Microsoft extends Xbox 360 Warranty to three years; Refunds for all!!!

L.A.

Sidekick
Reaction score
Microsoft announced today they are extending all Xbox 360 warranties to three years, a policy that not only applies to new consoles but retroactively, as well. If you've had to pay for Microsoft to repair the red ring issue in the past, they will pay you back. At 2:30 p.m. PST, Microsoft will hold a teleconference to announce this.

"As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures," said the company in a statement. "Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers."
This comes just after 1UP's own story about a man who's gone through 12 different machines since purchasing an Xbox 360 near launch, reports overseas of companies refusing to repair the hardware because the load is so overwhelming and responses from the Forza Motorsport 2 team about users experiencing hardware failures while trying to play that game.
"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one. But, this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologize," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division. "We value our community tremendously and look at this as an investment in our customer base. We look forward to great things to come." Microsoft says they'll be taking a "$1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies." http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160812

Atleast they are doing something. This makes me less worried about my system thats almost a year old.

Still waiting for that three year warranty for my broken PS2s.

Microsoft 1, Zenien 0.

Way to make no sense little guy.

What if you bought a system from an online source? Ebay for example?

Way to make no sense little guy.

Oh, it makes plenty of sense. You tend to have this nagging little "Microsoft is a horrible company who doesn't care about their customers!" shtick going on, as of late. I'm making the point that, unlike Microsoft, Sony never offered money back for repairs or a three year warranty for the "poorly built" console known as the PS2.

So, I guess Microsoft isn't as heartless as you'd make them out to be. Especially since Sony has treated their customers like **** from the PS2 days. :cwink:

What if you bought a system from an online source? Ebay for example?

As long as it has it's warranty sticker (The ps2 had a sticker, i don't know what the xbox has) it should be fine.

Oh, it makes plenty of sense. You tend to have this nagging little "Microsoft is a horrible company who doesn't care about their customers!" shtick going on, as of late. I'm making the point that, unlike Microsoft, Sony never offered money back for repairs or a three year warranty for the "poorly built" console known as the PS2.

So, I guess Microsoft isn't as heartless as you'd make them out to be. Especially since Sony has treated their customers like **** from the PS2 days. :cwink:

Hm, well Sony did never offer refunds they did turn around an produce exceptionally solid devices with the PSP and PS3. They were never in a position where the failure rate was so large that they ahd to offer a 3 year full refund to quell the issue. Still instead of offering good build quality Microsoft will produce the 360 poorly as possible while still getting away with it and repairing the ones that do break.

Microsoft went from saying 'quality matters' with the Xbox, to 'let's make these as cheap as possible screw quality' with the 360. I never said SOny didn't treat people crappy with the PS2 failures, so you're off there, my main goal was to bring the issue into focus for those blissfully making themselves unaware. Had more people been like well basically everyone in the two threads I made, Microsoft wouldn't have to offer the 3 eyar refund in the first place.

Basically all this does is prove what you and others were so insistent wasn't a real problem, that it is a problem. You don't offer a 3 year refund for a piece of equipment that only has a 3-5 percent failure rate, and Microsoft has been lying the entire time regarding this issue. Their PR is hilarious for it.

That being said? GREAT for the consumers who have bought one. And goo for Microsoft even though to say that they did this out of good will would probably be stretching it (just like any large corporation).

It's about what really mattered Extro not whatever black and white version of them you think was being pushed.

Anything else ;)

Still waiting for that three year warranty for my broken PS2s.

Microsoft 1, Zenien 0.

That makes no sense at all on account that the Playstation 2 never had a reported 25% - 33% failure rate.

Anyways, good for Microsoft for admitting that this is a problem and doing what seems to be an excellent job to try and fix it.

Hm, well Sony did never offer refunds they did turn around an produce exceptionally solid devices with the PSP and PS3. They were never in a position where the failure rate was so large that they ahd to offer a 3 year full refund to quell the issue. Still instead of offering good build quality Microsoft will produce the 360 poorly as possible while still getting away with it and repairing the ones that do break.

Doesn't change the fact that they offered a console with absolutely poor as hell build quality with the PS2. Our first two broken ones serve as proof for this, and I'm willing to bet that the PS2's failure rate was monstrously high as well. And, what proof do you have that they won't fix the mistakes? They quite clearly stated they have looked into the reasons for such failures and have "fixed them".

