Season 1 / Episode 9: What If… (Finale)

I'm sure cost considerations came into play as well. If "What If?" were live action the budget would have blown past Amazon's LOTR series.

They could've pulled it off on a decent budget. COIE was about the multivitamin being in danger and heroes from the multiverse saving all of reality. Arrowverse turned it into E1, 2 from E-Super, and black lightning saving the multiverse when they couldve had majority of the cast play doppelgangers recruited by the Monitor.

I'm sure cost considerations came into play as well. If "What If?" were live action the budget would have blown past Amazon's LOTR series.

They could've pulled it off on a decent budget.
If it were live action, any of these episodes on their own would have skyrocketed the budget with the only possible exception being the Doctor Strange one since that could have in theory just been Cumberbatch in front of a greenscreen for the entire thing.

This finale was fairly tame. It could be pulled off on a regular Avenue budget. It could easily be adapted to a tv budget as well. Would it be frame for frame? No. But we dont need that. Thr basic foundation is the point.

Wow, I really had my issues with this series but I was satisfied with this final. Only thing I dont like is how random Gamorra was added to the group, propably the episode pushed in season 2 or cut away?

The action was on point, I liked the struggle of Carter and Natasha in the end (Stealth Carter suit is awesome!).

Natasha really has a thing for people that shield doesn't she? Not necessarily romantically but besties forever

I was mostly satisfied with the finale aswell and really loved how the Avenger's esque battle was handled towards the end with pretty much everyone getting their moment to shine, but it definitely felt a bit rushed and I wish we got to see more of The Watcher's actual plan against Ultron Prime.

Thor's interactions with everybody aswell as the suprisngly great, buddy chemistry between Peggy and Widow were easily the biggest standouts to me besides the awesome action.

I really liked the end credit tag too and am very much looking forward to Season 2.

Aw that was wonderful.

I really enjoyed the episode for the most part, though it was weird to see Gamora thrown into the team, going to be weird to see the delayed episode in S2, but still looking forward to it.

Was fun seeing Star Lord T’Challa, Party Thor, Black Widow, Kilmonger, Captain Carter again, and I really enjoyed the dynamic between BW and Carter especially. t was great to see the power displays and use of combat from BW, Carter and T’Challa, and especially Strange Supreme.

Wasn’t expecting to see most of the cliffhangers wrapped up so quickly, Also wasn’t expecting Ultron to be beaten so easily as those reappearance from Zombie Scarlett Witch and Zola

Wanted the episode to be a bit longer, and a bit more Watcher, but I had a lot of fun! Can’t wait for S2, but I’m sad this was the last time we’ll hear Boseman. :csad:

8/10

Last edited:
Looking at the Guardians of the Multiverse.

Strange Supreme - I feel like this series was basically a launch ramp to Doctor Strange: MOM and in being so the character of Doctor Strange got the biggest spotlight. They turned a good character evil and in the process made him comic book level powerful. The backstory for the character was really well done and the way he displayed his otherwordly capabilities where big standouts. That detail of him opening the zombies portal and hinting at Scarlett Witch was a clear nod at DS: MOM.

Party Thor - This Thor is a very different character. Party Thor as the name entails is just a reckless, dumb and spoiled brat without the influence of Loki to mold him into a better version of himself. Not to mention that we meet him very early on, before all the events and experiences that make him the Thor we now know. Party Thor is fun but other than that he doesn't adds up to much, while his main timeline counterpart is a much more layered character. Endearing, relatable, funny, serious, cool...

Gamora -
Since her episode was moved into season 2, it's hard to make any considerations about her. She looks cool, she's also pretty serious and badass but other than that there's not much to go on about.

King Killmonger -
It's a cerebral look at the villain and at how much he was able to accomplish. A cunning chess player with strong motivations and even stronger capabilities. He's the Ying to T'challa's Yang.

Captain Carter -
I thought her character was a standout. I really like her and specially when they brought her to the present i thought she really shined. I think she's a welcome addition to the MCU and i hope we'll see her introduced introduced in live-action.

T'Challa Star Lord -
Just the ultimate good guy. RIP Chadwick Boseman.

Black Widow -
The post-apocalyptic vibe and world fit the character really well. Having said that, at this point we've seen so much of the character that it doesn't really surprise or amaze that much.

Just saw the finale. I thought it was fine.
I think they went so big before that they didn’t know how to wrap it up in a cohesive and satisfying manner.

They wrapped a lot of stuff so quickly and almost inexplicably. The random way the Watcher picked the elements of that team was puzzling to say the least. Things weren’t set up properly and it felt very much like a short light show without much of a substance, beautiful to look at but not much else.

