Jessica Jones Season 1, Episode 13 "AKA Smile" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

No,
The father gives a look of fear as he's compelled to do it. The look was an "I'm sorry, it didn't work" look. In actuality, the father kinda sucked at his job. He failed both at making a vaccine and at making Kilgrave control Jessica.

This is a discussion of episode 13. Do we need spoilers?

Finally finished this and I thought it was a superb finale. Loved seeing Trish get involved and the standoff between Jessica and Kilgrave with Trish was phenomenal. I was definitely surprised that Kilgrave seems to have been killed already because I can't imagine him being topped but we'll see. I liked the ending too with Malcolm's "Alias Investigations. How can WE help you?". For me the highlights of this show were the Jessica/Kilgrave and Jessica/Trish relationships. Both were very well done.

The final moments of Kilgrve in this episode was one of the best performances in any Marvel/DC live-action property. His character became so many things at once in that scene. Disgusting, pathetic, disturbing, sympathetic, mentally unstable, emotional... the list goes on.

Honestly disappointed with the finale, was expecting more of a showdown. At least they setup enough for season 2 I suppose. A great 13 episodes, but I think DD was better over all when looking back.

I can't imagine that they'll revive Killgrave. His death just seemed so final, and was such a triumphant resolution to this part of Jessica's story (symbolically triumphing over her trauma by killing the man who caused it), that undoing his death would diminish this finale, I think. I certainly don't think they'll bring him back by saying "oh BTW, he ALSO had a healing factor that we forgot to mention!" That would come off as a very sloppy retcon (as it did when they did that very thing with the same character in the comics).

The only way I could see the resurection of Killgrave working is if it happened in the Defenders, was the result of The Hand or Blackheart or some other supernatural baddie (in the upcoming Defenders mini or any future ones) using magic to raise him in order to throw Jessica off her game, and if it was played off as a huge end of episode cliffhanger "OH ****" moment.

That scenario might work out. Anything else I would just roll my eyes at

You're assuming they'd say he had it all along and they just neglected to show us that.
In fact they showed us the complete opposite with him needing a kidney transplant early on in episode 2. In that case YES, that would be terribly contrived writing.

But there's the injections hes been taking to increase his powers and that last huge dose he took this episode. Who's to say what side effects it could have on him. It's certainly within the realm of suspension of disbelief if they use that as the cause of an excellerated healing ability I'd say. His original powers were already an unintended by product of the treatment he was undergoing anyway so there's precedent there.

Loved the episode and the season.
Kilgrave's dad went out in a rather grisly way. Yuck!

Honestly disappointed with the finale, was expecting more of a showdown. At least they setup enough for season 2 I suppose. A great 13 episodes, but I think DD was better over all when looking back.

I think it would have been unfitting if there were a 'grander' showdown. The show is ultimately noir. I once read someone describe noir as "a single tragic bullet in the night". Killgrave's death certainly wasn't tragic, but the fact that Jessica had to kill him there and then, only after so much death and pain, certainly was.

I think its *possible* they could bring back Killgrave, if they really wanted to. His powers were ultimately based on experiments in nerve restoration, so especially with the experimental boosted levels? He might not naturally regenerate, but he could plausibly be *recoverable* to someone who fetched his body to run experiments on.

I don't think its likely, or would be a good idea, though. He's run his course.

Refresh my memory on how?

How he died?
Bleeding on the floor with his arms chopped off and the other guy using the garbage disposal unit to grind up his limbs.

Last edited:
That was horror movie gruesome

Probably the most stomach churning moment of a Marvel show since what Kingpin did with that car door in Daredevil :wow:

I'd say it was worse since the car door decapitation was mostly in the shadows and this wasn't.

I am satisfied with Finale. Jessica really sold her act to Kilgrave. Only nitpick is I wanted Murdock to represent her at the end when they already introduced Rosario. That would be such a great ending.

And also I think they will bring Kilgrave back and it will be connected with IGH.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the finale. I hope Kilgrave stays dead.

