Secret Invasion Season 1, Episode 1 - Resurrection SPOILER Discussion

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Secret Invasion SPOILER thread! Beyond this sentence, be warned. This is a SPOILER thread where untagged spoilers are okay.

Ballsy beginning, right?

I liked the first episode. Very exposition heavy, but I was still entertained. My wife was not a fan of the ending. She was like "that's it, we are done with this show!" Didn't expect that to go over so poorly for people

I hope Olivia Colman's character is the grand-daughter of James Montgomery Falsworth, one of the Howling Commandos. My long standing idea is that they can wrap up the Howling Commandos story with an "in universe documentary" about the Howling Commandos after World War II ended and make it a special presentation. If you guys know anything about documentaries, the genre uses a lot of news clips, YouTube videos, archival footage, newspaper clippings and home movies to tell the story. There has never been a documentary that has ever used CGI, unless the topic is about CGI itself.

I liked the episode, didn't really feel like "current MCU" to me, but that's more than okay. I thought that chase scene in the beginning looked a bit silly though, the guys were way too close. Reminded me of this

Also I knew something was up when I didn't see Coby's name in the opening credits...

I liked the episode, didn't blow me away but I wasn't expecting that either.
It was a very refreshing change of pace with real actors, mostly real locations after things like Love & Thunder and Quantumania. They didn't even bother with the opening logo, went straight to "Marvel Studios".
I hope they make good use of Olivia Colman. She's way too good for this, I hope is worth it.

Solid episode overall, it's got some promising foundation with the story. It feels more like the Winter Soldier movie than the Falcon & Winter Soldier show.

Also, were people that big of a fan of Maria Hill to be that upset about it? I thought it was used well to set up some stakes which is desperately needed in the MCU.

A bit dull.

But I've been so disappointed with Marvel Studios shows, that I'm just watching it with no great eXpectations.

I liked the visuals/look of the show though.

Maria Hill has overstayed her welcome. What an uninteresting character from the start. I hope she doesn't come back but she will. Duh.

It was slow to start, I fell asleep a bit but then rewind back. I liked the last sequence, I didn't feel anything for Maria Hill dying she didn't do anything memorable in the MCU. I was thinking the skrull guy killed another skrull looking like Maria just to shake Fury but the body didn't change. Maybe they open up the 2nd episode with the body changing but I don't know. Th ending makes me hopefull the remaining episodes are fast pace.

For some reason I still have this feeling that Fury is a skrull. That scene when he landed back on Earth and that shot of him all alien like made me suspicious.

But yeah great first episode IMO.

This was weird to watch given the current climate abroad.

Damn at the ending.

Finding out about the AI Credits was a major turn-off, but I got bored so I checked it out.

I feel like I watched a completely different show seeing people complain this was "slow." We got, what, 3-5 seperate fight scenes in this episode? If anything, it moved TOO fast. It needed a proper set-up pilot to really invest us in what's going on. Instead, we have Talos' primary motivating incident happen off-screen and barely any time at all to start caring about Maria Hill again when she's barely done anything in the MCU for ages.

There's some stuff that works well here, but I'm still not sold on them being able to pull this story off. There's just not enough characters in this universe, much less characters that the show has access to. And their choice to make the Skrulls a persecuted refugee species in Captain Marvel really undercuts the villainous turn here and makes the whole thing awkward. And the direction in editing, especially in the climax, isn't working for me at building tension. But SLJ and Mendelsohn stay great, so I'll tune back in next week.

Best part is Ross being a Skrull. Let's hope we can get Freeman back as the real Ross with the right personality this time, instead of the generic suit he's been written as so far.

Beyond the ethical considerations, I can see why the AI credits have dominated discussion of this show from what I've seen: there's not really much here to grab onto. I like the idea of Jackson and Mendelsohn as a duo, but everything feels so... bland. The choice to kill off Hill is a total miss too because the MCU never made her matter anyway. But they deserve all the ridicule they get for the intro. It's absolutely hideous even divorced from context.

Last edited:
Beyond the ethical considerations, I can see why the AI credits have dominated discussion of this show from what I've seen: there's not really much here to grab onto. I like the idea of Jackson and Mendelsohn as a duo, but everything feels so... bland. The choice to kill off Hill is a total miss too because the MCU never made her matter anyway.
Exactly! IIRC, the original series IIRC kicked things off with ****ing ELEKTRA being revealed as a Skrull. That was a big deal. Here we get Freeman's boring, INO Everrett Ross. And then Hill - her only significant appearance since AOU eight years ago was FFH - which wasn't even the real Hill! If they needed someone to sacrifice to set the stakes, fine. But they needed at least a couple of episodes to get us to care about her first. Which I guess is more than Talos' wife got...

Really enjoyed Episode 1, liking The Winter Soldier vibes, James Bond style opener and that shocker at the end got my attention for Episode 2 next week!!!

Here’s some Fan Theories for Marvel’s Secret Invasion I been spitballing:

*First of all I don’t think Maria Hill is dead, we seen Fury get shot the same in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, so she’ll walk it off or hell she could be a Life Model Decoy!!!

