Season 1 / Episode 9: What If… (Finale)

The duration of the episodes has been between 30 and 36 minutes. At the very least this episode has to be on the high end of those figures. As far as i'm concerned give it 45 minutes so it has time to breathe and "wrap" a lot of stuff in a more pleasing manner.

Very nice finale. Curious to see how they will handle Season 2 and the postponed Gamora episode. I would love to see this roster of Guardians of the Multiverse again(T'challa :( )

Episode was cool. Not sure how much this needs to effect MoM though. Finale wrapped the story lines up pretty good. Maybe a Watcher cameo or something would be cool, but I wouldn't go too nuts.

This did make me wish that other episode had been finished. Yeah, the story didn't matter in order to understand this episode,, but her character feels the most random without it.

But yeah...one giant and really cool battle. I dig it

Decent finale and nice twist on the Endgame movie with the different characters, Captain Carter was the standout for me but has been my favourite from the start but everyone played their part well enough. Not my favourite episode but decent enough as it was mostly just an end boss battle.

Certainly an up and down series but good enough as a side distraction to the main MCU and interested to see what they do in season 2.

I was very impressed by the finale and the series as a whole. Excellent storytelling throughout, with the exception of the "What if Steve Rogers was replaced by someone almost exactly like him?" episode, a world we unfortunately wasted time in again. But the creators did a really nice job providing a fun finale while also wrapping up all the preceding episodes within a limited run time.

Quite unfortunate about the missing episode. Felt random to have Gamora here now and her episode seems to be somewhat spoiled for next season now.

So I liked the finale but I thought the previous episode was a bit better. Nothing in this impressed me as much as Uatu vs. Ultron. Nevertheless, it was cool seeing the Guardians of the Multiverse interact with each other, especially Peggy and Natasha, which was a team-up I didn't know I needed. But what took me out of the episode a bit was the part where Uatu recruits Gamora when she and Tony are on Nidavellir. Did they give a reason why her episode with Tony on Sakaar wasn't completed other than they ran out of time? It just doesn't make sense to me that they gave up on finishing it for this season when it ties in to the finale even more than the zombie episode did. Seeing that episode in context might have increased my enjoyment of the episode but as it was it was pretty good finale. I especially loved the ending where Uatu brought Natasha to the universe of Episode 3.

My hope for season two is that I'd rather see more stand-alone stories that don't necessarily interconnect like this season did. But I'm sure we'll be seeing more Captain Carter after that credits scene as well as a pickup of the zombies storyline.

Not sure if I get exactly what happened at the end there. I was wondering why Killmonger was brought in since he didn’t really add anything to the team but I guess Watcher needed him to steal the stones from Ultron’s body. Which doesn’t make any sense since anyone could have done that.

Visually this was a great episode. It seems to have improved greatly from the first episode. And Lake Bell’s performance as BW was perfect. It honestly sounded like ScarJo in some scenes.

Yeah, the Watcher's plan did seem rather arbitrary and didn't make a whole lot of sense in-universe (though clearly it existed to bring all the separate episodes together).

Wonder how Captain Carter knew Natasha's biological father was Ivan.

Some things seemed a bit forced and/or rushed again, as happens throughout this show. For example the Nick Fury line about how this Natasha isn't 'his Natasha' but he feels she has her spirit. Seems to come a bit out of nowhere.

But what took me out of the episode a bit was the part where Uatu recruits Gamora when she and Tony are on Nidavellir. Did they give a reason why her episode with Tony on Sakaar wasn't completed other than they ran out of time? It just doesn't make sense to me that they gave up on finishing it for this season when it ties in to the finale even more than the zombie episode did

No just that COVID delayed things and that's the episode they decided to delay. I do agree that delaying the Zombie episode might have been better, as their inclusion wouldn't have really spoiled much for that particular episode (other than maybe Wanda).

They pulled the Gamora episode because it resembled GOTG3 right? It was weird that she was the only one we hadn't met.

Overall good finale, it's what the Arrowverse COIE should've looked like but......they uncreative over there.

Glad to see that at least one version of BW got a happy ending. Id love to continue following her story. I wonder if the decision was made to have so much Natasha in this series to go off the hype of the solo movie?

