The Troy Davis Situation

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm not really sure where this type of thread belongs. I hope this is in the right forum..

I just learned of this horrible story today, and it sickens me. I'll copy n paste the info here..

The day is now here - the state of Georgia has set Troy Davis' execution date for September 21st, just two weeks from today.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear his final appeal earlier this year. But the story remains the same - Troy Davis could very well be innocent.

However, in the state of Georgia, the Board of Pardons & Paroles holds the keys to Troy's fate. In the days before Davis' execution, this Board will hold a final clemency hearing - a final chance to prevent Troy Davis from being executed.

Davis was convicted on the basis of witness testimony - seven of the nine original witnesses have since recanted or changed their testimony.

One witness said in a CNN news interview "If I knew then, what I know now, Troy Davis would not be on death row."

I know it's difficult to believe that a system of justice could be so terribly flawed, but keep in mind that Troy has survived three previous execution dates, because people like you kept the justice system in check!

We've been bracing for this moment and the time for action is now! Here's what you can do to join the fight:

Sign our petition to the Board of Pardons & Paroles urging them to grant clemency! We'll deliver your signatures next week.

Organize locally for Troy: Take to the streets with us. Soon we'll be announcing the date for the official Troy Davis Day of Action. Sign up now to rally in the coming days to stop the execution of Troy Davis.

Tell everyone you know! Spread the word about this injustice on Twitter by using the hashtag #TooMuchDoubt. Be sure to tell your Facebook friends Troy's story too!
Thank you for fighting for Troy,

Laura Moye
Director, Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Amnesty International USA
Follow my Troy Davis updates on Twitter: @lauramoye

Troy Anthony Davis was put on Death Row for the murder of a Police Officer in 1989. However, many people believe he is innocent. According to a website made in his defense..

-There was no physical evidence against Troy Davis.
-The weapon used was never found.
-7 of the 9 non-police witnesses have recanted or contradicted their testimony.
-Many of these witnesses have stated that they were pressured or coerced by the police. One of the witnesses who has not recanted is the principle alternative suspect.

If you can, take the time to sign this. You could be saving a man's life.

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/si...d=12970&msource=W1109EADP01&tr=y&auid=9445276

For more info on Troy Anthony Davis, visit this website.
http://www.troyanthonydavis.org/call-to-action.html

I normally wouldn't post topics relating to petitions.. but well, this seems urgent.

Signed.

Doesn't seem like much of a hassle on my part to fill in my name and address and possibly help a man's life be spared.

Hope he isn't killed.

And this is exactly why Amnesty International is the only charity i'm involved in. Without them, who'd be fighting for this guy?

I signed the NAACP version. I oppose the death penalty and this seems like a worthy cause.

An eye for an eye is an archaic idea that needs to be abolished in the civilized world. It almost is too... except for certain countries...

*signed*

He should be released and the police responsbility STRIPPED of their ranks for good.

Good luck Troy. If you are innocent I hope you get released.

I just read about this story and was wondering if we have a capital punishment thread. On the heels of the macabre applause Rick Perry got for the distinction of having the most executions of any governer in our history, we're looking like a nation of bloodthirsty savages. This is exactly why the death penelty should be abolished; too much room for error.

Federally, treason is still punishable by death.

Watching that video with the family of the victim, I would love to know why they are so sure that this man is the guilty party. The widow brings up the trial and then says that the recantations are a lie... that apparently these people who recanted were telling the truth the first time around. How does she know? What is her evidence?

It just seems like the family wants to kill someone to get revenge for the loss of their loved one, whether it's the actual perpetrator or not.

My heart goes out to them, though, because they have had to deal with this for 20 years. I am against the death penalty, but if we're going to have it, and IF the perpetrator has been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (which obviously isn't the case here), then he or she should be executed within a year or two of being convicted. There is no reason why a family should have their grief dragged out for 20 years.

Watching that video with the family of the victim, I would love to know why they are so sure that this man is the guilty party. The widow brings up the trial and then says that the recantations are a lie... that apparently these people who recanted were telling the truth the first time around. How does she know? What is her evidence?

It just seems like the family wants to kill someone to get revenge for the loss of their loved one, whether it's the actual perpetrator or not.

My heart goes out to them, though, because they have had to deal with this for 20 years. I am against the death penalty, but if we're going to have it, and IF the perpetrator has been proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt (which obviously isn't the case here), then he or she should be executed within a year or two of being convicted. There is no reason why a family should have their grief dragged out for 20 years.

Policy should not be dictated by accomidations for the opinions of people who are in grief. It turns out, grief often times makes you think and behave irrationally.

Seems like the execution was halted.

I looked up the case on Wikipedia. He doesn't sound as innocent as his supporters are making him. He admitted to being at the crime scene. There was forensic evidence that was excluded because the police failed to get a search warrent, which is a shame. The friend he was with, who was the one that told the police about Davis, also had a .38 pistol that couldn't be found. Sad case.

apparently the supreme court isnt going to block the execution.

I was just reading that too.

Seems like the execution was halted.

I looked up the case on Wikipedia. He doesn't sound as innocent as his supporters are making him. He admitted to being at the crime scene. There was forensic evidence that was excluded because the police failed to get a search warrent, which is a shame. The friend he was with, who was the one that told the police about Davis, also had a .38 pistol that couldn't be found. Sad case.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should argue its a slam dunk he's innocent, just that we should not execute when there is so much reasonable doubt (at least let him stay in prison). There is no physical evidence linking him to crime entered in as evidence, witnesses recanting their statements. Davis had a criminal record, but I think the other suspect did as well. It just seems that if a guy had a prior criminal record, people are ok if he's "taken care" of, even if he didn't technically do it and I dob believe police would manipulate people to become witnesses.

I seriously feel like crying right now. This is heartbreaking!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say one reason why this probably was never going to be overturned is because:

- Troy Davis would have sued and definitely would have won a multi-million dollar settlement. With the amount of time he spent awaiting death along with the compassion of so many behind him, whatever he would have demanded, he would, rightfully, win it for sure.

It's a shame.

America **** Yeah.

How many should die before people wake up and abolishes this inbred code of so called "law".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"