Season 1, Episodes 1-3 (Spoiler Discussion)

Man, I really, really, really dug those three episodes so much. The cinematography, the VFX, production design, score, acting, writing were top notch. I know it seemed slow, but for me, I was always intrigued and left wanting more, especially after episode 3!

Also felt like the we finally got the grittiness that was mostly missing from Boba Fett.

This is definitely the best Star Wars show on Disney+ in terms of cinematography, imo

Man, I really, really, really dug those three episodes so much. The cinematography, the VFX, production design, score, acting, writing were top notch. I know it seemed slow, but for me, I was always intrigued and left wanting more, especially after episode 3!

Also felt like the we finally got the grittiness that was mostly missing from Boba Fett.

This is definitely the best Star Wars show on Disney+ in terms of cinematography, imo
The Book of Boba Fett, out of all of the Disney+ Star Wars shows so far, felt like it was made to sell toys.

This show is practically a bunch of nudity/sex scenes and swearing away from being a prestige HBO drama. That’s how quality it feels. Also the most politically charged and the most critical of a lot of real world issues. It’s so hard to believe that this is a Disney+ show. Tony Gilroy really don’t give a ****. :funny:

People age really fast in the Star Wars Universe during that time period, I guess. I mean, have you seen Obi-Wan Kenobi, Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen? :funny:

Little do people know Palpatine was only 36 here...

iu

The Book of Boba Fett, out of all of the Disney+ Star Wars shows so far, felt like it was made to sell toys.

This show is practically a bunch of nudity/sex scenes and swearing away from being a prestige HBO drama. That’s how quality it feels. Also the most politically charged and the most critical of a lot of real world issues. It’s so hard to believe that this is a Disney+ show. Tony Gilroy really don’t give a ****. :funny:

Tony Gilroy saying ACAB is causing Feige stress.

Having rewatched the show while much more rested, yeah, this is great. I do love getting an actual look at the Corporate Sector. I do look forward to the Empire stepping in on the corpo cops.

Like I said, its down to viewpoint. I mean, Lost Stars isn't, even though it weaves through the Saga. The Amidala books, which are almost as much Sabe books, are mainly because of the main characters.

For me, the story crossing paths with the Saga characters doesn't exactly make it part of the Saga.
I'm not going to get into the difference between books, comics, and the film/show offerings. But they are selling this, like Rogue One, on Saga imagery. Just like they did with Obi-Wan. You can't make this show without the Empire or the Rebellion, and that's straight up,100% saga material. To the point that even with Boba being on Tatooine, this feels more Saga then Boba. And Boba, like Mando, is 100% Saga material.

I found it odd how on the nose the "did you swim over" dialogue was. There are a couple of these type of things in the show. We get it, he's Mexican. I hope this isn't the entire series. This is the first time I recall Star Wars bringing up an actors race in such a manner. At least I don't recall it in anything else Star Wars. Well I hope the writers are more clever than this.

I thought the guy who was really gung ho about his job was funny (Linus Mosk). I don't really buy Diego Luna as someone who can manhandle anyone, so they should stick to blaster fights with him. Any hand to hand fights Luna has just look comical. Maybe I don't see it because I see him more as comic relief. I never bought him as a cartel leader either in narcos. One of my favorite movies of his is Rudo y Cursi.

I was curious why everyone of the Pre-more except the deputy inspector (Kyle Soller) had accents. I wonder if they just wanted him to stand out more.

Overall the show is interesting. It does have what I wanted. A story set in the Star Wars galaxy. We have all these planets and never visit them. This show at least takes us to different places. I will give it more episodes.

Oh by the way that little droid, anyone else think he looks kind of phallic?
I mean, he's not Mexican. He's Kenari.

But if you think this is the first time Star Wars has ever dealt with race and class structure, I would point you to a little film called TPM, and the Gungans. The clone army, a group of brown slaves, the white supremacist sect of the Mandos, the Tusken Raiders, or at least a half a dozen TCW stories.

I'm caught up with the first three episodes. The show looks amazing, no doubt there, but I'm not fully grabbed by the story yet. That's more of a me thing, I think I just need to get more warmed up to it. I'm really looking forward to Mon Mothma coming in. I do like how much darker the tone is, it really feels like the first Star Wars project that doesn't have kids in mind as the target audience.

I'm not going to get into the difference between books, comics, and the film/show offerings. But they are selling this, like Rogue One, on Saga imagery. Just like they did with Obi-Wan. You can't make this show without the Empire or the Rebellion, and that's straight up,100% saga material. To the point that even with Boba being on Tatooine, this feels more Saga then Boba. And Boba, like Mando, is 100% Saga material.
Like he said, it’s a different POV. Everyone will have different ideas of what makes a project “part of the Skywalker Saga” in their eyes, and that’s 100% ok, whether you think it’s valid or not.

