Rumor: New Xbox to launch in 2010?

Pandamar141 said:
You guys need to get out of the habit of thinking about console generations in such rigid terms. From here on out the line between one generation and another is going to get much, much blurrier. I think if you look at the way Apple runs their iPod line..

If consoles go that way I'm dumping console gaming. When I buy a console I expect to be able to play and enjoy any games that come out on that console within it's life span. If console do several mini incremental upgrades, each making you rebuy the system or new peripherals just to be able to play games, I'm going back to PC gaming.

Atleast with a PC when I want to play a new game I may only have to upgrade a graphics card, or buy 1 new stick of ram. Rebuying a console for a few new features, or a slight performance upgrade is utterly ridiculous and a complete counter as to the entire reason consoles are so popular (a hassle free piece of hardware that you don't have to worry about upgrading constantly, but still plays new games).

If consoles go that way I'm dumping console gaming. When I buy a console I expect to be able to play and enjoy any games that come out on that console within it's life span. If console do several mini incremental upgrades, each making you rebuy the system or new peripherals just to be able to play games, I'm going back to PC gaming.

Well, you wouldn't have to buy these new versions. Like you don't have to buy a DSi if you have a DS Lite. You can still play the same games (Well, you lose the GBA titles with the DSi and can't download titles with the DS Lite). It's that kind of thing

Geez, why did you even bother to post this part. Stupid Sega

Lol, I passed right over that. Would be a foolish mistake on Sega's part if true. Wii's dominating, MS has gained major ground with the Xbox, and Sony is regaining any ground lost with the start of the PS3. So we have 3 MAJOR players, and Sega's last few consoles have flopped.

Plus...their mascot has become very, very sucky. That's not to say all of Sega's games are bad, Valkyria Chronicles is amazing, but Sega avoided a deathblow and only now are making a slight comeback...why risk it?

Dreamcast 2.

10/10/10.

You gotta believe.:o

Teardrop said:
Well, you wouldn't have to buy these new versions. Like you don't have to buy a DSi if you have a DS Lite. You can still play the same games.

IMO developers will eventually want to push games farther, and will take advantage of the new hardware. If like stated in Isildur's post the GPU, CPU, and RAM are upgraded, and a developer is having having trouble making a game, he might push it more since it can run smoothly on the new console. That would mean the old console may suffer from frame rate problems, or run into glitches (let's face it, some developers have trouble releasing a game without needing 30 post release patches to run).

I guess I'm just saying that if the line becomes blurry, there HAS to be a point where games take advantage of the new upgrades, leaving older consoles behind. I prefer solid divisions inbetween generations, and solid enough upgrades to warrant another $300-500 purchase (more if you count controllers).

Tho I really don't buy a new Xbox in 2010 just yet.

IMO developers will eventually want to push games farther, and will take advantage of the new hardware. If like stated in Isildur's post the GPU, CPU, and RAM are upgraded, and a developer is having having trouble making a game, he might push it more since it can run smoothly on the new console. That would mean the old console may suffer from frame rate problems, or run into glitches (let's face it, some developers have trouble releasing a game without needing 30 post release patches to run).

I guess I'm just saying that if the line becomes blurry, there HAS to be a point where games take advantage of the new upgrades, leaving older consoles behind. I prefer solid divisions inbetween generations, and solid enough upgrades to warrant another $300-500 purchase (more if you count controllers).

Tho I really don't buy a new Xbox in 2010 just yet.

Oh well, yeah, if you were talking about what he was saying then I see what you meant

If like stated in Isildur's post the GPU, CPU, and RAM are upgraded, and a developer is having having trouble making a game, he might push it more since it can run smoothly on the new console. That would mean the old console may suffer from frame rate problems, or run into glitches (let's face it, some developers have trouble releasing a game without needing 30 post release patches to run).
Not necessarily.
Like i said, i don´t believe it until an official confirmation from Microsoft, but, with the all "foward compability", you can make games for both consoles.
Last year or in 2007, Microsoft talked about wanting to bring to their next console what they called foward compability insted of just backward compability, and by that meaning that you can still make games for the 360, but when they run on the new one, they became way better (better graphics, better resolution, better frame rate...that sort of thing).
That would make that you can have the same game in both consoles and take the best out of both.

There are only two things that makes me wonder in the all new console.
First, the all foward compability. If they talked about it before, is because they are actually already making it, so, i can´t believe that were talking about something to come out 6 years from now.
Second, for all i know and read, they are already making Halo 4, which would be a lunch title for the next console.
Now, if the next console will only be arriving in 2015, that would mean that Halo 4 would be 6 years in the making, making it the new Duke Nukem Forever.
At the same time, if Halo 4 is indeed a launch title, and the "next xbox" will be coming out in 2010.....there can´t be 2 Halo games coming out with only a few months or weeks apart (Halo: Reach and Halo 4).