Marvel really should spin off at least 1 or 2 of these universes and explore them more in depth.

No just that COVID delayed things and that's the episode they decided to delay. I do agree that delaying the Zombie episode might have been better, as their inclusion wouldn't have really spoiled much for that particular episode (other than maybe Wanda).
Yeah, I agree. I could see them wanting to use zombies for marketing to draw people in though. I think episode 3 with Pym killing Avengers could've been pushed back to season 2 pretty easily too. Since the main focus of that one wouldn't lead you to believe it's the one where Loki takes over until the end.
But I guess it also depends on how far along the different episodes were when they realized covid delays would lead to them scrapping an episode. If zombies and Pym were very far along and the Sakaar episode has barely started that'd make sense.

They pulled the Gamora episode because it resembled GOTG3 right? It was weird that she was the only one we hadn't met.

No that's a separate thing. In another interview, the writers mentioned when they were first coming up with ideas for the show in pre-production, one of the story ideas they nixed was similar to GOTG3. They delayed Tony/Sakaar episode because they couldn't meet their deadline due to COVID. We're still gonna see the episode next season.

But I guess it also depends on how far along the different episodes were when they realized covid delays would lead to them scrapping an episode. If zombies and Pym were very far along and the Sakaar episode has barely started that'd make sense.

Yea true, I didn't think of that. The Sakaar episode could have been not been far enough in post as compared to some of the others. I don't know when the episode would have been in the original episode line up but I know a lot of times these shows work episodes out of order.

Last edited:
I was very impressed by the finale and the series as a whole. Excellent storytelling throughout, with the exception of the "What if Steve Rogers was replaced by someone almost exactly like him?" episode, a world we unfortunately wasted time in again. But the creators did a really nice job providing a fun finale while also wrapping up all the preceding episodes within a limited run time.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the Captain Carter episode either. I love Peggy as a character. I love the character design. But the episode was just so boring an uninspired. But that said....the Killmonger one I think aged the worst for me. That one I just hated the writing and it had to go out of its way to make everyone in that universe the stupidest people possible for the story to play out.

Thankfully those glimpses were short in this episode. But I do wish the unaired episode were finished and maybe this one was the season 2 premiere instead of the finale if it came down to being unable to finish 1. The Gamora in this episode I don't think works because of the lack of context. She just feels random since hers didn't air. If we had a random team, that is one thing. But a developed team except 1 character makes the 1 not developed distracting.

Don't think so. The one that resembled GotG3 was immediately denied after the pitch so it wouldn't have had scenes made for the final episode to tie into it or marketing like a LEGO set, etc.

The Gamora one was just pushed to season 2 due to covid delays.

Yeah but I'm sure they knew that the zombie episode would have been one of, if not the most popular episode so they wanted to make sure that one was in the slate.

Keep an eye out for that "pocket dimension" that Supreme Strange is protecting to have a blink and you'll miss it cameo in MOM.

Overall good finale, it's what the Arrowverse COIE should've looked like but......they uncreative over there.

I'm sure cost considerations came into play as well. If "What If?" were live action the budget would have blown past Amazon's LOTR series.

Decent finale. Overall, I liked the show. That said, I was never a big fan of the CG or animation style.

Ross Marquand as Infinity Ultron was...weird. It didn't sound anything like James Spader.

Lake Bell does a lot better as a soundalike for Scarlett Johansson.

Just saw the finale. I thought it was fine.
I think they went so big before that they didn’t know how to wrap it up in a cohesive and satisfying manner.

They wrapped a lot of stuff so quickly and almost inexplicably. The random way the Watcher picked the elements of that team was puzzling to say the least. Things weren’t set up properly and it felt very much like a short light show without much of a substance, beautiful to look at but not much else.

While I do get that this is a cartoon and should be viewed and enjoyed as such, it did feel like a lot of stuff was put in a blender and what we got was a bit underwhelming. There needed to be more attention to detail when constructing the series, developing the interaction of stories… and if the plan was to bring this team together then things needed to be seeded and prepared well in advance.

I just feel like they had a good concept but kind of missed the mark in several aspects. I just expected more and better to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"