Rumor: Superman TV Series in development at The CW?!

They refuse to give him his own film at the moment because of some misplaced notion that Henry's Superman is not worth effort and then they choose to not give Tyler's Superman a chance on his own show despite the large amount of positive responses that he has gotten.

f2wfhvryipzy.gif

Screen Rant contacted WBTV and confirmed the report is false. Bummer!
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Depending on how early in development (or talks) this is, they're hardly likely to confirm it until they've something more substantial planned.

It's easier for them to say no and then release something and surprise everyone, than it is for them to say yes, and then the project/show doesn't get off the ground.

They are waiting for the reaction to Lois and Luthor. If those two get thumbs up from the critics and fans, I think it's a done deal for the Superman spinoff. It makes sense that they keep quite until then.

I would watch the hell out of a superman series. I think hoelchin is the best superman we’ve seen in ages and I would love to see more

We alread had Smallville and there hasn't been a live-action Batman series since Adam West so I really doubt they are going to let either show up on television again, outside the small appearances on Supergirl.

My avatar may be Cavill, but Tom Welling is forever in my mind as the small screen Superman and Hoechlin has done nothing in the role to change that. He feels like a grown up Superboy to me and nothing more. Maybe it's his stage presence. Maybe it's the costume.

Hate the idea of him possibly leading a Superman TV series.

To me Tom Welling will never be Superman and even though I love the show Smallville I hated or disliked the fact that Welling would never put on the suit. I also disliked the fact the last episode of Smallville was supposed to be a Superman tv movie with him putting the suit on at the start of the finale but because he didn't want to wear it everything was done at the end of the show. So that and also the fact that he would go out of his way to say he was never Superman just Clark Kent makes me not see him as Superman.

Hoechlin is my favourite small screen Superman so far. I dislike the costume though.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Depending on how early in development (or talks) this is, they're hardly likely to confirm it until they've something more substantial planned.

It's easier for them to say no and then release something and surprise everyone, than it is for them to say yes, and then the project/show doesn't get off the ground.

That is true.

I know Krypton is currently using him, and he’s rumoured for the Supergirl film, but I wonder if Brainiac could eventually appear in the Arrowverse if this show does happen.

Would be pretty cool, but it would be hard to top the quality makeup and CGI for Krypton’s version.
Brainiac is already on Supergirl.

But which version of Brainiac. There could be another evil Brainiac that AI has so many moral mood swings.

I'd love for a Hoechlin SM show. I don't really feel Smallville was Superman in the fullest sense, and with Cavill's departure and no focus on SM on the film side (AFAWK right now) it makes perfect sense to bring him to TV for some time.

Screen Rant contacted WBTV and confirmed the report is false. Bummer! :(
Where did they say that? Because the update from them I read said that they reached out to WB for comment. Nothing about WB answering. Then they ALSO confirmed that the source has had false scoops in the past. Nothing about WB having anything to do with that confirmation. Anyone can do that "confirmation" with a Google search, since this is the same site that recently reported the Batgirl show, which was apparently bogus. I feel like Screenrant's choice to put those two sentences next to each other in their update has given people the impression that WB debunked it when they reached out to them, and that's not what they wrote at all.

I mean, it's probably false, but I don't think it's been debunked.

Last edited:
Ok now that’s a debunking, lol.

CBR says that Supes’ appearance in the crossover IS NOT a backdoor pilot. And it speculates that the source of confusion may be due to Batwoman’s appearance in the crossover:

…“Elseworlds” is intended to serve as a backdoor pilot for a solo Batwoman series…

But strictly speaking, this isn’t true either. According to reports, the CW has ordered a conventional pilot for Batwoman that, apparently, begins filming shortly after “Elseworlds” is completed. Nothing “backdoor” about it. Whether a series order is given depends, as is typical, on how the pilot turns out.

CBR says that Supes’ appearance in the crossover IS NOT a backdoor pilot. And it speculates that the source of confusion may be due to Batwoman’s appearance in the crossover:

…“Elseworlds” is intended to serve as a backdoor pilot for a solo Batwoman series…

But strictly speaking, this isn’t true either. According to reports, the CW has ordered a conventional pilot for Batwoman that, apparently, begins filming shortly after “Elseworlds” is completed. Nothing “backdoor” about it. Whether a series order is given depends, as is typical, on how the pilot turns out.
It's the same thing with The Flash. Backdoor pilot is more of an in-story denotion rather than waiting to see the demand for something.
They're simply shooting down if Superman & other characters associated with him who will be introduced in this crossover are getting spun off into their own series.

They're simply shooting down... [ ] Superman & other characters...getting spun off into their own series.

I get that. Fair enough.

I can’t say I’ve been all that impressed by the previous crossovers. I guess it’s fun and fan service-y to see all the heroes appear in the same adventure. But I find this novelty wears off pretty quickly; and IMO the actual narratives are (or at least have been) somewhat bloated and underwhelming.

So given this typically jam packed agenda (of main stars/heroes, their supporting casts, introduction of a Big Bad™ and the setup/exposition of an Evil Scheme™ that’s so catastrophic it justifies a rare/cross-dimensional superhero team-up), I’m skeptical that special guests like Superman, Lois Lane and Batwoman will get much focus.

Now, apparently, Supes/CK will appear in all three crossover episodes and Lois will appear in two. That at least sounds promising. It’s less of an issue, I think, with Batwoman - who’s already assured of a more proper “audition” in the announced Batwoman pilot.

I get that. Fair enough.

I can’t say I’ve been all that impressed by the previous crossovers. I guess it’s fun and fan service-y to see all the heroes appear in the same adventure. But I find this novelty wears off pretty quickly; and IMO the actual narratives are (or at least have been) somewhat bloated and underwhelming.

So given this typically jam packed agenda (of main stars/heroes, their supporting casts, introduction of a Big Bad™ and the setup/exposition of an Evil Scheme™ that’s so catastrophic it justifies a rare/cross-dimensional superhero team-up), I’m skeptical that special guests like Superman, Lois Lane and Batwoman will get much focus.

Now, apparently, Supes/CK will appear in all three crossover episodes and Lois will appear in two. That at least sounds promising. It’s less of an issue, I think, with Batwoman - who’s already assured of a more proper “audition” in the announced Batwoman pilot.
Plus, the Legends are staying out this time. I like the annual crossovers because some way somehow Arrow ends up having the best ep in an insanely long time.
What's jam packed about this one is that they'll be showing off the multiverse when the last one was just between the main one and Earth X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"