Daredevil Season 1, Episode 2 "Cut Man" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

This shows why I think crap like The Raid/The Raid 2 sucks.

pB8jDMd.png

CAhX8ab.gif

The year willcome when MCU phase 3 is over. Avengers Infinity War is out and all the Netflix series have finished and the MCU takes a break or something. And I'll still be sitting there like "damn that fight scene was good."

Thats how I feel. After all is said and done Im not convinced that I will ever be as satisfied with something as I am with Daredevil. I do love Daredevil the most out of any Character MS has, so thats mainly why. Anything else beyond this point is whip cream and cherries.

Thats how I feel. After all is said and done Im not convinced that I will ever be as satisfied with something as I am with Daredevil.
Oh believe me this is Marvel, they always outdo themselves. If they raise the bar from Winter Soldier to this? Yeah, it only gets better.

The acting is fantastic. Loved the relationship Matt had with his dad.

Those who know me know how much I love Bruce Lee. I've always wanted to do a Bruce film- showing how he ACTUALLY FOUGHT. Not like in his movies. How he'd really take someone down. The end fight in DD ep 2 is very close to how he'd do it. Mostly hands. Marvel has my admiration.

Mostly hands? Legs are awesome weapons man. Not the flashy spinning round house kicks to the heads and flipping etc you see in movie but....knees and kicks and stomps? If you're mostly using hands you're missing 50% of your weapons

I have only one nit to pick with that fight scene and it's that Matt didn't take out the lights before it began. Looked to me like a no brainer seeing as how the fuse boxes were right there at the entrance. or he could've thrown something and broken them. Anyhoo that critique wasn't a problem in the next episode where he does do just that.

I have only one nit to pick with that fight scene and it's that Matt didn't take out the lights before it began. Looked to me like a no brainer seeing as how the fuse boxes were right there at the entrance. or he could've thrown something and broken them. Anyhoo that critique wasn't a problem in the next episode where he does do just that.

I had the same thought. Also, I imagine some people would ask, "Why didn't he just walk to the end of the hall and sneak the boy out?" My answers would be...

1) he didn't kill the lights because he was worried that random gunfire could hurt the boy
2) he wanted to beat the holy hell out of these guys

This episode was one of my favorites. Episode 2 and then 13.

This episode was insane!

I felt slightly underwhelmed with episode 1 but this just blew everything away.

I'm a big Batman fan but this episode alone has made me want to go out and learn more about Daredevil.

If you think about it, the hallway fight was unnecessary cause he could have just walked in, took the kid and left quietly. hahaha.

Last edited:
Well, if he got caught before he left, the kid would be placed in harms way.

Yeah but a lot of the things in this series are things I've always wanted from Batman. :sly:

I agree but the one thing that was always missing from the Nolan films--some great action scenes, particularly the fighting.

The hallway fight was beautiful. Excellent choreography and brutal. It was everything Batman should have been and more. I give big props to the creators of this show for putting forth that kind of work. But what I love most about this show is as much as I adore the action scenes and look forward to them, the character development and story are just as good if not better. This show is superb.

You take out the lights, it takes away the element of surprise, also gives way to random gunfire. Matt's able to take out the entire first room of guys before the second room really notices what's up. If he takes out the lights, both rooms empty almost immediately, yes, they can't see, but it makes things much more crowded and harder to control.

Again, I know late to the party, so, here's my take on CUT MAN:

1. Let's get right to the Elephant in the room... The hall fight. Is it overpraised a bit? Maybe. But it's very, very good, and it wasn't just because it is well choreographed. It also transmitted character. Matt was wounded and a bit desperate when he gets there and yet proceeds to put a whooping on these Russian goons in a way that showcased the character's willingness to suffer to get what ever his goal is. It was quite nice to see in this second episode that while these fights are still somewhat flashy, that there is still struggle and a visceral quality. Yes, there is intricate technique, but Cox and the stunt team also give us hard hits (that microwave) and a hero fighting exhaustion. There's definitely some OLD BOY flavor thrown in there as well, if not quite as brutal. And for me you know what the best part is? Matt walking out with the boy in his arms. That to me is what superheroes are all about.

2. Well... I am still not quite feeling Henson as Foggy. I don't know if it was a question of writing or his performance but... I still don't feel they got a handle on Foggy, or even know what to do with him. There's potential there but I don't get what the intent is... So far. This is still early goings.

3. I will say, I liked what they showed of Karen here. She is still traumatized from what happened to her. Which is a real life response. On shows too often we have a really scarring incident happen to a series regular... And then it's forgotten. Here there seems to be some more long view styled writing. Karen obviously has some issues, and my gut says she was the fragile sort BEFORE men came to her apartment to kill her. Still, with that said, I think I would have liked to see more flashbacks with Matt and his dad rather than the stuff with Foggy and Page. It just seemed like filler, frankly. It didn't ruin things by any stretch, but for myself, more back story with Matt and his dad would have been a better use of that time and made for a more satisfying episode.

4. John Patrick Hayden's Jack, whom I assume we see for the last time here, was also a standout here. I like that they kept him not entirely a saint nor just some cliche abusive dad. Here we see that while Jack wasn't a fool per se, he was willing to stake his life for the sake of giving his son something nebulous... It was... It was the wrong call for Jack for sure, but that's fine. It showed his character.

5. Cox as Matt this episode keeps impressing me. There are depths there, for sure. He plays Matt with a definite martyr complex, mixed with a world weariness that also makes me think of Zen, but beneath all that... There's got to be some anger fueling this all. His Matt, so far, is sharp, but can obviously also make mistakes.

6. Rosario Dawson's Claire was also quite good. She came off very real though strong. I like that they are thinking, yeah, DD is going to need medical help often. Makes sense to include a character like her. She performed exactly like someone that knows they are involved with something dangerous for sure.

Welp... On to the next episode.

Last edited:
Just got through the2nd episode, this show is amazing, first 2 episodes are just brilliant. I had high expectations when watching this, and this show has easily matched them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"