Season 3, Episode 2: "Uncontrollable Forces" (SPOILERS)

This fracking show. It got me like,

RaGkW5F.gif

These first two episodes were absolute gold. Right up there with the pilot and "A Brief Reminiscence" for best of the show for me. I'm a big fan of how they've decided to change up the usual pairings, and absolutely adored Sarah getting to have some fun after a couple of seasons of being kind of miserable. Same with Lana and her potential upgrade of a partner.

With the cancer storyline. It hurts, but it also works. What I just really hope is that it's not tied to Clark in anyway. I really don't want this to be a result of his trip to the sun last season.

Hmm, I wonder if Lex is trying to trick Superman into blaming himself for Lois' cancer. It would be a recycled plot, but considering the number of times DC has done Flashpoint, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm still wondering about maps and travel times — and now license plates — for this show. Apparently, Metropolis isn't a city, it's the large state bordered by Kansas to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.

More classic Superman moments they can adapt. Johns will never be a fave of mine, but he has his moments:

a1jS8CI7ceo.jpg

Would like to get something like this with maybe Steel in Nightwing's place or something:

supermannightwing.jpg

I absolutely EXPECT to see this moment between Clark and one of his sons at some point, Show, or there will be consequences. :argh: -

DadSupes1.jpg

Also as an aside, would love to get a voiceover/montage from Lois in this vein at some point (this from the illustrious writer of Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania :hehe: ):

GlassesByJeffLovenessExcerpt.jpg

Ok I'm falling down a rabbit hole now and should stop. :funny:

In keeping with how this show combines traits of two DC characters into one, this version of Onomatopoeia seems to have Silver Banshee's power.

In keeping with how this show combines traits of two DC characters into one, this version of Onomatopoeia seems to have Silver Banshee's power.

Given the skills that she's portrayed in the last two episodes, I'm starting to wonder why they didn't just use Silver Banshee instead.

Given the skills that she's portrayed in the last two episodes, I'm starting to wonder why they didn't just use Silver Banshee instead.
As a fan of neither character, I think Supergirl demonstrated how hard it is to make Silver Banshee look good on a budget, lol. This character at least has a much cooler design to work from.

As a fan of neither character, I think Supergirl demonstrated how hard it is to make Silver Banshee look good on a budget, lol. This character at least has a much cooler design to work from.
Challenging, but a Rorschach mask that morphs into a skull pattern could look good without looking comical.

@flickchick85

Thanks again for all of the referred panels. I really hope that the show delivers some great Superman centric moments before it comes to an end.

On another note, did anyone else feel like the quality for the CGI backdrop looked cheap (e.g., Flash, Supergirl) when compared to past episodes?

I'm still wondering about maps and travel times — and now license plates — for this show. Apparently, Metropolis isn't a city, it's the large state bordered by Kansas to the west and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
It appears that S&L has adopted Smallville geography. I.e., Metropolis is a major, world-class city located in… the state of Kansas. :crso: Thus, Sarah and Natalie could drive to Metropolis and back in a few (plot convenient) hours.

Two episodes in and I'm still trying to figure out what this season's arc is for Superman and Jonathan. Everyone else seems to have very clear arcs planned out for them.

Personally, I feel like their character developments got lost in the shuffle last year in favor of gimmicks (e.g., bizarro dopplegangers).

There's something particularly villainous about Mannheim shouting "Superman! Come to my house right now!" only to then demand "Superman! Get out of my house, and don't ever come back!"

First of all, **** the CW app. Had to restart about 4 times to get all the way through.

Man, this season is going to make me sad, isn't it. Great performances, but man, so sad.

I love the stuff at the gazette. "It was one time". "Where are all the paper weights"

I loved Sarah being Nat's wingwoman. I enjoyed the whole party. It was fun.

Happy for flickchick for her ship to move forward.

From the thread "Micheal Bishop Is Jonathan Kent":
At this point, I feel like this season is either now or never when it comes to giving Jonathan some kind of equalizer that allows him to actively participate in the family's heroics.

Jordan has powers and Natalie has a Steel Suit of her own. Even though Lois doesn't have any powers or special equipment, being a reporter allows her to get involved in the main storylines.

Jonathan's balance of Lois' and Clark's DNA, at a level that Jonathan's human(-like) physiology can handle, has the potential to be a miracle cure for Lois' cancer.

I think Lois and her family would have way more impact as role models if Lois were to go through surgery and chemo, though.

...Jonathan's balance of Lois' and Clark's DNA, at a level that Jonathan's human(-like) physiology can handle, has the potential to be a miracle cure for Lois' cancer.

I think Lois and her family would have way more impact as role models if Lois were to go through surgery and chemo, though.

Yeah, I think it would greatly undercut the drama and gravitas if Lois’s illness ends up being caused by “sci-fi” and is (eventually) cured by “sci-fi.”

The episode was powerful and emotional.

Once again , it makes me grateful that WBD didn't pull the plug on it for the sake ,and the desire ,of " everything being connected in the new DCU" .

It's series like Superman and Lois and films like The Batman which demonstrate that you can tell emotional and dynamic stories without having to be part of some larger, interconnected, cinematic, plan.

I'll get off my mini soapbox now.:beaming:.

Some thoughts about the future of this show.

1. I am sure the cast will chew the scenery with the melodrama of Lois' cancer.
2. The ratings for the show will drop, as the focus naturally goes toward Lois, rather than Superman.
3. There will be an absurd Hobson's choice to save Lois' life. Given the ability for powers to be given that was saw, it likely will be connected. Superman having to bend a knee to Luthor?

I have enjoyed the look of this show. But increasingly I find its story less compelling.

Some thoughts about the future of this show.

1. I am sure the cast will chew the scenery with the melodrama of Lois' cancer.
2. The ratings for the show will drop, as the focus naturally goes toward Lois, rather than Superman.
3. There will be an absurd Hobson's choice to save Lois' life. Given the ability for powers to be given that was saw, it likely will be connected. Superman having to bend a knee to Luthor?

I have enjoyed the look of this show. But increasingly I find its story less compelling.

The rating for this episode was decreased from last week's premiere. We'll see if it drops more, increases back, or remain the same.

They had to focus on Lois after focusing on Lana last season.

All I have to say is, give Bitsie Tulloch her damn Emmy RIGHT NOW. The way she emotes, her shifting from 'Reporter Lois' to being scared for her own mortality is everything. Also loved the confrontation between Superman and Bruno.

Jeez, but when Superman held Lois and they cried together?

giphy.gif

This season is starting so well, hope they keep it up.

That's certainly one. You could also just randomly pick a panel from Up in the Sky and you've got a great moment.

supesky_full.png

30558864._SX540_.jpg

99srubq9f4w71.jpg

30c2414a0a6979c9c30dfabfbd9cdb61fe594361.jpg

I could see some version of the dialogue from the last example being used as a coda for this season in some way. I mean, as far as I can tell, it’s literally the theme of this entire season. It fits way too perfectly.

Finally caught up on this show.

I had no idea the cancer storyline was coming. After the shock it’s great to see it handled so well by the cast. Feels like it’s going add a lot of weight to the season dramatically. The scene where Lois lets Clark/Superman know on the top of the building was very emotional and well done.

Some fluffier bits:

Poor lost puppy Jordan. :funny: I really like the actor they’ve gone with, can be very convincingly dopey. Was funny how his hair came up as a relevant topic (not sure if that was this episode).

The new villains this season seem a step up. Good to see.

Where are the paperweights? :D I like Chrissy knowing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"