Secret Invasion Season 1, Episode 3 - Betrayed SPOILERS Discussion Thread

Spider-Fan

SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 3 is out with another shocking twist!

As always, this is a SPOILER thread. So proceed at your own risk!

What? Marvel could only afford 3 episodes of Emilia Clarke?

This episode picked things up and I like getting to hear more about Fury's backstory and everything. Not my favorite of the Disney+ series so far, but I'm invested enough which is more than I could say with some of the other shows

I really don't think she's dead. Not just because Gravik left her body immediately after shooting her so he didn't check to see if she was really dead but because there's still a bunch of footage of Emilia from the trailers that they haven't shown yet in the show.

That phone call at the end? Confirmation that Rhodes is a Skrull?

That phone call at the end? Confirmation that Rhodes is a Skrull?
I thought that at first too but I'm think it might be misdirection. The ending makes it seem like Fury's wife is working for Gravik but I have a feeling she's actually secretly working for the US government (and possibly G'iah as well) and Fury is unaware of that.
There's also a shot from the trailers where it looks like G'iah and Fury's wife are working together in some type of shootout.

I really don't think she's dead. Not just because Gravik left her body immediately after shooting her so he didn't check to see if she was really dead but because there's still a bunch of footage of Emilia from the trailers that they haven't shown yet in the show.
Along with the earlier scene with the hand cut in two being just easier for Gravik to shake off than the tracker did in John Wick 4. Where exactly would critical organs be on beings that shift their shape?

Along with the earlier scene with the hand cut in two being just easier for Gravik to shake off than the tracker did in John Wick 4. Where exactly would critical organs be on beings that shift their shape?
Exactly. Also since you bring it up, that scene with Gravik also shows that he has Extremis in him. So he's already a Super Skrull at this point.

Ok this show is picking up now. Wasn’t sure after the first but I’ve liked the last 2. Interested to see what happens next.

This episode picked things up and I like getting to hear more about Fury's backstory and everything. Not my favorite of the Disney+ series so far, but I'm invested enough which is more than I could say with some of the other shows
Maybe there’s a twist on that as if that’s all we get from her it’s pretty poor.

There no way Emilia Clarke's G'iah is dead, wanna know why?!

Because Extremis and the Super Skrull project is a thing!!!

Okay, now Im sold.
Im just curious which role Sonya has in all this. She is not important for the plot so far (I still love Olivias scenes in the MCU though).

There no way Emilia Clarke's G'iah is dead, wanna know why?!

Because Extremis and the Super Skrull project is a thing!!!
It's not even that. Skrulls, at least in the comics anyway, can move vital organs to different parts of their body.

This episode was ok. I'm sure G'iah will be back, it would be pretty unbelievable if they were to essentially fridge another female character after Talos's wife and Maria Hill. Or maybe she's dead and Fury's girlfriend is next lol.

Tonally it's an odd bird. It's trying to telegraph importance through hints at real-world issues and themes, but it doesn't have the time or interest to delve into any of them, so far. At least to me, the few attempts at levity have come across as a bit awkward. Talos and Fury are supposed to have this almost brotherly banter, but there's something unrehearsed about it and I'm not entirely buying it, even though these actors are the best of the best. Maybe it just would have been nice to see more of it beforehand and now it would feel more emotional.

Secret Invasion has enough easter eggs for any Marvel fan to stay awake through these episodes, but I really don't know how I could sell this to a more casual fan. None of my friends are watching this show, except for the one super fan who isn't completely jaded by Marvel by now and she isn't exactly loving it either. Take the MCU context out and what we have left is a run-of-the-mill, regrettably boring sci-fi show with a shoestring budget.

Exactly. Also since you bring it up, that scene with Gravik also shows that he has Extremis in him. So he's already a Super Skrull at this point.
Oh, wow. I didn't even pick up on that!

You all are saying "Marvel wouldn't waste Emilia Clarke like that" as if they hadn't waste Sigourney Weaver exactly the same way in The Defenders.

I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.

Not that Marvel hasn't wasted big name talent before, but it would be a new level of dumb if this is all we get from Emilia Clarke. She wasn't even given anything compelling to do BEFORE getting shot!

Overall, this show has been pretty hit and miss. Some good things, and I appreciate the darker tone, but it's just been incredibly meandering and clunkily edited so far. They've yet to show me a way for this story to work in the MCU. Making the Skrulls a race of refugees in Captain Marvel was a huge mistake. Between that and the lack of big name characters, I'm just not sold on this version of the story.

I’m not a fan of the show so far. It’s almost too dark. And Gravik sucks as a villain. And by sucks I mean he’s just evil and *****y for the sake of it. I don’t buy the anger from him about Fury not giving them a home. He just seems to like killing people and being a dick and I’m…over it

Another solid episode! No way she is dead, lol. I concur that Gravik is Super Skrull at this point.

1367368861c92d336ebdfe7754ad871fbd59637a.gifv

f67e8d5df359fd7dc3e61ceb23845988131f7f06.gifv

I’m not a fan of the show so far. It’s almost too dark. And Gravik sucks as a villain. And by sucks I mean he’s just evil and *****y for the sake of it. I don’t buy the anger from him about Fury not giving them a home. He just seems to like killing people and being a dick and I’m…over it
Like you I do prefer my villains a bit more 3 dimensional. It's rare for a person to be purely good or totally bad.

I for one am all for that. We never get legitimately evil villains these days. And they're obviously trying to give him some sort of tragic backstory, but I really wish we could get a classic Bad Guy with a Capital B. "Complex villains" can be interesting, but ones that own their villainy are the most fun/cool.

I for one am all for that. We never get legitimately evil villains these days. And they're obviously trying to give him some sort of tragic backstory, but I really wish we could get a classic Bad Guy with a Capital B. "Complex villains" can be interesting, but ones that own their villainy are the most fun/cool.

The High Evolutionary was pretty damn evil and I LOVED it.

Gravik is a little bit lame, so far. I wish he was scarier or more sympathetic. Well, there's time for all that, but in the first three episodes, he hasn't made an impact of any kind.

Maybe that’s when Fury knew Rhodes was a Skrull but had to play dumb knowing how far their reach is. It’s funny after this convo with Rhodes he goes straight to see his estranged wife…

Wait, I'm a little confused. Why did that Skrull care so much about the kid if he wasn't his real dad? Unless that was a Skrull kid but we were never told? Or was he just playing along to not reveal his identity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"