Microsoft went from saying 'quality matters' with the Xbox, to 'let's make these as cheap as possible screw quality' with the 360. I never said SOny didn't treat people crappy with the PS2 failures, so you're off there, my main goal was to bring the issue into focus for those blissfully making themselves unaware. Had more people been like well basically everyone in the two threads I made, Microsoft wouldn't have to offer the 3 eyar refund in the first place.

That's great, but the fact that you're making thread after thread trying to demonize Microsoft is ridiculous. We got you the first time, loud and clear. I know for a ****ing fact if the PS3 had a failure rate of anything more than 15% and someone brought it up you'd ignore it anyways. You're not doing anything to "bring it to people's attention". You're doing it to try to wag it in other people's faces that "O, SONY FOR TEH WINZORZ!". It's out of fanboy-ism and spite. That's only compounded by the fact that you made multiple threads about the same exact ****ing thing.

Basically all this does is prove what you and others were so insistent wasn't a real problem, that it is a problem. You don't offer a 3 year refund for a piece of equipment that only has a 3-5 percent failure rate, and Microsoft has been lying the entire time regarding this issue. Their PR is hilarious for it.

Yeah, I think everyone knows the failure rate isn't only 5% by now. But somehow I doubt it is the highly publicized 25 to 30%. I say it still dips to, or below, the 20% line and much of these numbers are sensationalism.

It's about what really mattered Extro not whatever black and white version of them you think was being pushed.

Anything else ;)

Yes, it matters from the fact that they learned from their mistakes and were willing to compensate their customers. Which is much more than Sony would ever do. It's capitalism, of course they're doing it for damage control, but at least they chose to do it at all. They didn't have to offer such extreme reparations.

That makes no sense at all on account that the Playstation 2 never had a reported 25% - 33% failure rate.

Anyways, good for Microsoft for admitting that this is a problem and doing what seems to be an excellent job to try and fix it.

Hippie, first off, the reported 33% can almost definitively be written off as sensationalism. I doubt they are actually THAT high. They're still high, but not that high.

Secondly, the PS2 failed quite a bit as well. We have had three since it launched, the third hasn't been used since '03. That's about one a year. And I have heard even worse stories from many other people. The point is, if you'd pull your head out of your ass, is that the PS2 had an unusually high fail rate as well and Sony did nothing to compensate those who were experiencing problems.

Doesn't change the fact that they offered a console with absolutely poor as hell build quality with the PS2. Our first two broken ones serve as proof for this, and I'm willing to bet that the PS2's failure rate was monstrously high as well. And, what proof do you have that they won't fix the mistakes? They quite clearly stated they have looked into the reasons for such failures and have "fixed them".
I have a feeling that you just didn't take care of your Playstation 2's. I've had mine since 2001 and is still working perfectly. Hell, I am literally waiting for mine to break down that's how sturdy and reliable mine has been.

Yeah, I think everyone knows the failure rate isn't only 5% by now. But somehow I doubt it is the highly publicized 25 to 30%. I say it still dips to, or below, the 20% line and much of these numbers are sensationalism.
The fact that repair companies refused to repair anymore Xbox 360s, retailers raising the price of the warranties, and retailers stating that about a quarter to a third of the Xbox 360s came back is more than enough proof that this was a major problem.

But you know what, Microsoft is doing something to fix it and are offering a way to say sorry for selling a defected product (refunds for repairs and extended warranties) is more than enough.

Yes, it matters from the fact that they learned from their mistakes and were willing to compensate their customers. Which is much more than Sony would ever do. It's capitalism, of course they're doing it for damage control, but at least they chose to do it at all. They didn't have to offer such extreme reparations.
Actually Sony is recently admitting to their f**k ups. They pretty much s**t canned Kutaragi and they've admitted that their machine costs way too f**king much.

Again, good job for Microsoft for doing this. They needed to do something, but they didn't have to go this extreme as you said.

Hippie, first off, the reported 33% can almost definitively be written off as sensationalism. I doubt they are actually THAT high. They're still high, but not that high.
But when retailers raise the costs of warranties, repair companies refuse to repair Xbox 360s, and several retailers saying that up to that much are being returned. That can lead to the conclusion that it is more than sensationalism. Listen, I have no gripe against the Microsoft or it's Xbox 360, but it's obvious that there was a serious problem with this.

