The Dark Knight Script Treatment Summary?

Maxwell Smart said:
^But I want him to have 90% of BB3 as Two-Face, not half or something like that.

Dent with a smaller amount of screen time=laaaaaame. I was envisioning a TLH-esque story in which the partnership of Gordon, Dent and Bats is the backbone of the narrative. What gilberg said seems to dispell that notion though. Me no likey.

Well, if I was a betting man, if they get whatever big name they want for TDK, he'll get a bit more screen time. Remember, the Fox character got a bit more screen time in the rewrites after Freeman was cast. It's not uncommon.

I'm fine with Dent being a smaller character in THE DARK KNIGHT. Maybe it's because with BB3, I only envision Two-Face showing up for the tail end of things (ala THE LONG HALLOWEEN). Sure, it means that Two-Face as a villain will sort of get the shaft, but I can live with that. I don't need the cinematic equivalent of DARK VICTORY. If anything, I feel the character's origin is more interesting than his career as a villain.

But I like that they're reinventing the Joker in keeping with how they reinvented Batman (though to say they "reinvented" anything is really incorrect - in many ways, the Batman we were given in BEGINS was faithful). I love the fact that BATMAN No. 1 has been cited as one of the key influences for his character - the Joker's introduction was as creepy a Joker story as has ever been.

Keyser Sushi said:
But I do have to say, I appreciate your taking the time to speak to us down here in the dungeon... it's been especially ugly here as of late. I think we're all ready for some news.

I do what I can when I'm around. I understand the frustration, and unfortunately, the real info usually contains scattered details and leaves more unanswered questions.

As for the race thing, I think they're looking at both black and white actors. I dont believe for a second their looking at one race exclusively. Anyone claiming that Dent has to be white needs to take a hard look at TAS.

gillberg2k1 said:
Anyone claiming that Dent has to be white needs to take a hard look at TAS.
Ah, the old "TAS Dent is black" debate. I've never seen him as black in the show. The character's race in that show is pretty ambiguous, IMO, leaning more towards an Italian/Mediterranean background if there's anything to be discerned there. I've always seen the character in TAS as caucasian.

But personally, I don't care about the race of the actor chosen. If they find a good black actor, I say go for it.

gillberg2k1 said:
I do what I can when I'm around. I understand the frustration, and unfortunately, the real info usually contains scattered details and leaves more unanswered questions.

I'd like to also say how much I appreciate you taking time to speak to us, you always seem to appear just when news is at its rarest to give us some food for thought.

For all the time I've been here I still don't have a clue how you are connected or in the know with the higher powers. But anyways Thanks all the same, your posts are really valued and appreciated by most of us. :up:

Batarang said:
I'd like to also say how much I appreciate you taking time to speak to us, you always seem to appear just when news is at its rarest to give us some food for thought.

For all the time I've been here I still don't have a clue how you are connected or in the know with the higher powers. But anyways Thanks all the same, your posts are really valued and appreciated by most of us. :up:

What Batarang said. :woot:

Okay, I'm dying to know - does Joker have an origin? And would you say he's still 'the Joker' despite the re-imagining?

I don't think we need to worry about that. Their "re-thinking" of Batman resulted in a surprisingly faithful and muscular (literally and figuratively) rendition of the Dark Knight. If re-thinking the Joker means presenting the essence of this character in a powerful new way, then, hell, I don't think there's anything to fear.

You're probably right and everything everyone has said would confirm this. But, it's nice to be sure, you know?

No offense is meant to any one of any race, but I find TAS Harvey Dent to be a mix of caucasian and african american.

Really, it doesn't matter as long as we get someone who is to Harvey Dent/Big Bad Harv/Two-Face what Bale is to Bruce Wayne/Batman, I'm a happy camper.

Crooklyn said:
If he gets short scenes in the film, akin to Fox in BB, I see no possible way of fleshing out the character in the way he deserves. Sure, the time he gets might be nice, but quantity goes along with quality.

