Rumor: New Xbox to launch in 2010?

Isildur´s Heir;17076211 said:
I might be wrong, but i don´t believe that for a minute.
Besides, Natal built in would be, imo, stupid, as people would have to place a console a certain way for Natal to work properly and have a good viewing angle.
In fact, and based on the ability to scan stuff, Natal should be, or have a portable part to it, so anyone could go out and scan stuff and whatnot (i hope MS has the same idea).
Of course no one has seen the definitive version of it, so it might not be that stupid to have it built it.

But, if it´s true, if there will be indeed a "new" Xbox 360, i bet that there will be slightly higher specs, just like i posted before in this same thread.
And foward compabilty will be a reality.

A built in Natal is not that stupid of an idea as I said before, a minor inconvenience that could easily be fixed, unless MS is going to put another camera that has voice and motion recognition in this new model, then it's the Natal

Last edited:
Yeah, just having Natal alone wouldn't make sense to me. As Natal's a camera and as stated before if it's built in you'd have to position your console in a well lit spot that has full view of the room for the camera to see you. Plus calling it a new console just for that would be like calling future Wii's with built in motion+ Wii 2's.

This is getting more interesting as it unfolds. It's like a murder novel unraveling, every bit of leaked info thickens the plot heh.

As for the next Xbox not launching until 3D TV's are more available. Both Sony and MS have talked about that, I could see future consoles using the 3D TV's, but as HD TV's aren't in every home I doubt they'll revolve a console around the next technological step up in just a few years. MS might just have said that because if they said that a new 360 was coming in 2010 future customers might be hesitant to purchase a 360 this year.

I'll wait and see, it could actually just be integrated Natal released like a new version (see arcade, elite, pro)

Yeah, just having Natal alone wouldn't make sense to me. As Natal's a camera and as stated before if it's built in you'd have to position your console in a well lit spot that has full view of the room for the camera to see you. Plus calling it a new console just for that would be like calling future Wii's with built in motion+ Wii 2's.

You're looking at in the wrong context. As far as I tell no one is calling this thing the Next Xbox console and it's the next iteration of the 360. It's like the PS2 to the PS2 slim. Sony didn't need to release that, but they did.

Also, Natal built in makes more sense then I think you guys realize. I'm assuming that MS is expecting a lot of new consumers with their Natal camera and having a console with this feature built in is good for these theoretical new costumers. It's not going to replace the Xbox 360s we have now or anything (Eventually it'll probably phase it out though like the PS2 slim to the PS2). It's also not that inconvenient and could be remedied fairly easily.

It's all about the marketing POV. They could even mark it down, say, $50 from what it would cost to get a 360 plus Natal and bundle it with some shovelware title that utilizes the Natal, like Nintendo did with Wii Sports.

Last edited:
And a built in Natal is not that stupid of an idea as I said before, a minor inconvenience that could easily be fixed...

The main problem I have with it being built in tho is that not all entertainment spaces are the same. Even tho it's not a good idea, some ppl have their consoles in closed spaces. Some have them on the floor, on top of TV's, desks, behind stuff, etc. For the camera to pick ppl up (if it comes built in to the console) ppl would have to put the console front and center in an almost eye level view. Some ppl just don't have the space or means to do that.

Personally I'd have to move my TV. It's big enough I don't have enough room on what it sets on to place a console next to it. My PS3 sets on a smaller end table next to my TV. I'd have to buy something with more surface area to get a console eye level. IMO letting it be a peripheral attached to a long cord that can be moved around is the way to go.

The main problem I have with it being built in tho is that not all entertainment spaces are the same. Even tho it's not a good idea, some ppl have their consoles in closed spaces. Some have them on the floor, on top of TV's, desks, behind stuff, etc. For the camera to pick ppl up (if it comes built in to the console) ppl would have to put the console front and center in an almost eye level view. Some ppl just don't have the space or means to do that.

Personally I'd have to move my TV. It's big enough I don't have enough room on what it sets on to place a console next to it. My PS3 sets on a smaller end table next to my TV. I'd have to buy something with more surface area to get a console eye level. IMO letting it be a peripheral attached to a long cord that can be moved around is the way to go.

That would have to be the price to pay I suppose. We know this new 360 has a built in camera so it is happening, but I don't think it'd that big of a problem to be honest.

You're looking at in the wrong context. As far as I tell no one is calling this thing the Next Xbox console and it's the next iteration of the 360. It's like the PS2 to the PS2 slim. Sony didn't need to release that, but they did.