Isildur´s Heir;17057847 said:
Not necessarily.
Like i said, i don´t believe it until an official confirmation from Microsoft, but, with the all "foward compability", you can make games for both consoles.
Last year or in 2007, Microsoft talked about wanting to bring to their next console what they called foward compability insted of just backward compability, and by that meaning that you can still make games for the 360, but when they run on the new one, they became way better (better graphics, better resolution, better frame rate...that sort of thing).
That would make that you can have the same game in both consoles and take the best out of both.

There are only two things that makes me wonder in the all new console.
First, the all foward compability. If they talked about it before, is because they are actually already making it, so, i can´t believe that were talking about something to come out 6 years from now.
Second, for all i know and read, they are already making Halo 4, which would be a lunch title for the next console.
Now, if the next console will only be arriving in 2015, that would mean that Halo 4 would be 6 years in the making, making it the new Duke Nukem Forever.
At the same time, if Halo 4 is indeed a launch title, and the "next xbox" will be coming out in 2010.....there can´t be 2 Halo games coming out with only a few months or weeks apart (Halo: Reach and Halo 4).

What's the point of having a Halo 4 when you have Bungie making Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. There's really no reason for it (or having an internal Microsoft team devoted to the franchise) when you still have Bungie very much committed to the series even as an independent company. Microsoft should just shut down Spawnpoint Studios and put the talent elsewhere.

Personally I think Halo: Reach is essentially Halo 4 in the same way that Snake Eater is Metal Gear Solid 3.

What's the point of having a Halo 4 when you have Bungie making Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach. There's really no reason for it (or having an internal Microsoft team devoted to the franchise) when you still have Bungie very much committed to the series even as an independent company. Microsoft should just shut down Spawnpoint Studios and put the talent elsewhere.
Is very weird of Bungie to still be making Halo games, when they said they want to make other things (they said that right after Halo 3).
One of those would be a platform game in the vein of Mario.
IMO, they should stop making Halo games and allow others to do it, which i believe will happen.
In fact, we still don´t know if Halo: Reach is being made by Bungie, they can be just producing it like they did in Halo Wars.

hippie_hunter said:
Personally I think Halo: Reach is essentially Halo 4 in the same way that Snake Eater is Metal Gear Solid 3.
From what i could gather so far, Halo: Reach is going to be a prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, a spin-off if you will, just like Halo Wars is.
Halo 4 will continue the story of Master Chief, imo, all games called Halo only will always be about Master Chief and sequels of each other, which makes sense.

Last edited:
Isildur´s Heir;17057901 said:
From what i could gather so far, Halo: Reach is going to be a prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, a spin-off if you will, just Halo Wars is.
Halo 4 will continue the story of Master Chief, imo, all games called Halo only will always be about Master Chief and sequels of each other, which makes sense.

I don't think you can consider a straight prequel a spin-off, Master Chief or not

Isildur´s Heir;17057901 said:
Is very weird of Bungie to still be making Halo games, when they said they want to make other things (they said that right after Halo 3).
One of those would be a platform game in the vein of Mario.
IMO, they should stop making Halo games and allow others to do it, which i believe will happen.
In fact, we still don´t know if Halo: Reach is being made by Bungie, they can be just producing it like they did in Halo Wars.
Halo: Reach is being made by Bungie.

From what i could gather so far, Halo: Reach is going to be a prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, a spin-off if you will, just like Halo Wars is.
So....Metal Gear Solid 3 was a prequel where you played a different character than Solid Snake who didn't even show up or even get mentioned in the game. Halo: Reach is pretty much Halo 4 for the time being until Microsoft announces an actual Halo 4.

Further more reason why Microsoft should just shut down Spawnpoint. There is no reason to have them when you have the original Halo developers more than willing to continue on with the series in a proper fashion and Microsoft has been laying off employees left and right and cutting costs. This is one that makes the most sense.

Pretty sure it's just the 360 with a built in Natal... not a new console per se...
Like a 360 ultra-elite.

Microsoft respond to the new xbox rumors....and don´t confirm, but don´t deny either.

Xbox director of product management Aaron Greenberg has told Eurogamer "I think part of the excitement about this announcement is that in many ways we are delivering a next generation experience this generation. With that said, I can confirm that Natal will run on Xbox 360 so no new console investment will be necessary."

To not be necessary to buy a new console for Natal we already knew, but that doesn´t mean there isn´t one in the making.

I seriously doubt we'll see a new Xbox in 2010; it's way too soon to launch a new console. However, it's possible that this new console is just 360 with new technology embedded to make use of the Project Natal, but I still don't see that happening. If they do come out with a new console, though, I hope they will make sure neither RROD and E74 will surface, and they should make stability their main priority.