Over all, I absolutely LOVED the series. The last episode though, was the most disappointing of all of them.
Didn't mind how how things end/where they leave Jessica, her neighbour/new employee, Trish, Cage, etc, but everything else in the last episode was just so anti-climactic.

Didn't help that they teased us with the notion of calling in DD, and they even had those teasers online with her holding a Nelson and Murdock card. I thought, for sure, they were going to either kill Hogarth, or have her do what she eventually does/tries to with Killgrave, and that be irredeemable to Jessica, and Hope, and then they'd need a new Lawyer for Hope.
That would introduce Murdock for the last 2-3 episodes maybe, and then eventually he gets pulled in as DD at some point in the last episode.

Even without that though, they sure as bad place could have come up with a better resolution that was more than just one long, and barely suspenseful, 'will he be able to control her' set up, ended with a quick 'nope,' 'snap.'

I enjoyed the lead up, with Trish, the head phones, etc, then it just felt like such a let down with the dock scene.

Guess it should be expected to see this level of violence in a TV show based on a character originating under the MAX imprint of Marvel Comics.

Nice nod to Heroes for Hire at the end of the episode.

Neck snap, and this did not lead to people melting down and giving altering routes she should've taken?

QUOTE=Spider-Aziz;32526825]
Neck snap, and this did not lead to people melting down and giving altering routes she should've taken?
[/QUOTE]

Different character, different context. Jessica Jones killing is not something so inherently contradictory to her character as it is with Superman.

That said, and not to start up a new debate, but I was NOT upset with the end of MOS, just to contextualize my comments here.

A tad bit disappointing, mainly because it ended with Jessica killing Kilgrave, I am not against the killing in general since Kilgrave had run his course, and another season with the cat-and-mouse game would become repetitive

But she killed him, which she could have done a dozen times before in the season, instead she did it after he has killed another dozen people, for me the 'saving Hope' excuse was never enough justification

Also didnt get the 'loud music' part? Does one become immune to Kilgrave if they cant hear him? Because if that's true then it was very stupid of them to not figure out

She should have done that
(killed killgrave alonggg time ago)

For everyone saying that Matt and/or Foggy should've shown up at the end to represent Jessica after she was arrested: While it would've been cool, it would ultimately take a lot away from the finale (if not the entire series) for 3 reasons....

1. One cameo is enough. We already filled our Daredevil quota when Claire Temple showed up. Having N&M show up at the last minute would take focus away from the characters and events of this show.

2. There's no rush. We already know we're getting the Defenders down the line, so we know Matt and Jess will meet up eventually. Having Matt shoehorned into this story just for the bad place of it is pointless.

3. (and most important) It HAD to be Hogarth. Jeri screwed up big-time. As a result of sabotaging Kilgrave's cell and allowing him to escape, Hope is dead, her ex-wife is dead, and her girlfriend is a murderer and will likely never speak to Hogarth again. Hogarth may be ruthless and a bit selfish, but she's not a terrible person. In order for the events of these 13 episodes to come full circle, she needed that moment of redemption. Especially if (fingers crossed) we'll be seeing Hogarth again in Iron Fist. Getting Jessica, among others, cleared of murder/assault charges was that moment.

Finally finished this and I thought it was a superb finale. Loved seeing Trish get involved and the standoff between Jessica and Kilgrave with Trish was phenomenal. I was definitely surprised that Kilgrave seems to have been killed already because I can't imagine him being topped but we'll see. I liked the ending too with Malcolm's "Alias Investigations. How can WE help you?". For me the highlights of this show were the Jessica/Kilgrave and Jessica/Trish relationships. Both were very well done.

I know it can't happen because the shows would all be too similar in genre to maintain all three but I would be perfectly happy if the next group went something like:
Daredevil (with Matt, Foggy, Elektra, and Karen)
Alias Investigation (with Jess, Trish, and Malcolm)
Heroes For Hire (with Luke, Danny, Misty, and Wing)

Daredevil could deal mostly with the whole law/vigilante aspect, fighting mostly gangs and organizations. AI would be more of a PI show, dealing with small, personal cases the majority of which tied into the overarching story line. Most of her cases, even if they ended up involving superpowers, would come to her and appear more like every day tragedies. Trish would probably never really take on the Hellcat persona and Malcolm, well, he's not equip to deal with super villains so much like the first season powers would be super common. Luke, on the other hand, would run H4H and play up the whole superhero angle. They would be somewhere to go when normal people felt no one else could protect them.

