Season 3, Episode 10: "Collision Course" (SPOILERS)

The amount of hatred that I have for Kyle is unhealthy. He is a deadbeat loser who always looks unkempt, and who hazes a teenage boy at his first job. He responds to his children’s poor mental health by cheating on his wife and hitting the bottle. Then after his daughter’s life is saved by a super powered being his brilliant plan is to go and angrily confront the teenager who he suspects to have powers. The funny part is that in a family of three males, he had a nearly 67% chance to choose the right one if he just chose at random. But he is so stupid that his “educated guess” is wrong.

seriously, @$&/( this guy!

And while we are at it, I would be very concerned about Jordan if I were Lois and Clark. That kid is seriously not safe to have powers. If this show doesn’t continue, my head cannon will be that he will become Superboy Prime in a couple of years.

Btw, sucks that I’m always a week or two late and not in here talking this show with everyone.

All that said, this season has been amazing!

Let’s talk about things Kyle has done right:

Firefighter. Dedicated to saving lives and homes and businesses. Has successfully shown commitment and skill at the job for enough years to become Fire Chief.

Showed compassion to a screw-up ex-jock at the centre of a drug scandal. Set one condition for the new recruit: Follow procedures and do things by the book, to keep everyone safe.

Loving father to his two daughters. Has shown nothing but gentlemanly respect and support for his ex-wife following the breakup of their marriage.

Let’s talk about things Kyle has done right:

Firefighter. Dedicated to saving lives and homes and businesses. Has successfully shown commitment and skill at the job for enough years to become Fire Chief.

Showed compassion to a screw-up ex-jock at the centre of a drug scandal. Set one condition for the new recruit: Follow procedures and do things by the book, to keep everyone safe.

Loving father to his two daughters. Has shown nothing but gentlemanly respect and support for his ex-wife following the breakup of their marriage.
Not to be argumentative, but I am not impressed with the second talking point that you mention. It kind of encapsulates everything that I dislike about Kyle: his actions and decisions poison any good that he does. Yes, he showed compassion toward Jonathan when he was down and out and gave him a job. But he immediately starts hazing him at that job. And I get it, that can be the culture in those situations. But when the show presents someone as altruistic as Superman as the benchmark, having a character like Kyle deliberately disrespect and humiliate a teenage kid at work in an effort to toughen him up does not ingratiate the character.
The same thing goes for his family. Sure, he is trying to remain involved and not be a deadbeat. That’s honorable and good. But it was the guy’s own decisions and selfishness that played a huge part in setting the marriage on the course for failure in the first place. And with their daughter’s history, both Kyle and Lana need to get their acts together and stop being so self absorbed.

The car saving scene in this episode felt quite similar to a page from my unfinished Superman comic.
supersave.jpg
In this scene, Lana and Pete have gone for a drunk joyride after a party but lose control and young Clark comes in and saves them.

Not to be argumentative, but I am not impressed with the second talking point that you mention. It kind of encapsulates everything that I dislike about Kyle: his actions and decisions poison any good that he does. Yes, he showed compassion toward Jonathan when he was down and out and gave him a job. But he immediately starts hazing him at that job. And I get it, that can be the culture in those situations. But when the show presents someone as altruistic as Superman as the benchmark, having a character like Kyle deliberately disrespect and humiliate a teenage kid at work in an effort to toughen him up does not ingratiate the character.
The same thing goes for his family. Sure, he is trying to remain involved and not be a deadbeat. That’s honorable and good. But it was the guy’s own decisions and selfishness that played a huge part in setting the marriage on the course for failure in the first place. And with their daughter’s history, both Kyle and Lana need to get their acts together and stop being so self absorbed.

Thank you for valuing polite discussion. Yes, fans will inevitably disagree about things, but we can be calm and polite about it, and everybody wins that way.

I think that what's bothering me about the heated reactions to Kyle that I've been reading in this forum is that those reactions seem out of proportion to Kyle's actions. For example, Kyle made the decision to have an affair, and in doing so he hurt his family, and his decision is having lasting consequences, but he seems to have repented and seems to be trying to make what amends he still can by being a good father. He never intended to hurt his family, and that certainly doesn't excuse what he did, but it counts for something. He's not a villain. I get the impression that some fans feel that Kyle's fault in the breakup of his marriage means that he should not now be in a relationship with Chrissy, but two single adults have every right to find happiness together if that's what they both want.

Regarding Kyle being angry at Jonathan for suspected use of super-powers while fighting fires, I think that Kyle is justified. The leader of a hazardous-situation response team needs to know the full capabilities of each of the team's members, to direct them to where they can most effectively and safely deal with the emergency, and throughout the emergency needs to know at all times where everyone is and what they're doing. Jon's supposed freeze-breath could have injured a person, or may have been better used elsewhere, or Kyle might have sent firefighters into the burning building where they could have been injured trying to rescue a secretly-invulnerable rogue team member who did not need rescuing.

To me, Kyle comes across as a generic drama series character, and so I get the frustration that people feel when screen time is devoted to a Kyle side-story instead of a Superman storyline. When Kyle is part of a Superman storyline, he seems to be there for when the plot needs the main characters to deal with a nuisance but not a full-scale antagonist.

I think that's what's at the core of the — how shall I put this? — the very expressive hatred of Kyle that shows up in this forum, that it's not really about his harmful choices or his abrasive personality, that it's instead about screen time that goes to this side-character instead of to the main characters. I think that it's like in school, where a kid is awkward and unpopular through no terrible fault of his own, and so everyone starts making fun of something easier to point to such as his hair.

Finally got around to watching this. Sort of put it off, as the story got a little too close recently, but its all right now.

I liked it. Really siding with Sarah over Jordan on this one. Though, once again, lol at Junior being accused of underaged drinking.

Kyle getting a bit overeager about his super theory was a bit much, but damn, I loved the reveal with Clark. I just love how Hoechlin is able to convey the restrained use of his strength, just like in the diner scene earlier in the season. The two finger shove was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"