Season 1 / Episode 5: What If... Zombies!?

Well the Strange episode was pretty gut wrenching and all I can think about is him alone forever in a little glass ball of misery. That's pretty heavy.

Zombie Avengers is just sort of Zombieland type fun. Yes it's sad they're all dead but sort of funny? Except Wanda. That **** was scary.

Very disappointed it didn't end up being Keaton voicing Peter but we finally got an Uncle Ben mention! It took an animated series to get it but I'll take it.

Definitely a bit of a mixed bag. Enjoyable, fun but tonally it was a little off.

Kind of irrelevant but Spider-Man being unmasked for pretty much the entirety of the episode didn't make sense - especially when he had the video about staying safe and wearing long sleeves, etc.

Good episode though and I actually really liked Spidey here.

ZombieWanda... That intro, sound - Awesome!
Scott Lang was too much.
Mixed bag but more than enough good things to make it all round fun. Popcorn episode.

So, Thanos being Zombie means Guardians are Zombies as well. I'm assuming. Well, maybe Groot and Rocket still went on their quest with Thor. Could they be hiding in Wakanda?
Speaking of Wakanda...Is it really unaffected? We saw Strange and Wong making portals. They could've gone there anytime they wanted. Maybe T'Challa, Peter and Scott arrive to just another type of hell. Zombie Thor? Damn.
Thanos will no doubt be there to get the stone. It's an almost impossible scenario, but if they get the gauntlet, that could be a solution for the apocalypse. (Last we saw Hulk was still alive, right? He could still be the one doing the snap).

And if Thanos was infected, there's a chance the virus is already in space? Captain Marvel might be on her way.

Weird to think, the virus started in San Francisco. There's a zombie Shang-Chi around. (I'm counting the Eternals ran away lol).

Also, maybe Spider-Man will be the one recruited by The Watcher for the season finale. (Captain Carter, T'Challa Star Lord, Sorcerer Armani, Spider-Man Zombie Hunter so far. Who could be from episode 3?)

Great episode. I was only waiting for Scott to mention the biggest disappointment of him not having a body is that he can't dance to Thriller.

So, Thanos being Zombie means Guardians are Zombies as well. I'm assuming. Well, maybe Groot and Rocket still went on their quest with Thor. Could they be hiding in Wakanda?
Speaking of Wakanda...Is it really unaffected? We saw Strange and Wong making portals. They could've gone there anytime they wanted. Maybe T'Challa, Peter and Scott arrive to just another type of hell. Zombie Thor? Damn.
Thanos will no doubt be there to get the stone. It's an almost impossible scenario, but if they get the gauntlet, that could be a solution for the apocalypse. (Last we saw Hulk was still alive, right? He could still be the one doing the snap).

And if Thanos was infected, there's a chance the virus is already in space? Captain Marvel might be on her way.

Weird to think, the virus started in San Francisco. There's a zombie Shang-Chi around. (I'm counting the Eternals ran away lol).

Also, maybe Spider-Man will be the one recruited by The Watcher for the season finale. (Captain Carter, T'Challa Star Lord, Sorcerer Armani, Spider-Man Zombie Hunter so far. Who could be from episode 3?)

Great episode. I was only waiting for Scott to mention the biggest disappointment of him not having a body is that he can't dance to Thriller.
I think Thanos would have gotten infected upon his arrival to Earth since I doubt any of the zombies would have had a way to leave the planet. When we see Zombie Thanos at the end, the only stone missing from the Gauntlet is the mind stone, which is currently with Spider-Man, insinuating that he came to Earth specifically for that stone (the Time Stone as well, but he could have just taken that from Strange's body in New York).

I think we might get the answers in a future season. The ending definitely gave off a "to be continued" vibe. Hopefully Thor and the Guardians join the fray.

Very disappointed it didn't end up being Keaton voicing Peter but we finally got an Uncle Ben mention! It took an animated series to get it but I'll take it.

Definitely a bit of a mixed bag. Enjoyable, fun but tonally it was a little off.

Kind of irrelevant but Spider-Man being unmasked for pretty much the entirety of the episode didn't make sense - especially when he had the video about staying safe and wearing long sleeves, etc.

Good episode though and I actually really liked Spidey here.

Wait so that WASNT Keaton after all? Throughout the whole episode i was thinking “wow! Keaton emulates Holland perfectly!” Was it actually Holland?

Wait so that WASNT Keaton after all? Throughout the whole episode i was thinking “wow! Keaton emulates Holland perfectly!” Was it actually Holland?
No it was Hudson Thames

Oh crap so that Twitter guy was full of s*** then (then again serves us right for listening to twitter :funny:)

Oh crap so that Twitter guy was full of s*** then (then again serves us right for listening to twitter :funny:)
Probably assumed since Keaton did the one line Captain America had in this episode

I think this episode was the dumbest yet. It had so much of what I've begun to dislike about the MCU. The dumb comedy in serious situations. Ant-Man and the Wasp. Vision and Scarlet Witch. MCU Spider-Man!

It was a fun episode but there were a couple of "huh" moments for me.