Secondly, the PS2 failed quite a bit as well. We have had three since it launched, the third hasn't been used since '03. That's about one a year. And I have heard even worse stories from many other people. The point is, if you'd pull your head out of your ass, is that the PS2 had an unusually high fail rate as well and Sony did nothing to compensate those who were experiencing problems.

1. You've been through three Playstation 2s. I'm still on my very first one, which I've had for over five years now. When I saw first hand shoddy Playstation 2s it was because the person didn't take care of it.

2. The Playstation 2 failures don't appear to be as dramatic as this or else we would have seen as much coverage on it as this.

3. Sony's been experiencing a few financial problems and have been rather arrogant due to the Playstation 2's success. Only an idiot would think that Sony would be as generous as Microsoft is being.

I have a feeling that you just didn't take care of your Playstation 2's. I've had mine since 2001 and is still working perfectly. Hell, I am literally waiting for mine to break down that's how sturdy and reliable mine has been.

I would like to point you back to every ****ing post that you've probably dismissed made by a Xbox 360 owner. "You're probably not taking good enough care of it", funny the choice of words. It's not unknown that their read lasers were of poor quality. And if setting it on a stone top next to your TV and playing it occasionally isn't taking good enough care of it, then I don't know what the hell I did wrong.

The fact that repair companies refused to repair anymore Xbox 360s, retailers raising the price of the warranties, and retailers stating that about a quarter to a third of the Xbox 360s came back is more than enough proof that this was a major problem.

I'm not saying it wasn't a major problem. Though, unless every major retailer is willing to recount their total number of units sold and then bring up the number of those consoles that have been returned out of that total (not including consoles that were sent out, "fixed", and then died again and sent in a second time) I will have my doubts.

Actually Sony is recently admitting to their f**k ups. They pretty much s**t canned Kutaragi and they've admitted that their machine costs way too f**king much.

Great, they admitted their machine cost too much. I'm making the point that when they actually did have a faulty machine, though, they didn't think twice about a longer warranty or giving people's money back for replacement funds.

I would like to point you back to every ****ing post that you've probably dismissed made by a Xbox 360 owner. "You're probably not taking good enough care of it", funny the choice of words. It's not unknown that their read lasers were of poor quality. And if setting it on a stone top next to your TV and playing it occasionally isn't taking good enough care of it, then I don't know what the hell I did wrong.
Well I've seen Playstation 2s that have failed and have seen that have lasted for quite a while for those particular reasons. Chances are that a lot of the Xbox 360s fail because people don't know how to take care of their products. But there have been reports of a shoddy cooling system, scratching disks, etc.

Great, they admitted their machine cost too much. I'm making the point that when they actually did have a faulty machine, though, they didn't think twice about a longer warranty or giving people's money back for replacement funds.
Dude, they've been acting like cockheads for a while no surprise there :o

But when retailers raise the costs of warranties, repair companies refuse to repair Xbox 360s, and several retailers saying that up to that much are being returned. That can lead to the conclusion that it is more than sensationalism. Listen, I have no gripe against the Microsoft or it's Xbox 360, but it's obvious that there was a serious problem with this.

Problems tend to only be magnified in light of the media. That is why I am saying that the numbers are definitely not more than quarter, probably closer to a fifth or lower. No one knows exactly how thorough those (that?) companies were in their report, or if the rise in the cost of warranties actually means that high of a fail rate. Or just an unusually high one.

1. You've been through three Playstation 2s. I'm still on my very first one, which I've had for over five years now. When I saw first hand shoddy Playstation 2s it was because the person didn't take care of it.

There are people who claim they've gone through three as well, and I'm still on my first Xbox 360 that I got over a year and a half ago. Does this automatically mean that anyone who is experiencing problems isn't taking good enough care of it as myself? Probably not.

2. The Playstation 2 failures don't appear to be as dramatic as this or else we would have seen as much coverage on it as this.

There were no "console wars" back then. Video gaming didn't have near as much place in the public eye as it does now, and there wasn't near as much spite in lieu of other console's successes. Quite frankly, PS2 wasn't under near as much scrutiny as the next-gen consoles are this time around.

3. Sony's been experiencing a few financial problems and have been rather arrogant due to the Playstation 2's success. Only an idiot would think that Sony would be as generous as Microsoft is being.

