Comics Scarlet Spider Returns?!

Seriously, as I said, I didnt like Mephisto (who isnt the devil), or the marriage, or the Venom deal. All out of character imho. The essence of Peter Parker is loss and tragedy. The essence of SM is victory against overwhelming odds. But, people can, and do disagree with these interpretations. Its pointless to argue about it at this stage--you're not going to convince me, nor I you. Its pretty cool to think that Lee & Ditko created a character that, after 47 years, still engenders this sort of passionate debate though.

Mephisto is marvel's representation of the devil. Deal. The essence of Peter Parker in my mind has always been a sense of responsibility which causes him to leap before he looks putting his own needs far behind that of others, even murderous ones. The idea that that person would ever agree to something with the devil, or a demon, is beyond stupid. He's met people that have done that. Not only do THEY always end up in hell, but the person they're trying to help always ends up worse for the exchange as well. Pete is supposed to be a genius.

I will convince you, either with words, threats or kidnapping your prized parakeet and doing horrible things to it.

Mephisto is just another demon villain. He's not Satan. I'm not even sure what "faith" Marvel is. Norse gods, maybe? Aunt May sucked as a fighter, so she's not going to Valhalla? Maybe she can hang with Steve Rogers? He was last seen chatting it up with Thor (I guess he got a hall pass from Odin). Oh wait, Steve's being ressurrected too. Maybe this is a reincarnation kinda deal, except everyone comes back as who they were (except that the Vision wasn't really the original Human Torch, he was just made out of some of the Torch's spare parts, so technically, he doesn't have a soul)? Or Zeuss, maybe? He's pissed that Thor gets top billing over Hercules?

I think the whole plot was a diabolical plan by Mysterio. Pete's going to wake up some day and be in the shower, in Queens (but Manhattan will be underwater and Ed Koch will be mayor). I liked the whole MJ is a clone thingy they were going to do back in the days of the clone saga, where she and Ben would have melted together. I guess clones lack souls, though, so MJ is safe. :)

But Peter has made deals with Venom fer cripes' sakes, a known killer, and yet he makes arrangements to let him go free. :whatever:

And howza'bout all them times that Peter left Norman "off the hook" because he was his best friend's dad... way to go with that "responsibilty" thing Petey-O... :whatever:

I understand the severity of dealing with an evil entity like Mephisto, but it's not "out of character" for him to make arrangements/deals with "bad guys" so that they don't go to jail for their crimes.

I expected to read about the Scarlet Spider Returning when I entered here...

And what I got was "is Mephisto Satan" and "May is not going to heaven anymore because Peter brought her back to life."

Yah, we're here to talk Scarlet Spider, not Scarlet Demon, lol.

Every time threads drift off topic I have to wonder how the posters responsible manage to communicate with people in in real life with such awesome skills of maintaining a topic of conversation.

I was thinking, if Ben returns as the Scarlet Spider, won't the members of The Initiative which rudely appropriated that name need to rename themselves? Or perhaps Ben could track them down for a little discussion on copywrite infringement. But then again he completely forgot about Joe Wade. As. Did. We. All.

But Peter has made deals with Venom fer cripes' sakes, a known killer, and yet he makes arrangements to let him go free. :whatever:

And howza'bout all them times that Peter left Norman "off the hook" because he was his best friend's dad... way to go with that "responsibilty" thing Petey-O... :whatever:

I understand the severity of dealing with an evil entity like Mephisto, but it's not "out of character" for him to make arrangements/deals with "bad guys" so that they don't go to jail for their crimes.

Yes and those are completely out of character. I also hate when he teams up with the punisher (a serial killer) or wolverine (a spree killer), it doesn't make any sense for him to let "good" criminals get away. But even those instances aren't deals with the devil.

UK, you never start off talking about one thing and the conversation drifts elsewhere? Are you the conversation nazi? Picking up chicks must be hard for you:

UK: Hey how are you?
Pretty Girl: Pretty good. Hey that's a really nice shirt.
UK: Listen *****, stay on topic, we're talking about how you are not my shirt.
Pretty Girl: *backs away slowly never making eye contact*

Meehaul, May's a known christian. Souls and an afterlife are established proven facts in the MU. Mephisto has been said to possibly be the devil in the MU. I've seen both. Still even as a evil demon that's always screwed everyone over on deals and ****ing told pete this would allow him to get a victory over god, it's not Pete at his best.

Yah, we're here to talk Scarlet Spider, not Scarlet Demon, lol.

Every time threads drift off topic I have to wonder how the posters responsible manage to communicate with people in in real life with such awesome skills of maintaining a topic of conversation.

I was thinking, if Ben returns as the Scarlet Spider, won't the members of The Initiative which rudely appropriated that name need to rename themselves? Or perhaps Ben could track them down for a little discussion on copywrite infringement. But then again he completely forgot about Joe Wade. As. Did. We. All.

It's the Ben Reilly corollary to Godwin's Rule:

The longer any internet discussion about Spider-Man takes place, the probablility of mentioning Mephisto approaches 1.

Thanks to TheCorpulent1 for the assist....

Annndddd we have a name for Spider-Man's new nemesis - RAPTOR.

I was calling him Kaine Jnr to myself, up till now - he looks like a teenage Parker clone with evolved Spider powers - though not in the direction Kaine had but rather along the lines of The Other (the bone blades). He still reminds me of what a teenage Kaine would be though, with the longish brown hair, and blue costume.

IGN Comics: Describe this villain that returns looking for Ben Reilly. What bone does he have to pick with the deceased hero, and why is he only just now appearing to deal with it?
?
Guggenheim: Well, that would be telling. I don't want to spoil his motivations, but the villain - named Raptor - has powers that match Spidey's pretty well, so it's a good match-up in terms of a fight. Plus, he fights dirty. I've always wondered why super-villains don't carry and use guns. I mean, sure they have their powers, but what's wrong with a little ordinance as well? That's Raptor's philosophy. He's bad ass.

Wacker: Raptor is a new character who could have – and I mean this in the best way possible – been introduced in the Spider-Man books in the mid-'90s. His name is Raptor – he just sounds like a '90s villain. If I were editing in 1994, we would have called him Blood Raptor! ?

Truly, we are in a new golden age...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"