The Troy Davis Situation

That's what appeals are for. For what ever reason, his appeals were denied.

Which in the long run is Quasi-Irellevant.

The death penalty is supposed to be issued when guilt is proven without the shadow of a doubt. There was clearly much doubt in Troy Davis' case.

Should he have gone free? No.

Should he have been executed when it was clear neither the state of Georgia or the "witnesses" were sure if he had killed that officer? Absolutely not.

The Justice system is not a guessing game. It isn't perfect but it's not supposed to be whittled down into a process that doesn't take into account human error and blatant tampering with the trail. (I say Tampering because lying is tampering)

One the seven witnesses recanted their testimony something should have happened. You had a man on death row for 20+ years. Every day wondering if Today was going to be the day he was executed. THAT is an embarrassment to the system in itself.

When there wasn't CLEAR and irrefutable proof that this man was definitely guilty the Death Penalty was no longer an option.

I don't care what an appeals court said they were clearly wrong. When 7 of 9 witnesses admit to lying or recant their statements something obviously went wrong in the trial and in the interest of justice, true justice, someone has to say:

Wait...this is wrong we need to reexamine this and see if we've been doing the right thing. If they still found him to be guilty in light of the new evidence then life in Prison was an alternate choice. Because no matter what there was severe and sufficient doubt that could have proved that man to have been innocent.

And that's it? For whatever reason... that's it? No possibility of mistake?

Death penalty sentences happen to have a no so short history of people proven innocent after they were executed. Judges are not infallible. And in front of an increasing amount of uncertainty (like the testimonial changes) they didn't budge. There are lots of reasons for people to be infuriated.

Yes. Do you know why his appeals were denied? I sure don't. Was there possibility of a mistake? The Supreme Court apparently didn't think so, and they are probably a lot more informed than the people who only know anything about this case thanks to the lame-stream media.

Which in the long run is Quasi-Irellevant.

The death penalty is supposed to be issued when guilt is proven without the shadow of a doubt. There was clearly much doubt in Troy Davis' case.

Should he have gone free? No.

Should he have been executed when it was clear neither the state of Georgia or the "witnesses" were sure if he had killed that officer? Absolutely not.

The Justice system is not a guessing game. It isn't perfect but it's not supposed to be whittled down into a process that doesn't take into account human error and blatant tampering with the trail. (I say Tampering because lying is tampering)

One the seven witnesses recanted their testimony something should have happened. You had a man on death row for 20+ years. Every day wondering if Today was going to be the day he was executed. THAT is an embarrassment to the system in itself.

When there wasn't CLEAR and irrefutable proof that this man was definitely guilty the Death Penalty was no longer an option.

I don't care what an appeals court said they were clearly wrong. When 7 of 9 witnesses admit to lying or recant their statements something obviously went wrong in the trial and in the interest of justice, true justice, someone has to say:

Wait...this is wrong we need to reexamine this and see if we've been doing the right thing. If they still found him to be guilty in light of the new evidence then life in Prison was an alternate choice. Because no matter what there was severe and sufficient doubt that could have proved that man to have been innocent.

This wasn't a guessing game. And again, just because 7 of 9 witnesses recant now doesn't mean the original trial was corrupt. There is enough reason to reevaluate the case without calling the original trial unfair.

This wasn't a guessing game. And again, just because 7 of 9 witnesses recant now doesn't mean the original trial was corrupt. There is enough reason to reevaluate the case without calling the original trial unfair.

Not in my opinion. If the majority of witness testimony suddenly becomes unusable, you've got to start asking yourself two things:

Why did they testify to something in the first place and What bearing does that have on the outcome of the case.

However that's still Quasi-Irrelevant because CLEARLY if witnesses recant their statements some doubt creeps back into the case.

Once doubt is established and not satisfied the death penalty is no longer supposed to be an option.

Life in Prison can be reduced during Prison time, evidence can come to light and someone can be released.

You can't bring someone back from the dead if new evidence adjudicates them.

Sigh. A little late for a reply. (I don't browse these forums that often)

This news saddens me. I am glad he seemed to be at peace when he died. I remember a reporter on CNN saying the execution went quietly.

I was furious the day it happened and on the verge of tears. Sitting in front of my computer knowing that man was going to die and knowing there was nothing I could do about it. Imagining the heartache his family was going through.

To delay the execution for 4 hours, giving the family hope that his life might be spared, only to go along with the execution anyway is just.. evil. Sadistic. Barbaric.

I offer my condolences to Officer MacPhail's family for their loss. They've been grieving for the past 20 years, but for them to be so vehemently wanting this man to die, not knowing if he truly was the culprit or not, putting the poor Davis family through all of that.. I'm sorry, but I'm enraged at them.

Guilty or not, killing Troy won't bring Macphail back, they're only continuing the cycle of death and grief. Now ANOTHER family is grieving, and he could very well have been an innocent man. If he hypothetically was guilty, then just leave him in jail. He ain't getting out, he won't be hurting anyone else. Their behavior over this whole thing makes them look like bloodthirsty people.

I would also like to agree with the comments on Obama's failure to act. I made a long post on another forum the day it happened, but I'm not going to bother copy n pasting here, since it's already been said by other people in this thread.

I don't know if Troy was innocent or guilty, but I do not think he deserved to die. If he was guilty, then I hope he found forgiveness during his stay in prison and is in God's loving arms. And If he was innocent.. well then I don't think I have to worry about where his soul ended up.

Rest in peace Officer Macphail and Troy Davis. =<

Sigh. A little late for a reply. (I don't browse these forums that often)

This news saddens me. I am glad he seemed to be at peace when he died. I remember a reporter on CNN saying the execution went quietly.

I was furious the day it happened and on the verge of tears. Sitting in front of my computer knowing that man was going to die and knowing there was nothing I could do about it. Imagining the heartache his family was going through.

To delay the execution for 4 hours, giving the family hope that his life might be spared, only to go along with the execution anyway is just.. evil. Sadistic. Barbaric.

I offer my condolences to Officer MacPhail's family for their loss. They've been grieving for the past 20 years, but for them to be so vehemently wanting this man to die, not knowing if he truly was the culprit or not, putting the poor Davis family through all of that.. I'm sorry, but I'm enraged at them.

Guilty or not, killing Troy won't bring Macphail back, it won't make the pain they feel go away. They're only continuing the cycle of death and grief. Now ANOTHER family is grieving, and he could very well have been an innocent man. If he hypothetically was guilty, then just leave him in jail. He ain't getting out, he won't be hurting anyone else. Their behavior over this whole thing makes them look like bloodthirsty people.

I would also like to agree with the comments on Obama's failure to act. I made a long post on another forum the day it happened, but I'm not going to bother copy n pasting here, since it's already been said by other people in this thread.

I don't know if Troy was innocent or guilty, but I do not think he deserved to die. If he was guilty, then I hope he found forgiveness during his stay in prison and is in God's loving arms. And If he was innocent.. well then I don't think I have to worry about where his soul ended up.

Rest in peace Officer Macphail and Troy Davis. =<

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"