The Interwebs were astir yesterday after 1UP claimed to have learned that Microsoft was planning to introduce a redesigned and upgraded version of the Xbox 360 sometime next year, around the launch of the Project Natal add-on. Well now, not only have those rumors been refuted, they’ve been expanded upon to create an all-new super rumor.

Citing double-secret insider info, the folks over at TeamXbox report that Microsoft has no plans to introduce a new Xbox 360, but they say that a special edition of the console with built-in Natal support is still entirely possible. However, the biggest new addition to the rumor pile is that over the next few weeks, new information (which TeamXbox claims to already be privy) will start being released about the next Xbox.

For now, the only thing TeamXbox will reveal at this time is that Microsoft doesn’t plan on launching a new console until “a certain type of television becomes more widespread, because in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.”
Well played TeamXbox. Of course, until someone actually confirms any of this info, none of it should be believed. I mean, it all sounds plausible enough (a bit more plausible than I usually like my rumors to be honest), but we don’t even know that much about Project Natal yet, and we're already talking about two new consoles, one that supports 3D HD gaming? Let's pace ourselves, people.
But as long as we’re tossing rumors around, here’s one for you: In addition to hands-free motion-control support, the next Xbox will also support Microsoft’s Surface technology with your TV being the main screen and the Surface display as your secondary screen, sort of like a living-room sized version of the Nintendo DS. Now we play the waiting game to see whose rumor is right.

What’s your take on these new Xbox rumors?

Me personally...
I doubt I will be able to afford this next-gen tech until a couple of years after launch anyway...

How much better can graphics get? At some point it's basically going to look exactly like real life.

How much better can graphics get? At some point it's basically going to look exactly like real life.
thats an argument made with every console generation and each time they push the limits. MGS4 is probably the best looking game out on the consoles so far and games can look better than that

Dear Microsoft,

dontcountchickens-1.jpg

pimp the 360 for as long as possible, at least 2 more years. No need for Nextbox yet rushing the hardware hurt he 360 learn from that mistake.

Citing double-secret insider info, the folks over at TeamXbox report that Microsoft has no plans to introduce a new Xbox 360, but they say that a special edition of the console with built-in Natal support is still entirely possible.
Like i said before, i don´t believe that Microsoft will launch a new console next year, but if they do, it wouldn´t be that, just only that.
A new console, even if the diferences few and it not considered a new generation (because it will not be the case), will have some kind of upgrades to it, like i posted in the previous page.
A new console, JUST to have a built-in Natal would be stupid and no one would buy it.

Shaolin Kenobi said:
For now, the only thing TeamXbox will reveal at this time is that Microsoft doesn’t plan on launching a new console until “a certain type of television becomes more widespread, because in addition to built-in Natal tech, a key feature of the next Xbox would be full HD stereoscopic 3D visuals similar to 3D movie theatres.”
I can´t see that happening in the near future, not even close, because no one can expect people to buy a new TV just for gaming, when they can have a perfectly good LCD, Plasma, DLP or whatever.
But, then again, with Johnny Lee working with Microsoft on Natal, 3D is not that far-fetched, but not with the need to buy a new TV.

Last edited:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42919/118/

Rumors can be confirmed, as Ballmer stated openly during a speech on the recession to those in attendance at the Executives Club in Chicago, a new Xbox 360 will hit the store shelves in 2010.

The new device will be equipped with technology that is “really, really, close” to an actuality. The console, which was described as having a “natural interface,” will have a built in camera with the ability to recognize movement and voice.

With no official release, those were all of the details that were shared.

Not sure how reliable that is, but looks like the whole 360 with built in Natal theory is probably true

I'll stick with my 360 I bought in November of 07. I just have to get a larger hard drive for it.

Same here, but I'm assuming this is more for newer customers and eventually will become the norm on the shelves within a year or something.

I was going to post this :mad:

So, the plot thickens as Lex Luthor himself said that a new Xbox 360 will hit the store shelves in 2010.

It's just be a 360 with a built in Natal most likely. It'll probably be slimmed down, too

Last edited:
It's just be a 360 with a built in Natal most likely. It'll probably be slimmed down, too
I might be wrong, but i don´t believe that for a minute.
Besides, Natal built in would be, imo, stupid, as people would have to place a console a certain way for Natal to work properly and have a good viewing angle.
In fact, and based on the ability to scan stuff, Natal should be, or have a portable part to it, so anyone could go out and scan stuff and whatnot (i hope MS has the same idea).
Of course no one has seen the definitive version of it, so it might not be that stupid to have it built it.

But, if it´s true, if there will be indeed a "new" Xbox 360, i bet that there will be slightly higher specs, just like i posted before in this same thread.
And foward compabilty will be a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"