Like he said, it’s a different POV. Everyone will have different ideas of what makes a project “part of the Skywalker Saga” in their eyes, and that’s 100% ok, whether you think it’s valid or not.
Others can have a different opinion of course, but this is a conversation that happens with nearly every new show (Obi-Wan being the major exception) outside of the ST, and I think it's an interesting conversation to define what makes something not apart of the Saga.

It was said the Mando wasn't, and then it became not only cameo central, but integrated the PT and OT firmly into it. Rogue One was said to be "different Star Wars", even with Vader running around, with the Death Star being the looming threat. Reading the articles for Andor, there is emphasis on no Jedi, no lightsabers, no Skywalkers, etc. About how this is so "different". This is of course not accounting for where the next 21 episodes of this show goes. Will we see Vader? Hear his beautiful computer generated tones? Will he visit Mon Mothma, a Saga character who is a major player here? How about Bail?

I think it's fair to argue, especially when the basis for the arguments, contradict. After all, the Sequel Trilogy isn't about a Skywalker, and yet firmly considered a part of the Skywalker Saga.

Others can have a different opinion of course, but this is a conversation that happens with nearly every new show (Obi-Wan being the major exception) outside of the ST, and I think it's an interesting conversation to define what makes something not apart of the Saga.

It was said the Mando wasn't, and then it became not only cameo central, but integrated the PT and OT firmly into it. Rogue One was said to be "different Star Wars", even with Vader running around, with the Death Star being the looming threat. Reading the articles for Andor, there is emphasis on no Jedi, no lightsabers, no Skywalkers, etc. About how this is so "different". This is of course not accounting for where the next 21 episodes of this show goes. Will we see Vader? Hear his beautiful computer generated tones? Will he visit Mon Mothma, a Saga character who is a major player here? How about Bail?

I think it's fair to challenge, especially when the basis for the arguments, contradict. After all, the Sequel Trilogy isn't about a Skywalker, and yet firmly considered a part of the Skywalker Saga.
From your POV, sure. But that’s not shared by everyone, which is fine. I STILL don’t consider Mando part of the main saga, because tangential connections don’t count as “main” for me. My qualifier is, if it doesn’t star one of the LEAD characters from the main saga, it’s not part of the main saga. If there ain’t a Skywalker in a major role in the project, then it ain’t part of the Skywalker Saga for me. Period. You may disagree with the validity of that, and that’s your prerogative, but it makes perfect sense to me, which is all that matters.

But if you think this is the first time Star Wars has ever dealt with race and class structure, I would point you to a little film called TPM, and the Gungans. The clone army, a group of brown slaves, the white supremacist sect of the Mandos, the Tusken Raiders, or at least a half a dozen TCW stories.

I do think that it is probably the first time that Star Wars has directly pulled racism from our world, ie based on the color of their skin, is probably throwing people for a loop.

I do think that it is probably the first time that Star Wars has directly pulled racism from our world, ie based on the color of their skin, is probably throwing people for a loop.
A direct reference on a movie/show? Maybe, though I feel like there has been something before. But the allegory has been there a lot.

From your POV, sure. But that’s not shared by everyone, which is fine. I STILL don’t consider Mando part of the main saga, because tangential connections don’t count as “main” for me. My qualifier is, if it doesn’t star one of the LEAD characters from the main saga, it’s not part of the main saga. If there ain’t a Skywalker in a major role in the project, then it ain’t part of the Skywalker Saga for me. Period. You may disagree with the validity of that, and that’s your prerogative, but it makes perfect sense to me, which is all that matters.
Is TCW, Saga, to you?

That is what was odd about it. Usually it is like you say, some other aliens in place of what they want to say. This time it is a Mexican actor and they point it out immediately. Yes he is playing Kenari, but they do make you think Mexican immigration right away. Diego even gives a nod to the camera, it is really on the nose and poorly written in that regard. Like I said I don't recall it being done this way before. Usually you have to put the pieces together. This time they put together the puzzle, framed it, and hung it on the wall. So it was odd to see in the first 10 minutes. Doesn't ruin the show for me, just stands out as maybe they don't have much nuance in their writing. Some characters are already interesting so they can do it. We shall see how the story progresses.

Oh and I ask again did anyone notice that Kyle Soller was the only guy in his company that had no accent? He is American so I thought maybe he was just British doing an American accent since everyone around him was British, but no he is American. I think I still prefer bad guys with British accents in Star Wars. They just seem so much more quotable.

That is what was odd about it. Usually it is like you say, some other aliens in place of what they want to say. This time it is a Mexican actor and they point it out immediately. Yes he is playing Kenari, but they do make you think Mexican immigration right away. Diego even gives a nod to the camera, it is really on the nose and poorly written in that regard. Like I said I don't recall it being done this way before. Usually you have to put the pieces together. This time they put together the puzzle, framed it, and hung it on the wall. So it was odd to see in the first 10 minutes. Doesn't ruin the show for me, just stands out as maybe they don't have much nuance in their writing. Some characters are already interesting so they can do it. We shall see how the story progresses.

