May 2006 Hardware and Software sales: The Empire Strikes Back

VaderRISE said:
Navi is also an exclusive to the Wii

That right there is enough to make me want to stick with the Gamecube Version. I hated Navi in OOT :down

I never found Navy annoying in OoT, like ever. In fact I enjoyed her company in OoT! But having her as a mouse pointer on the screen ALL THE TIME SHOWING WHERE YOU'RE POINTING (So it's always moving and distracting!) like violates the principles of my religon. :(

http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=9872

NINTENDO NEWS: NINTENDO DS CONTINUES TO DOMINATE PORTABLE VIDEO GAMES

June 14, 2006

With two of the nation's top-selling games and a hot new look to the hardware, the global Nintendo DS phenomenon has become more popular than ever. New Super Mario Bros. ® and Brain Age™: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day for Nintendo DS™ ranked as the No. 1 and No. 3 best-selling games of May, according to the independent NPD Group. And early reports from major retailers indicate that those same titles are being scooped up with the new Nintendo DS™ Lite in advance of Father's Day.

* After going on sale May 15, New Super Mario Bros. sold at a nonstop rate of roughly one every four seconds nationwide during the reporting period.

* New Super Mario Bros. emerged as the No. 1 game of the month, even though it was in stores for just 13 days of the four-week reporting period.

DS Lite Shines Bright:

* Just two days after Nintendo DS Lite went on sale in the United States on June 11, the new lighter, brighter portable system sold more than 136,500 units, with many retail outlets reporting sellouts.

* By comparison, DS Lite is outpacing 2003's launch sales of Nintendo's juggernaut Game Boy® Advance SP by more than 12 percent.

* Major retailers report that sales of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day tripled over the previous week.

* Retailers also report that New Super Mario Bros. ® sales doubled over the previous week.

WhatsHisFace said:
No, I'm blaming Nintendo for the area the fell short in last generation, which was their first-party lineup. They gave a Mario and Zelda that the masses didn't want, though fans pretended they were genious enhancements to the series, though they would have no-doubt been happier with what the masses wanted.
Super Mario Sunshine's only problem was the camera and if you ignore the cel-shaded graphics, the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is a very good game. The best Gannondorf battle ever.

From right out of the gate they were weak with Luigi's Mansion and other obscure concepts like "Super Monkey Ball". After a few months they released a quickly retooled Dinosaur Planet as Starfox Adventures, and it went downhill all the way to the draught we have now.
The Gamecube has many great games such as: the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Resident Evil series, and Metroid Prime series.

For a developer as amazing as Nintendo EAD, it's abnormal for them to not have the best game on their system. Resident Evil 4, which is by far the best Gamecube game, was developed and published by Capcom, a third party studio who eventually took the game multiplatform, but that's beside the point.
The Playstation 2 version of Resident Evil 4 was not as much fun as the Gamecube version (I got way too used to the Gamecube controls) and not as pretty as the Gamecube version. Capcom sucks for how they screwed Nintendo over. Heres to hoping that they'll make Resident Evil 5 for the Wii also.

The point is that if Nintendo gave the people what they want -- because business is afterall, trying to please the largest crowd possible -- they would not have fallen to where they are today.
Nintendo does give what the people want. The people want the Legend of Zelda. The people want Mario. The people want innovation. Thus, Nintendo giveth to them.

They only needed to look at what carried them the N64/PSOne generation: Mario 64, Zelda, and a whole lot of Rare games.
That's because all the 3rd parties ran off to Sony. Don't forget Starfox 64, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart 64, and Super Smash Bros.

What they did last generation was release with no Mario, eventually releasing a subpar adventure but only after selling Rare to Microsoft (though I will admit Rare isn't releasing the super-quality games they used to) and eventually releasing a Zelda that didn't pull in the mass crowds and only sold a fraction of what Ocarina of Time did.
The only reason why people b***h about the Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was because of the graphics. BIG F**KING DEAL! The game rocked!

Now, trying to climb back up, instead of doing what the winning companies are doing (and they're winning for a reason: remember the business lession) they are getting more obscure on somewhat low ambition. The Wii is doing a great job of preaching to the choir and stirring internet hype, but if internet hype was proportional to the real world, games sales would be practically inverted and TV programming would be much different.
Except recent polling outside of the internet shows that the Wii is comming on top.

No one is seeing it coming, but no one's really thinking either. This generation isn't going to hit a lightswitch, it's just going to be a progression of where the last console generation let off: Microsoft catching up to Sony, and Nintendo slipping further into third.
I honestly think that Microsoft is going to slip into third. The Playstation 3 will come out on top simply because it is a Playstation and has the franchises that only appear on the Playstation brand: Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, God of War, etc. However, I do think that Sony's margin of victory will be much smaller than what happened between the Playstation 2 and its competitors. The Xbox 360 is doing worse than the Xbox did in Japan. And the Wii offers something different at a much lower price.

