Season 1, Episode 1 What If: Captain Carter was ...The First Avenger? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by The Caped Knight, Aug 11, 2021.

1. BlackFox Need for Speed

The sequence with CC and Steve taking down a squadron of flying Messerschmitt bf 109s and 110s was the highlight for me, stunning seuquence.

2. BaelaTargaryen Registered

Hydra in What If? had the Tesseract before Steve took the serum too. Peggy stole the Tesseract from them after she took the serum and it was used to power Hydra Stomper. When Hydra captured Steve, they got the Tesseract back.

3. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

But that wasn't how they showed the progression of events. Also, in this it looks like Red Skull wantedt to unleash the monster from the beginning. Before Carter took the serum. That wasn't his goal in TFA, so that also would not have been affected the way it was shown.

4. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I enjoyed that. Really like the intro and outro with the Watcher. The animation is fine, was expecting a little worse given some of the previous Marvel stuff.

5. Zarex Registered

This may have been a "What If"ed version of Red Skull as well since his mask resembled Ross Marquand moreso than Hugo Weaving.

Overstuffing was a common issue with the 70s era "What If" comic books as well, but since they were recreating so much of the first Cap film in this one a two parter may have better fit this material.

Overall I thought it was pretty good, but a step or three below MODOK. It was a treat for hardcore MCU fans, but I don't see it appealing to casual viewers.

Iceman likes this.
  6. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yes, really enjoyed that. For some reason I wasn’t really expecting the action to be great in this but it’s been decent.

BlackFox and BobJM like this.
  7. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

The action looks much better in action than dialogue or slower scenes. The faces look really off to me during dialogue heavy scenes.

8. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

After watching this a couple of times, I went back and rewatched Captain America: The First Avenger and its made me appreciate the film even more. Steve Rogers really impacted the era with his debut as Captain America changing the tide of war as well as being a symbol to rely behind.

Captain Carter was used more like a secret weapon rather than a government puppet.

BlackFox likes this.
  9. MaceB Registered

I generally enjoyed the first episode. Folks say that it was rushed, and I'm sure that it was... but I sort of viewed it as a companion to TFA. I didn't feel like I had to follow the plot as much, because I've already seen the movie, and I was able to fill in the blanks.

The highlight for me: Peggy and Steve's relationship. I liked Captain Peggy and skinny Steve. Twas cute.

BobJM and Iceman like this.
  10. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Good point. I think this would have done better as a 2-parter.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I saw it like that too. Yeah, was fun to see a different dynamic in that relationship. I’d like to see more of Captain Carter somewhere else.

BlackFox and BobJM like this.
  12. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

The episode was good overall but was a little bit of a retread of Captain America: The First Avenger. Although Steve was shot, couldn't they have still put him in the SSS chamber? Perhaps he would've gained healing abilities.

The scenes with Captain Carter and the Hydra Stomper flying around together reminded me of Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E.

How were different people able to pick up the Tesseract? Shouldn't it have killed them as they held onto it?

Would've been cool if they managed to get some actors from Agent Carter.

In fact, perhaps Disney + could revive the Agent Carter TV series but as a reboot with Peggy Carter from a different universe as Captain Carter. Although they're going to have to use technology like Movie Reshape to make her look taller and bigger.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  13. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

14. bubbadoom Registered

Isn't that the point of this series - to take an existing story and retell it with one or two small changes to see how that impacts the MCU...

metaphysician and Iceman like this.
  15. TeeKay Registered

Agreed. It's gonna take me a long time to get used to the animation.

16. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

I'm assuming there's a likeness thing regarding some of the characters. Schmidt looked nothing like Weaving in this, and as far as future episodes go, Black Widow looks nothing like Scarlett Johansson and Peter Parker doesn't look like Tom Holland. If anything, he looks more like Andrew Garfield, oddly enough.

17. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

If everything changed because Peggy decided not to stay in the booth, then they should've had a line that Dr Tucci said "Well why don't we all stay out here on the floor and see it close up?" Otherwise if Peggy had originally gone behind the booth but everyone stayed outside it would've made no difference to the course of events.

18. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Did not love this. It was... decent at best. Mostly meh. The one great thing was the animation itself.

That being said I never really wanted animated movies in the MCU. I mean... There's a lot of great marvel cartoons, but to me they don't really belong in the universe they've developed. And this one specifically is woefully ill-conceived.

This to me is like a fun side story but would weaken the MCU as a whole if I were to think of it canonically. From a storytelling perspective, it was pretty abysmal. Beyond Carter herself, I wouldn't have even known a single character's name if I hadn't seen the movie it was remixing.

If I was ranking Captain Carter amongst the films in the MCU id give it a 6 or 7. Which is among the lowest of the low.

19. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Agreed.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  20. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

So you wouldn't have known skinny Steve Rogers or Red Skull or Dum Dum Duggan or Nick Fury? Hard to mistake Red Skull for anyone else.

21. P Supreme Registered

This was the definition of meh! So they just going to tell alternate versions of the movies in 30 mins in all these ? Were not getting punisher getting the venom suit or Hulk actually killing wolverine ? If not then im one and done with this

22. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

Er no. They advertised from day one this was alternate versions of the movies.

23. Gladius Nova Registered

It was just “ok”, but my standards are high after End Game. Hope Marvel doesn’t get too “corny” and lose focus

24. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I was hoping for more out of this particular What If...? if only because Atwell as Peggy has been really good from the start.

But I agree... This was pretty decentish at best and I don't blame the animation. It really was JUST a rushed version of TFA subbing out Peggy for Steve with not much deviation outside of how they chose to end the story... Which ends in the same ballpark as TFA anyway.

The story was not all that interesting, point blank. And with a 30 minute runtime rehashing a movie we all know, it had to be at least interesting and unique in some way and it for the most part wasn't, though I did get a kick out of them keeping Steve in the equation with a proto-Iron Man armor built by Howard.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  25. Bren Forevernoob

I loved the animation. Story was okay. Captain Carter and Iron Steve were awesome.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.