Sam Raimi - 'Drag Me To Hell'

I heard someone say its 6 seconds longer, i don't know if thats true or not.

CBR has some interesting parallels between Drag Me to Hell and a story from EC's Haunt of Fear #21 at http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/08/13/comic-book-legends-revealed-220/

Certainly there are some significant differences, like the woman not literally being dragged to hell. And EC certainly wasn't shy about lifting things, it wouldn't exactly be shocking if EC lifted the ending setting from Casting the Runes which was the basis for Curse of the Demon. So, I think it's fair to say that it's merely similar, not plagiarism.

That said, Raimi has almost certainly read EC's horror stories. So, it wouldn't strike me as wrong to call that particular story an influence, conscious or subconscious.

I hope the unrated version is a bit longer, and a bit gorier as well, will definately be getting this on blu-ray.

I hope the unrated version is a bit longer, and a bit gorier as well, will definately be getting this on blu-ray.
I wouldn't hold out for that. I heard from people who've seen The R rated version, say its not that much of a R rated film.

Raimi said that there was only a less than 10 second difference between the R-rated and Pg-13 cuts...it won't be gory.

I just saw this flick, and enjoyed it alot. The shock at the end with the envelope twist was a nice touch.

Raimi said that there was only a less than 10 second difference between the R-rated and Pg-13 cuts...it won't be gory.
Its prolly something stupid like goo or some other stupid thing they had to cut. Or maybe the blood scene. Or the thing that she rams in the woman's mouth.

^Agreed with both of you, this will be awesome on blu-ray, especially trying to spot more details on the Lamia.

I saw today Drag Me to Hell. I must admit I didn't like it at all. Is a well crafted film, the atmosphere and the concept is there, but it didn't fly for me. I didn't expect for this film to be a mix of Comedy and Horror, so that is maybe the reason I wasn't fully satisfied with this.

From some sites I have readed, it seems that every thing in this movie was on purpouse, the story, the "B Movie" tone, the comedy, etc. So I can understand the movie better now, it is just that the comedy didn't go along with me. I was more grossed out than scared, yet I admit that I really got scared sometimes.

I found something awkward, like the anvil in her garage, what the heck was that thing tied up up there?. Or the fly in her nose, or the Muppet goat, or the dancing possesed man. I am maybe beeing a little nitpicky, but at first those things were out of place.

I was expecting a full horror film, so that may have been my mistake, I need to rewatch this. So for now is a well made film which didn't went with me.

I am sorry, I haven't. But from the film somehow it remind me of Darkman, I know it isn't a horror film but is the only film from Raimi I have seen before Spider-Man (That I am aware of).

You'd be accustomed to the off beat humor if you'd seen some of his earlier work. Guess it's not for everyone.

Problem being celtic, is that a director should be trying to grow & change & develop over such a long career. You shouldn't have to see his earlier works to enjoy a movie. I personally find his style horrendous & overated. IMO he makes fluffy crap with childish comedy elements & horror that feel more gross than scary. I find his Evil Dead movies a complete predictable borefest. Everyone bows before this Drag Me To Hell movie but fail to see how predictable it is through blind devotion to a man who I feel never deserved it. In short I feel any man who can't change & grow through his career is undeserved of the attention he gets. Give MCG **** all you guys want but alteast he tries different thing's & different styles.

Steve

But drag me to hell isnt trying to be a quality film....its just suppose to be straight up fun.

Its like Iron man...that movie is predictable as hell but its still lots of fun.
I enjoyed this movie a lot. I hope that most people dont take it too seriously though.
It gets an 8/10 from me.

And even though McG has "changed" through out your career (as you say)...I still think he sucks and he hasn't made a decent film since Charlie's Angles 1

Problem being celtic, is that a director should be trying to grow & change & develop over such a long career. You shouldn't have to see his earlier works to enjoy a movie. I personally find his style horrendous & overated. IMO he makes fluffy crap with childish comedy elements & horror that feel more gross than scary. I find his Evil Dead movies a complete predictable borefest. Everyone bows before this Drag Me To Hell movie but fail to see how predictable it is through blind devotion to a man who I feel never deserved it. In short I feel any man who can't change & grow through his career is undeserved of the attention he gets. Give MCG **** all you guys want but alteast he tries different thing's & different styles.

Steve

To be honest, I agree about The Evil Dead movies, I dont understand the praise they get and dont love any were near as much as others do. But I thought Drag Me To Hell was superb.

I'm a peculiar case.

Outside of the spidey films, Drag Me to Hell was my first Raimi horror flick, yet I still completely enjoyed that off beat and dark humor.

Then I went out and rented Evil Dead and I'm working on seeing the other 2 in the series. I can understand this not being for everyone, but I didn't have to see the first movies to enjoy the humor, I just did. I just assumed that might help people who aren't into the same Raimi humor.

I'm a peculiar case.

Outside of the spidey films, Drag Me to Hell was my first Raimi horror flick, yet I still completely enjoyed that off beat and dark humor.

Then I went out and rented Evil Dead and I'm working on seeing the other 2 in the series. I can understand this not being for everyone, but I didn't have to see the first movies to enjoy the humor, I just did. I just assumed that might help people who aren't into the same Raimi humor.

ive seen all three evil dead films and love them but i have to say that the first one is my personal favorite

and people who have seen it, if you watch any of the Spiderman movies Rami put several evil dead moments

I saw today Drag Me to Hell. I must admit I didn't like it at all. Is a well crafted film, the atmosphere and the concept is there, but it didn't fly for me. I didn't expect for this film to be a mix of Comedy and Horror, so that is maybe the reason I wasn't fully satisfied with this.

From some sites I have readed, it seems that every thing in this movie was on purpouse, the story, the "B Movie" tone, the comedy, etc. So I can understand the movie better now, it is just that the comedy didn't go along with me. I was more grossed out than scared, yet I admit that I really got scared sometimes.

I found something awkward, like the anvil in her garage, what the heck was that thing tied up up there?. Or the fly in her nose, or the Muppet goat, or the dancing possesed man. I am maybe beeing a little nitpicky, but at first those things were out of place.

I was expecting a full horror film, so that may have been my mistake, I need to rewatch this. So for now is a well made film which didn't went with me.

Yup, all those things describe a typical Raimi horror film.

If you watch Evil Dead 1, 2, Army of Darkness, they are all filmed with this cheesy B-style horror-slapstick style.

When Lohman gets into the car in the parking structure, she gets into this funny fist-fight with the gypsy. It reminds me when Bruce Campbell gets thrown down the well, and gets punched like he's in a boxing match by some witch in Army of Darkness.

The ending is completely consistent. In Army of Darkness, Bruce screws up saying the spell and now the undead have followed him to S-Mart. Lohman screws up the coin-button and gets pulled down to hell.

However, I really liked Rham Jas character who was really trying to help Christine -- He didn't really want to tell her the ultimate solution (which was to trade the button to another person). I liked that Christine didn't want to just give it to another person. That's why I think karma will have Christine fighting her way out of hell. Maybe Raimi will do a sequel.

Silly me, I forgot to post here after seeing the movie.

Loved it. It was fun and all but the end added extra points to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"