloved by critics, but it didn't really do all that well with audiences. There's not always an exact formula here.

its weird its one of the lowest rated MCU films in Rt. It certainly followed the footsteps of Iron Man 2, Guardians of the GalaXy Vol. 2, The Dark World and Age of Ultron, 2quels getting less positive reviews compare to the 1st one. And 3 out of those 4 are some of the lowest rated Mcu films as well.

its weird its one of the lowest rated MCU films in Rt. It certainly followed the footsteps of Iron Man 2, Guardians of the GalaXy Vol. 2, The Dark World and Age of Ultron, 2quels getting less positive reviews compare to the 1st one. And 3 out of those 4 are some of the lowest rated Mcu films as well.

I don't think it's weird considering the crux of the movie. It was bound to cause polarizing reactions.

Cinemascore, IMDB rating and metacritic user score suggest otherwise.

B+ Cinemascore isn't a bad score at all. Also, maybe most of the movie going audience doesn't got to imdb or metacritic or the internet in general to give scores. Though since over 10K have given an Audience Rating at RT, maybe they go there?

B+ Cinemascore isn't a bad score at all. Also, maybe most of the movie going audience doesn't got to imdb or metacritic or the internet in general to give scores. Though since over 10K have given an Audience Rating at RT, maybe they go there?
So 120k votes in Imdb suggest audiences don't go there to vote, but 10k+ in Rotten Tomatoes says that they do? A B+ is generally a quite good grade, but in terms of CinemaScore it's relatively low. And a 7.5 in Imdb isn't bad at all either, but it's not great for a film like this either and it's going to drop quite a bit after a while, probably making it end up being on the lower tier of the MCU films.

I didn't mean that most viewers actively dislike the movie, I pretty much replied to the comment that said people seem to "really like it", which it mostly comes out as "people seem to somewhat like it" to me. It's more of a mixed to positive reaction that I'm overall seeing in and outside the internet. Maybe the binary nature of Rotten Tomatoes doesn't allow that to be clear, because it's equally important as to how much they like it.

Last edited:
So 120k votes in Imdb suggest audiences don't go there to vote, but 10k+ in Rotten Tomatoes says that they do? A B+ is generally a quite good grade, but in terms of CinemaScore it's relatively low. And a 7.5 in Imdb isn't bad at all either, but it's not great for a film like this either and it's going to drop quite a bit after a while, probably making it end up being on the lower tier of the MCU films.

I didn't mean that most viewers actively dislike the movie, I pretty much replied to the comment that said people seem to "really like it", which it mostly comes out as "people seem to somewhat like it" to me. It's more of a mixed to positive reaction that I'm overall seeing in and outside the internet. Maybe the binary nature of Rotten Tomatoes doesn't allow that to be clear, because it's equally important as to how much they like it.

IMDB in general isn't trustworthy considering how much partisan voting there is.

IMDB in general isn't trustworthy considering how much partisan voting there is.
That's not exactly true as it's only happening in specific titles and it's apparent when not enough people have voted. When a film has 120k votes it evens out and you tend to see a far more balanced view of how much people liked it overall. Also an average score is always better than a "liked/disliked" one, on my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"