GoldenAgeHero said:
http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=9872

NINTENDO NEWS: NINTENDO DS CONTINUES TO DOMINATE PORTABLE VIDEO GAMES

June 14, 2006

With two of the nation's top-selling games and a hot new look to the hardware, the global Nintendo DS phenomenon has become more popular than ever. New Super Mario Bros. ® and Brain Age™: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day for Nintendo DS™ ranked as the No. 1 and No. 3 best-selling games of May, according to the independent NPD Group. And early reports from major retailers indicate that those same titles are being scooped up with the new Nintendo DS™ Lite in advance of Father's Day.

* After going on sale May 15, New Super Mario Bros. sold at a nonstop rate of roughly one every four seconds nationwide during the reporting period.

* New Super Mario Bros. emerged as the No. 1 game of the month, even though it was in stores for just 13 days of the four-week reporting period.

DS Lite Shines Bright:

* Just two days after Nintendo DS Lite went on sale in the United States on June 11, the new lighter, brighter portable system sold more than 136,500 units, with many retail outlets reporting sellouts.

* By comparison, DS Lite is outpacing 2003's launch sales of Nintendo's juggernaut Game Boy® Advance SP by more than 12 percent.

* Major retailers report that sales of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day tripled over the previous week.

* Retailers also report that New Super Mario Bros. ® sales doubled over the previous week.

The Nintendo DS is going to come out on top in June over the Playstation Portable because of the Nintendo DS Lite and New Super Mario Bros.

hippie_hunter said:
I honestly think that Microsoft is going to slip into third.
Wow! 360 rocks, loll!a!

Oh crap! 600$ I can't buy one since the PS3 is too expensive! Xbox sucks! Third place!

TheCardPlayer said:
Wow! 360 rocks, loll!a!

Oh crap! 600$ I can't buy one since the PS3 is too expensive! Xbox sucks! Third place!

I'm not saying this as an Xbox hater (I hated the original Xbox but I do indeed like the Xbox 360). I am saying this because the Playstation brand is a very successful brand with so far three very successful products (Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation Portable) and that the Xbox brand doesn't have as many exclusive game series as the Playstation does. Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Tekken, and Final Fantasy outweigh Halo and Dead or Alive.

If it weren't for Nintendo's impressive showing, I would have put the Xbox 360 in second just like it was last generation. But Nintendo definetly will not end up in third again.

hippie_hunter said:
I'm not saying this as an Xbox hater (I hated the original Xbox but I do indeed like the Xbox 360). I am saying this because the Playstation brand is a very successful brand with so far three very successful products (Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation Portable) and that the Xbox brand doesn't have as many exclusive game series as the Playstation does. Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Tekken, and Final Fantasy outweigh Halo and Dead or Alive.

If it weren't for Nintendo's impressive showing, I would have put the Xbox 360 in second just like it was last generation. But Nintendo definetly will not end up in third again.

Hippie, You forgot Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Jade Empire, etc, for Xbox exclusives. :o

XwolverineX said:
Hippie, You forgot Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Jade Empire, etc, for Xbox exclusives. :o

Ninja Gaiden 2 hasn't even been confirmed and if it is, it will probally end up on the Playstation 3 also.

Knights of the Old Republic III hasn't been confirmed and I'm starting to doubt it will be.

Jade Empire 2 hasn't been confirmed.

I'm talking about games that have had multiple successful sequels, will definetly appear as an Xbox 360 exclusive, Dead or Alive and Halo are those. The games you mentioned have the potential to be but haven't yet.

hippie_hunter said:
Ninja Gaiden 2 hasn't even been confirmed and if it is, it will probally end up on the Playstation 3 also.

Knights of the Old Republic III hasn't been confirmed and I'm starting to doubt it will be.

Jade Empire 2 hasn't been confirmed.

I'm talking about games that have had multiple successful sequels, will definetly appear as an Xbox 360 exclusive, Dead or Alive and Halo are those. The games you mentioned have the potential to be but haven't yet.

Okay, I get what ya mean now. Yes, Sony does have most my most looked forwars to exclusives, and my favorite series at that. MGS, DMC, FF, and KH. :( That's why I need money.

I really don't know why Nintendo fanboys think they will be number one again...

I mean Wii LOOKS interesting, but I would be HIGHLY surprised if it does better than third place again.....

But never say never. If it turns out as well as it could potentially,, who knows?

Horrorfan said:
I really don't know why Nintendo fanboys think they will be number one again...

I mean Wii LOOKS interesting, but I would be HIGHLY surprised if it does better than third place again.....