While I do get that this is a cartoon and should be viewed and enjoyed as such, it did feel like a lot of stuff was put in a blender and what we got was a bit underwhelming. There needed to be more attention to detail when constructing the series, developing the interaction of stories… and if the plan was to bring this team together then things needed to be seeded and prepared well in advance.

I just feel like they had a good concept but kind of missed the mark in several aspects. I just expected more and better to be honest.
Agreed. More attention to detail, getting the right tone and humour balance in certain episodes, and planning it all out better including links between episodes could have made moved up this series from a 7 to a 9 for me. I still enjoyed it all but the whole could have been improved a lot in many ways.

Looking at the Guardians of the Multiverse.

Strange Supreme - I feel like this series was basically a launch ramp to Doctor Strange: MOM and in being so the character of Doctor Strange got the biggest spotlight. They turned a good character evil and in the process made him comic book level powerful. The backstory for the character was really well done and the way he displayed his otherwordly capabilities where big standouts. That detail of him opening the zombies portal and hinting at Scarlett Witch was a clear nod at DS: MOM.

Party Thor - This Thor is a very different character. Party Thor as the name entails is just a reckless, dumb and spoiled brat without the influence of Loki to mold him into a better version of himself. Not to mention that we meet him very early on, before all the events and experiences that make him the Thor we now know. Party Thor is fun but other than that he doesn't adds up to much, while his main timeline counterpart is a much more layered character. Endearing, relatable, funny, serious, cool...

Gamora -
Since her episode was moved into season 2, it's hard to make any considerations about her. She looks cool, she's also pretty serious and badass but other than that there's not much to go on about.

King Killmonger -
It's a cerebral look at the villain and at how much he was able to accomplish. A cunning chess player with strong motivations and even stronger capabilities. He's the Ying to T'challa's Yang.

Captain Carter -
I thought her character was a standout. I really like her and specially when they brought her to the present i thought she really shined. I think she's a welcome addition to the MCU and i hope we'll see her introduced introduced in live-action.

T'Challa Star Lord -
Just the ultimate good guy. RIP Chadwick Boseman.

Black Widow -
The post-apocalyptic vibe and world fit the character really well. Having said that, at this point we've seen so much of the character that it doesn't really surprise or amaze that much.
Nice summary. I will be very happy if we get to see this Strange and Captain Carter in live action.

Nice summary. I will be very happy if we get to see this Strange and Captain Carter in live action.
I would also like to see Strange Supreme, having said that he’s way OP for the MCU and they would need to tweak some elements to make it work.

Strange Supreme’s power is basically comic book level. He has the Eye of Agamoto and the Time Stone and he spent many years absorbing the power of countless mystical beings including another version of himself. No wonder they put him in a pocket dimension because he’s so powerful, enough to rival The Watcher and even Ultron with all the Infinity Stones.

Captain Carter stood out as the leader and definitely was a huge success much like Captain America. This felt like The First Avengers Assemble with the Guardians of the Multiverse.
I'd like to see her lead a live action team one day in the longer term future.

I would also like to see Strange Supreme, having said that he’s way OP for the MCU and they would need to tweak some elements to make it work.

Strange Supreme’s power is basically comic book level. He has the Eye of Agamoto and the Time Stone and he spent many years absorbing the power of countless mystical beings including another version of himself. No wonder they put him in a pocket dimension because he’s so powerful, enough to rival The Watcher and even Ultron with all the Infinity Stones.
Yeah, I think they can use a version that fits within the MCU. MoM feels like it could really change things up for what is possible in the MCU.

. And Lake Bell’s performance as BW was perfect. It honestly sounded like ScarJo in some scenes.

agreed she really nailed it she sounds SO much like her I had to double check to see who was playing Widow LOL

49514e76a240a5a54e8dbf6e16309505e7644c1e.gifv

I won't be upset, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if none of these characters appear in MoM, especially Carter and Strange Supreme, and if Chadwick Boseman were still with us T'Challa Starlord would've been fun to see in live action as well.

when the Guardians were just beating the everloving snot out of Ultron I had a BIG grin on my face. I loved that Peggy was wearing a 'stealth version' of her suit kinda like Cap's was in Winter Soldier (bonus for Widow having that era's hair being all straight, I love details like that).

so i read earlier in the thread that at the end, Widow was dropped into Episode 3's universe. i guess i wasn't paying attention to that detail or i missed it, but i was for some reason hoping that she was being dropped into the "original universe" because we lost her when she sacrificed herself. i thought it was going to be a way to bring her back but i mustve missed something

Finale was very entertaining. Episode played out like the climax in a big budget movie. Beginning felt a bit rushed when Watcher was recruiting everybody and Gamora’s presence felt very random as we had not seen her prior to this. Wish they would have kept the Gamora episode to make it flow better

Thor was once again hilarious. The real standout here I thought was Peggy. I’m looking forward to see more of her in her own universe especially with that tease during the mid credits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"