Well if it is just like going from the PS2 to the slim, or in another term a new version of the 360 like the arcade, pro, or elite, then it's not bad. I guess I'm just more worried about it being a way of trying to jump start next gen. The PS3 and 360 still have plenty of power left in them. I think jump starting a new gen already would backfire.

That's what I'm thinking it is and the impression I'm getting from all of this. Releasing a full next gen system is a bad idea and I don't think they would release an upgraded 360 or something like that. At most I think it'll be slimmed down and/or redesigned to help with the convenience issue

Last edited:
Well, then I think you should expect disappointment.
It´s not really a disappointment, it´s just that i don´t believe that MS will release a "new console" (keyword is new) just so they can put Natal built in.

Back last year, Microsoft started talking about that it wanted to bring foward compability to their next console.
In other words, current generation games would be improved by the specs in the new console, with better framerates, textures, “draw” distances, sound, color, graphics....you name it.
Also, games made for the (let´s call it) 720 would be playable in the 360, because foward compabilty would also mean that the games would lower their specs when in a lower console.
Think of it like PC games with the minimum requirements.
Now, that foward compability is in the making, so, it makes perfect sense it will happen in a future Xbox console, and that would prevent the 360 to became "obsolete", as games would run in both consoles.
Microsoft said that the 360 life span is of 10 years, but no one believes that there will not be a new console before that, and i don´t believe for a minute that Microsoft would turn the 360 into their own PS2.
So, foward compability makes perfect sense, it would be like a PC....in console form.

So, imo, the question is not, will the new xbox be only about Natal built in, but, will there be a new console in 2010.

And just for the record, even if there is a "new" Xbox, even if i´m right about the slightly higher specs, it will not a be a new console in the likes of starting a new generation

Last edited:
Isildur´s Heir;17076637 said:
It´s not really a disappointment, it´s just that i don´t believe that MS will release a "new console" (keyword is new) just so they can put Natal built in.

Back last year, Microsoft started talking about that it wanted to bring foward compability to their next console.
In other words, current generation games would be improved by the specs in the new console, with better framerates, textures, “draw” distances, sound, color, graphics....you name it.
Also, games made for the (let´s call it) 720 would be playable in the 360, because foward compabilty would also mean that the games would lower their specs when in a lower console.
Think of it like PC games with the minimum requirements.
Now, that foward compability is in the making, so, it makes perfect sense it will happen in a future Xbox console, and that would prevent the 360 to became "obsolete", as games would run in both consoles.
Microsoft said that the 360 life span is of 10 years, but no one believes that there will not be a new console before that, and i don´t believe for a minute that Microsoft would turn the 360 into their own PS2.
So, foward compability makes perfect sense, it would be like a PC....in console form.

So, imo, the question is not, will the new xbox be only about Natal built in, but, will there be a new console in 2010.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what forward compatibility is. If this is a new next gen console I think MS is in for an uphill battle to try to sell it at this point.

Yes, I'm quite aware of what forward compatibility is. If this is a new next gen console I think MS is in for an uphill battle to try to sell it at this point.
I edited my post:

And just for the record, even if there is a "new" Xbox, even if i´m right about the slightly higher specs, it will not a be a new console in the likes of starting a new generation

That would be awful, though, because companies would take advantage of these higher specs and where would that leave those people with 360s who had the 'regular' specs?

Last edited:
Why the heck would MS announce a new 360 now? Generally companies dont announce so far in advance for fear that sales would go down while people wait for the new version

That would be awful, though, because companies would take advantage of these higher specs and where would that leave those people with 360s who had the 'regular' specs?
Did you miss the all, the games would run on both consoles, by any chance?

Why the heck would MS announce a new 360 now? Generally companies dont announce so far in advance for fear that sales would go down while people wait for the new version
Yeah, that would be fairly stupid.

In other news...
The only reason that makes me believe that a new console wouldn´t be that far-fetched is because, after reading some interviews with Shane Kim and Phil Spencer (head of Microsoft Game Studios), i came to realise that 2010 might be more important to MS than we realise.
To start, Microsoft Game Studios is rebuilding itself following recent staff lay-offs and studios closures.
Their first change was appointing Peter Molyneux as creative director of Europe.
Shane Kim also stated that the third party angle is leveled up, now that Metal Gear Solid is also on the Xbox (FF, RE, GTA and GTA are now also on the Microsoft console), so, i believe that they start to focus on 1st parties (it was about time), so i bet we will see some studios buyouts in the next couple of months, which makes sense, because MGS is way too small when it comes to 1st parties.

