Supergirl Season 4, Episode 12: "Menagerie" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Description:
DC COMICS VILLAIN MENAGERIE APPEARS — With his P.I. shingle newly hung outside his office, J’onn (David Harewood) welcomes new clients. Trying to take her mind off what happened at the DEO, Kara (Melissa Benoist) decides to team up with J’onn on his latest assignment, which unfortunately ends up tying directly into Alex’s (Chyler Leigh) current investigation that involves the villain Menagerie (guest star Jessica Meraz). Meanwhile, Lena (Katie McGrath) shares some news with James (Mehcad Brooks), but his reaction isn’t what she expected. Nia (Nicole Maines) invites Brainy (Jesse Rath) to her Valentine’s Day party. Stefan Pleszczynski directed the episode with story by Robert Rovner and teleplay by Daniel Beaty & Greg Baldwin (#412). Original airdate 2/17/2019.

Promo:

Last edited:
February 17. So a mini break in the schedule?

Well, they’re skipping Super Bowl Sunday, obviously. Not sure why they’re skipping the next week, though.

February 10th is the Grammy Awards. I suspect the show will also skip February 24th for the Oscars.

Ah yes, the Grammys. I knew there was some event I was missing, lol. And yeah, I certainly hope they take Oscar Sunday off as well. I don't mind these short gaps.

Edited OP with episode description.

Why unfortunately? Are they going to fight?

I think that’s a safe assumption since Alex has told her to stay out of DEO affairs as she no longer works there.

At least Menagerie seems to have her proper powers. Come on, Manchester.

I just got home so I missed the first half, but I am appreciating this translation of Menagerie's powers so far.

Of course, this would be a good time for Lena to turn to her best friend Kara, but then she wouldn't be forcibly isolated from the rest of the cast so she can "go dark." :whatever: Hope she and James are actually done now at least. They've been such a drag on otherwise good eps.

Last edited:
I knew Lena would accept the government contract over her relationship with James.

I like the idea of Supergirl, J’onn, Brainiac 5, Alex, and Nia working together. Nia’s costume looks great as I hope there will be no Gillette shaving jokes.

Menagerie did well as a villain and Ben Lockwood is free. A lot has moved forward, but there is something missing in this episode.

Ok now having watched the whole episode, I've gathered that something else is going on with Lena. They had her weirdly worrying with her phone throughout the ep. I'm guessing it's to do with Lex.

Ok now having watched the whole episode, I've gathered that something else is going on with Lena. They had her weirdly worrying with her phone throughout the ep. I'm guessing it's to do with Lex.

That's what I thought, because that was on her mind even before any government contracts came up.

Although why did Lena still bother setting off to Paris if Colonel Hayley had already approached her and she knew this was going to be a sticky issue for both her and James? And why does she even feel that she needs to help weaponise the military? Does she think that aliens are a danger?

I think Lex has something on her and is coercing her to go along with this somehow, and that Paris trip was just her entertaining a desperate notion to flee the country with James and escape her predicament, even though deep down she knew it was futile. That’s my wild speculation anyway, hopefully it will seem clearer in upcoming eps. But yeah there’s something fishy going there, imo.

I think Lex has something on her and is coercing her to go along with this somehow, and that Paris trip was just her entertaining a desperate notion to flee the country with James and escape her predicament, even though deep down she knew it was futile. That’s my wild speculation anyway, hopefully it will seem clearer in upcoming eps. But yeah there’s something fishy going there, imo.

I think Lex will reveal that Lena is really Irish and that she has an Irish accent and has been faking an American one all this time. :p

Good ep. I'm glad we're getting back to Alex having a personal life and wanting to be a mother. Seeing Kara working with J'onn and Alex was sweet too, though I want to see them interacting as Supergirl and Agent Danvers. I want to see that relationship develop and thaw out.

It was good seeing Nia donning her costume, and that she does not seem to have any super strength as I thought I saw in the trailer. Nice little twist now with Brainy having romantic feelings for her at the end, just as she seemed to brush him off about the chocolates. And I agree, he was pretty entertaining in this one. Then again, he usually is!

As for the CoL, I really hope we finish off with them soon. I'm tired of them now, esp as he is now out of prison on a technicality..? Something in the Patriot Act that excuses killing aliens, whether or not they are US citizens..? Is that what happened, and now we're going to have people thinking they can kill aliens willy-nilly?

Ugh, I would much rather they hurry up and get to Red Daughter and Lex and to please try and keep Lena on the good side!

I've never had a problem with her relationship with James, as I much prefer him with Lena rather than with Kara. Hopefully we'll find out soon what was bugging her out on her phone, and maybe what was on there was the impetus for her breaking up with James. If she thinks her personal life is about to get dangerous, she may have pushed him away to save him from what was coming. I hope. I still have hope that Lena is going to stay on the right path. Being a Luthor doesn't mean you have to play like a Luthor.

I was a little let down by this one and honestly I think it's a bit of a waste to have Nia in costume. I mean she basically has no physical powers, what is the point? Unless she gets some skills or something, it's really dumb to have her suit up. I like the character, but I think this was not a smart move.

I did love Brainy and Nia's roommate, that was hilarious

I was a little let down by this one and honestly I think it's a bit of a waste to have Nia in costume. I mean she basically has no physical powers, what is the point? Unless she gets some skills or something, it's really dumb to have her suit up. I like the character, but I think this was not a smart move.
I do kinda' agree on this. She's gone from a nervous reporter to a costume wearing superheroine that's quite happy to hit someone with a led pipe. Woah!! Hold on just a minute.

I do kinda' agree on this. She's gone from a nervous reporter to a costume wearing superheroine that's quite happy to hit someone with a led pipe. Woah!! Hold on just a minute.

She needs to pipe down.

We are Venom... I mean Menagerie :cwink:

Enjoyed this episode. Also not a big fan of Nia suiting up, but it's something the CW forces on these shows. A team of superheroes.

I didn't mind Lena and James together like some did, so I'm indifferent to them breaking up.

Loved seeing Kara and J'onn teaming up.

So, I laughed when J'onn and Kara stumbled on the crime scene at the same time as the DEO. The whole house wasn't surrounded and they happened to just walk into the front door with no problem.

I'm still just waiting for Manchester and the Elite.

Hope James gets fired the thought of what's meant to be one of the most respected journalists in the country blowing off a story to keep his girlfriend happy is ridiculous.

Lena's starting to annoy me as well that whole speech about how she needs James to be her moral compass in this mission and it was completely ignored at the very first time of him giving his input. She needs to become a villain, the fact she's even contemplating giving that research to the government is something a villain would do. I like Lena as a character but think that would suit her best.

Might have just been me but that Menagerie monster and the actress were both terrible

6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"