Crook, my friend... the most basic principle of film can be distilled to one word: ECONOMY. You have a small amount of time to tell one hell of a lot of story. So you have to do as much as you can in as little time as possible. Basically, film takes quantity out of the equation. All you have is quality. You have to get as much quality as you can into the little quantity available.

Which takes away time from his post-scarring. That's one of the major reasons why the character literally should be split among multiple films. It's 2 totally different people.

Two people, perhaps, but one character. And one character arc.

gillberg2k1 said:

As for the race thing, I think they're looking at both black and white actors. I dont believe for a second their looking at one race exclusively. Anyone claiming that Dent has to be white needs to take a hard look at TAS.

Word.

I actually never thought of Harvey in TAS being any race in particular. It never occurred to me, but looking at him, yes, it's easy to see how he could be any number of races, and nearly any combination of races.

Plus, there's always Billy Dee in Batman '89, who I think was a terrific Harvey and would have made one hell of a Two-Face. :up:

Miranda Fox said:
You're probably right and everything everyone has said would confirm this. But, it's nice to be sure, you know?

Yeah, I know. :)

Keyser Sushi said:
Word.

I actually never thought of Harvey in TAS being any race in particular. It never occurred to me, but looking at him, yes, it's easy to see how he could be any number of races, and nearly any combination of races.

Plus, there's always Billy Dee in Batman '89, who I think was a terrific Harvey and would have made one hell of a Two-Face. :up:

I would be fine with any race. a good actor is a good actor....

that being said, anyone who has the animated series( i think volume 1 or two), on the commentary, bruce timm jokes about how many people think the harvey in the cartoon is african american. They laugh and timm says "Our dent is white BTW":oldrazz:

Billy dee for dent dammit!

Morzan said:
No offense is meant to any one of any race, but I find TAS Harvey Dent to be a mix of caucasian and african american.
The hard thing about judging his race is that his skin tone is the same as all the other animated caucasians in the show (including Bruce Wayne/Batman), so it's hard to make a case for him being another race than that, especially with his other features having nothing racially distinct about them.

MechaOrga said:
that being said, anyone who has the animated series( i think volume 1 or two), on the commentary, bruce timm jokes about how many people think the harvey in the cartoon is african american. They laugh and timm says "Our dent is white BTW"
Well that settles it once and for all.

Nice find Miranda!

Not so keen on the Joker origin so far....but remaining open-minded. The 'body in the barrel' explanation is pretty cool but I'd much prefer that the events prior to acid bath were left vague. Just have flashes to a pregnant wife, a comedy routine, a robbery, a sad guy getting drunk, talking to mobsters, attacked by mobsters. Let the audience grasp at straws.

Keyser Sushi said:
...the most basic principle of film can be distilled to one word: ECONOMY. You have a small amount of time to tell one hell of a lot of story. So you have to do as much as you can in as little time as possible. Basically, film takes quantity out of the equation. All you have is quality. You have to get as much quality as you can into the little quantity available.

Correct ^ but keeping this in mind I'm still predicting (and hoping) that Dent will have more screen time than Fox did in BB.

The TAS creators conformed that Harvey ISN'T black on their show. The same with Lex on Superman TAS.

As for Harvey's screen time, it should be enough to get us to like and care about him. As long as they do that, it's mission accomplished.

AndrewGilkison said:
The TAS creators conformed that Harvey ISN'T black on their show. The same with Lex on Superman TAS.

As for Harvey's screen time, it should be enough to get us to like and care about him. As long as they do that, it's mission accomplished.

Oh, God... I just realized that the TAS Lex Luthor looks EXACTLY like the TAS Harvey, only BALD!! It's so painfully obvious!!!

twoface1.gif

Harvey Dent is the the doppelganger of Lex Luthor.

Thanks for the info as always Gill - nice of you to clean things up. I like the info about the Joker - they're definitely going to push the envelope with him.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"