Supergirl Season 1 Episode 1- "Pilot"

I don't see a problem with that at all.

We are extremely self-centered creatures, and our perspective of people would not travel from one person to another quickly enough to make the connection as them being the same person. It is human nature for people to categorize those in their lives and it is extremely hard to deviate from that...even when it is looking you write in the face....

"Can't see the forest for the trees"
"If it had been a snake it would have bitten you"

????

:facepalm:

I don't see a problem with that at all.

We are extremely self-centered creatures, and our perspective of people would not travel from one person to another quickly enough to make the connection as them being the same person. It is human nature for people to categorize those in their lives and it is extremely hard to deviate from that...even when it is looking you write in the face....

"Can't see the forest for the trees"
"If it had been a snake it would have bitten you"

????

Honestly, it's among the better explanations anyway. One thing I disliked about Man of Steel is it made clear to the world that Superman has a secret identity. To me, the biggest thing Clark Kent has going for him is no one would expect Superman to need a secret identity.

"They'd recognize them as the hero!"

Yes, let's ruin all the magic of the fantasy secret identity while we're at it.

The problem with this when it comes to the Super-family is simple, they don't wear masks of any kind. It's easier to buy it with Batman, or Spider-Man, or Daredevil, etc because they at least obscure their faces. Superman and Supergirl don't, it's literally just glasses and a different hairstyle. That's a lot harder to buy, especially when both are established as working in big media companies full of co-workers who's job it is to figure stuff like this out and report on it.

Honestly, it's among the better explanations anyway. One thing I disliked about Man of Steel is it made clear to the world that Superman has a secret identity. To me, the biggest thing Clark Kent has going for him is no one would expect Superman to need a secret identity.
Bingo. Batman once told him he had the most ingenious disguise ever because he didn't wear a mask, so everyone just assumes he's Superman 24/7. Even if someone on the street recognizes Clark, they just think, "hey, he looks a lot like Superman. Lucky guy." Nobody thinks a god like that would walk among them as a regular joe.

Watching the Pilot right now.

- Benoist is incredible adorable.

- The two male leads show potential. They both have good chemistry with Benoist.

- The sister situation is bad, like really bad. The dialogue is horrible and the storyline is as hammy as it gets. The army stuff overall just seems week as heck.

- The flying and movement is incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes it looks great, some times it looks really poor.

- So she keeps saying she has the same powers of Superman, but she has no super speed? Because she never moves fast outside of flying, where she doesn't move all that fast. Wouldn't the easiest way to handle this ax guy be to get behind him and disarm him?

- There is way too much exposition, and far too many attempts to make Kara "important" with words, instead of actions. It just reminds me she isn't Clark.

- If a big alien prison landed on Earth, where the hell is Superman? Because they can't stop mentioning him.

- How the heck do these Earthlings know about all this Krypton stuff?

- Mommy scene was so cheesy.

- "Why because she is a girl?" :lmao:

- Still no super speed.

- One more thing I forgot to mention earlier. Was not a fan of her seemingly saving the plane because her sister is on it. They may not have been the intent, but that is how it played out for me.

Well on the bright side, Arrow is still horrible, so it might not be the worst Superhero show on the air. Hopefully it gets better. The first episode of the Flash was so much better.

Last edited:
Watching the Pilot right now.

- Benoist is incredible adorable.

- The two male leads show potential. They both have good chemistry with Benoist.

- The sister situation is bad, like really bad. The dialogue is horrible and the storyline is as hammy as it gets. The army stuff overall just seems week as heck.

- So she keeps saying she has the same powers of Superman, but she has no super speed? Because she never moves fast outside of flying, where she doesn't move all that fast. Wouldn't the easiest way to handle this ax guy be to get behind him and disarm him?

- How the heck do these Earthlings know about all this Krypton stuff?

- Still no super speed.

well I think the sister is used a mouth piece of the writers to the audience tonight that some day she'll be the one saving superman and this is her story it's just getting started. So it mean's not to worry she'll have her Independence as a heroin . there will be other reason's like her human family connection . Beside's Alex actually being in the book's as hank henshaw's wife prior to this show. .

As to the ones I bolded , they showed her do the super speed thing in episode 2 she broke the sound barrier outrunning missiles during her super agent training session with the DEO at the start of that same episode . they just haven't done it since then .

Last edited:
So super speed shows up? Well that is good. I hope it doesn't disappear to fit the battle. I love The Flash, but even the show based around super speed gets really convenient with it all the time.

So super speed shows up? Well that is good. I hope it doesn't disappear to fit the battle. I love The Flash, but even the show based around super speed gets really convenient with it all the time.

Oh come on, you KNOW it will.

I think it has more to do with the budget I think. It's like the SFX budget keeps being turned on and off to fit the needs to the show. Gets damn annoying and inconsistent at times.