It still doesn't change the fact that Sony showed absolutely no remorse in a case where MS has chosen to not totally ignore the cries of customers and have actually taken a hit to gain back their trust.

Problems tend to only be magnified in light of the media. That is why I am saying that the numbers are definitely not more than quarter, probably closer to a fifth or lower. No one knows exactly how thorough those (that?) companies were in their report, or if the rise in the cost of warranties actually means that high of a fail rate. Or just an unusually high one.
Dude, there have been significant reports of this problem. Microsoft is fixing it, should there really be a debate here. The problem is being taken care of and rather well.

There are people who claim they've gone through three as well, and I'm still on my first Xbox 360 that I got over a year and a half ago. Does this automatically mean that anyone who is experiencing problems isn't taking good enough care of it as myself? Probably not.
I'm willing to bet that there are people who are not taking care of their Xbox 360's. But pretty much every time I've seen an old Playstation 2 work or fail, it was because of the way the person was taking care of it.

It still doesn't change the fact that Sony showed absolutely no remorse in a case where MS has chosen to not totally ignore the cries of customers and have actually taken a hit to gain back their trust.
And as I said, good job for Microsoft to show that they at least somewhat care about the consumer, which Sony hasn't done. Again, is this something that needs to be debated about.

Dude, there have been significant reports of this problem. Microsoft is fixing it, should there really be a debate here. The problem is being taken care of and rather well.

Yes, but it's stupid to be tossing around numbers when nobody knows. You can't say it's been failing 33% of the time when there's a few sketchy reports about it. Unless I see an actual thorough report done by a company that proves it, instead of a "Well, it maaay be around there" I'm not going to believe it's anything but spin.

I'm willing to bet that there are people who are not taking care of their Xbox 360's. But pretty much every time I've seen an old Playstation 2 work or fail, it was because of the way the person was taking care of it.

That's great for you, but we have had three Playstation 2s and I can tell you that we took much better care of ours than most of our friends did. And ours still broke anyways. Not all of the failures are due to care-taking problems. Some are just due to known problems with the machine.

Yes, but it's stupid to be tossing around numbers when nobody knows. You can't say it's been failing 33% of the time when there's a few sketchy reports about it. Unless I see an actual thorough report done by a company that proves it, instead of a "Well, it maaay be around there" I'm not going to believe it's anything but spin.
Isn't Microsoft saying that an unacceptable number of failures count?

That's great for you, but we have had three Playstation 2s and I can tell you that we took much better care of ours than most of our friends did. And ours still broke anyways. Not all of the failures are due to care-taking problems. Some are just due to known problems with the machine.
Well I'm going by everytime I've seen it, which is quite a few times. And sure, there is obviously going to be a faulty Playstation 2, but from what I've experienced and seen, the Playstation 2 is a rather good piece of hardware as long as it's taken care of.

Isn't Microsoft saying that an unacceptable number of failures count?

Yes. But unacceptable doesn't exactly mean one-third of all Xbox 360's are failing. That's what I'm trying to stress here. I'm not saying the fail rate isn't unusually high, because it is.. but there is little evidence to actually corroborate the one-third claim aside from retailers' "maybes".

My Ps2 (the one I have back home) has lasted for like 5 or 6 years, and damn, I've never had a problem :up:
I :heart: Ps2.

Yes. But unacceptable doesn't exactly mean one-third of all Xbox 360's are failing. That's what I'm trying to stress here. I'm not saying the fail rate isn't unusually high, because it is.. but there is little evidence to actually corroborate the one-third claim aside from retailers' "maybes".

But do you think that Microsoft would even admit to a 25% - 33% failure rate. Hell, they've had balls to get rid of their spin that it was the average 3% - 5% and it's something that Sony wouldn't have done. But no company is going to go out and say that.

Xtromaniak, way are you turning this move into 'Microsoft is a lovely company' move?

The high level of 360 failure rates where becoming more and more talked about to the extent Microsoft were worried the bad press could affect their future sales. They aren't extended the warranty because they feel for the consumer whose machine has broken. They're extending it because it will ease the fears of potential 360 purchasers who might otherwise be scared away by the alarming failure rate.

So no, Sony never did offer extended warranties, but then, they never had to. Their problems wasn't as big, and they didn't need to keep potential consumers sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"