Iron Man Screenwriters preview: Iron Man!

This is discouraging. I'm becoming distressed that, thus far, the humour is the only thing we're seeing, and the only thing being talked about. Iron Man isn't about comedy. Though humour is certainly a part of Tony Stark, the heart of the story has always been about Stark introspectively tackling himself and his own demons.

I suppose I wanted something tonally comparable to "Extremis," but instead we're getting something closer to Spider-Man.

The Hulk is another massive Marvel character that the studio is handling, but is not receiving any where near as much advertising or publicity as Iron Man.

I think it's a strategy on Marvel's part. And I think they're going this route with The Incredible Hulk for two reasons:

One, '03 Hulk had a full out media blitz. Generally speaking (I know Hulk has its defenders), Hulk was an overall dissapointment. I believe Marvel doesn't think they can quite seperate this film from that one to the general public.

You see how much "Is TIH attached to Hulk's continuity?" has been the question surrounding the film, and we've gotten inconsistent answers on that question even from people involved with the movie. Some people still think BB and TDK are somehow connected to the Burton films, so you know people who don't follow the films as zealously as we do here would see something about a new Hulk film, and instantly think it's a follow up to Ang's Hulk, and make assumptions about it, good or bad.

So rather than hype it early, and potentially confuse the general public, they're creating good buzz for IM, reeling people in for that. Then attach a solid trailer for TIH with IM, and hope that that, coupled with a good IM film will garner better word of mouth.

Two, TIH started filming after IM, and many of the effect shots that would get people excited probably aren't finished yet. Waiting until closer to the release date gives them time to tighten it up, and really have something polished to present.

Spider-man wasn't even that funny. Green Goblin in the first one was the funniest thing about the whole series and he wasn't exactly funny.

Iron Man looks like it's just out to do one thing and that is entertain us. It definitely looks better than either of the Fantastic Snores.

” For example, when you discover that the weapons research company that made your father rich and provides for your excessive lifestyle is actually the source of terrible global evil. “What happens when you think you’re one of the good guys and wake up to find out you’re one of the bad guys? Who are the bad guys? They’re your customers. You helped created them."

:wow: That's deeper then I actually thought they'd go with this. Awesome!
I figure they'd just keep to villainizing the other side, not bring into play an element that is so well thought out.

It's good we will get to see Stark being the billionaire player he is, enjoying himself, maybe hint at his alcoholism in this one, but not get into the tragedy of it until a later sequel.

Don't expect any Oscar performances... just worry about taking the "fun" a little too far... the action should still be there though... but if they get fantastic four on us then it could get ugly.

With the talent involved in this, and working on this, I think mentioning FF in the same breath is somehow blasphemous.
Those where some really stupid run of the mill superhero movies, with a bunch of average actors delivering average lines...

As for the oscar performance thing, I think it depends on how the actors feel about being in the movie, if they are telling themselves "i'm in a comic movie, this is a joke" we won't get a solid performance, but from what I heard people are enthused onset and we could have something special.

As for the academy acknowledge this type of movie for anything other then special effects, I don't know, they need to not have such a hangup for the genre.

My biggest concern over this movie is the Tone.
We have seen in previous Superhero movies how bad they can be when you try to make them too lighthearted and funny.
Although i dont mind a few jokes and funny bits, i hope the film is mostly serious.

I think maybe it is just in the way they have advertised it so far, maybe they just overused the few one liners and cute moments they have for whatever reason. Favreau said he'd have something serious, and I figure we can take him on his word.

This is discouraging. I'm becoming distressed that, thus far, the humour is the only thing we're seeing, and the only thing being talked about. Iron Man isn't about comedy. Though humour is certainly a part of Tony Stark, the heart of the story has always been about Stark introspectively tackling himself and his own demons.

I suppose I wanted something tonally comparable to "Extremis," but instead we're getting something closer to Spider-Man.

I think they want to build up too that.
Thing is, if they try to introduce that complex element, balance that alongside the introduction of a whole cast of important characters, his origin, the conflict between him and Stane, between him and the terrorist...

We'll already we have a lot, and since they obviously do want to franchise you've got to keep something for future instalments that go beyond introducing new bad guys.

I think there will be some foreshadowing at best, but not too much dwelling on it just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"