*About Maria Hill where was she when Talos was Fury and Soren was Hill?! We know Fury was in Space but where was Maria?! Last we saw her was Infinity War/Endgame as herself?! Was she working on something Top Secret? Something that will come into play by Series end?!

*Thank you to Ryan Arey for putting this idea in my head, but I hope it’s wrong. But I’m starting to think Gravik isn’t actually the Big Bad of this series, but well could be...Talos!!!

*Or if not Talos then Soren?! We didn’t see her die and we just told she’s “dead” what if she fakes her death and is actually the real Big Bad?!

*Back on the subject of Soren and her death, if Gravik is the Big Bad and Talos and Soren are still good, then I’m thinking Soren isn’t dead, but is in hiding and Talos and her came up with this idea. So they had a secret Ace up their sleeve when they needed it most.

*Nick Fury isn’t actually as old and beaten as he looks, that he pretending to look this way to put the Baddies off guard, and by end of Series we will get the badass Fury back in time for The Marvels!!!

*Or completely left field and so bonkers it could be real, but the Nick Fury we see in this Show isn’t the REAL Nick Fury but is instead a Skrull: a Skrull that gone so undercover as Nick Fury that he truly thinks he is Nick Fury!!! Maybe the real Fury never left the S.A.B.E.R. Station and this all a plan by Fury to get people thinking his on Earth while he plans and plots in Space, being three steps ahead of everyone...

It's nice to have a new Marvel show to discuss each week again. I wasn't crazy about the first episode but I'll obviously tune in for the rest. I like the tone and I like SLJ and Mendelsohn and Emilia Clarke is always a plus.

I had the Maria Hill thing spoiled for me but it didn't totally bother me. Who knows what they'll do with it but it was clearly there to raise the stakes.

Nooooo!!!! I liked Cobie.. :unsure: I dont think we will see her back since she and Freeman were listes as speical guest appearences. Olivia Colman and Emilia Clarke are really nice to watch, I like the cold tone of this show.

It was okay. It's nice to see Fury again. I got a kick out of him saying his mid life crisis shopping trip was the Avengers.

That bums me out about Maria because she's such an OG. I was surprised because I thought Cobie said this show was the most she got to explore Maria, so maybe she has some flashbacks or they do a cheap fake out and she's a skrull. Who knows.

It wasn't bad, but definitely not a very exciting opener. The big kicker of the episode is Maria Hill (probably) dying. She's such a non-character, I can't imagine I was supposed to feel something. We know next to nothing about her and she hasn't even been a particularly charismatic presence in the MCU. The AI intro is absolutely hideous. I'm still looking forward to the rest of the season, but I can't help but think that *maybe* the creative team should have looked at the comics after all. The source material is good. Use it.

Did Rhodey at once point say they lost contact of agent Fury and agent Hill? That could suggest the duo have been working for the government (which agency unclear) and probably so when they were snapped in post credit of IW when they were referring to some sort of base IIRC.

I like the theory that Talos and/or Soren are the big bad.

Now, just because Ross turned out to be a skull in the beginning doesn't mean Ross himself is dead, right? I don't want him to be dead for real like Maria Hill seems to be. :(

Now, just because Ross turned out to be a skull in the beginning doesn't mean Ross himself is dead, right? I don't want him to be dead for real like Maria Hill seems to be. :(
No I wouldn't think so. A person doesn't need to be dead for a skrull to take their appearence. Now this does beg the question of how long this skrull was impersonating Ross. Given how little fanfare there was for his reveal, I'm gonna assume it was not long. Maybe the skrull took Ross's place after Ross went awol and left to go to Wakanda in BP2. The skrulls might have figured Ross was MIA so he would be easy to replace.

Last edited:
No I wouldn't think so. A person doesn't need to be dead for a skrull to take their appearence. Now this does beg the question of how long this skrull was impersonating Ross. Given how little fanfare there was for his reveal, I'm gonna assume the skrull took Ross's place after Ross went awol and left to go to Wakanda in BP2. Maybe the skrulls figured Ross was MIA so he would be easy to replace.
Hope you're right. I kinda like the little fellow. :)

Wonder if Val will make an appearance, she was married to Ross before so she should know what happen to original.

I dunno, I feel like casting Emilia Clarke of all people as Talos' daughter was a total waste. But maybe she didn't want some huge role.

I'm sort of confused by Talos' comments about Fury. "After the Blip, you disappeared."

He disappeared because he was dead, mate, through no fault of his own. Also, he had a bunch of Skrulls he was working with onboard SABER. So how did he just disappear? This is all very confusing. Clearly, everyone was on good terms enough that you had Skrulls openly working with Fury onboard SABER, so is this a retcon or something? I just need something to better establish where the breakdown occurred.

Also, didn't Captain Marvel take all the Skrulls away after her movie? Why did they all go back? What has Captain Marvel been doing for the last 25 years that hasn't helped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"