Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 3: "The Friendly Type" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score

moon-knight-oscar-isaac.gif

Episode Synopsis:
With Marc in the forefront and Harrow ahead, Marc and Layla navigate Cairo for intel.
Discuss Episode 3 of Moon Knight here.

Ten minutes in and this went from Indy inspired, to straight up Raiders of the Lost Ark. :funny:
Heh, I was gonna say, I don't think I like Moon Knight looking like a National Treasure movie. The aesthetic here just feels...wrong to me, idk.

Enjoying all the gods stuff though. I've never heard "Isis" pronounced like that and am now realizing I've always pronounced it wrong, lol.

Heh, I was gonna say, I don't think I like Moon Knight looking like a National Treasure movie. The aesthetic here just feels...wrong to me, idk.

Enjoying all the gods stuff though. I've never heard "Isis" pronounced like that and am now realizing I've always pronounced it wrong, lol.
That's definitely fair. The dig site just screamed Raiders... on a budget. :funny:

The gods stuff is really cool. The show feels the most like a Syfy show to me. Like you can really see the corners being cut and the budget bursting at the seams, because of how much more "high concept" this all feels. But I'm not gonna complain. I'm really into this.

So I guess in this show the Mr. Knight persona is just gonna be used as shorthand to show us it's Steven in the suit and not Marc. Ok. I'll miss the actual Mr. Knight, but I can roll with this, I suppose.

Not knowing much of anything about Moon Knight, three episodes in, the show is fine, but the saving grace is I enjoy Oscar Isaac and Maya Calamawy. They're both very fun to watch and carry it for me. The god council thing was neat though, wasn't expecting that.

Despite my quibbles with the aesthetics, really dug this episode. I appreciate how quickly Layla's gotten on board with Steven, and Marc's whole....situation, lol.

That Bek dude's gotta be working for one of the gods, right? I'm far from an expert on Egyptian mythology or history, but I'm pretty sure Bek is Egyptian for "Servant" and there was a famous historical figure with that name who worked for one of the Pharaohs. Might've been a Ra cultist, I wanna say? Just doesn't seem like a name they'd give a character randomly.

The first half of this episode feels bad for me, but the second half made it an okay/good episode. Random thoughts:

- Isaac still flex with his acting skills here, but the trial scene was cringe for me.

- 3rd personality seems to be confirmed since either Marc and Steven said they didnt kill the guys?

- Nice mention of Madripoor.

- I guess Marc killed Leylas father?

- I think its really inspiring how Leyla handle the Marc/Steven situation and it was good to see Stevens skills are useful and necessary

Last edited:
Yeah, Jake seems confirmed for sure now. I think people with review copies said there was some kind of cliffhanger next episode, guess that might have to do with Jake being revealed?

Also the introduction of the mild mannered naïve Steven, then reveal of the more serious mercenary Marc and now the tease of the more violent and unhinged Jake really reminds me of how Iron Fist had the mild mannered naïve Mary, the more serious soldier Walker and the tease of a more violent and unhinged Typhoid/Bloody Mary.

I'm curious to see what relevance Layla's father has and whether he, Layla or the forger have any comic ties.

Nice touch that Moon Knight's crescent hit Anton exactly at the stroke of Midnight. Though it seems we may not get him actually suited up as Midnight Man. If this was intended as the definitive ending to the character it may never have been planned anyway, but if there were any ideas to have him return in the future after this season we may not get it due to the unfortunate situation with Gaspard Ulliel...

EDIT: Was just thinking that Layla's father's death might have been the MCU version of Peter Alraune's death (Marlene's father) at the hands of Bushman after discovering Khonshu's stuff in the tomb of Seti, which was what lead to Marc first encountering Khonshu. Busman might not be the killer here, but I think the story might be based on that element of MK's backstory.

Last edited:
I thought the episode was good. I found the Egyptian god council particularly interesting. That's something I'd love to see carry over into the greater MCU.

Really enjoyed the episode, the hour just flew by. Oscar Isaac and May Calamawy really carried the episode and show for me. I need to find out what else Calamawy is in.

Just as Loki introduced Kang, I could definitely see this show introducing Gorr.

Having no knowledge of Moon Knight from the comics, can someone explain who the mysterious 3rd persona may be?

Putting some money down on one of the Egyptian gods getting killed in Thor to make Gorr look more threatening.

I think there's a solid chance that they might even show that in the post-credits scene of the last episode of MK.

Just as Loki introduced Kang, I could definitely see this show introducing Gorr.

100% agree. Granted, keeping a Christian Bale cameo secret would be a bit difficult, but crazier things have happened.

I thought the episode was good. I found the Egyptian god council particularly interesting. That's something I'd love to see carry over into the greater MCU.

I can definitely see something like that happening in Thor 4, what with the reports of Zeus, Bast and other deities showing up.

I can definitely see something like that happening in Thor 4, what with the reports of Zeus, Bast and other deities showing up.
I completely forgot that Bast is supposed to be in that too. Maybe there's room for some of the Egyptian gods.

Pretty dope episode. This show and the others makes me wish for an physical 4K release of them. I know it might not happen but to have the Disney Plus shows with my MCU film collection. Come on Disney I need to have them complete.
Anyway loving that they kept their promise and they are showing us a different side to Egypt. The fight sequences continue to impress. Liked that we got some Layla backstory in the opening. Oscar is killing it with this and Ethan putting in work as well but I expect nothing less from them with May doing her thing and keeping up with the two. Also meeting the other Egyptian Gods was cool and love their dynamic with each other.

I completely forgot that Bast is supposed to be in that too. Maybe there's room for some of the Egyptian gods.

I wouldn't say its impossible that Khonshu might even make an appearance in L&T.

This episode was fun and I just love this show. It vibes with me. I am not mad at the Mr. Knight thing cause they do need a short hand so we know who is in control and it is easiest visual way.

But I wonder given Loki introduced us to He Who Remains, I wonder if Rama Tutt may not get mentioned in this show. I would see that as more likely than En Sabah Nur.

I see the Council of Gods here getting slaughtered or found dead at the end of the series as a L&T tie in.

Probably the worst episode thus far. The fight on the rooftop was so laughably bad and the overall pacing felt like they didn’t properly storyboard everything. I really wish Marvel made this a more mature show that didn’t feel so “Disney” or Syfy network.

I’m not holding my breath with what the creators keep saying about Episode 4 being shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"