DD would be the most like a classic, dark cop show - so mostly procedural mixed with good old fashion action (and because it's Matt throw in some tragic romance). AI would be more drama/suspense/mystery. And just to mix it up H4H would be more of your Buddy errr "cop" show. Actually your double buddy show with Wing/Knight and Cage/Rand. Those dynamics could lend themselves to all sorts of humor and over the top action. But with Luke there you still have someone to ground the show and give it a real sense of heart and moral compass.

Not that Marvel would ever go in that direction but, damn, that would be just about perfect for me. At the very least, whatever they choose to do with Jessica next - give her a second season or absorb her into a show with others - I hope we get even a glance of Malcolm answering the phone and Trish getting upset about the state of Alias Investigation's finances.

A tad bit disappointing, mainly because it ended with Jessica killing Kilgrave, I am not against the killing in general since Kilgrave had run his course, and another season with the cat-and-mouse game would become repetitive

But she killed him, which she could have done a dozen times before in the season, instead she did it after he has killed another dozen people, for me the 'saving Hope' excuse was never enough justification

Also didnt get the 'loud music' part? Does one become immune to Kilgrave if they cant hear him? Because if that's true then it was very stupid of them to not figure out

Yeah I'm pretty much in full agreement with you.

I guess the loud music is even though his virus is infecting you, you can't hear his commands I suppose. It's not his voice but the particles he gives off when he's near.

But yeah, basically working so hard to spare Kilgrave to save Hope was pointless. Look at all the people who died because he wasn't killed earlier. Innocent people who probably had families.

Last edited:
Maybe I missed something, but when Kilgrave calls her on the phone in the hospital, she's on a landline. She then puts the phone in the door with the cable stretched out and is seen walking through another door with a cellphone up to her ear. Was she supposed to have been talking to him on the cellphone suddenly? Was this an error or did I miss something?

For everyone who had an issue with Jessica just killing Kilgrave at the end when she could have done that ages ago, that is sort of the point.

First because she believed that having him alive would be the best way to exonerate Hope, and Hope is... Well, okay it's not really subtle here guys they literally named her hope. Hope is the first person in a long time - who knows how long - that made Jessica feel like a hero. You can see it in that first episode, with the hug. And as Trish would tell you, Jessica is a hero. Only she's pushed that instinct away since her trauma.

Think about the scene when Jessica first meets Kilgrave. She beats up some thugs and when Kilgrave asks her why she says, "Because I helped someone. I made a difference." That's the moment she meets Kilgrave, and after that until the series starts Jessica doesn't help anyone. She takes clients, sure, but not in order to save anyone, that's just a job. Jessica Jones may not be an origin story proper, but it is still about her becoming a hero. So that Hope is the first one to see her that way in so long, that is important, and it becomes important to Jessica to be a hero for Hope even if she never admits it.

Then there is just the fact that Jessica herself needed to be at a place where she could kill him. Look, this is a guy who had Jessica under his power for how long? He manipulated and abused her and those kinds of relationships are hard to get away from. Through out most of the series this is represented via Kilgrave's powers: the relationship is LITERALLY impossible to break away from. That's one of the things I loved most about this show is how it used the superpowers to tell a very real story. But Jessica still has all the normal signs of trauma.

(You could also argue that for a couple episodes she wanted to believe Kilgrave could be redeemed but I think that ties in to Jessica not being at a place where she was ready to completely severe that relationship.)

ETA: Also, while I'm aware of all the baggage that goes along with telling woman to smile and it's something I've had happen to me, this series did such a good job at integrating that throughout that now even just reading the title of episode 13 makes me shiver.

Solid finale to cap off an awesome first season for this show. Both the title character and the villain were absolutely great to watch every minute they were on screen and Luke Cage's appearances also boosted things for me. I really cannot wait for a 2nd season. Top quality TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"