It only has to happen with poor writing. One of my great appreciations for MoS. The powers were kept really consistent.
MoS also had $225million at its disposal with which to maintain that visual consistency.

I think it has more to do with the budget I think. It's like the SFX budget keeps being turned on and off to fit the needs to the show. Gets damn annoying and inconsistent at times.
I guess I will see as it goes on.

MoS also had $225million at its disposal with which to maintain that visual consistency.
Well then why give her all the powers from the start? Give her the strength, the flight, and the invulnerability. Let her learn more as it goes on. Smallville bothered me on a regular basis while I watched it, but it didn't ignore the speed. It is one of the core powers. And I would assume the budget here is much bigger then Smallville's or even The Flash's.

Also, don't emphasis the cape getting ripped up, if you are going to have her walk through a hail of bullets and the rest of her clothes remain just fine.

Last edited:
wellclark in small ville wasn't flying unless he was taken over mentally by someone else via jor el or some villain of the week often. other wise we had the super speed . mostly with his face looking at us looking like he was bopping to a song.

The rule with that show was if he flew he's super man due to that as they told people intheir behind eh scene's and people they told this to that interviewed the cast members and the show was over.

Rewatching.

Things that make me go hmm:

Clark finds Kara but just leaves her pod there to be taken by the DEO. Including a message from her own mother! Talk about rude and inconsiderate.

Karas pod is released along with Fort Rozz thing with dangerous alien criminals. Superman apparently ignores this and Kara has to deal with it 12 years later. They were in the Phantom zone so did Jor-El/Lara have nothing to do with the phantom zone?

Aliens just know right off the bat that Kara is Kara Zor-El and a Kryptonian.

Kara having to spend half her life being an employee of Cat Grant and her other half being forced to work with the DEO probably wasnt the way to go.

Astra lays low for 12 years and thinks killing Kara will allow her to take over the world but in none of this time she doesnt attempt to take out her nephew in-law, Superman?

Putting James in on the secret from Day 1 was definitely the best way to go. They should've worked more on them as a Clark/Lois investigating duo.

While these are good questions if watching the “Pilot” alone I do believe I can supply plausible answers from the subsequent season one episodes.

Rewatching.
Things that make me go hmm:

Clark finds Kara but just leaves her pod there to be taken by the DEO. Including a message from her own mother! Talk about rude and inconsiderate.
We don’t see what Clark did with Kara’s pod and crystal. In my headcannon Clark gave them to Eliza and Jeremiah. Then when the real Hank Henshaw threatened to take young Kara into custody Jeramiah handed them over as part of the deal he struck with Henshaw to leave Kara alone.

Karas pod is released along with Fort Rozz thing with dangerous alien criminals. Superman apparently ignores this and Kara has to deal with it 12 years later. They were in the Phantom zone so did Jor-El/Lara have nothing to do with the phantom zone?
The show only showed Alura sentencing criminals to the phantom zone. Jor-El’s name has been said once in passing in season two and Lara has never been mentioned. This is Supergirl’s show not her cousins. We don’t know what those Fort Rozz escapees were up to in your headcannon you can believe Clark did cross with a few. We know that J’onn was in charge of the DEO within a couple of years of Kara landing. We also know that Clark worked with J’onn at the DEO for a bit before the two disagreed about whether the DEO should keep Kryptonite. I can see J’onn wanting to handle any Fort Rozz escapees quietly and Clark agreeing that was best. The Fort Rozz escapees had it out for Kara because her of her mother.

Aliens just know right off the bat that Kara is Kara Zor-El and a Kryptonian.
The Fort Rozz escapees knew because Astra told them. There was a flashback scene on Krypton where Alura sends Astra to Fort Rozz so Astra did not know her niece was alive until Kara saved the plane and reviled herself to the world. Once Astra saw Kara save the plane on the news she recognized her niece.

Kara having to spend half her life being an employee of Cat Grant and her other half being forced to work with the DEO probably wasn’t the way to go.
Opinion

Astra lays low for 12 years and thinks killing Kara will allow her to take over the world but in none of this time she doesn’t attempt to take out her nephew in-law, Superman?
Someone has a Superman fixation, remember they were not allowed to show him during the first season. Astra’s motivation wasn’t simply to take over the Earth. She believed humans were destroying the Earth’s environment just like the Kryptonians did Krypton. She wanted humans to collectively stop destroying the Earth’s environment; and work together to reverse the damage already done of course she went about it the wrong way. Go with Astra didn’t think the environmental crisis was bad enough until the events of season one and before that she thought it was best to not reveal herself to Clark

Putting James in on the secret from Day 1 was definitely the best way to go. They should've worked more on them as a Clark/Lois investigating duo.
I always thought it was crappie of Clark not to give Kara the heads up that his friend James was going to be working at the same company she did and that he told James who she was. Clark told James Kara’s identity without her permission.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"