Rumor: Nintendo tried to buy the rights to Harry Potter

XtremelyBaneful

xoxxxoooxo
Reaction score
When the company heard the Potter license was for sale, Nintendo reportedly halted development on Ridge Racer 64, Bionic Commando, and Crystalis to quickly prototype Potter games for the Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, and GameCube

Other companies bidding for the IP included Disney, Universal, and Warner Bros, with WB obtaining the rights in the end. Unseen64's source said Rowling turned down Nintendo in favor of its competitors because they were able to cover TV and film, as well as gaming. IGN Logo

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02...ames?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

get

Harry_Potter_Mario_Bros.gif

Meh. Not a huge loss on Nintendo's part.

Er, not getting the rights for one of the hugest and most profitable new franchises in the 21st century is kind of a big loss. Potter-mania was as big as something can get, having exclusive rights to the franchise for your game systems could've been huge. Especially if they could've gotten the rights for as cheap as WB (1 million pounds!? That's, I think, like less than 3 million American dollars, that was a steal for the amount of money they've probably made on video games alone).

Of course, I understand why Rowling didn't sell, if they were apparently wanting the entire franchise rights. Selling to a company that has fingers in a variety of medias is a much smarter move. Considering her views on comics, I'm kind of surprised she was even entertaining an offer from an exclusively video game centric company.

Last edited:
If anyone could crack the MMO potential of Harry Potter, they will make billions.

Nintendo would have just made games about Harry Potter. They wouldn't have gotten in on all that movie money.

Yeah, but the video games were really successful too, they could've made a very successful franchise out that. I'm sure they probably would've been able to be more creative with it, too, then just doing straight adaptations of the films. That could've legitimately been a system seller really. Potter-mania was legit.

Yeah. As you guys have said, Potter was better off without Nintendo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"