First huh moment is "why do these civilian zombies seem like your normal everyday zombies but Avengers zombies are of higher intellect?" they retained how to use their gadgets, powers, etc...it was weird. Do we really expect a zombie to know how to grow small and bite people?

Second huh that I think wasnt intentional at all but kind of noticeable...they killed off every single female that was in this episode.

I was pissed for my girl Sharon getting taken out the way she did!

Thought this one was a mess, wildly inconsistent tone (especially disappointing after they went as dark as they did for the Strange episode, the constant jokes killed this for me), zombie intellect is very inconsistent, and it ends very abruptly. Probably the weakest episode so far for me.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the episode, but I do wish they dialed back a bit on the comedy at times, because it really was like rapid fire jokes one after the other, although I did laugh pretty hard at Giant, Zombie Hope randomly throwing a zombie at the Quinjet. I think moments of comedy like that really worked well in this episode and I even got a few chuckles out of the other character interactions, but Scott was just too much in this episode.

The best stuff easily everything with Zombie Wanda and I wish we got more of that instead and we definitely should have saw more of that fight between her and Hulk.

Also, I was honestly kind of frustrated when it ended on that cliffhanger with Zombie Thanos because now we have to wait all the way until next week to see what happens next.

This episode could have easily been an hour long and it would have been better IMO.

I really enjoyed the episode for the most part, but I do wish the tone had been darker and less comedic.

It was a lot of fun seeing new dynamics with MCU characters that had little to no interaction with each other. Was surprised to see Kurt, Okoye, Happy and Shannon in the episode with the other characters!

The voice acting was also pretty good! The guy voicing Spidey was really good, but I was bummed Keaton didn’t voice him. Favreau, Dastmalchian, VanCamp, Guriria, Rudd, Ruffalo, Bettany, Boseman all did great! Stan sounded a bit better, but still seemed off!

I really loved Wanda’s entrance with the music, sound and animation! Cheered seeing Hulk fight the zombies at the end.

Was surprised seeing that Scott was still alive at the end, as I thought he would have bit the dust, causing me to think why they would only have Paul Rudd record a few lines, but I was proven wrong. Also loved seeing Hope have a bigger part than I expected, and her dynamic with Peter.

And a reference to Uncle Ben!

Cliffhanger makes me want a sequel for this, but it also makes me sad that Boseman isn’t with us anymore! :csad:

Actually probably the weakest episode for me. I mean it had some nice moments, but these weren't zombies.

Zombie Stark still using his suit? Zombie Wong & Strange still using their magic? Zombie Wanda still using her magic. Zombie Sam flying...

Yeah, that's a no from me.

“What if?” More like What the…?
Didn’t catch the vibe. Around a 7 out of 10.

This one was weird, it started alright but it quickly fell off the rails… my favorite thing about it was Spider-Man Zombie Hunter and the Cloak of Levitation, the rest wasn’t really on par quality-wise. There was some flawed logic going on with the premise, I get it’s zombies but still, for every inventive idea there was a random or convenient one.

I also think the humor fell flat for most cases. Some stuff just felt wrong and really weird.

For me it was kind of a filler episode mid season.

While I am greatly enjoying the series, my roommate/friend is not. I don’t know if it’s because of the animation or what, but she does not seem to.

She makes jokes like
“What If… This show Didn’t Suck”
“What If… This Show Never Existed?”

We disagree, but I couldn’t help but laugh!

One other thing I would like to mention is the way they ended this episode, it was rushed and made the story fell incomplete.

The story was progressing just fine and then… abrupt stop. One last thing, this episode did feel like part 1 of something. That ending really didn’t work for me.

Last edited:
This was a weird ass episode.

Like I enjoyed it, it was funny as hell but it was dark, but I do agree with someone on the last page who said that it felt rushed. And then they're killing off their fellow Avengers and making one-liners about it, without feeling any kind of remorse (especially the Cap and Bucky kill).

But those exchanges man... Happy saying "Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, we have to go to Jersey!" and then Okoye's "We don't have horror movies, we watch American reality tv" and all of Rudd's lines actually had me cracking up. Then you get the lovey dovey WandaVision stuff that tugs at you and the Hulk/Hope sacrifices.

Guess the best way to describe this episode is:
quicksilver-whisper.gif

Points to them for finally acknowledging Uncle Ben.

As someone who loved Zombieland, this was a really fun watch. It was also more gruesome and unsettling than I expected, which is becoming a pattern for this series.

A shining moment for me in this episode was when Vision revealed Scarlett Witch hunger. The way the doors turned red and opened up, with that great ominous sound when she revealed herself… was really well done and very scary. Top notch stuff from the series as a whole.

screenshot-2021-09-08-at-11-23-02.png

I enjoyed the humor and interesting character interactions in this one. But I REALLY could have done without Vision holding T'Challa captive and feeding his body parts to Zombie Wanda. Vision going full horror villain made Thanos becoming the quirky muscle on a superhero squad seem comparatively in character.

Felt like the original version of this was too dark so they added in a lot of sloppy humor at the last second. Made me wish Scott Lang would've died early on. He was really getting on my nerves. They did go darker at times than Marvel usually does though, so that was still fun to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"