Oh and I ask again did anyone notice that Kyle Soller was the only guy in his company that had no accent? He is American so I thought maybe he was just British doing an American accent since everyone around him was British, but no he is American. I think I still prefer bad guys with British accents in Star Wars. They just seem so much more quotable.
In Star Wars, everyone is an "alien" to the planet that isn't their home world, whether they are in heavy makeup or not. The line fit the backstory of immigrant, which a lot of Star Wars folk are. So technically, they didn't really do anything. It's your mind making the real world connection. Like people have done for years with "real world" stand-ins in Star Wars. Both those for good and for ill... *stares at the Trade Federation*

Also this conversation just made me realize, that Luke legally has three "home worlds" including an asteroid, and Leia has four. :eek:

I will say this - releasing these 3 episodes at once was pretty much a necessity for this show.
I just watched them today and I agree - don’t think it would have worked at all if they’d dropped these one a week with the pacing of the first 2. Great visuals and a good foundation, plus it feels different enough to what’s come before. Looking forward to more and they definitely made the right move dropping these in one go and getting me invested and anticipating the 4th, rather than having to wait 3 weeks to get there.

A direct reference on a movie/show? Maybe, though I feel like there has been something before. But the allegory has been there a lot.

Yeah, the allegory has been there. They are pretty blatant about it in Lost Stars. But not so much in the popular media.

In Star Wars, everyone is an "alien" to the planet that isn't their home world, whether they are in heavy makeup or not. The line fit the backstory of immigrant, which a lot of Star Wars folk are. So technically, they didn't really do anything. It's your mind making the real world connection. Like people have done for years with "real world" stand-ins in Star Wars. Both those for good and for ill... *stares at the Trade Federation*

Also this conversation just made me realize, that Luke legally has three "home worlds" including an asteroid, and Leia has four. :eek:
Well like I said I just found it odd, if you didn't that's ok. Just ponder this though briefly. This show Andor is starring A Mexican actor, they released it during hispanic heritage month, and right away we get the nod to swimming over. Coincidence? I don't think it is much of a stretch. Doesn't ruin the show, just stood out. We can move on from it.

I would like you to expand on the home worlds. Which ones did you have in mind. I was thinking wherever you are born is your homeplanet. This does bring up the question though what if you are born in space during transit? So maybe home world is dependent on your parents origin? Again what if one parent is from one planet and the other from a different planet? So it is interesting. What planet is your home planet exactly? I guess each person has to register with a planet of origin.

It really depends on what you’re pulling from. In Legends storytelling the Empire was Xenophobic (anti-alien), sexist, homophobic and “traditionally” racist.

With canon they pretty much did away with a lot of that. You had several books, comics, video games and animated content where women, LGBT folks and POC were pretty high up in the Imperial hierarchy and no one batted an eye. They kept the Xenophobia and hatred of aliens though, which the Thrawn novels contextualised as a holdover from Anti-Separatist sentiment (since the Confederacy was primarily headed by Non humans).

Canon’s also added emphasis on elitism. People born in the core and mid-rim are seen as higher class than those from the Outer Rim, or Wild Space, who are seen as backwards hicks and peoples accents are frequently remarked upon. Cassian with his specific accent would likely be disparaged by core worlders, who largely speak in variations of British accents.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Finally finished the third ep after watching the first two earlier in the week. And by watching, I mean struggling through-- man, they were boring. Third one has redeemed it a bit though, solid 40 mins.

Great looking show, though.

Oh and I ask again did anyone notice that Kyle Soller was the only guy in his company that had no accent?

Canon’s also added emphasis on elitism. People born in the core and mid-rim are seen as higher class than those from the Outer Rim, or Wild Space, who are seen as backwards hicks and peoples accents are frequently remarked upon. Cassian with his specific accent would likely be disparaged by core worlders, who largely speak in variations of British accents.

Syril Karn's (Kyle Soller's) accent (and implied heritage as a non-core-worlder) might be why he tries so hard to gain recognition as a model corporate employee.

The writing's still a little messy, and I'm not sure the flashbacks were handled well, but overall this is the only decent Star Wars show and the best thing they've done since The Last Jedi. I honestly surprised how good the show is given I didn't enjoy Rogue One at all, but I guess that goes to show there was only so much Gilroy could patch on that film and they should've just hired him from the beginning. The score's nice, too.

And this specific shot from episode 3 was incredible. Gave me classic western vibes.

Cassian-Threatening-To-Kill-Karn-in-Andor-1.jpg

I like the corporate authorities angle. Wasn't expecting that, didn't click to me that's what I was looking at in the trailers, but very neat and a nice change of pace.

I liked the contrast between the general Pre-Mor attitude, vs when Karn brought in his cop squad. Preox-Morlana isn't The Empire, and doesn't feel like The Empire. . . but it definitely has imperial sympathizers ( wannabes? ) within it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"