Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

When I think about MOS's take on Jor-el versus Brando's characterization, they're such polar opposites of each other.

In the Donner Version, Jor-el basically condemned Clark to live an lonely life and gave him the guilt trip on how him wanting a happy life for himself was considered selfish and that he needs to be an hero all the time.

Whereas Crowe's Jor-el seems to only encourage Clark and wants him to decide on his own on what he (Clark) should become.
After sending him to place where he will be a God. :cwink:

When I think about MOS's take on Jor-el versus Brando's characterization, they're such polar opposites of each other.

In the Donner Version, Jor-el basically condemned Clark to live an lonely life and gave him the guilt trip on how him wanting a happy life for himself was considered selfish and that he needs to be an hero all the time.

Whereas Crowe's Jor-el seems to only encourage Clark and wants him to decide on his own on what he (Clark) should become.

The Crowe's version of Jor-EL is very similar to Superman: The Animated Series .

It still surprises me to this day that Rusty took on this role.

It still surprises me to this day that Rusty took on this role.

Indeed, especially after hearing him say on how he would have never seen himself appearing in any form of an comic book genre film and that he hasn't seen the original Superman film due to how he thought the costumes, particularly the kryptonian ones, looked like crap.

Indeed, especially after hearing him say on how he would have never seen himself appearing in any form of an comic book genre film and that he hasn't seen the original Superman film due to how he thought the costumes, particularly the kryptonian ones, looked like crap.

He took on the role because he loved the script I believe.

The cynical part of me thinks he took on this role simply because Brando did.

This is not just a comic book role...This is Superman! Nothing comes close to that. PERIOD.
Even though both actors have joked about their roles, thankfully Brando and Crowe understood the influence and meaning of the GREATEST comic book character of all.

Last edited:
This is not just a comic book role...This is Superman! Nothing comes close to that. PERIOD.
Even though both actors have joked about their roles, thankfully Brando and Crowe understood the influence and meaning of the GREATEST comic book character of all.

I love that Brando liked the S enough to want it on his chest and come up with a reason it was there. :D

Wow Crowe was BOSS as Jor-El he was fantastic in the role and totally added more to the role than just a voice from the past.

No way! Marlon will always be TOPS even though Russell is my favorite present day actor!!

Seeing the film tonight.

Crowe was awesome as Jor-El. and it was nice to see he played such a prominent role after originally thinking his role would be much smaller.

Yeah, come back after you see it Jim-El. Russel Crowe plays a full character, not just a plot device... though he does end up being a plot device eventually.

Russell Crowe kicked Brandon in the gonads.

Remember people, Marlon Brando thought he was above being in a Superman movie and only did so for a huge paycheck in which he didn't even take time to memorize his lines. What a *****e.

Russell Crowe on the other hand is a Superman fan. Hell, he used his clout following Gladiator to get a look at the script that was in production at the time written by William Wisher. Turned out to be a piece of garbage, but Crowe was interested in playing the man of steel.

Yeah, come back after you see it Jim-El. Russel Crowe plays a full character, not just a plot device... though he does end up being a plot device eventually.

I agree with this. And although utilized in the manner stated above, I also agree he was a fully fleshed out character with clear motives and ambitions. Jor El had a bigger role in this movie than I originally thought. Which I didn't mind one bit.

On a side note, while the movie is still fresh in my brain,

anyone else notice how much ass Jor El kicks? Literally. He was under armed guard yet managed to beat the **** out of like four of his captors, and shot at least another two dead. Then he proceeded to beat up General Zod. I know Jor El was specifically bread to be a scientist, but he scientifically beat down like upwards of a half dozen Kryptonians. Like a boss.

I agree with this. And although utilized in the manner stated above, I also agree he was a fully fleshed out character with clear motives and ambitions. Jor El had a bigger role in this movie than I originally thought. Which I didn't mind one bit.

On a side note, while the movie is still fresh in my brain,

anyone else notice how much ass Jor El kicks? Literally. He was under armed guard yet managed to beat the **** out of like four of his captors, and shot at least another two dead. Then he proceeded to beat up General Zod. I know Jor El was specifically bread to be a scientist, but he scientifically beat down like upwards of a half dozen Kryptonians. Like a boss.

Yes, russel crowe was a beast in the beginning. I loved the zod/jor-el fight. Russel crowe really shined in this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"