Legends Save the Old Republic history of the EU

SavetheOldRepub

Civilian
Reaction score
I personally love the EU and almost everything about it. The Yuuzhan Vong, Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Legacy storyline with Jacen as Darth Caedus were all pretty great. And if Disney chooses to disregard it I hate them for doing it but I understand it. They want to make a clean start without the clutter of the existing star wars universe.

What I don’t understand however is why they feel the need to completely erase the old republic as well. The existing old republic stories including Revan and others are some of my favorites.

If Disney kept the old republic history alive it would be a conciliatory gesture towards the existing star wars fan base. More importantly, the existence of this history doesn’t interefere with the continuity of the six movies or the upcoming trilogy.

I created a facebook page dedicated to this and ask that you all join. The link is below. Thank You.

https://www.facebook.com/SavetheStarWarsOldRepublicEUHistory?ref=br_tf

Great gesture man! Liked the page already! As far as I see Disney's not looking to make KOTOR into a real thing either by TV show or spin-off film so why erase it out right now? They could have just decided to be periodically systematic about it. The unfortunate thing I've learned here though is that SHH isn't very kind to fans of the EU, some of the users here always antagonize EU fans. Heck people on other forums specifically called out SuperHeroHype for dissing fans.

You should also join this group too on Facebook. We have similar views to you as well.

The Alliance To Preserve The Expanded Universe

I honestly think that Disney/EA are going to eventually remake KOTOR, so I'm really not worried about the Old Republic Era. While it's currently not canon, it's essentially the one EU work that Disney is kinda sorta respecting by allowing the Old Republic MMO to continue and releasing KOTOR on iOS.

And as much as I loved the Expanded Universe, honestly, almost all of it needed to go for the direction of the franchise to where it is one cohesive narrative and all aspects of canon are treated equally. While it sucks to see the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire go away, it was a necessary sacrifice. That said, there are somethings that Disney should have kept the Lucas-approved works like Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Force Unleashed, and Shadows of the Empire.

Nope. It needs to go. There were some good stories in that era (like KotOR and TotJ) but TOR pretty much destroyed the era as a whole. Plus there is the fact that technology in these eras is virtually the same as in the film and everything looks quite similar. When Disney does begin exploring the Old Republic Era hopefully they go with unique designs that look very different and archaic from the films. TCW began setting this up with the designs for Darth Bane and the Darksaber. Hopefully, Disney will follow those examples.

Great gesture man! Liked the page already! As far as I see Disney's not looking to make KOTOR into a real thing either by TV show or spin-off film so why erase it out right now? They could have just decided to be periodically systematic about it. The unfortunate thing I've learned here though is that SHH isn't very kind to fans of the EU, some of the users here always antagonize EU fans. Heck people on other forums specifically called out SuperHeroHype for dissing fans.

You should also join this group too on Facebook. We have similar views to you as well.

The Alliance To Preserve The Expanded Universe

Already did.

That was actually the page that originally gave me the idea.

Nah. Disney did the smart thing. Clearing the field gives them the most options. And the stuff will still be in print for fans to enjoy if they choose for many years to come. There is no need to preserve any of it. It isn't going out of print. As for its canon status, that is gone and it isn't coming back no matter how loudly or quietly some kick and scream or decry the situation. I'd suggest just continue to enjoy the stories you love and stop fighting a battle y'all have already lost. A good story is a good story whether it's canon or not. And fans can go on discussing those old stories until they are old and grey if they want to.

Last edited:
It isn't going out of print.
It is though. Every great story by Dark Horse is only in a finite number.
As for its canon status, that is gone and it isn't coming back no matter how loudly or quietly some kick and scream or decry the situation. I'd suggest just continue to enjoy the stories you love and stop fighting a battle y'all have already lost. A good story is a good story whether it's canon or not. And fans can go on discussing those old stories until they are old and grey if they want to.
No one can if there are trolls out there that consistently tell us to shut up with the "old legends crap" and embrace the new "canon" stories made for children. The internet isn't a safe place anymore.

The Old Republic was only canon in the loosest sense. It had very little to do with the post ROTJ material. The only thing that's really changed is that it's technically no longer considered to be in continuity.

I don't see how this changes anyone's views onTOR content. I would have thought fans would be way more angry at all the post ROTJ stuff being white washed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"