But never say never. If it turns out as well as it could potentially,, who knows?

With the failure of the Xbox 360 in the Japanese market, the Japanese market's embrace of the Nintendo DS, the unique innovation of the Wii, the games of the Wii, and the Wii's price tag of $200.00 compared to the Xbox 360's $399.00 price tag and the Playstation 3's $599.00 price tag. I would be highly surprised if it did end up in third. Nintendo is not going to be put in third place this time around. I bet it'll end up in second in a very close margin with both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

I'm not going to make any predictions about the place they'll finish in, but I will predict that Revolution lifetime sales > Gamecube lifetime sales.

hippie_hunter said:
With the failure of the Xbox 360 in the Japanese market, the Japanese market's embrace of the Nintendo DS, the unique innovation of the Wii, the games of the Wii, and the Wii's price tag of $200.00 compared to the Xbox 360's $399.00 price tag and the Playstation 3's $599.00 price tag. I would be highly surprised if it did end up in third. Nintendo is not going to be put in third place this time around. I bet it'll end up in second in a very close margin with both the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Japan, when it come's down to it, couldn't save Nintendo from finishing last place last gen, and second place before that (with only two major consoles).

It will do well in Japan, like it always does, but I don't give a **** about Japan, and it didn't really help Nintendo last two gens anyway. so I don't see how a marginally more powerful console than gamecube with a glorified light gun will come top this gen.

Horrorfan said:
Japan, when it come's down to it, couldn't save Nintendo from finishing last place last gen, and second place before that (with only two major consoles).

It will do well in Japan, like it always does, but I don't give a **** about Japan, and it didn't really help Nintendo last two gens anyway. so I don't see how a marginally more powerful console than gamecube with a glorified light gun will come top this gen.

I say this because the Japanese market is the reason why the Nintendo DS is winning the handheld market despite the Playstation Portable slightly leading in sales in North America and Europe. And the Wii offers brand new gameplay than the same old gameplay we've had forever.

I also say this because the Xbox 360 is an even bigger failure in Japan than the Xbox and having a year ahead of the Playstation 3 and Wii appears to have not really done much for Microsoft like launching the Playstation 2 ahead of the Xbox and Gamecube did for Sony.

hippie_hunter said:
I say this because the Japanese market is the reason why the Nintendo DS is winning the handheld market despite the Playstation Portable slightly leading in sales in North America and Europe. And the Wii offers brand new gameplay than the same old gameplay we've had forever.

I also say this because the Xbox 360 is an even bigger failure in Japan than the Xbox and having a year ahead of the Playstation 3 and Wii appears to have not really done much for Microsoft like launching the Playstation 2 ahead of the Xbox and Gamecube did for Sony.

It might happen, but handheld has always been bigger than console in Japan right?

I still don't think wii has the 'wow' factor to be number one, but its a possibility.

Horrorfan said:
It might happen, but handheld has always been bigger than console in Japan right?

I still don't think wii has the 'wow' factor to be number one, but its a possibility.

Wii definately has the ' WOW, ZOMFG!!11 ' Factor, imo. :confused::up:

XwolverineX said:
Wii definately has the ' WOW, ZOMFG!!11 ' Factor, imo. :confused::up:

yeah but you got Dante on your most bad ass list too so...;)

Dont get me wrong, wii has potential, but I'm not quite convinced yet that it's more than a gamecube with a gimmick.

Horrorfan said:

Within the context of this sort of dicussion not one gives a **** about your market preference.

The gameboy 'did well' the Gameboy Advance 'did well', the DS is the fastest selling game hardware in Japanese history, and it has definately made a difference for Nintendo in the DS/PSP wars. The PSP 'does well' in Japan, it does GBA comparable levels, the DS 'does outstanding'. Nintendo consoles 'do well' in Japan, but I think you're seriously underestimating the importance that the Japanese market can hold when they go bat**** insane over a product. The DS and Wii have synergy, I'm expecting the Wii to do very well in Japan, (more specific predictions removed due to fears of jinxing).

Zenien said:
Within the context of this sort of dicussion not one gives a **** about your market preference.

The gameboy 'did well' the Gameboy Advance 'did well', the DS is the fastest selling game hardware in Japanese history, and it has definately made a difference for Nintendo in the DS/PSP wars. The PSP 'does well' in Japan, it does GBA comparable levels, the DS 'does outstanding'. Nintendo consoles 'do well' in Japan, but I think you're seriously underestimating the importance that the Japanese market can hold when they go bat**** insane over a product. The DS and Wii have synergy, I'm expecting the Wii to do very well in Japan, (more specific predictions removed due to fears of jinxing).
I never knew you were superstitious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"