Isildur´s Heir;17077475 said:
Did you miss the all, the games would run on both consoles, by any chance?

So, you are meaning a next gen console then? I understand what you're saying but I'm not seeing how that's not a new generation of console, just because it'll have 'forward compatibility' and the 360 will still be supported it'll still be an attempt at a new gen. of consoles, there's really no two ways about it.

Unless you mean a literal Xbox 360, part 2 with just slightly upgraded hardware specs as a standalone system with 'forward compatibility'. In that case, I think it would be an even tougher sell, especially if they expect that to sit side by side with the 360, part 1 hardware

Last edited:
http://kotaku.com/5296104/microsoft-there-will-be-no-new-console

Today, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer indicated that the company would be releasing a new Xbox 360 in 2010, one featuring a built-in camera. That seemingly confirmed a new hardware configuration with the company's Project Natal built-in. Microsoft's official word?

While Ballmer's casual mention of a new Xbox 360 hardware iteration at the Executive's Club of Chicago seemingly confirms a rumor originating from 1UP, Microsoft's Director of Product Management for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Aaron Greenberg told Kotaku "There will be no new console."

"We're not going to be launching a new console any time soon," Greenberg said during a phone call today. "I really believe he was speaking about Project Natal."

"We want to make sure people know that we're excited about Project Natal," Greenberg noted, "But we're barely halfway through this generation. We're happy with the Xbox 360, so there are no changes from that standpoint. For the time being, we're really just showing a whole new category of gaming."

Asked if Microsoft was at least considering putting the hands-free motion controller technology into a new Xbox 360 configuration, Greenberg said "Yes, we have looked at that, but we haven't announced any details for something like that."

Nor has the company announced a ship date or final name for the motion-sensing camera tech it debuted at E3 2009, Greenberg added.

"We are saying that the Natal will run on the Xbox 360, so there's no new hardware to purchase," Greenberg said, reiterating the company's position on its current generation platform. "What we're doing that's unique is, instead of asking you to invest in a new generation of hardware, a generation that's already well established, extending the experience even longer by adding this whole new category of experiences with Project Natal."

"We're changing the rules a little bit just like we did with the New Xbox Experience," he said.

We've requested a transcript of Mr. Ballmer's speech from Executive's Club of Chicago and will follow up when and if it becomes available.

So, unless MS is just flat out ********ting on this or this guy is completely removed from the loop, looks like no new console

If the tech is ready now, or at least close to being ready, why wait?

Unless you mean a literal Xbox 360, part 2 with just slightly upgraded hardware specs as a standalone system with 'forward compatibility'. In that case, I think it would be an even tougher sell, especially if they expect that to sit side by side with the 360, part 1 hardware
Yeah, that´s the best way to put it, but i don´t see as being tougher sell.
Look at that as a PC, if you are able to run a certain game, are you really going to update your system?
The point is exactly the same.
The people that would get the "new" console would be the ones ready to make that upgrade, and people that wanted the best.

It's different with the PC because you just have to upgrade certain things, with this 360, part 2 you would have to buy a totally different stand alone console. It would be more like the PC you have doesn't run this, so I have to buy a new rig for roughly the same price or slightly more.

It just seems to me that would be a complete waste, especially since the 360 still has life in it. They might as well just put that time and money into making a full blown next gen console

Isildur´s Heir;17080948 said:
Yeah, that´s the best way to put it, but i don´t see as being tougher sell.
Look at that as a PC, if you are able to run a certain game, are you really going to update your system?
The point is exactly the same.
The people that would get the "new" console would be the ones ready to make that upgrade, and people that wanted the best.

In all honesty, that would be terrible and that is the reason why PC gaming is so difficult.

You would be eliminating what makes console gaming so attractive: stability.

If I buy a 360 or PS3, I would want to make sure that every single game that comes out for it will be of equal quality. I don't want to deal with the nonsense of "updating" my system. Simple patches that work on every machine are fine, but creating a divide among the console base that results in some having a better experience than others is simply wrong.

It would be the last thing the console world needs.

MS, if you are coming out with a new console, make sure it is for the next generation, not spec's enhanced version of the 360.

If Microsoft would launch a new Xbox next year that would make no sense because they already have 20 million people on Xbox Live and it is way too early unless it is a redesign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"